[Flashback] As a favor, for a favor (private, training)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Akiva Korvashi on September 12th, 2010, 1:54 pm

56th Day of Summer, 510 AV

The trees were thinning as they neared Sunberth, a coastal city. The sun was high in the day, and the air was warm, though not unpleasantly so. There was a slight breeze blowing through the forest today. The forest was silent today, except for a few birds, though there was bound to be many deer ripe for the picking.

Akiva knelt beside a broken branch. Today was the day they hunted. Normally she hunted alone, but today she would teach Keorvic how to hunt. He had apparently had a bow and arrows all along, but she had never known about them. She wasn't completely sure how he hid things that large from her. Today's hunting lesson was a favor in return for him teaching her how to fish on an earlier night.

She picked the branch up and examined it closely.
"Someone dropped a branch. Hmm." she said to Keorvic, and tossed it over her shoulder. "Anyway, don't do what I just did, too much noise. It will scare the prey away." She crept forward through the woods, hoping that Keorvic was behind her, though knowing that he had probably fallen behind, because it was too quiet.

She looked back to where she had left him, and the branch, waiting for him to catch up. She knelt again, as to not be spotted by a deer or other large game. Keorvic was new to this though, so she doubted they would catch anything at all, or at least nothing very big. He also wasn't very quiet, but she would teach him how to be, and teach him the basics of hunting.

Time always passed much slower when she was hunting, as if things were going in slow motion, and only she were left untouched by it. Leaves rustled in the threes overhead, producing a wave-like sound, like the waters of the ocean rolling back to the shore.
Akiva Korvashi
Hunter in the flesh

Words: 89178
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2010, 10:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Keorvic on September 12th, 2010, 2:50 pm

Keorvic just dodged the branch as it flew towards his face. "Jeez she seems out of it today" he thought to himself. Considering what she had just said, she wasn't normally like this on a hunt. Hopefully he would be able to learn something, even if it was only what not to do. He crept closer to Akiva, trying to emulate her cat-like movements and her cat-like silence. He wasn't doing very well, but at least he could manage to not step on broken branches and twigs. The long bow he had slung over his back kept getting caught in branches and bushes, and the quiver of arrows jostled with every step unless he exaggerated his movements.

"So, I hope you realize the even if we do something to shoot, I've never shot a bow. I'm not even sure I could pull it back all the way, much less hit anything." he whispered to her when he finally caught up. He was unsure how he had managed to overlook both the large bow and a quiver of one hundred arrows, but he had. When he had made the discovery, Akiva was jubilant. she proclaimed that she would take him hunting and teach him how to shoot and hunt. He was less excited, aware of how bad he was at stealthy movement. "Oh well. I can't improve if I never try." he thought to himself.
Keorvic
Ask me about my scar

Words: 64206
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2010, 3:48 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Akiva Korvashi on September 12th, 2010, 3:23 pm

Akiva turned to him, confused as to why he would have a bow and arrows if he did not know how to use them. She shrugged and stood up, positioning herself beside the man. "You're strong, you should be able to draw it," she whispered. "Now take the bow, I will teach you." She took her own bow, and positioned one hand on the bow itself, and took the bowstring in the other. "This is how you hold it, use your dominant hand to hold the bow, so that it's easier to aim. This will also hold the tip of the arrow in place so you can shoot it in a straight line."

She took an arrow from her quiver and put it to the bow.
"With the other hand, you need to hold the arrow to the string, and then release it so that both are let loose at the same time. That way the arrow won't get caught in your fingers and fall to the ground." She pulled the string back with the arrow to show him what she meant. "Try not to hurt your back, good posture is very important to archers. Without it you can't shoot as far, or do as much damage."

She removed the arrow from the bowstring and held it, along with the bow, at her side.
"Now you try," she said, searching for a suitable target for him to aim for, and hopefully hit. If he had no training in archery, then they surely wouldn't catch anything today. It mattered not though, this hunting trip wasn't about catching food so much as it was about teaching Keorvic.

She spotted a tree with a hollowed out hole mid trunk about the right distance away for his first shot. The tree stood about 40 yards away, well within the range of his longbow.
"And remember, longbows shoot much further than shortbows, which I use. So you'll be able to shoot things from further away than I can, if you can aim that well. That tree over there shouldn't be a problem at all for you, you'd be able to hit something 10 times further than that at full range. Since you're new to this though, I'd advise not going for targets that are too far away. Have a shot at it, just below that hollow in the tree if you can. Pull the string back as far as you can before releasing."

She crouched back down beside him, not so much to be unseen by anything that may be around, because she had given up on that by this point. She crouched this time for comfort.
"Oh, and if you aim slightly up from your target you're more likely to hit it, though at this close of a range for a longbow I'm not sure that would matter too much. Keep in mind that the wind will affect your aim, and that your arrow always falls toward the ground."

Though she knew a bit about how archery worked, and how to do it, she wasn't exactly sure why it was like that. She had no idea why the arrow always fell toward the ground, even when it was released to a high speed, and even when there was no wind. She knew that she didn't understand things such as this, but most of the time, she didn't really care. Right now was one of those times.
Akiva Korvashi
Hunter in the flesh

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Keorvic on September 13th, 2010, 2:48 am

Keorvic eyed Akiva, then turned to look for the tree she was talking about. he finally spotted it some yards away. Keorvic was not confident that he could hit the target at all. There was a soft breeze, and dispite Akiva's confidence in him, he was unsure he coulld even draw the bow back all the way. "Here it goes" he thought to himself. He was sure he would embarass himself. He inhaled and straightened up. Pulling an arrow from his quiver, he tried to make his movements smooth. He set the arrow on the bowstring after some fumbling and then tried to mimic how Akiva had held the arrow. As soon as he began to pull back, though, he ran into a problem.

"Uhm, I can't hold onto it like that. my fingers aren't strong enough." he admitted, abashed. ""Here, I'll try it like this. he said, and adjusted his fingers so that he had a better grip on the arrow. having done that, he straightened up again, and tried to take a bead on the hollow Akiva had pointed out. With that, he drew back and released the arrow, managing to slap the string against his forearm. The arrow, however, flew straight and true. Straight through the folliage of the tree, truely up into the sky. He sighed and rubbed his stinging forearm, trying not to let Akiva see how much it had hurt.

"Well, that was magical. How do I shoot this thing without whipping myself in the forearm every time I shoot?" he asked her. He was now annoyed, though not with her. He should have known better. Keorvic had never been any good with a bow. Now he was sure that the rest of the day would be him embarassing himself further. he looked at Akiva. "That was terrible wasn't it?"
Keorvic
Ask me about my scar

Character sheet

Postby Akiva Korvashi on September 13th, 2010, 3:37 am

Akiva watched as Keorvic's arrow misfired and the string caught his arm. She wasn't exactly sure how he had done it, as she herself had never encountered such a problem. This wouldn't be quite so hard as she thought, he wasn't half bad for a beginner.

"You should have seen my first shot. Landed about two feet in front of me. As for not hurting yourself...try harder. I don't really know what to say, it's never happened to me. Don't bend your elbow inward, that may help. Keep it completely straight, don't lock it." She demonstrated what she wanted him to do with her bow, keeping her arm straight, then locking her elbow to show him what not to do.

"See how it makes your arm go in just a bit? That little bit could get you hurt. Not doing that may help prevent that." She wasn't completely sure if what she was saying was correct, but it sounded right at least, to her. "All I can really tell you for now is to try again. I'll give you a demonstration of how to aim."

She raised her bow to the target she had pointed out, a tree, just below the hollow in the middle of the trunk. "Like I said, aim upward a little because the arrow will always drift downward, and aim according to the wind. If the wind is blowing east, aim slightly west. I'm still not an expert, but I can aim okay."

She drew her bow, holding her position for a moment, "see my posture, the way I'm holding the bow? You're going to want to keep your back and arm straight for the most part. Sometimes when you're hunting you won't be in a position to stand up or keep your back straight, but your arm should always be straight."

She let go of the arrow, which flew straight into the trunk, just slightly lower than the hollow. A perfect demonstration, or so she thought. She didn't want to lead Keorvic astray in the ways of archery. Though she wasn't an expert in the field, she knew enough to teach him all of what she knew already.

"Think of it like fishing. You aim where you're going to have the bobber land, don't you? You have to keep wind and falling in mind then too. Just don't give up. Now, aim for where my arrow hit, and don't forget the wind." She stepped back behind Keorvic again and waited patiently for him to fire his second arrow.
Akiva Korvashi
Hunter in the flesh

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Keorvic on September 16th, 2010, 2:03 pm

Keorvic smiled at her storyand nodded. "Ok, I'll try again." He straightened up and tried to keep his arm straight without locking it all the way. Then he put an arrow on the string, pulled back, sighted and let it fly. This time he actually managed to hit a tree, and it was a tree that happened to be near the one Akiva told him to aim at.

"Well that's an improvement I guess." He pulled out another arrow, and slotted it on the string. This time he held onto the arrow for slightly longer and sighted as little more carefully. He let the arrow loose and it flew straight and true, right into the ground. "Well, At least I'm not actually hurting myself when I shoot anymore." he murmured, sighing. He had seen Akiva hunt before, and was often impressed at her aim. He figured it was something that would be mildly difficult, but not like this.This was not easy.

After about twenty more shots, he told Akiva he was going to gather his arrows. one or two had actually hit the tree he was aiming at, but not near the hollow he wanted. As he walked back over to where Akiva sat, he thought he heard a russling behind him. He turned and looked into the face of a buck with a hedgehog made of antlers on his head. Either that, or this was a very unusual deer. He stared, and the deer stared back. He raised his bow and the buck snorted at him. He let fly, confident that he couldn't miss at this range, and struck the deer squarely through one of the antlers, lodging into one of the antlers. The huge buck looked confused for a moment, snorted and stomped a hoof, then turned and serenly walked away.
Keorvic
Ask me about my scar

Character sheet

Postby Akiva Korvashi on September 16th, 2010, 3:05 pm

Akiva stared in astonishment as the buck came so close to where they were. Keorvic somehow miraculously managed to miss, despite his close range. "Good enough for now, let's go!" She whispered excitedly, and stood up, walking quietly toward where the buck was heading. She raised an arrow to her bow and drew the string.

She was surprised the buck hadn't attacked or run, as they normally did. She'd never seen one this big though, she mostly hunted doe. She motioned for Keorvic to follow her, and took off silently into the woods.

The buck hadn't gone far before she found it, eating something with its backside to her. Keorvic's arrow was lodged between its very large antlers, she turned back to Keorvic, waiting for him to catch up.

"I want you to take the first shot, if you miss, he'll go running, and I can catch him hopefully if he does. I want you to hit him though," she whispered. "This range should make it easy for you to hit him, though the angle isn't that great. Try hitting him square in the neck if you can, that will put him down fairly quickly, though it may take more than one hit."

She looked to him expectantly, waiting for him to fire off the decisive shot. If he were to miss, she would take the buck down herself, running after him, if she could. If he hit, she would fire off her arrow as well to make sure it went down. Either way, she hoped that they would be well fed at the end of the night. She readied her arrow again and waited.
Akiva Korvashi
Hunter in the flesh

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Keorvic on September 18th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Numb fingers nearly dropped the bow as the huge animal dismissed him and turned away. With deceptive speed, it disappeared into the foliage of the forest around him. Suddenly, the moment was over, and Akiva shouldered past him, following the huge animal. she whispered something as she passed him, but he just shook his head. his brain finally got through to his legs, and informed them that they should take him after Akiva.

When he caught up to her, the Stag was still completely relaxed, confident that nothing could hurt him. Akiva told him to take the shot, but Keorvic grunted. "I dunno, I mean, I doubt we can carry all that meat back to camp, why don't we just let it go?" he asked, eyeing the huger antlers. something like that could seriously hurt both him and Akiva, or even kill them. But what shocked him the most was that the buck hadn't attacked. He didn't have a whole load of experience hunting deer, but he knew that the males could be dangerously territorial.

She obviously wanted to shoot the creature. Of course she did, she was a predator, a hunter. With a sigh, he shook his head at her. "No, I couldn't hit it when I was five feet away. I'm not going to shoot it now." He wasn't sure why he was so unwilling to shoot the massive animal, but he knew he wasn't going to, no matter what.
Keorvic
Ask me about my scar

Character sheet

Postby Akiva Korvashi on September 19th, 2010, 3:08 am

Akiva looked at Keorvic, astounded. "You don't...want to .. kill the food?" She asked, almost in shock. "Are you feeling okay?" She was pretty openly staring at him as if he were ill, and not working at all to keep her voice as low as she should. As such, while she was turned to Keorvic, paying more attention to getting him to shoot the buck, than making sure the buck stayed tehre for them to shoot, the buck casually wandered away as if he cared not for their petty squabbles or business ordeals, or whatever it was that human and human like creatures were concerned with. "That's enough food to feed us until we get to Sunberth or even further, we could even sell that if we wanted to, and all that pretty trophies that come along with it. I hear people like to keep the horns and fur sometimes you know. Now aim carfully and shoot that buck, I've been feeling pretty hungry lately." Akiva finished her short speech and turned back around to face her target, though in dismay, found that it was nowhere to be seen. She frowned and said in a low voice, "Well I guess we won't be killing it after all, so it doesn't seem to matter." She had to admit, though she had never been mad at Keorvic, he could be a bit frustrating sometimes. She felt like he didn't understand her love for some times, like hunting, and meat, and eating. She wasn't mad at him now either, just upset, she had really wanted to help him by teaching him to hunt, and had really wanted to get the buck. Maybe he just wasn't ready for all of this. She sighed and prepared herself for another lesson.
Akiva Korvashi
Hunter in the flesh

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Keorvic on September 25th, 2010, 3:38 am

Keorvic sighed. "Im sorry love, it just doesn't feel right for some reason. I have no problem catching and eating fish, but I use as much of the fish as I can so I don't have to catch more than I need. Killing a deer that big just seemed like the wrong thing to do." He shrugged, a little embarrassed and disappointed in himself. While everything he had said was true, he also just couldn't bear to shoot something like that. The fish he caught died quick and painlessly, but he didn't think he would be able to kill the deer in the same way.

There was something he couldn't quiet qualify about what had happened just now, something he wasn't sure he was ready to share with Akiva. When he had turned and seen the deer, it had almost looked like it was asking him something, and when he had drawn an arrow and fired, it had dismissed him as not ready yet. That it also could have been that it was just as surprised to see people in these woods as Keorvic had been to run into a massive buck. He let out another sigh and glanced at Akiva. "I'm sorry, I just don't think I am ready to try to take down something like that yet. Maybe if we see a rabbit or a squirrel or something I'll try for it." he said. "On second thought, we should both probably shoot if we see one of those, because I will most likely miss." he said in a mild attempt at humor.

The big fisherman turned and headed back to wear they had been practicing earlier. He hoped Akiva wouldn't be too upset with him. He knew how she liked to kill things. when he got back to where they had been standing earlier, he turned and began firing again, first making sure that Akiva would not be in the way. He drew the arrows smoothly, setting them on the bowstring with only the smallest amount of fumbling. Spending most of his life working with fishing line carried over in the strangest ways sometimes. He worked hard to draw the bow back as much as he could and still control the shot, also making sure that his elbow was not locked. His muscles were starting to burn slightly as he used them in ways that they were unused to. After a few shots he started getting better, and on his fifth arrow he actually managed to hit the tree. He turned excitedly to Akiva, hoping she had seen it.
Keorvic
Ask me about my scar

Character sheet

Next