Flashback Solitude sails in, out with Jayce.

Jayce engages in a transaction to buy necessities for his journey.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Solitude sails in, out with Jayce.

Postby Jayce Asher on December 23rd, 2013, 2:13 pm

20th Winter, Zeltiva Port.

It wasn't overly cold, that day. There was little wind, and the water lay flat and undisturbed, allowing an impeccable reflection of the moderately cloudy sky. Through a gap in the clouds, the Winter sun shone through brilliantly, giving new depth and dynamics to Jayce's armour. The young man locked the front door and set off down the long and winding path through his garden. The garden of his house was half shadowed by the rising sun, but the various trimmed hedges made for interesting displays of darkness on the leaf-littered grassy bed. As he came to the stone walls and 'modernised' portculis at the base of his garden, he slowed down, stopping occasionally to inhale the rejuvenating, cool air.

Suddenly there came a feeling of weightlessness, and Jayce found himself jogging down the hillside into the centre of Zeltiva City. He passed a couple of women along the way, sat down overlooking the docks, and he found it in his best interest to offer them a wave and a smile. One of them returned the gesture, the other blushed and turned her head away. Jayce knew the women around here all too well, and they knew him, which made for interactions fraught with volatility.

Soon, the land leveled off, and Jayce found himself part of the warming urban turbulence that was his home town. In stationary caution he scoured the alleys, he recognised a few friendly faces, fewer unfriendly ones, and the rest, he couldn't care less about. Before long, he decided to make a move down the central path, and wandered down the city streets in the direction of the port. Through the ruckus, 'Sir' Asher made out the distance ring of ships' bells, and quickly began to shuffle through crowds towards the harbour.

As the crowds became less dense, he could see the towering masts of the various trade ships that came into the bay. It was incredibly busy, as is expected of this date particularly, but that was exactly what Jayce wanted. Today was to be the day he'd make the final preparations for his journey to Syliras, and he needed the assistance of one man in particular.
The man he looked for was a labourer at the docks, and helped unload the cargo for distribution. Mr. Dungeolah was his name. Mr. Dungeolah was a dark skinned man, and bald since his adolescence. From his service at the port he'd worked up some muscle in his upper body, and from childhood experiences unknown to Jayce, Mr. Dungeolah had several mysterious looking scars around his eyes and mouth.

Jayce and Mr. Dungeolah had been friends for a while, as it was Mr. Dungeolah that helped refer Jayce to his 'hush-hush' tutoring in swordsmanship. The dockhand wasn't a dishonest man, but he appreciated peoples' passions and would do all in his power to aid allies in following their dreams. Also, Mr. Dungeolah rather despised Jayce's father, and Jayce's rebellion against Melchior provoked quite a reaction in him. Ultimately, the arrangement was for Mr. Dungeolah to sell Jayce the materials he needed to serve him on his way to Syliras.

When 'Sir' Asher arrived at the harbour, he was greeted instantly by his tanned friend.
"Mr. Asher, it's nice to see you again! Listen my man, we have some brilliant cargo for you here, I can't wait to begin the transaction!" He spoke with an extremely deep voice, that seemed flat and monotonous.

"I'd love to, Mr. Dungeolah, I have the money with me--" He was cut off by something smacking him in the mouth. When he came to his senses, he realised that his face was covered by his friend's hand.

"Not here", Mr. Dungeolah started, "We have to go inside". And with that, he led Jayce across a strong plank, and onto a vacant galley. The vessel was barren, nothing remained on the ship's deck, not rope, nor barrels, nor crates.
The pair of them wandered to the back of the ship, where a door led to a long descending staircase. Jayce's companion produced a candle, and after some fiddling, managed to get a flame to start. He looked around to make sure they were alone, and set the candle on a ledge in the cabin entrance.
Last edited by Jayce Asher on December 23rd, 2013, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My character sheet is below this text. C:
http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic44238.html
Jayce Asher
The King of the Smug Fools.

Words: 53353
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2013, 9:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Jayce Asher on December 23rd, 2013, 2:32 pm

It took them a little while to prepare. Mr. Dungeolah had to light up the cabin, and unload the cargo from the pantry, where he kept it out of the way of prying eyes. While he did this, Jayce removed the plank from the ship's starboard side. Nobody could get onto the ship now, and Jayce closed the door to the cabin and wandered down inside.

Beneath the deck, the creaking of the hull could be heard most clearly, and it made the young hero feel somewhat uneasy. Jayce set a hand on his scabbard, as habit required him when he was making a transaction, but his friend assured him that he wouldn't need the protection. From his small satchel, he produced a pouch of gold mizas and set them on the table.

"You have everything from the list I gave you?"

"Yes," he replied, "It's all here, although," he paused, looking at the list in his left hand, "I have to say, some of it seems, well, bizarre!" He dragged a crate from his mass of cargo at the back of the cabin, and pried open the lid quickly with a carbon steel bar. The box was half empty, and the dockhand grabbed some of the items and held them up to show Jayce, as if awaiting approval.

"I know some of it might seem strange, but I'll have to tell you, I'm not leaving Zeltiva by ship". At first Mr. Dungeolah kept his smile firm, but before long it began to crack, as he gradually understood the seriousness of the situation.

"Listen, my man, you have to understand something--"

"I'm not taking any company, either, I'm leaving over the mountains and I'm not coming back," he interupted, rambling on and on about his journey, "Syliran Knights will be glad to have me... I'll be fine on my own out there... it's not even a long way...--" Finally it was Jayce's turn to be interupted, and Mr. Dungeolah stood from his seat, firmly pressing his hands against the table to create a loud 'BANG'.

"Listen to me now, my man!" He began to shout, leaving the aspiring knight confused and agitated in his seat. The dark toned man began to seem more and more menacing in his position, he was much taller than Jayce, about 6" 8', and loomed over him in the dim candle light. "I have no doubts that you'll survive out there, but you have to listen to me," he continued, trying to express how important it was for Jayce to listen, through the tone of his voice, "You have never left Zeltiva before, Jayce, not even by boat. The Syliran Knights might not know it, but it will certainly make a difference to whether or not they accept you. I'm not saying you're incapable of making it out of Zeltiva Region alive, merely that you're inexperienced, and you need at least some help to make the journey safely."

"Listen to me, Jayce," the firmness of his voice faltered, and he managed to reach out to Jayce as being civilized and calm, "Take the Mirahil Pass. Don't listen to what the others say about the Bonesnapper being deadly, you've experienced that passage first hand, and it's far worse on the mountains. Put it this way, m'man, you'll die hiking those mountains."
Last edited by Jayce Asher on December 23rd, 2013, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayce Asher

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Jayce Asher on December 23rd, 2013, 4:55 pm

After a detailed instruction of how to leave Zeltiva, Jayce felt so clueless about all that was out there in the world, but as stubborn as his father had inadvertently raised him to be, he decided he'd still go along with the original plan (with of course alterations to his route). Understanding hit Jayce hard, and he soon realised that Mr. Dungeolah was there for him.

"Mr. Dungeolah, I fear the cold may consume me, or that I may fail to consume," Jayce started, "Do you think--".

"Don't fear, my man. I will tell you what you need to know!" With that, Mr. Dungeolah began to pull items from the crate. "I assume you've never seen these items before, so I'll start by detailing the application of these instruments!" He produced a tent and read the text on its label. He couldn't resist cracking a smile when he remembered, "Ah yes, this baffled me the most," he winked at Jayce with that, "I only assumed there'd be some female company on this journey, whether you wanted it originally or not... it seemed strange to me when I saw that the tent was only large enough for one person! Aha-ha-ha!"

Jayce smiled, it was good that Mr. Dungeolah had a sense of humour like this, and it showed just how well he knew Jayce. A little moment passed by, while Mr. Dungeolah briefly went over how to set up the tent and prevent it from falling over or apart. He showed him how to shield himself from wind while sleeping, using a combination of pegs and tucks around the seams of the canvas. Demonstrations were shown with the tent assembled, and Jayce felt he got a good understanding of what temperatures meant in terms of tent setup. In fact, a whole 10 minutes went by where Jayce simply experimented with the second layer of the window, (that was intended as fly deterrent) trying to stop it halfway down and fasten it at the bottom. After a good half an hour, he'd found out exactly what the tent was all about, and moved on to the next item on the list.

"So, I've shown you how the camouflage tarp. works, right?" He stopped before Jayce nodded to him, "Good, the rope has some fairly obvious practicalities, I suppose I should show you a couple of knots, though". This was Jayce's first time at anything like this, he felt like being back in training, only with survival gear instead of the sword. First up was the Overhand not, which seemed all too simple, but as more knots were introduced, namely the Slip Knot, Sheet Bend and Noose, Jayce's head began whirling in confusion. It was one thing learning how to tie the knots, but remembering when to apply them would be a nightmare for him.

As the 'training' went on, and Jayce endured more painfully baffling lectures, he began to forget some of the previous training. By the time he moved on to learning about the fishing kit, for example, he'd already forgotten half of the folds and pegging techniques involved in the tent. Overall, though, he grasped a good understanding of all of his equipment, and definitely felt more comfortable with his plan.

"I don't know how to thank you," he started, "Here, take some--" Once again he was interrupted by Mr. Dungeolah.

"Listen to me, my silly, funny man", Mr. Dungeolah looked him dead in the eye, "Money can't buy some things, and I want you to take this as a lesson. The sooner you start thinking without money, the better!"

"Oh," Jayce sighed in a half-relief, half-disappointment style, and shook Mr. Dungeolah's hand, offering him hesitantly the mizas for all of the equipment, "You still want paying for all of--"

"Of course!" Mr. Dungeolah laughed aloud at himself, "Do you know what it cost me to get all of that? I almost lost my job!"

-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

They gently pushed open the cabin door and peered out. The light shot through in a dazzling ray, leaving the pair of them to stumble around on the deck for a while while they became accustomed again to the day. The sun had climbed, and now it sat proudly atop a hill of clouds, gazing down at the early Winter scene. It wasn't very cold considering it was a Winter's day, the wind had stopped completely, and Jayce felt very free in his own space.

His stomach turned, and he realised he had to eat something, so the both of them wandered away from the vessel (after adjusting the plank to be in place on the Starboard, of course), and said their goodbyes, before parting.
Jayce Asher

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Matthew on March 12th, 2014, 9:04 pm

Sorry!

Jayce, it looks like your ledger hasn't been updated for the Winter Living Expenses. I can't grade this until your CS is up-to-date. Please shoot me a PM when it has been updated, and I will post your grade at that time.
Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)