Solo [Job Thread] The Fruits Of Labour

Garret is responsible for guarding a cart of food.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Job Thread] The Fruits Of Labour

Postby Garret Sawyer on December 19th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Timestamp - Sun-Rise, 41st of Winter, AV 513

As soon as the sun broken the horizon, casting sprays of magnificent colours all across the skies, turning whitest clouds into spheres of deep oranges and reds that dotted throughout the sky, the courtyard was subjected to the rustle and scraps of rough feet on the cobbled stone. In the centre of the courtyard a weather wooden cart stood, filled to the rim with various crate while its driver tended to his horses, brushing them down and removing their harnesses.

The air was crisp and fresh this morning, cold enough to send torrents of fog from the mouth and nose of everyone breathing it in. Garret himself was wrapped in a heavy coat, continuously moving back and forth to keep himself warm. He had been up for the last two hours waiting for a food cart to arrive, he had been charged by a no doubt wealthy merchant who was unwilling to fork out the Mizas for a more professional guard to watch over the workers.

"I doubt these people are workers, probably just slaves for hire, chances are I have got more gold in my purse than they have ever earned" he thought to himself, they were a pathetic bunch of men and woman truth be told. Clad in thin, dirty rages, they had not the energy on their skeletal bodies' to even shiver, their faces were gaunt and pale, their eyes empty and lifeless as they carried the crates off the cart, their bare, frozen feet dragging through the snow "I bet they don't even realize that those crates the lumber around are filled to the brim with food, ready to make a killing at the market while they starve at home" he chuckled to himself as he smacked his exposed hands together, trying to encourage warm blood to flow through them as he watched them work.

It was no surprise that the workers were so scraggy, food prices had rocketed over the past couple of days meaning that even the average man in the street could scarcely afford to feed his family let alone these drudges. He was unsure if it was the heavy snow that meant this was one of the first few carts he had seen make their way into this city or down to the fact that he had overhead rumours of merchants complain about rotting food, only whispers and he doubted them to be trues because it didn't make sense to Garret "In these temperatures food should be preserved not rotting". None of this sat well with Garret, but it wasn't his place to question things, he was only tasked with doing his job and that is what he does.

He rubbed his hands together once more; the blistering cold snow made his hands numb as it gently cascaded down from the heavens. Part of him wished he had dressed in armour perhaps, but doubt any leather armour he may have purchased would have helped him stay warm and he hardly needed protection against this miserable lot, though as always his morningstar hung by his waist as he shield was strapped to his forearm.

But the cold wasn't by far the worst thing about this job, it was the man stood next to him. He was a youthful lad, no more than nineteen. With short raven black hair, dark thick eyebrow, deep brown eyes and a hairless jaw there was no doubt that women would regard him as a handsome young lad but that was not the problem Garret had with the lad. Of course not, he knew love was fleeting and that a good fuck could be bought from any desperate lass. The problem was that the lad would not stop talking!

"I'm so lucky to have my Sophia you know, I tell you how we met since it is such a romantic tale, like the ones from the stories"
"By the gods'"
Garret muttered under his breath "Here we go again"

Dead before bowed.
Fallon, I didn't thread because I was scared you would kill Garret, I know the rules perfectly. It was simply because I didn't like you, when I logged on and saw a bunch of veterans complaining that they couldImage not find threads and newbies should approach them because they are so much better us new people, I just thought one thing. What a bunch of cunts.

The Broken Shackles
Garret Sawyer
You got gold? Good, who do you want dead?

Words: 114969
Joined roleplay: November 24th, 2013, 10:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Garret Sawyer on December 19th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Garret stared closely at the workers as they shuffled back and forth from the cart and the warehouse, struggling not to collapse from exhaustion as their weak bones froze and their skeltal bodies shivered. He had been doing it for the past hour or so by now but it was a far better than attempting to pay attention to his fellow guard who continued to ramble on about one thing or another.

"... At that's when we decided to flee to Sunberth, the city of the free" The boy finished, bringing an unexpected but welcomed silence to Garret's ears.
"So you met her while you were shovelling shit out the stables" Garret summarized glumly "That's your very own romantic tale?" Before muttering under his breath "Thirty chimes of my life I'll never get back"
"Yes it is, the tale of Sophia and James Carter"
The boy, now known to Garret as James, replied cheerfully, with a wide grin on his face as he seemingly missed the sarcasm in Garret's voice "And we have never been so happy! This city if rife with opportunities, my dad always said that Sunberth, that's a place where any man can become someone if he works hard enough son! And it's true, fourteen days we have dwelt in this city and I have already managed to get a couple of jobs and Sophia is going to find a little job with textiles, she always wanted to be tailor..."
"You will be dead by the end of the season and your precious Sophia will end up selling her body just to pay for the debts you are going to burden her with, that's if she isn't raped and killed in some godforsaken alleyway" Garret thought "How many morons like him end up being killed in this city? The city of the free, what shit has his father been filling this boy's head with? He probably wanted his son to run away and be killed, it'll save him the trouble of doing it himself. Even now he continues to talk! I doubt that sword of his has seen any blood, a bit of death would shut this boy up!"

His honest thoughts were suddenly dashed as his attention was drawn to the flock of workers. A particular frail old man, with a long, dirty white beard and with a speckled head like an egg lost his balanced and fell down onto the floor. Fortunately he was quick enough to use his arms to absorb most of the force but he was struggling to pull himself to his feet as other workers stopped working to see if the man was okay.

"Back to work" Garret barked at them "Whoever is not back to work right away will regret it" Garret stormed up to the exasperated old man, pushing anyone who still hovered around him "Get back to work, all of you!" he shouted one more time to workers as he grabbed the man by his arm tightly and yanked his him back onto his scrawny feet.
"P-P-Please..." The man pleaded croakily "I-I am too weak... F-F-Food..."
Garret raised his hand, gesturing for silence "I am not charged with feeding you, my job is to make sure that those crates are safely taken from the cart into that warehouse and this you'll do, because I imagine that if you don't you won't get fed at all. Do you understand?" He stated.
The old man nodded nervously, not waiting for a reply as he shuffled off towards the cart, as Garret followed him, nodding when he pulled of one of the final crates. He leant against the side of the cart as he silently surveyed the workers once more to spot any more signs of slacking in the group.

Dead before bowed.
Fallon, I didn't thread because I was scared you would kill Garret, I know the rules perfectly. It was simply because I didn't like you, when I logged on and saw a bunch of veterans complaining that they couldImage not find threads and newbies should approach them because they are so much better us new people, I just thought one thing. What a bunch of cunts.

The Broken Shackles
Garret Sawyer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Garret Sawyer on December 19th, 2013, 9:57 pm

A voice suddenly popped up out of nowhere "That seemed a little harsh, I mean you could have at least given the old man some rest, they are nearly done here, he practically took the last crate" It came from James who was no doubt uncomfortable without the sound of his own voice ringing through the courtyard, so he decided to join Garret once more "By the gods' I hope he doesn't think there is some kind of camaraderie between us" Garret thought.
"That is not our job, we are told to keep the cargo safe and the workers working, and that is what we are goin' to do. If you are too squeamish then you came to the wrong shithole to live in" Garret replied curtly, hoping he would take the hint and leave him alone.
"Still... Don't you think you were a little an unjust?" He asked tentatively, but Garret simply responded with a glare full of contempt "Whatever you think is best, I bow to your wisdom. Us Sunberthians have to look out for each out after all, it's us against the rest of Mizahar" he said chuckling as Garret rolled his eyes towards the heavens.
"Say, did you hear about that dead guy they found?"
"Which one?"
Garret replied scornfully, though this was Sunberth so it wasn't a strange question.
"The one they found nailed to the gallows, the one with his eyes in his mouth. What sort of animal would do that to a common man, I would like to show him the end of my sword"
"You idiot, that was a Daggerhand, and that animal just declared war" Garret thought, everyone had heard about it and Garret didn't like it one bit; it was hard to enjoy gold if everywhere you stepped you had a very likely chance of being stabbed to death.

A sudden smash drew the attention of the entire courtyard, the old man had slipped once more but this time it wasn't him who hit the ground but the large crate Garret had burdened him with and from its wreckage big, fat, dark red apples rolled out, only the thick snow stopped them travelling to far.

For twenty years he had plied the trade of the mercenary and in the all those years, like most that had lasted as long as he had, Garret had developed a very keen sense of danger. So as soon as he saw those ripe apples he pulled out his weapon and raised his shield, hoping James had enough sense in that thick skull of his to draw his virgin shortsword.

"Food!" The word was screamed out by nearly all the workers who had noticed the smash, which soon alerted the others, triggering a mass frenzy as weak legs soon gained the strength to run, the dark red colour honing them in as the pushed and hustled each other, most of the worker tripped over each other as the fastest managed to reach the open crate first. Garret likewise charged forwards, smashing his wooden shield heavily against the horde that swarmed the crate like the animals they were.

"Get back!" He shouted, smacking the base of his shield against a young, balding woman who clawed at the ground hoping to find one. She stumbled backwards as warm blood seeped down from her nose, smothering her chin in its' crimson glory but Garret had more than one woman to deal with. He smashed the hilt of his morningstar into the bad of the old man's speckled head as he bit down on a juicy apple, causing him to collapse face down in the snow as the apple fell from his frail hands.

"Get back, or I start smashing skulls!" He screamed out. He continued to push the crowd back, using his shield to persuade them to move back before smashing them with the hilt of his morningstar until there they all stood, lined up like a human wall, each of them staring greedily at the apples strewn about on the floor while stealing fearful glances as Garret as he paraded up and down in front of them. Garret glared at them, staring in their eyes, daring them to make a move just so he could smash their skulls in "Anyone who takes a step forward will be killed" he declared as the crowd remained deathly silent, disturbed only by the sobbing of a young woman.

Last edited by Garret Sawyer on December 21st, 2013, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dead before bowed.

The Broken Shackles
Garret Sawyer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Garret Sawyer on December 21st, 2013, 12:31 pm

Crunch.

Simultaneously a dozen pairs of nervous eyes moved in unison, searching for the source of the noise. Garret spun around on his heels, his eyes greedily scanning the courtyard as his grip tighten around his weapon, eager to deal out some pain.

At first he thought it might have been his fellow guardsman James, but unfortunately for Garret he stood idly by the side of the cart with his weapon sheathed and his hands empty as he fidgeted nervously, unsure of how to deal with both Garret and the workers. Then he assumed it must have been the driver, he was now finished with his horses so had decided to linger around when all the commotion started, sticking a dirt, dishevelled head over his cart to get a look but he clearly didn't make then noise.

Crunch.

The noise once again echoed throughout the courtyard. Garret looked down, just a few yards in front of him and found the culprit. Once again the old man was the source of all this trouble, he still lay out of the frozen floor where Garret had incorrectly presumed he had left him unconscious but whether he had regain his conscious or just pretended to be as Garret had corralled the workers back didn't matter. What mattered now was the fact that in his hand he clutched a dark red apple that he was devouring greedily.

Garret strode up to him, he looked up at James and said "You! Draw that bloody sword of yours and watch this scum"
"B-But"
he stammered nervously
"Just do it! By the gods' do you even have a pair of balls?"
Before James could reply to that Garret had reached the old man who seemed completely oblivious to the events unfolding around him, only focusing his attention of the sweet taste of fruit. His attention though must have rapidly shifted when Garret decided to stick a boot in the side of his torso, causing the old man to roll over, his face terrified and quivering as long trails of sticky apple juice ran down his face.

The last thing that man must have seen was Garret cold, expressionless eyes staring into his own before a flash of steel travelled across his line of sight then everything went black. To everyone else though, thing were far from black. With a sickening crunch the morningstar as embedded itself into the torso, the sound of shattering ribs bounced off the walls of the courtyard as a cry of dismay and fear rippled along the wall of workers as they saw the ditsy rags the old man was clad in, slowly turn a damp scarlet. Garret pressed one foot on the old man's stomach as he yanked the bloodied spikes out of his chest, sending another spurt of blood pouring of the wound as it dripped onto the pure, white snow beneath him.

"Father!" A young woman cried as she ran from the wall, James doing nothing to stop her. "You bastards!" she shouted at them "Why di-" her speech cut out suddenly as Garret acted, smacking the dented dome of his shield against her head as she ran over to her father's body, sending her sprawling to the ground as a trail of blood ran down from her forehead.
"James, drag their bodies over to the wall there" He ordered
"Why did you have to kill her as well?!" He demanded, his voice noticeably higher than usual
"Relax..." he replied, he prodded the girl with the cap of his boot "She's just knocked out, just do it already"

As James begun to drag the bodies over to the wall, being very gentle with the pretty young girl and grimacing as he touched the bloodied old corpse Garret turned around to face the cart "You..." he said quietly, pointing at the driver "Get over here". Rather obediently the man stepped out from behind the cart, he was about the same age as Garret, with a weak jaw, beady, watery eyes and long straw blond hair that was swept back
"What do you want with me?" he asked nervously, revealing large yellow teeth and bloody gums
"I want you to pick up all these apples will I watch these thieves, stick 'em the crate and then ram it in the warehouse. The merchant said he would be arriving soon enough so I want all this crap cleared up."

Dead before bowed.

The Broken Shackles
Garret Sawyer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Garret Sawyer on December 21st, 2013, 2:16 pm

Timestamp - Early morning, 41st of Winter, AV 513

The sun had fully risen by now, the streets started to echo with the sound of men and woman heading to work, and the snow that coated Sunberth glistened as it felt the sun's warmth. All apart from one courtyard, it was shadowed by the high surrounding walls, while it had many men and women within its confines it stood silent and what little light that managed to find its way in revealed the floor to be crimson red not the dirty white that covered most of the city.

"Had some trouble here did we?" A deep, silky voice asked. It belonged to a rather short man, with a dark complexion, large full lips, and round face. It didn't escape Garret's notice that the finest silks clothed his body, that his earrings were large golden discs, with etchings by the finest craftsman and the scent of sickeningly sweet, expensive perfume clung to every part of his person. Either side of him he was flanked by tall, grim faced guards armoured in the finest steel you could find Sylira that gave them a far more professional appearance than Garret had ever looked.
"A little, that old man over there..." He replied, gesturing the still body slumped up against the wall "Dropped an entire crate of apples, which sent this sorry lot..." he gestured to the group of workers, all of which had bruises and scratches at the very least "Into a feeding frenzy, but fortunately they didn't really have the strength to put up a fight"

The merchant merely nodded as Garret detailed the situation, how the workers had to be pushed back, how the old man continued not to listen, and he was tempted to explain how his fellow guard reacted but chose to leave that part out "The city will have him soon enough, I don't need to help it out" he thought to himself.
"Well, you've done your job well enough" the merchant finally replied, he nodded to the guard on his right who promptly chucked both Garret and James a small, rough, woollen pouch full of money "There's your pay, my men will take over from here, good day to you gents" he said waving them both off.

As Garret set off out of the courtyard the merchant called out to him "Wait second there" he bent over, and picked up something red "I get the impression you did most of the work so here" he chucked the object over to Garret, who managed to catch it "Enjoy the fruits of your labour" he added, chuckling at his joke as he turned back to his warehouse full of goods.

Garret looked down at the red apples, it had two great big chunks torn out of but that didn't bother Garret as he bit down on it. He grimaced at the taste, it was bitter, sour and too soft for his liking but food was food so he continued to munch on it as he strode down the dirty, frozen path.

Once again he heard the voice of James "Well that was an experience" he jogged along with Garret, matching his long strides. Out of nowhere a street urchin ran by, a dirty hand struck out, snatching his half-eaten apple out of his limp hand "Thanks mister!" he said cheekily, leaving only a trail of dust in his wake as he stormed down the road as Garret cursed under his breath.
"Unlucky mate, let me make it up to you, fancy a drink?" James asked hopefully.
"Piss off" Garret simply replied as he stormed off down the road.

Dead before bowed.

The Broken Shackles
Garret Sawyer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Vanari on February 1st, 2014, 2:15 am

Garret
Observation +3 XP
Intimidation +2 XP
Leadership +3 XP
Rhetoric +3 XP
Weapon: Morning Star +1 XP

Lores :
  • Rotting Food, Rotting Workers
  • The Story of Sophia and James Carter
  • Realities of a Harsh Taskmaster
  • Maintaining Order Over Apples
  • Fruits of One's Labor...Stolen in a Tick
  • Piss Off James

Loot :
+1 apple

just kidding.

Notes :
How I do so very much enjoy your threads :)

Please don't hesitate to PM me with questions, comments, or concerns! Also, remember to either delete your grade request or edit it as "graded."

Cheers :D

A lonely heart is better than a bored one.

"Your Speech"
"My Speech"
"Vani"
Vanari
Vantha Vagrant

Words: 372424
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2013, 12:20 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)