Closed [The Glynstein Master Station] An Old Friend and A New Place

Ale and Grace meet up agains for dagger practice

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[The Glynstein Master Station] An Old Friend and A New Place

Postby Grace Lechar on March 17th, 2014, 11:22 pm

29th of Spring 514AV
The morning was warm when Grace departed. Winter was finally beginning to unlock it's grasp on the city of Riverfall, to far into Spring for Grace's opinion. The sun was already high in the sky as she walked. She had to take care of the horses before she wandered off, and so her responsibilities at the Sanctuary were done, for now. Grace knew she would have to be back before dusk to feed the horses, but she had time. She wanted to know about her brother. The man who hadn't shunned her as her parents had, who had taken responsibility of her when her parents wouldn't. She felt bad for leaving so abruptly, her brother nor her parents knew what happened to her. So she was going to find a way to get a message to him.

They Syliran Knight outpost was just outside the wall, and Grace was going to go inquire about her brother there. Chances are he wouldn't be there, but the outpost was relatively close, she could get a message to him soon enough. Jeno trotted beside Grace, her long strides and brisk walk were too fast for the dog as they neared the fortress. Grace stopped at the giant wooden doors, the shadow of the guarded wall loomed over her, and Grace brought her knuckles up to rap on the door. Her knocked seemed as if it had done nothing, the door was so big.

"Hello?" A young boy swung the wood out of the way. Grace realized that out of the giant opening, a small normal sized door was cut out. Her brows furrowed immediately. There wasn't more security on this place? Maybe they had seen her walking up and considered her not to be dangerous. She didn't really know how these things worked. Grace whistled for Jeno to sit beside her.

"Hi, I'd like to send a message." Grace looked down at the boy, he couldn't be more than thirteen, a squire. He'd probably been very excited about the chance to go out of Syliras before he was even a knight. But the boy was amused at her words, thinking her an idiot.

"Sorry Miss, we aren't a dovecot." The amusement shone in his voice and clearly this young man was thinking above her, an aura of arrogance that the Knights would train out of him soon enough. Unfortunately that was a comman trait Grace came across and she rolled her eyes.

"Don't you think I know that? Obviously I need to see a knight. Now you can frisk me or do whatever you need for security, but are you going to invite me in? Don't the knights teach the squires more manners?" Grace snapped at him, the boy turned bright red at the mention of him frisking her.

"You got any weapon's on you ma'am?" An older man appeared, placing a hand on the squire's shoulders. Grace pulled her dagger out of her scabbard, holding it in an open palm for the Knight to see.

"I'm just looking to get a message to my brother."

"You can come on in." The knight stepped aside, pulling the squire with him and Grace walked past, slipping her dagger back into her scabbard. "What's your brother's name? I will check to see if he is stationed here."

"Aldern Lechar." Grace said, as they entered the courtyard. A familiar flash of purple hair caught Grace's attention. She didn't hang out with her brother often, but when she had, there was always another knight or two around and she had gotten to know them. One Knight in particular that Grace had become better friends with was a short girl by the name of Alevadra. Grace watched the back of the woman's head, almost sure that it was Ale as she half listened to the knight who spoke to her.

I'm going to have to ask you to wait here ma'am, I will have another knight stay with you will I go check the records . . . " Grace stopped paying attention, apparently there was a procedure for visitors, but it wasn't something Grace thought was important as she stared the purple head down, willing the woman to turn around. When she did, her eyes landed on Grace and Grace's hand shot up in a wave, her teeth flashing between her lips. As she waved, it didn't occur to Grace that Ale probably thought Grace was still in Syliras and so suddenly seeing her here so far from home could be a somewhat unbelievable scenario.

PC/NPC Talking -- Common -- Thoughts
Last edited by Grace Lechar on May 15th, 2014, 12:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
Grace Lechar
Step 1: Mount the horse. Step 2: Stay on ...

Words: 79585
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2014, 11:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alevadra Druva on March 31st, 2014, 1:11 pm

ImageImageImage

It was warm; the sun was pleasant against her neck and shoulders as the woman hefted bundles of wood onto the log pile. Another knight and his squire had come a day or so prior, the company was nice and having a squire around was helpful for getting some of the various tasks done. The elder knight that had arrived was more than handy with a hammer and had already repaired a few issues with the outpost itself.

The squire was still young, and had a bit too much of the pomp left in him. Ale could tell that his patron knight would soon wipe that out of him and make him a proper squire—and eventually knight. Till that happened, however, Ale had to resist the urge to smack him upside the head. The youngster had been set to watch the road after he’d mucked out the stables and cleaned out the hearth. So he was occupied watching the road rather than getting in the way.

The woman heard the little one talking but ignored it for the time being, instead moving the final bundles of wood onto the neatly stacked pile. Sweat clung to her brow as she dropped the final bunch, letting out a sigh she wiped the moisture on the back of her hand, flinging it off with a quick snap of the wrist. Brown eyes moved, looking from the wood over to where the boy had been. His patron was there now, hand upon his shoulder and talking to someone just out of Ale’s view.

Ah, they could handle it! Ale moved from the wood pile, resting the axe that had been used to lean against the cabin while she dusted off her tunic, removing the little bits of bark and wood that clung to the linen. Ale heard her name from the elder male knight and her eyes moved to look at him. “Mind watching her for a moment?” Where was she? Sunbreth? They didn’t need to watch people who came up to the cabin? By Tyveth, Ale had people come right up to her door and walk in asking for some food, or water, or a place to sleep. A strange look was given to him as she slowly responded. “Sure…” She said, dragging out the vowel.

It wasn’t Ale’s place to question a knight who was above her, especially in front of his squire. So Ale would bite her tongue and talk to the man about it later. It wasn’t like they were a prison. Her attention moved now to the woman she was supposed to be watching. And that was when Ale seriously questioned reality. Brown eyes landed upon a very familiar form and her muscles froze, head turning as her eyes looked around for some purple cow to start walking down the road proving that it was a dream.

Once no purple cow came to her aide, Ale looked back to Grace with a cocked head. “Grace Lechar?” Ale asked in near disbelief, walking up to the woman with arms crossed over the Druva clan crest that was stitched upon her breast. “Last I checked, I was just outside Riverfall, and you,” She gestured to Grace. “Were in Syliras with your brother.” A smirk crossed her lips as she stopped a few paces from Grace. “Well, either I am considerably more confused about my location than I initially thought, or you have ventured to Riverfall! Either way,” Ale was not known for being a very physical person, she would use kind words but hugs and the like were more than unusual for her. A hand, however, came out and patted on Grace’s shoulder—which was about as close to a hug as Ale ever gave.

“It’s good to see you! What brings you to this little slice of bliss?” She asked, gesturing to the outpost and stable.
Who needs love when you have honor and dignity?
Alevadra Druva
Syliran Knight

Words: 151878
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2010, 11:39 pm
Character sheet

Postby Grace Lechar on April 10th, 2014, 9:31 pm

"Well, either I am considerably more confused about my location than I initially thought, or you have ventured to Riverfall! Either way," Ale patted her shoulder in a familiar friendly gesture. Grace grinned at her, she was one of last people Grace expected to see. She really hadn't expected to see anyone here. Except, maybe, her brother. It was nice to see an old friend, Grace had been working on her socialization in Riverfall, but she wasn't used to making new friends when she had her lifelong friends. Honestly Ale was more her brother's friend, after all they worked together, but Grace had hung out with her enough to get to know her and appreciate her company. Grace flipped her bangs, tucking her hair behind her ear and looking around the station. It was nice, she was surprised that it was so cozy and non-threatening. She had always seen the Syliran knights policing the city and just assumed that all their outposts would be like their headquarters. Grace obviously hadn't gained much knowledge of her home's protectors while she was there. Ale was talking again and Grace turned her attention back to the knight. “It’s good to see you! What brings you to this little slice of bliss?”

"I-I didn't 'xpect to see ya here?" The words spilled from Grace's mouth, forming more of a question than an observation. She was a bit taken aback, but in reality she had less of a reason to be there. A knight at a knight's outpost wasn't unusual. A nettle district girl that was too far from home, on the other hand, was somewhat odd. She really should have said goodbye to people before she left, but she had made the decision in one night, catching the last ship to Riverfall before spring. She really didn't have time to tell anyone. It was a poor move on her part, and she tried to imagine how it would hurt her friends. She didn't think about her parents, they were probably happy she had disappeared. "I wanted to see if my brother was here. He said he would be coming out here in either Spring or Fall." Grace shrugged knowing she would have to give the real reason for being halfway across Mizahar. She tried to say it quickly, realizing she probably sounded a bit like a brat.

"Ah, I'm here 'cause the parents were giving me a hard time -- I just wanted a change of scenery." She didn't mention that she practically ran away from marriage, Ale probably knew the tanner's son. The poor boy didn't know what happened to her either, making Grace feel worse. It was nice to see her old friend but it brought back a guilty flood of memories and regrets that Grace had had a relatively easy time putting out of her mind as she settled into her new life. It worried her that she could forget her entire life so easily, but the reminder was nice, she hadn't completely given up her life. News had most likely spread that her parents were trying to arrange a marriage for her. But maybe it hadn't, it wasn't the focus of the conversation anyway. "I should be askin' why you're here/"

"How've'ya been? Would anyone mind if I hung out with ya for abit?" Grace shifted her weight to her left foot, wanting to stay and talk with her old friend.

Last edited by Grace Lechar on May 15th, 2014, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grace Lechar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Alevadra Druva on May 14th, 2014, 2:21 pm

ImageImageImage

“The knights go everywhere, Grace. I’d be just as likely to be here as your brother would be. Luck of the draw, really. The chap that usually is here had to return to Syliras for some family incidents,” Ale made a face, likely there was a death in the family of the fellow that had to leave and it was anything but a happy thing for all parties involved. “I’ll only be here for a short while, not sure where I’ll be going after this posting… Perhaps back to Syliras, perhaps on some grand adventure. So long as it isn’t Avanthal—I’ll be happy.”

Ale nodded to Grace’s explanation of her visit. The woman crossed her arms over her chest and raised a brow, nodding slightly. “Mmhmm…” She nodded her head off towards the road. “Lets walk,” The knight waved to get the attention of the visiting knight and his squire. “I’ll be back, don’t let him break anything.” The woman teased, the squire blushed and the other knight smirked slightly and waved the younger knight off.

The woman began to walk, uncrossing her arms and rest one over Grace’s shoulders. “You left Sylira’s because of teenage angst?” Ale joked, looked sideways at Grace as she moved her towards the road—talking in peace was better than having curious ears about. “Well, I suppose this is a good choice for a change… Just… Don’t go all Nakivak, right? You’re too young to be popping out Akalaks. Your brother would kill us both.” She smiled and let her arm fall from the younger woman’s shoulders to rest at her side.

“I’ve been pretty good. Realized I hate the boat ride from Sylira’s to Riverfall… Going to take the road wherever I go next so long as it’s a possibility.” She touched her stomach briefly, as if to indicate her low sea-faring constitution. “So, what have you been doing out here? Where have you been staying? You holding up on your own alright?” It was like Ale was her older sister for a moment, doting over her.

The dirt road crunched under their feet as Ale walked slowly. She had no intent of going far from the station, just far enough away to have a private conversation and catch up with her old friend. “Your brother knows you’re out here, right?” Ale asked with a raised brow.
Who needs love when you have honor and dignity?
Alevadra Druva
Syliran Knight

Words: 151878
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2010, 11:39 pm
Character sheet

Postby Grace Lechar on May 25th, 2014, 12:46 am

“You left Sylira’s because of teenage angst?” Grace was about to object, defend her pride, but instead the corner's of her lips pulled up and she shrugged. It was a pretty accurate description. Not exactly what Grace would have said, but she knew that Ale wasn't meaning to make her feel bad. She did miss everyone back in Syliras, but she didn't think she would find herself back there ... not anytime soon. " ... Just ... Don’t go all Nakivak, right? You’re too young to be popping out Akalaks. Your brother would kill us both.”

"Oh Gods, no!" Grace blushed, letting out a breathy giggle as the two walked a bit farther. She listened to the woman beside her, a very familiar feeling. All Grace has done in Riverfall was meet people, to have the roots of an old friendship was something Grace missed terribly. Ale swung her arm around Grace's neck, oddly comfortable considering she was taller than the woman. Ale made a comment on travelling by road versus the sea, which Grace had to agree on. "Honestly, it sucked. I don't know why I ever wanted to be a sailor." As Ale went on the question her on her accommodations, Grace was almost eager to show off how well she had fared. She hadn't done it on her own, but she had settled in rather quickly, an accomplishment for a girl who had never moved. "Well, one a' the first things I foun' was a' Sanctuary. The Sanctuary. It's wondaful, like a bitty-city just outside a' Riverfall. Everyone's real nice there 'n I getta work with the horses twenty-four-seven, that's gotta be the best thing. Man, tha woman n'charge, Kavala, pays me so much, its incredible. But hey, I ain't complainin'."

It was with Ale's next words that Grace's comfortable feeling flew out the door. Faster than she could blink. Grace swallowed once, pausing before giving a simple answer. "Aldern doesn't know." Grace turned her head, peering out from under her bangs at Ale to gage her reaction. She hadn't told anyone. Especially not her brother, he would have stopped her. The man had always been more responsible than her, doing what their parents said with no complaint. It had always been a source of envy for the blue eyed girl, watching her brother fulfill his life as an honorable knight with his kid. The only hard time that Grace had ever seen her brother breakdown in was when his wife died. "Anyhow," Grace tore herself away from her thoughts, leveling her eyes with Ale's again. She opened her mouth searching desperately for something to change the topic. The reminder of becoming a Kuvan flew into her mind. This question was also likely to catch Ale off guard, Grace had never shown interest in weapons. Ever."One of the interesting things 'bout Riverfall, 'sides all them freakishly tall men. You gotta know how'ta use a weapon? How odd? They got themselves a military system, but 'ey still want us to do the defendin'. I was wonderin' since yar here, you could help me out with my dagger? I practiced with 'em some on the boat ..."

Grace Lechar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes