[Training Grounds] #*$#$@ Crossbow.

Kreig attempts to discover what he is doing wrong..

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Kreig Messer on January 27th, 2014, 5:59 am

Winter 61st 13th Bell 9th chime

Kreig looked down the sight of his Crossbow in frustration, he simply couldn't find out what he was doing wrong as he aimed the weapon at the wooden post 40 yards away. 40 yards was supposed to be a pretty managable distance, especially on a day like today where there was no windage to affect his aim, only the light falling of snow seemed to be in the cards today.

He couldn't wrap his head around it, what was he doing wrong? What was so different from the previous times that he would miss so badly? Were the sights of his bow misaligned? No... only way that would happen if he dropped it on its back rather hard, especially since it was nothing more that a bolt-shaped piece of metal. Was something wrong with his bolts? No, although some had blunted slightly from over use that should have hardly affected their trajectory. Did the bolt string needed restringing? No no, it still held the same amount of power with each shot, with each press of the lever.

The bow itself was already cocked, a bolt set snuggly on the groove as he aimed down the sight, crouched on one knee and ready to do the deadly deed of murdering a wooden post. His breathing was nice and steady, he raised the elevation of the bow only slightly. This was going to be his fifth shot, his fifth shot of the second bell that is, with the previous bell filled with constant misses and the latter half of accompanied with rather colorful curses that were only heard as mumbles by the rest of the order.

He pressed the trigger and let the bolt fly through the air, it seemed, as if would reach its target with no trouble. The bolt indeed reached the target as it flew throught the air, it also went passed it and landed a few yards further then intended.

"Oh bloody petching skyke" He mumbled the words as the last he need was one of the knights complaining about his potty mouth. Frustration nearly filled him to his very being as he wanted to smash the crossbow rather violently, preferrably over someones head. But, as the brawler took a deep breath to calm himself, he knew that only a poor craftsman would blame his tools for inadequacy. Also it hve been constly to repair the weapon and he'd rather not spend a few hours in the tank for assualt.

So with what felt like the infiniteth time of tue day, Kreig lowered his cross bow, placed a foot through the stirrup anf lowered himself to grab the bow string. He lifted hinself back up as he pulled the string back with the lower muscles of his torso rather than using the ones in his arms, notching the string to the nutt and securing it tightly. He lifted the weapon against his right shoulder, his right hand reached for a bolt from the quiver as the weapon was secured his left hand. He placed the bolt on the groove and aimed, ready to try again ad he lowered himself on one knee, the elbow of his left resting against it. The position should have caused his aim to be more stable as he looked at the target from behind the sight. He breathed deeply, in and out as he took his time, before finally holding his breath breifly as he stilled his body entirely. He pressed the trigger, the bolt flew through the air, racing towards the wooden post and...missed.

Kreig almost screamed in frustration at this as he stood up and oaced furiously left and right as his eyes darted from his crossbow to the post and back again...

What was he doing wrong was the question he asked himself, what was so different from the many times before? He had the weapon for a while now, he had learned the name of each part, the differences between it and other bows, he had learned how to aim and how to load the weapon, he had learned the different positions he could use with the weapon and even how holding his breath briefly could help with his accuracy.

For Kreig's credit, he had gone through the motions correctly, there was no mistake on how he performed most of the actions. However, he failed to realize the singke mistake, a mistake so miniscule that only another could point it out to him.

" You twitch "

x
Last edited by Kreig Messer on February 9th, 2014, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on January 27th, 2014, 10:17 am

Kreig turned to see who the owner of that voice was and immediately the sfowl disappeared from his face. It was a young lad by the age of 8, or so Kreig assumed, his hair was a bright blond that Kreig was certain could be comparable to Syna's own light. He wore a simple white shirt and brown pants, a symbol that the lad was either a page ir squire of the order. In his hand was a bow the size of his body, its weight must be very lad for a lad so fragile looking to carry so easily ' A training bow, perhaps?' It was a distinct possibilty, some of the order liked to fgive their pages a bit of an early training since their young minda and bodies could learn rather quickly.

"I...twitch?" Kreig repeated the word in an inquisitive tone, his briw raised as looked at the lad. The lad nodded bashfully as he held his bow with both hands and didn't look Kreig in the eye.

So he twitched.... that was an interesting Kreig thought as he never noticed, why hadn't he? Surely he would jave noticed? "Er, are you certain?" The boy nodded again as he looked up at the brawler.

"Just as you are about to press the trigger, you twitch" That was when he did it? The moment he stilled his breath and press the trigger? Kreig looked at the weapon in his hand, holding it by the stock with his right while his left hand scratched the back of his head ' I really do that? '

"Er... just so I can be sure, lad. Can you watch me again and tell me?" the lad paused briefly, but then nodded. kreig then began to repeat the process of prepping the crossbow as he placed a foot into the stirrup and lowered himself to pull back the string as he pulled himself up. Quickly he lifted the weapon agiainst his shoulder with his left holding the foregrip, reached for a bolt from his quiver with his right hand and gently placed it on the groove. He looked down the sights and lowered himself on one knee and simply took his time... he knew he needed time, he couldn't yet fire quickly and each shot mattered with a crossbow due to how long it took to prepare. He realized in real battle he would have no such virtue, but that bridge would have to be crossed later or at least until he fixes this supposed twitch.

He breathed deeply in and out, his breath clearly exiting his body as vapor. As he inhaled the air he suddenly held his breath, the target clearly in front of him, and fired. However unbeknownst to the brawler, thw twitch occured, he ket gi of his breath too early as he pressed the trigger, a sudden shift in movement caused the bilt to fly off target as it missed the post by the distance of three bodies. Kreig was about to curse but hekd it in as he remembered the child next to him. He turned his head to the kad and askedt "Twitched?" and then sighed as the lad nodded.

" Ah, Reginald. There you are lad" Came the voice of an elderly knight as he approached the duo and gently placed a hand on the boy's head "Don't be making a habit of running off now, its dangerous for you to walk about unattended. Why aren't you practicing with the other children?"

" I was helping the big guy, Ser. He twitches when he is about to shoot" Replied the young boy as he looked up to his sponsor. The Elder Knight looked at Kreig with his brow raised.

"Er...he is quite right ser, I've not noticed till he pointed it out to me. Still don't realize I'm doing it to be honest"

The elderly knight nodded as he placed a palm beneath his gray stubble. Whatever hair the man had on top of his head long gone, liver spots left beneath it " I see....hmm, then allow me to see for myself as well....Kreig, was it? Natasha's boy?" Kreig nidded to confirm the man's belief of who Kreig was and began repeating the lengthy process of loading his light crossbow. He aimed the weapon as he crouched on one knee, breathed in and out as he took his time when finally he held his breath and, just a she fired, just a she released the breath... his aim shifted and the bilt flew, missing its target a few feet over the post.

" Hmmmm.... you do indeed twitch, or to be more precise, misalculate when to release that breath of yours. " Said the elderly knight as he approached Kreig, bringing an open palm up as he cupped Kreig's chin " You obviously suffer no ailment, physical or psychological. Simply a case of prematurely firing your weapon, and no that was nit an euphemism "

"Ser? "

" Ah, sorry. Many squires under my care, or who I've helped improved, often giggle like idiots when I say such things. Good to see on who doesn't think its funny, unless you're an idiot and just too slow too understand" He let go of the brawlers chin and looked at the boy, Reginald " Alright lad, best go back to the rest, tell Ser Anoghuld I'll be along shortly " The boy nodded and ran off, per his Patron's orders.

" Now, lets see about helping you "
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on January 27th, 2014, 7:58 pm

"Help me, Ser? er, shouldn't I just be repeating it till I get it right? Kreig asked as he lowered his lifted his crossbow and rested its prod against his shoulder.

The Elder Knight nodded " That is but part of the solution really. The rest you will see after you gather up these bolts of yours, once you do, meet me at the range " He said as he left Kreig to gather his bolts. He groaned after he left, making his own way past the post and began gathering the scattered bolts. As he did so, his mind drifted to thoughts ' I twitch? How come I've never noticed? I've had this crossbow for some time now, so how could I not? How could Natasha not notice? ' To say it annoyed him greatly was an understatement, thinking truly he had been improving only to see he was far from such.

Mumbling curses, resumed gathering the bolts. His frustration grew as the negative thoughts assualted his mind, unable to comprehend how he gained such a....a...quirk. It just felt illogical ti him that he gained such a thing with such a simple to use weapon, did that mean he was underestimating his weapin? Was he underestimating the difficulty behind such a weapon? Was what he and practiced on repeatedly simply not enough? He had answer for that....he didn't wish to ask others for it either, not wishing for his fears to be confirmed.

After the passing of a few more chimes, Kreig had gathered all his bolts and made his way to the range, or to be more precise, the archery range. There were a number of knights, squires and including a group of young children that partially made up the pages of the knighthood. They were all young, their ages varied slightly and there was even an Akalak child amongst them. Pages and Squires... these were the future Knights who would carry on the legacy of their predecessors. It was odd really,

" Ah, there you are " Came the familiar voice of the elderly knight as he suddenly grabbed Kreig by the shoulder and gently ushered him to a secluded target. The Elderly gent had placed the brawler in front of the target, a mere 10 yards away from it. Kreig's brows quirked in confusion as to why he was placed so close to the target and of course....he asked.

"Um...Ser, why I'm I so close to the target?" Kreig asked the Elder Knight as turned his head to look at him.

" To shoot it, lad. Only way you're going to get rid of that twitch is to time your shot proper"

"But couldn't I've done the sa-"

" You also won't have to walk a miserable distance to gather your bolts, which I imagine you will be oing frequently" Kreig needed no more convincing after that.

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on January 28th, 2014, 7:14 am

Kreig began practicing with his light crossbow once more as per the distance instructed of him, having lowered his form as he place his foot in the the stirrup and moved back up as he pulled the bow string and notched it to the nut. He lifted it to his shoulder and reached with his right for a bolt from his quiver, gently placed it on the groove and finally aimed down the sights.

not lad, at this distance; that breathing technique of yours is unneeded. Other than constant repetition what you need to work is to lessen the duration it takes you to unleash a bolt, from what I know of you; you favor up close combat rather than range if you can help it” Kreig couldn’t deny that, even if he did take a liking to the crossbow in his hands.

“But shouldn’t I strive to shoot more accurately, Ser?”

You should, no one is saying the opposite, but as it were battle is a quick and confusing thing. Sometimes a quick shot from the waist is better than a long shot from the shoulder, especially when the enemy is coming at you” The elder knight said as his eyes seemed to gaze into the far off distance “ Of course, the less time it takes you to fire those long shots the better….especially with that ‘twitch’ of yours as young Reginald calls it

Kreig nodded as he aimed down the sights, resting down on one knee as he did so, he still took a while to shoot despite the distance being quite clear in his line of sight. It was as if he was trying to pick out the only red ant amongst the swarm of black ones.

Well get to shooting lad, we don’t have all day and I’m old, day’s are precious now so hurry up or I’ll tell on you

To whom?’ Kreig wondered in amusement as he pressed the trigger of his crossbow, launching the bolt through the air and within half a tick, the bolt struck the target with a satisfactory thud sound. It was rather therapeutic after all the previous misses. The target, comprised of many colored circles with the center being a bright red surrounded by a white one and with that one being surrounded by a black one. The bolt had struck the white circle on the upper left edge, part of the head having grazed part of the black target . Kreig didn’t mind it that much really, he had hit something and that satisfied him quite well.

Took you long enough, though I must admit I thought you would have done better if you are taking your time to shoot from this distance” Said the Elder Knight as he observed Kreig’s handy work “ In fact, why were you shooting from whatever distance you were shooting previously? You should be shooting here, where it’s your level[/color]” Kreig felt dejected at that, truly so, but not immensely. He was simply accustomed to shooting the Crossbow from long distances; it felt alright in his head.

Alright, I think it best you practice from this distance till you can get your shots off quickly and accurately at a steady rate, well…as much as rate there is for a crossbow. You shouldn’t need the breathing technique of yours at this distance till ranges further than hmm….forty yards? In anycase, get to practicing, I’ll be back after 15 chimes to see how you’re doing
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on February 4th, 2014, 7:13 am

Kreig did as he was told as he readied his crossbow as the elder Knight departed, performing the familiar motions of lowering himself to pull back the string and notching it to the nut, lifted it against his shoulder, reached for his quiver and pulled out a bolt, placed it on the groove and finally looked behind the sight. If what he need do was simply shoot till he got it right, then he’ll do as told….he rather enjoyed shooting the crossbow after all, he just needed to fix that fault of his else things would get a might nasty if he ever ‘twitched’ during a battle while using it.

He breathed in and out, at a calm pace as to shake his aim, he was told not to hold his breath…at least for this distance, no need for this distance. A target so close simply needed a point and shoot philosophy, with that in mind he pressed the trigger and let the bolt fly, it emitted a scraping sound as it struck the target, The bolt struck the edge of the last circle…the very edge of the target itself and fumbled a bit forward, spinning 180 degrees and landing harmless on its side upon the blanket of snow.

Kreig tsked at that, he hitted the target but in a technical term he hadn’t killed it. With a resignated sigh he simply repeated the process of loading the weapon and aimed once more, the target squarely in his sight. He recalled the elder knight having complained by how long he took to simply aim, he supposed the man had a point about that…he needed to fire even more quickly after loading the crossbow….the weapon already took a tedious amount of time to prepare, to shoot had to take less else he’s even a bigger target.

He would try to shoot quicker after this next shot, he would try….

And with that he fired.
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on February 5th, 2014, 7:13 am

15 chimes had passed and true to the elderly knight’s word he came back. Kreig by that time had just retrieved all his spent bolts and war preparing for another shot. He had lifted the crossbow agains’t his shoulder and aimed down the sight, remembering his own word he pressed the trigger not two ticks later after aiming and the bolt flew through the air. Its head stuck itself on the line between the last outer black circle and the white one just beneath on the upper corner of the target.

Mmmm? Trying to get quicker I see, that’s good. You’re not going to be shooting stationary targets half the time on the battlefield so shooting quick has its advantages… just need to build up the aim later for them” He Said as he rubbed his chin and nodded to himself, as if remembering every incident where his words applied “ So how many times have you hit the target whilst I was gone?

Kreig smiled sheepishly at that as he turned his head slightly away and scratched his right arm with his left hand “Um… I fired my bow 45 times” Kreig Said…. The Elderly Knight was wise enough to know that there was going to be something bad there and preemptively placed a palm on his face “….and I struck it 14 times”

That’s….” He sighed as he lowered his palm and looked at the brawler “ …Not so bad, though I would have imagine at this distance you wouldn’t miss it with how you tediously try to aim the thing. Alright…. Listen, You don’t leave here till you hit that thing 30 times in a row

“In a row?!” Kreig was going to object to that but the elderly knight was convenianly called away and Kreig…with no other choice….Did what he was told to do.
x
Last edited by Kreig Messer on February 5th, 2014, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on February 5th, 2014, 5:41 pm

As the old coot left Kreig sighed as he performed the tedios motion of loading the crossbow AGAIN, then loaded the bow with another quiver AGAIN, aimed down the sight AGAIN and finally, pulled the lever AGAIN... This of course cause a bolt through the air AGAIN and unfortunately....to Kreig's rather large frustration, the bolt missed its mark and landed harmfully behind it. He felt his anger begining to boil at this point...his hand flailed wildly as he looked to Zulrav's skies, wishing scream out curses yet the words would not come out. He stomped the ground, displacing some snow with each wild step.

This continued on for a few chimes before Kreig stopped, panted wildly and turned around....only to freeze suddenly as he saw a number of children and their sponsors watching him. The children were giggling at the funny bloke that is Kreig. The sponsors simply smiled and looked at the elderly knight who had came back with them " And that, young ones, is why you shouldn't let frustration get to you" Said the elderly knight as the children chuckled and even one of their sponsors let out a chuckle at that.

Kreig could only feel his anger grow, he wanted to let out even more curses but he dared not do so in front of the knights and the children...especially the children. He knew where the fault blamed, but he wished that they were not here to see it! This did nothing for his moral at all, the elder knight may not have planned such a thing, a simple coincidence but that remark only burned him.

Since the weapon was uncocked and unloaded, he had no worries of doing something stupid. Instead he walked away, leaving whatever bolts he shot left ungathered....He didn't need something like this right now. The Elder Knight simply sighed at the timing of it all and allowed the brawler to walk away.

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Orion Michaels on February 25th, 2014, 4:28 am

Kreig
+5 Weapon: Light Crossbow
+2 Observation
lore :
Aiming is thrown off by twitching
Errors are corrected by going back to the basics
Repeat, Repeat, Repeat: Learning by repetition

Notes
Just what I was talking about Kreig. Good job. I know the crossbow is known for its simplicity in learning. Doing longer threads like this learning about fixing common mistakes and becoming familiar with the weapon are a great way to express that. Keep up the good work. PM me with questions/comments/concerns. Please edit your grade request to reflect its completion.
Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Words: 1033425
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2012, 12:33 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)