PM to join Where The Dark Things Hide

Separated from her caravan and a storm rolling in, Kaie seeks shelter within a cave, but she isn't alone...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Where The Dark Things Hide

Postby Kaie on February 5th, 2014, 10:12 pm

30th Day of Winter
19th Bell

Alright, I'll admit it. This is bad. This is really bad.

The young Myrian bit her lip and whirled around, snow crackling and compressing under her boots. Alert and somewhat panicked eyes scanned the vast wilderness around her, searching for something, anything that would give her a hint as to where her caravan might've gone. Alas she found nothing. She was alone in the eerie silence of the wintry woodland with naught but the falling snow to comfort her. Strangely, very few of the typical animals one might expect to find exploring the white wasteland were present. In fact the woman couldn't remember seeing one for some time. No panting of all too common wolves, nor the gentle steps of a cautious deer. Not even the gentle jostle of a branch bending under the tiny weight of a squirrel. It was wrong. All of it. And because she grew up in the savage jungles of Falyndar where the animals were often her guides, Kaie knew there was something up.

Storm.

Again her amber hues had wandered upward to peer through the wooden tendrils of bare trees, only to notice the ominous weather on its way. The clouds were darkening and suffocating Syna's light along with their advance. Winter was no longer coming. It was here, and gods damn whatever person was fool enough to brave its brutal elements. Already was the snow seeming to thicken, the gentle flakes that frosted her brown curls matting together into white blobs. The wintry breeze whipped them around in a whirlwind of dense mist around the savage, who by the way, was hardly wearing the proper clothing to travel that season at all. Over her usual attire was a thick cloak, but it was too thin to truly defend against the bitter cold nipping at her flesh. She had been out there in the open long enough trying to find her way back. A long scouting gone wrong, she was at least several bells behind the group. Surely she'd freeze before she found their camp, even if she'd located the river they were using as a guide. Kaie had no other choice if she wished to brave the night. She needed to move. She needed shelter.

Wrapping the ends of her cloak tightly around her and throwing up her hood, the Myrian trudged to her right where great mountains flashed their white faces. Up ahead she could already begin to make out a rift between great stones like a strange little path toward the greater peaks. A small trail between towering cliffs. It seemed like the best bet she had at the moment. Perhaps the odd crevice would at least offer some shelter from the wind, she hoped. If she was lucky she might find a spot worthy to start a fire. After all she wasn't totally helpless. With her brown pack strapped tightly over her shoulders and weapons attached to her hip, there was a lingering confidence emanating from her. Kaie still had valuable tools like her flint and steel, some food, and her water skin. All she needed to do was endure.
Last edited by Kaie on February 6th, 2014, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kaie on February 5th, 2014, 11:23 pm

A bronzed hand touched the exposed rock for a moment, the savage's frame shivering as the cool surface turned her skin to goose flesh. Curious eyes peered through the opening before feet propelled forward to explore. Kaie's body turned and wriggled its way through the narrow passage, wedging herself along cautiously. High above she could see the dark sky glaring down at her in the space between the cliffs that sandwiched her body. Snow drifts billowed and cascaded down the opening to punish her occasionally, daring her to continue her escape from its freeze. It wasn't long before she was actually doing a bit of dangerous navigating. Sometimes she stepped up and climbed over narrow slots and other times she forced herself through. Her pace was constant and urgent. It wasn't until she rounded a small corner that she finally stopped. This time it wasn't an obstacle that barred her trail. It was distrust.

What the petch is that?

Kaie shifted uncomfortably between the giant stone slabs, eyes narrowing at the wide opening in one of the cliff sides. A dark hole staring back at her, gaping at her with silence. No matter how hard she squinted, the young woman couldn't make out a single thing inside it. Absently, she couldn't help but think about what the barbarians called "The Void." Was that what she was looking at? The giant black hole of nothingness that swallowed what it liked and never returned them? Beside it was another passage between the mountains, but this one was obvious narrower than before. Granted there was always the possibility it would widen again and veer to a less sketchy spot. Yet the eeriness of the cave latched onto her in a way she couldn't explain. It was sitting there so conveniently as if it were waiting for someone, whispering quietly of comfort from the harsh world. It was so hard to ignore when it was angled so perfectly out of the wind...

"You know what? Petch it. It's cold," The hot blooded savage growled quietly in her native tongue before shoving herself in its direction. Her steps were bold, fearless as if she were proving to some invisible bystander that she was indeed brave enough to enter. The darkness invited her like an old friend, and in a way, it was. The shadows wrapped around her almost lovingly like hanging vines. The dank dreariness of the caverns already obvious, especially when she managed to make out tiny icicles hanging from the ceiling. Kaie didn't go very far into the stony shelter. She had stopped just when all she could see was the absence of light. Then she simply rooted herself there motionlessly and listened.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on February 6th, 2014, 12:28 am

First there was nothing for several ticks. Then it came. A fearsome howl raged from the innards of the cave, shaking her to her core at the airiness of it. It wasn't an animal. Just the wind, but it was enough to send a chill down her spine that was in no way related to the sharp breeze. After that it was as quiet as the falling snow outside. She left left to stand there dumbfounded, wondering what it was she should do next. Kaie knew better than to holler into the abyss. That was asking for trouble. Truthfully, she was far safer residing there in ignorance than she would if she made her presence obvious. Perhaps it was best she got back to worrying about the immediate danger. The cold. For that she needed a fire and she neglected to bring any tinder back there with her.

Dammit. Now what?

Kaie glanced back outside the cave but again found nothing flammable. She couldn't think of anything to light from her pack either, which was strange consider her fondness for alcohol. With the next ferocious snarl of wind through the caverns came a solution. Whipping through the twists and turns after the shrieking winter breath was a strange warmth. It never lasted long but it was there. Enough of a presence to cause Kaie to wonder if there could be a hot spring deep inside. Like her response to every other decision she'd made prior, it was worth a shot.

The Myrian stepped as quietly as she could, placing her heels down first and rolling to the balls of her feet. The sound was never truly eliminated. Every other step came with a crunch of tiny stones or the crackle of hidden ice. Her body was slowly slipping into small convulsions of shivers, her jaw tensing to keep her teeth from chattering. Still she blindly went deeper into the unknown. Irises widened the farther she walked from the natural light behind her. Fists clenched both out of instinct and to keep her arms from shaking so hard. All was so cold, so very cold. The stones, the cave floor. But the warm exhale still came faintly from the depths of the blackness. It was enough to keep the freezing jungle woman after it.

"Akajia, hear my whispers through this storm. Guide me through your darkness safely toward what I seek. I will not be afraid even now as you test me. I am not finished. I will survive in the comforts of your dark embrace if you let me," She murmured with her icy lips quietly to herself, hands stretched before her to help guide her away from walls. Feeling her way down into a tunnel, she could feel more of that warmth she so desperately craved."Myri, my Mother, your daughter still serves you loyally this far from home as she always has. I am your blade in the dark. The savage hiding in the brush. Barbarians will one day quake at the sound of my battle cry. Their blood will run thick in their own streets. They are my sacrifices to you and you alone," She said more boldly though her volume was still low. The tone was growing grave, and though she couldn't feel her toes so easily, she found comfort in her prayer. Strength in her promises."Goddess Queen, I offer you their souls and their screams to please you. I am both servant and child. I have grown in your light. Keep the blood in my veins as warm as our home in Taloba, and my muscles strong. Let my mind be sharp and my blades be sharper. All I do is for you for as long as I breathe."

Just as her prayers ended she rounded a corner and her eyes immediately narrowed. Kaie's head tilted in perplexity at the soft glow of light before her. There was no sun left to shine in through a stray gap in the cave, but the glow seemed to come from the wall. When the Myrian woman edged close enough to press her hand against the stone, she found the light was not truly there. Just a reflection against the slick stones. And the way it appeared was more like a flicker, coming and going rapidly.

Exactly like a flame...

Which could only mean...

Shyke...

Kaie whipped around and slid against a cavern wall as quickly as she could, gritting her teeth in anger all the while. She plastered herself against the surface and all but banged the back of her head back in frustration. How could she not have thought of a situation like the one she was in? Didn't she know better than to bank on a shelter so easy to find? Especially when it was one out here? Few times rivaled how infuriated she was with herself in that moment. To top it all off, having potentially hostile company within the cave wasn't even her only problem. She was still slowly freezing and that fire was her only hope, considering she couldn't start one herself. This time there was no debating her next action. Either she did it or she didn't, and by not doing it she signed off on her own death. And Dira was not reaping her that day.
Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaie on February 6th, 2014, 12:58 am

The Myrian crouched down low and inched to the edge of the cavern wall. After a few breaths she looked around from her cover. Luckily it was empty with much brighter flickers linings its walls. As quietly as she could, the young woman slid from hiding into the next section. Kaie stalked in a low crouch forward, her amber eyes burning zealously at the thought of confrontation. It would be easy, she assumed. They had no clue she was coming, and everyone knew the element of surprise was powerful. Above all else she was a Child of Myri marked like all of her kin. Her Mother would grant her all the strength she needed to come out on top. Then again, Kaie was just as overconfident and optimistic regarding her own success as any teenager.

Just as she was nearing the next corner, something caught her eye in the light of the flickering. Upon the floor was an indentation in the ice. Something had stepped on it and shattered its surface. The more Kaie studied it, reaching a bronzed hand down to feel along the cracks, the more she discovered from the simple find. Leading in the same direction the ice split was what looked to be a portion of a footprint. Well, a boot print to be exact. It was large enough to be assumed a male, and by the damage his step did to the ice, she figured he'd probably be pretty heavy as well. A few other remnants of snow once stuck to boots laid ahead and led around the next corner. The same direction she could tell the light was coming from.

Kaie hustled around to the next corner and peered around it. This time she finally saw it. A mediocre sized fire sitting oh so invitingly in the center of the cave "room," vibrant oranges and reds dancing along the dark outer walls. Beside it sat a stack of modest firewood and a large sack. Most notably there was a thick bearded man sitting and facing her direction. He was fiddling with some little wooden box and humming an unfamiliar tune in his gruff, masculine voice. So far she noticed no weapons visible. No swords or bows at least. It was time to make her move before he noticed her.

Alright. Let's get this over with.

After setting her jaw, Kaie rushed out from around the wall and sprinted at the man. The poor bastard hadn't a clue she was even advancing before her shadow eclipsed his face. The wooden box dropped with a sharp thud, and there was an inhale of shock followed by scrambling feet when the Myrian completely her bull rush. They grappled as they tumbled away from the fire until the woman succeeding in mounting him. His hands shot up desperately to grab at her, but Kaie kept knocking them away in her struggle to remain dominant.

"Get off me!" He yowled and flailed, working to strike at her futilely.

"Stop moving!" She scolded him bitterly in Common in a hostile snarl, slapping his hands away again."Let me just..."

"Blasted petching savage!"

"Son of a bitch!" Kaie shrieked suddenly in surprise as a cool metallic weapon raced along her forearm. With the distraction of pain, the man was able to wretched a foot between them and knock her back. He rose with a grumble of racial slurs and insults, Kaie reeling back and trying to piece together when the petch he got his hands on a knife. There was little time to ponder because the furious cave dweller was already coming right at her for vengeance.

"Shoulda stayed in tha' cold, stupid bitch!" He shouted at her with a swing of his knife at her chest, barely missing the Myrian's chest as she all but fell into the blaze dangerously close to her heels.

"You just made this harder than it needs to be..."

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes