Tal's Question-y Type Thread of +10 Newb!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Athrias Stormborn on August 18th, 2010, 7:27 pm

All right, I am quite interested in Stormwardens. I was looking at the Order of Radiance but when I read the article on the former I got shivers (seriously!) and now I am a tad fixated.

I'll give the quick, rough version of what I was fiddling with in my brain. Human in Syliras, son of a former Syliran Knight but marked with a level 1 Gnosis from Zulrav from birth (as is the norm I've gathered). I was thinking the dynamic between the father and son would be very strained due to the marking and a schism between the character's connection to Zulrav and his devotion to his father. I plan to make it a significant issue in his life but not an all consuming sulk fest. I'm thinking it'll lead to him setting out on his own to cultivate his relationship with Zulrav and attempting to win the respect of his father in the long term. Also there was a loose idea kicking around of making the mother a Drykas to introduce the opposing viewpoints of Zulrav's mark being a blessing and a curse. There would be more layers of subtlety and detail to the entire idea but I'm being rather black and white for the interest of brainstorming :D However I have no idea how common a Drykas-Sylirian marriage or relationship would be as I have noticed Drykas seem very close knit. (I guess that wasn't so quick, sorry! :embarrassed:)

I understand there is generally a suspicion and mistrust of magic thus the need to be a bit secretive about ones abilities but I could not tell if Gnosis bearers had any persecution that came their way. Also I see that a request needs to be submitted to the Help Desk so I was wondering should that be accompanied with a completed character sheet?

I guess I'm humbly asking for a little feedback. The whole concept is very fluid and changeable depending on the info I get and I greatly appreciate any advice anyone can shoot my way!
Athrias Stormborn
Player

Words: 13404
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Gossamer on August 18th, 2010, 8:30 pm

I like the idea. When you submit to the Help Desk for Gnosis Marks that are often given at birth, we don't require a huge story for the array of God/desses that often grant 'at birth' marks. We do for other deities because we want a pc to write an encounter for us... and give us some idea of their relationship with said god. Its hard for a fetus to have a relationship, one would assume, and an encounter thats plausible. :)

Magic is treated suspiciously but in some places it is not feared. Some gnosis marks are hidden, some are not... healers for example wear theirs proudly. If your mark is say from Rhysol, God of Chaos, I doubt you'd be too proud to show it... or indeed from Ivak who ruined the world a few centuries ago.

Its really on a case by case basis. Stormwardens are welcomed in some places... they can tame storms and control weather. Plus they tend to go about even at one mark talking to breezes and being a little 'different' than other pcs. At higher levels they are outright feared because they can release their stormgems all at once and unleash storms of incredible power. Their stormgems are also very valuable and used to fuel magecraft and gadgetry items routinely.

So I think it depends on your character and how he is perceived.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on August 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm

PS That sounds awesome. If he comes to Endrykas looking for his mother, he should meet Sam!
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Athrias Stormborn on August 20th, 2010, 10:03 pm

Thank you Goss, you've given me some things to consider and my PC is coming together nicely! I am plowing through a 100 question exercise I found at the moment. Oh! Does being half Drykas affect his racial bonus at all? Do I choose between the +15 to any skill for human or +10 riding for Drykas?

Thanks Sama'el, I think I am going to make that journey but it will likely not be until I finish my sheet of course. I see Sam's already headed in that direction...do you think you'll be sticking around Endrykas for a bit?
Athrias Stormborn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Stitch on August 20th, 2010, 10:31 pm

If you are half Drykas, and half Human, I would assume you would be a Mixed Blood. Going by that page, you would get a +10 to any skill of your choice, still not going above the 30 point starting limit. <33333
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Athrias Stormborn on August 20th, 2010, 10:49 pm

I wondered about that, but here's what confuses me! Because they are essentially both human and the riding bonus seems an incidental one due to riding being so engrained in their culture do I still categorize the character as a mixed blood or would the bonus xp be dictated by his upbringing in Syliras? (Which I realize I am only now specifying, jeez I'm a scatterbrained mess today)
Athrias Stormborn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on August 21st, 2010, 5:12 am

Hey Isaiah,

Yeah, Sam will most likely be in Endrykas for a long while if he survives the journey there. :) He has to learn Webbing and become an Ankal so he can rebuild his dead pavilion!

Looks like your other questions have been answered. But yes, Drykas are human, just a specific culture within the species. Whether you make him mixed or pure Drykas, I'd say give him the +10 in riding regardless because, you know, they're horse people. Hope to see you in Endrykas!

-daniel-
sama'el, hadrian, ifran, tabarnac
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)