Closed Way of the Sword (Ainyi)

Turrin invites Ainyi to his aeries to teach Ainyi the basics of Swordsmanship.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Way of the Sword (Ainyi)

Postby Turrin on February 12th, 2014, 5:27 am

Time Stamp: 60th of Winter, 513AV
Who: Ainyi

Noon Bell

Walking into the Stained Glass Gallery, Turrin needed to find wooden practice talon swords for today's lesson with Ainyi. He didn't want to start her off with a real sword because he knew a novice with no experience handling a weapon like a talon sword could easily hurt herself in training. Ainyi getting hurt was the last thing that he wanted for his knew apprentice. Walking through the crowd of Inarta, Turrin started to look around for a weapon seller. As he walked through the market, he noticed the famine had hit the selection of the market to the bare essentials. Yes, there were a few stands selling frivolous things, but they had very little costumer interest at all. Eventually, the Endal found a weapon booth, so he made his way and to the counter. The Avora next to him was finished buying a short sword from the merchant. When the merchant was finished with the last customer, he merchant came over to him and asked with a smile on his face, “How can I help you, Sir Endal.”

Turrin gave the man a nod and said simply, “I need two metal core practice talon swords.”

The merchant gave the Endal a curious look and asked, “You seem capable with you blade. Why would you need two?"

Turrin looked into the green eyes of the Inarta merchant and said firmly, “I know you are curious, Avora, but I have no intention of telling your my purpose for buying them.” The Endal knew that he didn't want to waste time talking to a overly talkative Avora. Turrin needed to get home, so he could be there when his apprentice arrives. The Endal had been thinking about the different training that he would put her through while he was on patrol. Turrin would give her the same training that his endal mentor gave him when he was second rider. When the merchant came back, he set down the two metal core practice talon swords on the counter and said with a annoyed look on his face, “The total price for the two swords will be fifty-five pinions.”

Turrin knew that fifty pinion was a little high for practice swords, so he countered his offer with one of his own. The Endal leaned forward on the counter looked at him and said in a firm voice, “I am not sure if your trying to swindle me out of my money merchant since I wouldn't pay fifty-five pinions for a real talon sword. Let alone fifty-five pinions for two fake talon swords wrapped in wood.” The Endal shook his head and said to himself, “Petch...I should just take them from you.” The look of anger in Avora's eyes started told Turrin that he struck a cord with him. Turrin tapped the counter with his finger and said, “I being generous now. I will give you thirty five pinions for both the weapons.”

The Avora shook his head and countered, “Thirty-five pinions...are you petching serious!” Turrin narrowed his eyes when he swore around him, and the Avora changed his tune, “No...thirty five pinions wouldn't cover the labor in making them. I would make no profit from this deal. Fine. I will give them both for fifty pinions.”

Turrin quickly countered, “Forty pinions, or I walk.” The balding Avora rubbed the stubble on his chin and thought about it and said with a smile, “Do we have a deal for forty-five pinions Endal?” Turrin saw the man sticking out his hand to him to make the deal, and the Endal thought about it for a few chimes. When Turrin made his decision, he took the merchants hand and paid him the pinions.

Thirteenth Bell

Looking at his aeries, Turrin realized that it was quite empty. Even since the storm, he had Avora and Chiet workers repairing the damage left from the fall storm. Water damage left everything of value ruined, so he had to remove and throwaway most of everything that he or his family owned during their lives in Wind Reach. Now his aeries was a empty shell. Turrin knew that he would need to redecorate in the spring since the winter season was to busy for him to worry about his home. Aponivi had give them permission to practice in his aeries since Ainyi and him didn't have any other place to work on there swordsmanship since the Valintar closed down the Fighting Pit. Sitting against the wall, Turrin patiently waited for Ainyi to arrive.

Receipt45 pinions for (2) metal core practice talon swords
Last edited by Turrin on March 3rd, 2014, 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Way of the Sword (Ainyi)

Postby Ainyi on February 18th, 2014, 1:04 am

Thunk.

The arrow fell entirely off target, in the last ring. Ainyi glanced up at the rest of her arrows, their consistency leaving much to be desired. Her face squinted in frustration as 'clear' was called, and the archers retrieved their arrows. A few Avora smirked at her less than impressive arrows, but she paid them no mind. Every archer had a bad day. She had seen every one of them shoot poorly on days she nearly shot the center. In plus, she had to meet Turrin for sword training shortly. Their stares wouldn't matter anymore when she was their peer.

It was near Thirteenth Bell when Ainyi entered the Warrens. She cursed the Winter under her foggy breathe as her rib cage rattled in the chilled air. There was hardly any movement among them; most were working their jobs at this hour, leaving the halls eerily empty. The occasional Dek passed by, hugging their bodies to themselves in their threadbare shifts. In those moments, Ainyi found herself thankful for what humble advantage Turrin's actions would give her.

It saddened her that the Dek were not even afforded the basics to life; her father used to lament this to her frequently. As she turned the corner, a Dek nearly ran straight into her in her hurry. The woman stopped so hard, she tumbled to the ice-cold floor, audibly yelping from it, refusing Ainyi eye contact. Furrowing her brow, the Chiet looked about. Nobody else saw them. Kneeling, she helped the Dek woman up, letting the warmth of her hands be siphoned into the woman for the moment. The woman eyed her with bitter daggers, before recoiling and running off. Ainyi's features frowned as she just stopped and stared after her for a second. She had shown her kindness, and received bitterness. It was a series of actions that felt rather confusing to Ainyi; one she didn't understand until she glimpsed the blue tinge of flesh on the underside of the Dek woman's legs. Her charity didn't help the woman. Her pity only shamed her, in this harsh caste system.

It was only when her ribs rattled under her skin that Ainyi realized she had stood in contemplation for too long. She was surely running late now. Half running now, she approached the Aeries, and did her best to remember which among them Turrin described as her own.

"Are you lost, Chiet?" An Endal's voice sneered behind her. "You're not allowed in our Aeries. Leave now, before we dispose of you in other ways."

Ainyi rolled her eyes impatiently. "I am second rider to Turrin," She announced proudly, "And I am visiting his Aerie on business. I have every right to be here - unless you'd like to tell him why his apprentice is not on time?" The Endal's eyes shot up in surprise; Ainyi took the stunned silence as permission, and sighed breathily as she found the right Aerie, knocking on the door.

"Turrin?" She called gently in greeting, waiting to be let in. "I'm very sorry if I'm late. I had some minor...delays on the way."
The gorgeous boxcode above was made by the lovely Edreina.
Ainyi
Player

Words: 131991
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2011, 3:48 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Way of the Sword (Ainyi)

Postby Turrin on February 23rd, 2014, 2:52 am

Turrin was excited in teaching his new apprentice. His father and mother taught him everything that he needed to know about being a warrior and hunter, and it would be nice to pass down his knowledge to another person. When he first met Ainyi, he felt sorry for her because her caste prevented her from achieving her dream. Turrin knew that caste system was flawed because even though the leaders of Wind Reach said it was flexible. In reality, the caste system didn't allow the persevere through the struggles of life. If Inarta are disabled or just not motivated in youth, they are left behind by the rest of society. Turrin wasn't sure about Ainyi's past, but there was a reason why she was made a chiet and not a Avora. When he heard a knock at the door, Turrin looked up realizing that she was half a bell late. In Taloba, she would have been drug through the mud for her behavior, but he knew the Inarta woman wouldn't enjoy Myrian training, so he decided that he needed to tone down his teaching method since she was just a Inarta.

Turrin pushed himself off the wall, opened the door, and listened to the woman apologize for her actions. The Endal said with a nod, “I understand, but in the future, come on time, Ainyi.” Turrin stepped aside and to let the woman inside his aeries and said simply, “It is important because it could take bells to fly to hunting grounds in the Unforgiving, and if we need to make it before nightfall, being late could shorten our time hunting.” The Endal handed one of his metal core practice talon swords and said with a smile, “Today, I will let use this practice sword, but I want you to buy on for yourself and practice at home.” When she took the sword, Turrin walked her to Aponivi's home in the back of the aeries. When he lead her out of the hallway, Turrin noticed his home was still devoid of furniture because of the fall storm that devastated his aeries last spring. The only piece of furniture left in his home was small stone alter with two burnt skulls on top of it and the feather mattress bed in his bedroom. The Endal knew his apprentice might have questions about the alter, so he mentally prepare for questioning about the remains of his sister and mother.

Turrin lead her through the living room and down the hall to a doorway. The Endal opened the door for Ainyi and waved her into the room. When Turrin walked in the room, he smiled over at the gaint wind eagle laying in his perch with his head under his wing. The myrian was always amazed at the majestic beauty of the massive bird. Aponivi had just black wings all over his body accept for the bright white feathers on his head and tail feathers. When Turrin walked into the room, Aponivi lifted his massive head and nodded to Turrin and contacted him, “Is she your second rider, Turrin?” Turrin looked at Ainyi and mentally contacted Aponivi, “Yes, Ainyi will be riding with us next spring my friend. Any objections?” Aponivi looked at Ainya and back to Turrin and said mentally, “No, she will do nicely.” The great wind eagle look at Ainyi and contacted the young woman mentally, “Welcome to my home, Ainyi since you are Turrin's apprentice. You are welcome to visit me whenever you want, but I suggest you let my Endal know first alright.”

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Way of the Sword (Ainyi)

Postby Ainyi on February 28th, 2014, 5:19 am

"I understand, but in the future, come on time, Ainyi. It is important because it could take bells to fly to hunting grounds in the Unforgiving, and if we need to make it before nightfall, being late could shorten our time hunting.”

Ainyi took the training sword from him, but before they entered the Aerie, she paused, biting her tongue with shame of her own tardiness to her first session. The significance of what his tutelage meant to her could hardly be expressed in words, but to let this go with no explanation felt wrong to her. She stopped before the Aerie, and gripped the practice sword in both hands, looking up to Turrin's towering stature with a meek sense of conviction.

"I understand, First Rider," she acknowledged, mouth playing with her mentor's new title. "Perhaps - I am not sure how public you have been, about taking me as a Second Rider. I was searching for your Aerie, and an Endal sought to remove me. I promise, I will be on time in the future. With caste tensions high this Winter, and bellies growing weary - " Ainyi felt strange dancing about what she was asking like this. Her tongue writhed in discomfort, before she finally spit out, "If you know of any Endal especially wary of the lower castes right now, perhaps you ought to mention me to them. It will help my passage."

Feeling relieved once that was said, she looked around the room. Between Wingard's Aerie and Turrin's Aerie, the Chiet began to wonder what Endals had so much space for to begin with. They had infinite space, and hardly made use of it. The only thing of great significance that seemed to exist in the room was an altar with two burned skulls sitting on them. Something disturbed her about them; their foreign nature. She gathered, from his brawl in the warrens and his cry to Myri, that his other half was most likely Myrish. Ainyi found herself staring into the empty eye sockets, mesmerized by the dark holes and the dark shadows within them.

As Turrin padded onward toward where they would be practicing, the archer snapped herself out of it, with a red sheepish face. She felt to ask about something that seemed so personal would be less than prudent now, especially given her tardiness. As they walked towards Aponivi's resting place, she simply commented, "You have a very intimate Aerie."

As he guided her forward to Aponivi's room, Ainyi felt her heart quicken. Every Inartan sees a wind eagle in their time, and treats them with the infinite respect deserved to them...but it hit Ainyi she was about to meet a Wind Eagle she would do more than just see in ceremony, or serve in passing, but ride. It was an honor few Inarta would ever receive in their lifetimes...one she didn't fully realize until she set eyes upon the massive bird, and her jaw separated from the rest of her mouth.

His massive, sleek black form was broken only by the fan of white in his tail feathers. She had trouble finding his head, until his brilliant white face rose and stared alertly between his bondmate and her. Aponivi's eyes seemed to pierce through her very body when he stared at her, then back to his mate. She felt her throat swallowing quickly, palms sweating on the grip of the training sword. It felt so strange to be in such a personal space with one of the most sacred creatures she's known. She didn't even notice the silence as the other two communicated mentally, simply drinking what her future looked like with a mouth slightly open, and eyes filled with wonder.

“Welcome to my home, Ainyi since you are Turrin's apprentice. You are welcome to visit me whenever you want, but I suggest you let my Endal know first alright.”

Ainyi blinked her eyes wide, and shook her head a little in surprise at the...voice that just appeared in within her mind. She had known that Wind Eagles chose to speak to others in this manner, but to experience it was a world of difference from the description. The Chiet looked between the Eagle and the Endal with a bewildered smile, as though there was some great trick they were both in on.

"I - I think Aponivi just spoke to me in my mind," She said out loud in surprise to Turrin. "I - how do I respond?" In a perhaps futile attempt to answer the question on her own, she squinted her eyes, screwed up her face, and thought very clearly in the direction of the Wind Eagle, I am honored to be in your presence, and to fly on your back next season, Aponivi. I hope to prove myself worthy of the privilege.

Ainyi blinked, hoping she didn't just make a funny face at a hailed creature and look like a blithering idiot. Hefting the wooden sword in her hand, she gently asked, "What happens now?"
The gorgeous boxcode above was made by the lovely Edreina.
Ainyi
Player

Words: 131991
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2011, 3:48 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Way of the Sword (Ainyi)

Postby Turrin on March 3rd, 2014, 10:45 pm

The way Ainyi looked at Aponivi Turrin could notice the signs of the wind eagle communicating with her in her mind. Turrin started to rotate his shoulders to stretch and loosen up his shoulder muscles. The endal just smiled to himself when Ainyi acted astonished that the great bird decided to communicate with her. The myrian bent down and tried to touch his toes with his finger tips. As he stretched, he could feel his hamstrings start to burn as his fingers tips only made it past his knees. Turrin said with a smile and said out loud, “Good you have the talent to talk to wind eagles telepathically.” Standing back up, Turrin decided to stretch out his groin muscles, so he started to do the splits. The hunter could only go half-way till he had to stop, and he could feel the groin and the inside of leg start to burn. The endal just said with a smile, “You can either talk to him out loud or you can speak to him in your mind. You just have to remember that he is a creature that demands respect, so I would suggest you be polite to him.” Turrin could feel his leg muscles start to really burn, so he stood up and started to rotate his wrists to loosen his joints in his wrists. He stayed silent till Aponivi and her finished her conversation.

Aponivi nodded his large head to Ainyi and responded, “Very well said Ainyi, and I eager to see you grow, but I should leave you be since Turrin is getting done with his stretching now.”

The wind eagle put his head on the floor and closed his eyes to sleep. Turrin could tell their conversation was over, so he looked up at her and said with a smile, “I am sorry that I forgot to tell the other endals about you. Honestly, I have been excited to tutor a apprentice, so it slipped my mind in my excitement to let the rest of my caste know about you.” Crossing his arms across his body, he tried to touch end of the aeries with his hand. Turrin started his introduction, “We won't be using real swords yet because you are still a novice, and I don't want you to cut off a finger, toe, or arm on your first day of training.” The Endal walked up to her and showed the young woman the sword and continued his lecture, “I bought these metal core wooden practice swords, so you can get used the weight of a real talon sword while we are doing drills and sparing.” The hunter said with a nod, “Alright, first I will teach you how to hold a talon sword. The talon sword is traditionally a one handed weapon, but with the long handle, you could use two hands for extra power when attacking, and strength when your are defending.”

Turrin's hands gripped the top of hilt about two inches from the curved wooden blade. The hunter noticed his grip was tight, but he wasn't seeing the white of his knuckles around the glass hand. The endal raised his golden eyes and said softly, “When you hold it one handed, you need to hold it almost to the top of your sword hilt. This grip will give you the maximum control and hold on your weapon.” Turrin raised his hand, showed the chiet woman his grip, and said with smile, “When you hold your sword, you must have a tight grip on it, so you don't drop it. However, you don't want to hold it to tightly otherwise the vibrations of striking an a object can hurt your hand or arm causing you to drop your weapon anyways.” The endal lowered his weapon and nodded for Ainyi to demonstrate for him how to hold her talon sword. He doubted the woman would be perfect at first, but he figure that she would be a fast learner. Turrin learned from his mother that swordsmanship wasn't just swinging a sword and killing something. Ceela, his mother, taught him a philosophy or code for him to follow, so his sword art wasn't just mindless violence. Turrin decided to ask her a philosophical question, “Ainyi, before we continue, I want you to ask yourself why do you want to learn swordsmanship? Other than me telling you that you should learn to defend yourself in Unforgiving. Is there any personal reasons?”

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Way of the Sword (Ainyi)

Postby Alaia on July 31st, 2014, 1:35 pm

Turrin

Turrin :
Negotiation +1 XP
Teaching +1 XP
Socialization +1 XP

Lores

• Ainyi: Can talk with Aponivi
  • Haggling over pricing

Additional comments

Sorry there wasn't much here! Seems like it would have been a good thread otherwise though. Please update your post in the grade request thread to show this thread as completed. :D

Ainyi

Ainyi :
Additional comments

I have sent you a PM discussing problems with your ledger, please PM me when you fix these should you decide to become active with this character again! I will award your grade once these things are fixed.

I will do my best to give you what grades you have earned! However, if there is something you feel I missed or anything you have questions on please don't hesitate to PM me and we can talk.

Alaia
My soul whispers to you in the silence.

Words: 181488
Joined roleplay: May 27th, 2014, 7:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes