[Flashback] What Would You Do For Knowledge? [Hadrian]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Hatter on August 31st, 2010, 11:59 am

"Oh? Is that how this works?" Shadowrunner said with a snort, discarding Hadrian's attitude. "I never set any rules and I never said anything about an exam; now here you are, all uppity after a few insults." He gave the boy a half grin from beneath that brimmed hat, amused at the exchange. His emotions were something else. He flipped from one state to another in the course of a moment and made for an impossible conversationalist. Whether or not he was serious remained a matter of speculation. In the mean time, Zelina had calmed enough to regain some of her poise and posture, though she shot the occasional look at the door Zan disappeared behind, worried at the state of their absent companion. Who knew what this 'professor was capable of doing.

"Why give us the instructions if you didn't want us to follow them?" The girl said, her brow furrowed in a mix of concern and confusion. She pawed idly at the material of her dress, nervous in regard to the answer.

"Who said that? You both assume. And you," He pointed at Hadrian. "Are an arrogant git." That last bit was for his own amusement." But. I need a student to complete my contract here, and only one. I can teach you things you can't learn at the university, useful things. So here's the deal. You two figure out, between yourselves, how you're going to decide and I'll watch. Okay? Okay." Shadowrunner folded his arms over his chest and stared at both Zelina and Hadrian, content to wait for their responses.

Zelina turned toward her companion and gave the boy a quizzical gaze, unsure of just how to proceed.
Hatter
Something Auspicious

Words: 61629
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2010, 8:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Hadrian on August 31st, 2010, 5:19 pm

Hadrian had rather dramatic eyebrows. His siblings had more interesting, generally pejorative, adjectives for them. But one rose sardonically at the nutty professor. He had, after all, been the one to talk about rules and them following them. Well, magic did have a tendency to drive men mad. That didn't mean one couldn't learn from them. Hadrian had in the past and would again in the future, he imagined.

Watching the exchange between Zephyrus and Zelina, he tried to get a fix on the man's mercurial disposition, but he would need more time to make a real assessment. The insult bothered him not at all. Better an arrogant git than a social pariah. He separated himself and so it was on his own terms. But when Zephyrus named his terms, Hadrian looked to Zelina.

"Zelina, if you let me win, I promise I will teach you what I learn." She might argue the same thing, of course, so he forestalled what might be her knee-jerk reaction. "And I know you might do the same, but I was ahead in the race and I eliminated Zan."

He just hoped it didn't end up in a fight because he would feel a tinge of guilt fighting with a girl.
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Hatter on September 2nd, 2010, 9:22 am

Zelina was not amused. She glanced between Zephyrus and Hadrian with a desperate countenance, unsure of how to proceed. It was evident she did not trust her fellow student. He had tricked Zan after all, and so far he showed only interest in himself, with the other two being tools of his progression. Her flickering gaze came to a stop and her lips curled into a snarl, anger now prevalent upon her countenance.

"Oh right. Like I can trust you." She said, glaring now at Hadrian. "You only care about yourself, I'm not just going to let you take this." Zelina stepped back, her eyes narrowed now. She was intent on her position and showed no signs of back off or stepping down. And while she did not appear hostile in her stance, an arm disappeared behind her back, her fingers toying with the material of her dress; was it a nervous habit? Perhaps.

All the while Shadowrunner watched. He kept a close eye on both of the prospective students, stoic, watchful. He was comfortable, lacking any sort of concern for himself or even the two before him. The ball was in Hadrian's court now, and it seemed he would have to do something drastic to score any points.
Hatter
Something Auspicious

Office

Postby Hadrian on September 2nd, 2010, 7:30 pm

"Well," he said, addressing Zelina though trying to keep Zephyrus within his frame of reference, "what are our options, compromise or fight?" He edged away from her, unsure what she might have up her sleeve or behind her back. For all he knew, she might have attack in mind, and he would have to be ready for that. At least the reimancy in which Zan had initiated him years ago might come in handy, though one always had to be creative with only limited control over water. Fire truly would have been more utile, but he supposed water required more thought and would make him better in the long run.

"I have no reason to lie to you. If I get what I want, why shouldn't you get what you want?"

It seemed like she was taking this too seriously, but perhaps so was he. When the 'game' was over, he might see it as a game again, but at the moment, he was in competition and so he would compete to the best of his abilities, even if the prize seemed like kind of an asshole.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Hatter on September 8th, 2010, 9:36 am

Zelina did not trust Hadrian. No surprise there. At least she appeared to consider his offer. On the surface. Her shoulders were still tense, her hands hidden. There was something nefarious afoot. In a sudden burst of motion the young woman withdrew the item that was hidden behind her back; a small vial, one alight with a dull, red glow, that she raised into the air and threw at the floor. Just below Hadrian's feet. But nothing happened. The vial hovered in mid-air, just above the ground, suspended as if time itself had ceased. Or an invisible hand had stopped it.

Annoyed, Shadowrunner stepped forward and produced his sword. No ring accompanied the draw. The long, steel blade was covered from top to bottom in glyphs, an impressive display of magical forging - this was a weapon to be feared. When he spoke the man's voice was calm, but irritated. "I don't know how you got a hold of that, girl, but you have ten seconds to leave before I make you drink it. Out." He stared at the woman from beneath the brim of his head, his eyes narrowed. His aura spoke of violent intentions. "[b]Now.[/b'"

Zelina jumped. She glanced at Hadrian, her brow furrowed, then quickly made her way out the door behind them, heels clacking against ground underfoot. Shadowrunner sighed. He sheathed his blade and the vial lifted in an outstretched, gloved hand where he inspected the surface with a bemused gaze.

"This would have killed you." He said, flipping the item over to eye it's bottom. "The chemicals inside react violently to air and explode, sending the shards and fire about like a Reimancer. I very much doubt you know Shielding, do you?" Zephyrus flicked his stare to Hadrian. "Well. Congratulations, Hadrian, you're my new student. I hope you're not an idiot."
Hatter
Something Auspicious

Office

Postby Hadrian on September 8th, 2010, 7:36 pm

At her sudden gesture, Hadrian backed away, his auristic vision popping up reflexively to ascertain just what she was throwing at him. He nearly went down on the bad ankle, but Shadowrunner was quicker than both of them. The weapon was stopped and Zelina was summarily dismissed, and he was the lucky winner. Well, he knew someone who wasn't going to get a lick of sympathy from him, or instruction in what he learned.

He saw the explosive potential in the liquid's aura even as Zephyrus explained it to him. He saw how the djed froze up the air around it, then lifted it up into his hand. It was all quite impressive, but was that energy a function of highly focused reimancy or projection? Perhaps Webbing wasn't the only thing he could learn from this one.

"Shielding hasn't been part of the curriculum yet that I've seen, but if you want to teach me, I want to learn." The rush of adrenaline was making him all jittery. He was still tired and he had to banish his Sight before it wore out what strength he had left. He was injured and, truth be told, he was still confused and guarded with the new professor.

Zephyrus seemed like the type who actively promoted a sort of mystique about his person, and so it would take time for Hadrian to figure out what he wanted, how his mind worked, in order to give him what he wanted and get what he wanted.

"I'm probably an idiot, but I hope not to be. Someday."

It was a weary sort of humor, but there was a hint of real humility there. He didn't want to be humiliated, but he wouldn't have been at the University if he didn't want to learn from people who knew more than him.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Hatter on September 9th, 2010, 9:18 am

Shadowrunner was not an easy man to predict. His tone changed on a whim and his manner along with it; even his body language flipped from one set of tells to another. The man was a master at concealing his identity. And so far his face had never been fully exposed. No doubt he lived in infamy. He was like a rock star at the university though, braving ancient ruins and performing wild, daring tasks of peril for the professors and university staff. There were few better men to have as a teacher. Personalty quirks aside. When Hadrian finished speaking Zephyrus grinned at the boy and waved him toward the door at the northern exit. He lifted on hand into the air, his palm outstretched and fingers wide. A few moments passed and a dull hum emanated from the man. There was a soft crackle and his fist closed in a sudden motion. A pure, black void snapped into existence not but a foot away from Zephyrus' body, the portal large enough to fit a grown man.

"You first, Hadrian."

By the time both of the men slipped into the portal the door to the east tunnel flew open. Zan burst into the room with a fiery trail, his eyes alight with a ferocious victory. The door was conquered. With a satisfied harrumph, the young pumped a fist and glanced around at the now empty space. He blinked. Where was everyone? He shrugged and made his way to the western door now, determined to find whatever it was they were looking for. Or just him now. Were the others dead? No!

"Don't worry Hadrian! Zelina! I'm coming!" Zan narrowed his brow as he crashed through the door, ready to save the day.

OOCGoing to call this thread here. We can start an actual training session with Zephyrus next if you want. Go ahead and write up an intro doing anything you want, studying, sleeping, etc, and I'll toss my lot in.
Hatter
Something Auspicious

Office

Postby Hatter on September 9th, 2010, 9:33 am

Awards for You!

Character: Hadrian
Awarded XP: Auristics +3, Climbing +3, Falling +1, Seduction (Fondling) +1, Persuasion +1, Intelligence +2, Observation +3, Mathematics +1, Investigation +2, Glyping +1, Running +1, Negotiation +2, Subterfuge +1
Awarded Lores:
  • Social Masks (People are not what they seem)
  • Glyphing Triggers (Ways to set off triggered glyphs)
  • Dungeon Dangers and Tricks (Minor)
  • What Not To Do When Scaling a Sheer Cliff
  • Some Potions Explode
Other Rewards: +Mentor (Zephyrus Shadowrunner), +Twisted Ankle (heals in a few days with assistance)

Observations of a Mad Man: There's not a whole lot to say since I was in this thread with you! I have to admit that you did not quite do what I thought you would in some of the situations and you missed out on a few tasty tidbits, but overall you did well and managed to achieve Shadowrunner's approval. Whatever that is! As I always say, if you think I missed something or are unsatisfied with these results let me know in Pm and we can hash it out.
Hatter
Something Auspicious

Office

Previous