PM to join Riding Like the Drykas

Taylani gets serious about learning to ride.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Riding Like the Drykas

Postby Taylani on December 1st, 2013, 2:53 pm

Time Stamp Winter 10th 513

The bite of winter could be felt now, still not the bone chilling cold in Syliras but definitely Fall had left and Winter had replaced it. The grass of the plains have turned crunchy and more yellow the green, and the fires in the evening more welcoming then ever.

In the day time it was still possible to be comfortable with simply a cloak around your shoulders, thanks to Endrykas migrating patterns but in the evening it got cold if one did not have a fire to stave off the elements. So it is not unusual to see even more activity during the day, though the Drykas were not a lazy people even in the height of Summer but during the winter days the relative warmth of the light of Syna made tasks sometimes left till dark more bearable.

However this day one young woman found herself not on the outskirts of the city, but definitely in the outer pavilions where most were being taken down preparing for that day's shift in the run. The red headed Taylani stood with her horse that she had purchased early in her captivity, a Yvas slung over one arm and a saddle blanket over the other. Green linen breeches covered her legs, and a lavender blouse cut low enough to expose pale skin but not low enough to be indecent. A cloak also graced her shoulders, tied loosely around the slender column of her neck.

"Now Freedom. We are going to try this, and we are going to work hard.." She speaks in common to the horse, putting the Yvas on the ground so that she could throw the saddle blanket over the back of the roan. The horse was a very small adult female, with a rich golden coat with slightly lighter spots adorning its sides. A blonde mane and tail also graced the beautiful if small animal. Her hands try and straighten the saddle blanket, trying to make sure that the padding lay right before she hefts the Yvas up and over.

Inexperienced hands fumble with the straps, having watched Fallan do this, and having watched the Amethyst clansmen who worked the horses do so too she was confident that she knew how. It just was a matter of not wanting to hurt the horse. Her fingers fret over the buckling before finally the clasp and the hook slide into the hole and settled into place..one down and four more to go.

Taylani
Captivated

Words: 541241
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2013, 4:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Riding Like the Drykas

Postby Aran Windblown on December 1st, 2013, 5:02 pm

Aran tilted his face towards the warmth of Syna, a small smile on his face. Winter was his favorite season. The brisk air was a joy to ride in, seeming to lend extra speed to Anyalvis when he and Aran had messages to carry farther than normal. Conversely, the brisk air also brought out Anyalvis's more mischievous side.

Aran was walking through camp, offering help here and there, when he spotted a red-haired woman standing next to a gold roan attempting to put the yvas on. The roan was standing patiently, but it was clear that the woman was struggling. Aran made his way over, replying to a few greetings thrown his way. "Hello," he greeted, but then recognized the woman and switched to common. "You're Fallon's woman, aren't you?" Looking over the progress she'd made so far, he added, "First time using a yvas yourself?"

The woman-- Taylani, he thought her name was-- had managed to get the blanket on right side up, and the yvas strap she had was buckled in the right place, but it was a few holes too loose. Not a bad start, Aran mused, but it was clear that the woman hadn't worked with horses much in her life.
"Pavi"
"Common"
"Tukant"

School and family have been very busy lately; as such, while I am trying to keep up with Mizahar, my muse is feeling very finicky. I will reply ASAP.
Aran Windblown
Player

Words: 41102
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Riding Like the Drykas

Postby Taylani on December 1st, 2013, 9:22 pm

Taylani didn't think this was right. The Yvas was too loose, and she wasn't at all sure that she could hang onto it while riding let alone help her mounting. She was just about ready to unbuckle and try again when she heard a voice. There were so many horses in Endrykas, and people that Taylani didn't even note when the other had rode up, so when he speaks she straightens quickly with surprise but not fear.

Taylani turned toward the voice, and looked at him from top to bottom before she responded first in Pavi, "Hello" her hand gestures were hesitant and jerky, she knew at least that word, before she returned to common. She knew that if she had been in Syliras with Fallan and someone had called her his woman, with their current relationship she would have simply smiled and agreed. However, out here and the circumstances that she had become quite literally 'his' woman caused her to bristle. She was free now, Fallan had given that to her and even offered to take her back to Syliras and she had declined. Seeking, instead, to build a life willingly out here. That did not mean that she enjoyed being referred to as 'His' woman any better.

However she only bit back the retort that she was her own woman, and gave a tight smile. "I am Taylani, yes. " She eyed his clothing for the telltale signs of his clan, having learned that Drykas displayed their clan name in the colors. He looked familiar though she had spent most of last season trying to ignore the Drykas. "Your Amethyst clan right?" Again in common, and conversational though she turned back to the buckles, unlacing the first one.

"I am hopelessly ignorant to horses..or really animals in general." The conversational tone is kept, "I have ridden a couple of times ..with Fallan and once by myself. I am going to need to learn better though."

Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Riding Like the Drykas

Postby Aran Windblown on December 1st, 2013, 10:44 pm

Aran could see that something he had said upset Taylani, but he didn't know what it was. Instead, he opted to answer her. "Yes, I am Amethyst; my name is Aran." He watched her fiddle with the yvas for another moment, noting that she seemed to know the theory of what needed doing; she just lacked the skill. "I can teach you, if you wish," he offered. "You've got a good start, just need some help building on the foundation of what you have."

The Drykas stepped forward, straightened the blanket that had become lopsided when Taylani had undone the buckle. He patted the horse on the neck, murmuring softly in Pavi to it. Gesturing to the yvas, Aran explained, "You had the yvas positioned properly on-- What's his name? Anyway; you had it positioned properly, the buckle just wasn't secured tightly enough." He demonstrated, pulling the yvas strap that acted as a girth tightly enough that the yvas and blanket would not move, but not tightly enough to restrict the horse's breathing or movement. "You don't want to put this up another hole until you're ready to mount, since you're a beginner. Once you're more experienced, and your horse trusts you more, you'll be able to tighten it all the way on the first time."
"Pavi"
"Common"
"Tukant"

School and family have been very busy lately; as such, while I am trying to keep up with Mizahar, my muse is feeling very finicky. I will reply ASAP.
Aran Windblown
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Riding Like the Drykas

Postby Taylani on December 1st, 2013, 10:58 pm

After she tilted her head, her red hair having fallen to one side though being partially braided in Drykas custom kept it from being too errant in its flow, Taylani crouched easily so that she could watch as he took up buckling the Yvas. Her fingers raised to count the holes that he had skipped, so that she could learn just the right tightness.

"Her name is Freedom." the former dancer answered, standing easily. Soon enough she would not be able to move with such fluid ease, the unconscious awareness of her body that was trained into her muscle memory with years upon years of dance lessons would only continue so long into her pregnancy before her ungainly weight will impede upon it. But for now, Taylani still enjoyed the grace and balance of one who had devoted her life to training her body.

"If she were to gain weight or lose weight would it change the ..." She waved her hand at the buckle Yvas, not sure what to call the tightness of the harness. "I mean would I need to tighten it or loosen, how would you know if it is too tight or too loose?"

Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Riding Like the Drykas

Postby Aran Windblown on December 1st, 2013, 11:26 pm

"Freedom, hm?" Aran smiled. "A good name for a good mare." Then, Aran nodded at Taylani's question. "Yes, if her weight changed, it would affect how loose or tight you needed the girth to be." Slipping one hand between the girth and Freedom's belly, he demonstrated, "See how my hand fits between her and the girth? That's a snug fit; it will stay, but it will move to the sides some as she moves." Tightening the girth another hole, he returned his hand to its former position. "This is how tight you want it to be; there should be some resistance when you attempt to insert your hand between her belly and the girth." Double-checking the blanket to make sure it hadn't rubbed the mare's fur the wrong way, he continued.

"When you put the blanket and yvas on, you want the blanket to come up two or three fingers' width from the withers initially; once you put the yvas on, you want to slowly slide the blanket and yvas back together until the yvas falls in the dip behind the shoulder. If the blanket is of the correct thickness, then when you put your hand between the blanket and shoulder, under the yvas, there should be a firm pressure, but it shouldn't be pinning your hand," he explained while demonstrating. "This allows your horse full range of movement; if the yvas is too far up or back, it will inhibit the way Freedom's shoulders move, and she won't be able to move as efficiently. If you ride her for too long without adjusting it, then it will cause her pain."
"Pavi"
"Common"
"Tukant"

Aran Windblown
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Riding Like the Drykas

Postby Kaiphur on December 1st, 2013, 11:40 pm

Kaiphur lead Laithe further out from the busy centre of the city. Her strong body kept him warm, her soft nostrils blowing warm air into his frizzy curls. Smiling, he stroked the horse’s neck. She was the only creature he could fully trust. Sturdy yet graceful, intelligent yet unintimidating – it was easy for the usually uncomfortable and uptight young man to feel relaxed. Being in control of an animal that held such power was slowly working away on building up his confidence.

He continued walking out with her, escaping from the buzz. It was easy to see the harsh beauty of Cyphrus here when hills were just visible on the horizon and the grass stretched for miles. This truly was a land for the horselords. Larger and larger patches of grass were emerging in between the stalls and tents, and he settled down to let Laithe graze on the tough grasses.

“I really wish I could ride, you know. You'd be better with a skilled rider sitting on your back and calling the shots! You must be pretty unimpressed by me.” Kaiphur spoke gently, his throat still hoarse from the effects of his cold, and Laithe responded by nuzzling into the side of his face. A short bark of laughter escaped from his smiling lips. It had been a long time since he’d been happy enough to laugh. Laithe bent her knees and settled next to him, lying down and providing a cosy support. A friend to relax with… A gildling was just as good as any human! Kaiphur noticed her ears twitching just as he began to pick up on another conversation. Two figures, each with their own horse, were framed in the distance.

“Up, girl.” He stood up and nudged Laithe with his foot. Tugging on the leather contraption that framed her face, he slowly walked towards the individuals. One of them was instantly recognisable.

“Aran?” Kaiphur called. It was too late to walk away, he’d probably already been seen. He hadn’t bonded too much with his new master, only eating together and making idle chit chat. Maybe a riding session would help their relationship along… He tried to remain at ease, despite the unfamiliar pretty girl that stood close by.

“Hey there Anyalvis… Do you know Laithe?” He gently patted Aran's strider, making himself more comfortable before he spoke to the Drykas. “How are you today? It really is getting cold. So... Well, I’ve been taking my horse out every single day, walking her around. She's starting to know the city! Uhm… Thing is, I haven’t been able to ride her yet. I don’t know how. I barely know how to sort her straps and things out… Do you think you could show me today? I’m not much help to a Drykas master if I can’t ride… I know she isn't one of your kind of horses.” Kaiphur flushed red as he suddenly became aware of how hesitant he was when he spoke. How could he be so fluid when speaking to an animal, but painfully awkward when talking with his own species?

Last edited by Kaiphur on December 2nd, 2013, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaiphur
Trapped in the flesh

Words: 31629
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2013, 7:44 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Riding Like the Drykas

Postby Taylani on December 2nd, 2013, 2:14 pm

Taylani watches as Aran puts his fingers beneath the Yvas and the horse, and listened at his explanation on how to tell when it was too tight. When he finished speaking she moved around to the other side of Freedom, while at the same time she tossed her red hair over her shoulder in a movement that was so habitual she wasn't even aware that she did so. Her own hand worked it's way between the Yvas, blanket and horse so that she could feel for herself what the other had spoken of.

"I see." She confirmed, to let the other know that she had listened and understood his instruction. Her fingers go to the blond mane of her roan, stroking the coarse hair gently, hardly believing that when she had first been forced into Endrykas she was fearful of these animals. Such a short time yet so many changes.

The moment the other joined them, and spoke Taylani's expression flattens and became cold. Not toward the new comer, but toward Aran though she should have just assumed that he probably had bought someone. Seemed that was the popular thing to do here in Endrykas, without a word she turned toward Freedom once more. Her hands reach up to grasp the handles of the Yvas firmly, trying to angle her elbow over the back of the horse for more leverage before she gave a little hop, and used sheer strength rather then experience or know how to drag herself up on top of the horse. Freedom endured it with just a little wave of her head, stepping only once to accept Taylani's weight.

Doing so, Taylani had hoped would smooth her razor tongue. Her tongue had gotten her thrown out of Syliras by the knights, and her mother had tried to soften that tongue to no avail before that. It took being tossed out, clubbed on the head by Drykas and sold to Fallan to finally teach the stubborn former Dancer how to keep her tongue in check. Turning her head toward the other, she looked at Kaiphur studiously taking in the other from head to toe. "My name is Taylani. I didn't see you at the Auction, was you brought in with the raids?" To Aran she gave a cold glance, her lips thinning but again, she bit her tongue.

Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Riding Like the Drykas

Postby Aran Windblown on December 2nd, 2013, 2:39 pm

Aran watched Taylani move around to the other side of Freedom, studying her movements to make sure she was doing everything correctly. He jumped when Kaiphur spoke; he hadn't heard his slave approach. He felt himself flushing slightly at the cold look Taylani shot him; although honestly, he wasn't surprised by it. He knew her story, as did almost everyone else in Endrykas; it was no shock that she would look down-- literally, as the woman had hopped up on the mare while he was distracted by Kaiphur-- on someone who owned a slave. Still, Aran ignored her icy glare in favor of responding to Kaiphur.

"Of course," he said, nodding. "I helped you bring her back to our tents, remember?" He moved forward, careful not to crowd Kaiphur-- he was not so ignorant of humans' behaviors that he hadn't noticed how skittish she was around others, and he could only guess it had something to do with her claim that she felt she was truly a man born into the wrong body-- and stroked the mare's neck. "It is not as cold as sometimes the Winter can get-- the wind is what makes it truly feel cold. I'll see about finding a heavier coat for you before the weather gets too cold." Thinking over the rest of Kaiphur's request, he nodded. "It would make things much easier for both of us if you could ride," he acknowledged. He offered Kaiphur a small smile. "Of course I'll help you."

Aran winced as Taylani shot him yet another cold glare after she spoke to Kaiphur, but he didn't say anything; he couldn't blame her for her suddenly low opinion of him. He would think the same, if he were in her position. Which raised quite a bit of conflict; he had bought a woman essentially for breeding. He couldn't even claim that it was the same thing the Akalaks in Riverfall did; they, at least, paid their women handsomely to bear their children.
"Pavi"
"Common"
"Tukant"

Aran Windblown
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Riding Like the Drykas

Postby Kaiphur on December 2nd, 2013, 10:19 pm

Kaiphur could feel the tension in the air already. He should have known better than to approach. He still found it hard to talk to strangers, especially when he wasn’t sure how they would react. Would she know? He had checked his hair this morning – messy and curly. The bags under his eyes only served to defeminise his face, and his clothes were baggy and unrevealing. Perhaps the red scar around his newly-freed wrists added to the “tough guy” look? Based on Taylani’s quick introduction, he could only assume that she had been enslaved too. He suddenly looked to Aran for guidance on what to say, swallowing. Quick thoughts darted into his head of him stumbling around with words and making a complete fool out of himself…

“Ah… No, I wasn’t at the auction.” His voice shook when he spoke. He made sure it was deep, convincingly so. “I… My name’s Kaiphur. I was brought here with a smaller group of slaves just before Winter. I left my father and his other boys and I was caught on my... travels. I belong to Aran.” He didn't want to come across as rude to this girl, but he was terrified of how she might perceive him. He attempted a smile before glancing at his master. It hadn’t been too bad with Aran. In your mind, slavery is thought of in terms of its barbarism. So far, it hadn’t been too bad. There was an element of humility in being someone else’s property – yet, maybe it was preferable to wandering aimlessly between cities and slowly starving to death.

It was definitely slightly easier speaking to Aran.

“Thank you… She needs a good rider. She might not be a strider, but she is quite spirited. You might need to help me on her.” Laithe let out a high pitched noised as if she was agreeing with him. Gildlings were strange. “And yeah, I need something a bit thicker but I might be able to get it myself. You know the markets though.” Aran did want his slave to be looked after. Whether that was for Kaiphur’s wellbeing or Aran’s own wishes to convince his slave to bear a child, he wasn’t sure yet.

Kaiphur
Trapped in the flesh

Words: 31629
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2013, 7:44 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next