Board and Card games?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Board and Card games?

Postby Matthew on January 9th, 2014, 6:05 pm

Have various board games ever been touched upon in Mizahar? I feel like I saw something in World Development about board games or card games, but otherwise, I haven't see much else. Do people consider things such as Chess, Go, Checkers, Poker, and so on to exist?

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Board and Card games?

Postby Mirage on January 9th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Well I have actually been playing with the idea of a Sahova version of 'Wizard chess' that helps nuits get their minds off of the monotony of their lives. The game itself is still not really worked out in my mind, and is kind of a side project that I do for fun sometimes. Basically you could build an army with pieces you collect from other Wizards that you defeat. The matches themselves are very similar to chess, with a different kind of board and different rules, but the biggest difference is that these games usually last for years, if not centuries, with the participants just coming back every once in a while to make a move and return to their lab for another year before their next move. Still nothing more than an idea though lol. Have you considered doing a game yourself?
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

Board and Card games?

Postby Matthew on January 9th, 2014, 7:22 pm

Not particularly designing one, though Matthew might actually like to do that. I have noticed chess is a thing, and people have confirmed that for me, so it really led me to wonder about other games as well. It would be interesting to have a board game night IC, as odd as that might sound.

I like the idea that you gave, though. I would enjoy seeing it, if you ever fully whip it up.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Board and Card games?

Postby Elsa Marin on January 9th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Mirage wrote:Well I have actually been playing with the idea of a Sahova version of 'Wizard chess' that helps nuits get their minds off of the monotony of their lives. The game itself is still not really worked out in my mind, and is kind of a side project that I do for fun sometimes. Basically you could build an army with pieces you collect from other Wizards that you defeat. The matches themselves are very similar to chess, with a different kind of board and different rules, but the biggest difference is that these games usually last for years, if not centuries, with the participants just coming back every once in a while to make a move and return to their lab for another year before their next move. Still nothing more than an idea though lol. Have you considered doing a game yourself?

Here I am, thinking about Mizahar games

Here Mirage is, inventing Sahovan Pokémon Warhammer

Mirage I love you

A simple solution, I think, would be to set up some kind of communal thread where people suggest re-skins or re-names of mundane games, new games, etc that could be thrown up as a go-to shortlist so people don't end up reinventing the wheel and suddenly we have 90 different versions of I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Poker.
now while he stands tough
notice that this man did not have his hands up
Elsa Marin
Player

Words: 36964
Joined roleplay: December 31st, 2013, 12:20 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Board and Card games?

Postby Orion Michaels on January 9th, 2014, 8:29 pm

Card games. I don't know much in the way of board games. Hopefully this helps. :)
Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Words: 1033425
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2012, 12:33 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)