A Few Questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

A Few Questions

Postby Flicka on September 7th, 2010, 6:18 am

Hey,

I've recently stumbled across Mizahar and love it. I've gotten myself deep in character development and still feel like I have a ton more to add to my character sheet, despite the time I've already spent on it, though I'm trying hard not to ramble on about my character's history and such. Anyway, before I start actually role playing, I have a few questions.

1. My character currently resides in Wind Reach but will probably travel in the future. I'd like to get the tent and other materials from the starting package, but since I'll be living in the city for a bit, I don't know if I should have a house instead. But the Darniva Commonrooms are free for Wind Reach citizens, so would I be able to live there and still have my tent and such as part of my starter package?

2. I've noticed that the languages seem to be a bit underdeveloped and aren't very uniform. I love linguistics and am currently learning three different languages, and have dabbled with inventing my own - not to say that I'm qualified at all, because it's just a little hobby, but I'm just saying that it's something that really interests me. So could common role players such as myself help expand on the languages of Mizahar?

3. On that note, can characters further develop their language skills or learn new languages? I know that they start out with three languages (fluent, basic, poor) with their starter pack, but some NPCs know many and I would think that if one's character traveled a lot they would pick up on some new words. Are they able to do that?

4. How do characters earn money? Through jobs? My character is currently employed, so if I role play her working, will she earn money?

I completely forgot the main questions I wanted to ask and kind of rambled. Oops. Anyway, thank you in advance for answering!
Flicka
Player

Words: 5159
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2010, 5:31 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

A Few Questions

Postby Kelpie on September 7th, 2010, 5:59 pm

Hello! Welcome to Mizahar, I'll try to answer these as best as I can. :)

1. Yes you'll be able to keep the tent and materials for travel, as all Inarta start out with free lodging given to them by the Darniva Commons.

2. I don't see why not, I know a couple of people, (Siiri for one), who actually makes up some words for the Myrian language in his day to day writings. If you made up a phrase or a word, that'd be great, and it'd help other players that seek the language their PC's speak.

3. Language is awarded through lore as your PC RP's it out. (Learns from an NPC or another player or just lives in that respective place for a while.) As a start, for example, you'd recieve Pavi (Partial), then as you expand your RP in that area and roleplay more about the language you will most likely get Pavi (Fluent) or (Conversational).

4. Through Jobs, looting bodies or abandoned caravans (although the latter must be given to you by a storyteller exclusively). You may earn an income for every season while you have a job. Say if you enrolled at a book store, each season you'll be granted say 100gm for your work.

Hope that helps. :)
Kelpie
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Words: 144278
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2010, 1:27 am
Location: DS of Lhavit, Mod abilities in Lhavit and Unforgiving
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

A Few Questions

Postby Rage on September 7th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Greetings.

A little note on #2, while I think it's great you have an interest in expanding the languages of the game's world, I feel that most players might find it a little tedious to have to translate what they read word for word into English. That is not to say a foreign word or phrase here and there is not welcome, I believe it adds flavor to one's RP experience. For example, if I may just direct you to this interesting little page, you might see what I mean...

Welcome to Mizahar, by the way! Hope you enjoy the experience.
;)

Notice: I will not be available for modding in the foreseeable future until I've cleared up my backlog of Miz stuff (PC and ST-wise). Hopefully, it's a temporary thing, but we'll see. I will still grade your threads, however.
Rage
Devourer of Souls

Words: 109059
Joined roleplay: August 5th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office

A Few Questions

Postby Flicka on September 7th, 2010, 11:14 pm

Thank you for the responses. (:

I was planning to not go overboard with the whole language thing, just have some words and phrases available, a few notes on pronunciation, and basic stuff like that. I agree that it would be extremely difficult to translate everything. Right now there isn't very much on the languages itself, but I think if there was more information people could use the guidelines to then build something like, say, a poem that their character wrote, which might sound more interesting in another language. And then a translation could be written underneath so the reader wouldn't have to translate manually. Then you could imagine how the person would sound when they're reciting the poem, or singing, or whatever. Just usual speech would be in English. And only people who are interested would really have to use it.

And then we can be like those nerds who learn Elvish or Na'vi. :B
Just kidding.
And no offense to nerds, because I am one. I was totally poking fun at myself.

Anyway, I think it'd still be nice to have as an artistic option to add flavour to the role play experience.
Flicka
Player

Words: 5159
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2010, 5:31 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet