Nonsensical Words & Thoughts

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Lani Stranger on June 1st, 2014, 2:34 am

I didn't put a tag on it because I don't know which account to claim it with ...

So anyway, I thought its around time you should get to know me. Well, actually this is more a place for me to dump organized thoughts that don't necessary revolve around my PCs. But hey, let's stick with the idea of making this an introduction. I'm Katt (not Katt Williams), I'm currently in America and I am the crazy brain behind
Lani Stranger, Sezkero, Jed Radacke and Neologism. I'd like to say that I will post in here with all of my accounts, but I love continuity too much to allow myself to do that. When I'm not hopelessly staring at a computer screen writing and unwriting posts (and then ultimately rewriting them because they have to be good enough at some point), I'm with my animals. I like to call my house the suburban barn, just a little fact for you guys. I'm also one of those weird exercise freaks, which isn't generally a good thing. Sometimes, for no apparent reason at all, my joints, bones, muscles and nerves just give up and blink out. It's funny because I don't play too harsh of a sport, nor do I work out like the Hulk. During these immobile times, I let my brain loose. From this you get my writing and never-ending plans.

Enough about me, you can hear more about my crazy life if you are curious. I just want to let you know about what you will generally see in here. Actually, I honestly don't think I can give you solid categories, but I can try to promise you no rants. I tend to stick my head in the trees and smile at everything. I don't like bad news and I don't like to give bad news. I'd rather make you smile or even giggle, rather than the opposite. So I'm not going to rant about issues with my life, at least I hope not. You guys don't want that. What you will get is a lot of questions, what does this mean? It means that if you want to post, please do. I love to hear other people's opinions, especially those that differ from mine, and its just interesting to ramble on about something with a random stranger that is miles and miles away. Why not?

So enjoy my scrapbook. I do.
Last edited by Lani Stranger on August 28th, 2014, 9:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Words: 697231
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Radiant on June 1st, 2014, 2:41 am

I claim first question! (Before Eldritch does)

Katt, what made you pick Lani to be a Mixed rather than a Full-blood Chaktawe?
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Eldritch on June 1st, 2014, 2:46 am

Gah! Curse you, Radi! You are too fast. T.T

Anyway, following up that question... why the name Neologism?
Eldritch
Do you feel your sanity begin to fray?

Words: 237808
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Lani Stranger on June 1st, 2014, 3:03 am

Wow, you guys make me feel so special! That was quick :D

Radi: I really liked the idea of Lani not really belonging anywhere. I also tried to pick a race that you couldn't see right away. From her eyes you can tell she has Chaktawe in her, but there isn't much of anything to show her Eypharian heritage. Its a fun question that will likely never be answered unless an Aurist, someone with Lykata or anything else that can see her bloodlines becomes interested. It mostly just plays with her concept of never having answers and always needing to move on.

Eldy: I was actually going to just be Nonsense, but I made my account in psychology class (I should pay attention in class, I know), and my teacher briefly went over it for vocab on the final exam. I had also been funneling name ideas through my sister for a week, she told me to do something with the fact that I am always making up phrases and neologism just seemed to fit.
Last edited by Lani Stranger on June 5th, 2014, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Lani Stranger on June 3rd, 2014, 5:28 am

So I need to tell you about a funny contradiction in my life. First, let me start off with a compliment to about 80% of Mizahar. You are amazing writers. Truly, a lot of you are perfect writers in my book. Now I know there are the few people who write like absolute crap and I can't really say anything about them. Most of them advance during their time on here, and the rest usually leave. But its pretty safe to assume that if you are on Mizahar, you are one of the better writers. I've been complimented on my writing, and naturally I criticize myself. A fair amount of posts go down the drain on my bad days, but I don't believe I am a complete failure at writing.

This is were I find it a bit funny. I've failed English class twice. Now you are probably thinking I failed expository writing or maybe Shakespeare? No I passed those with flying colors. I failed creative writing. How do you fail creative writing? Well, you are not the right type of creative. The school system thinks creative writing is implausible events and people flying around on hover boards. I don't write like that. I write fiction, yes, but it is realistic in the sense that my characters behave as a normal human would. *shrugs*

No, I'm not sure what the point of this post is, other than to confuse myself. I've received three compliments on my writing and yet I've failed creative writing twice. For someone who is working on graduating high school early and has already started college credits, this is a major set back. Maybe its the school system, I don't know. But it doesn't explain why I still have horrible grammar, I did pass third grade English. *shrugs again*

Does anyone else find issues in writing outside of Mizahar? You know you are good enough for people to read your writing, but you can't seem to nail it anywhere else? What is up with that?
Last edited by Lani Stranger on June 5th, 2014, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Roscoe on June 4th, 2014, 4:54 am

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Granted, it's been about 4 years since I graduated high school, but I had a similar experience back in the day. I didn't fail my creative writing class, but it was just terrible. The teacher gave us the steps to take to make up a good story, and guided us through adding twists and stuff, and it was TERRIBLE. Like you said, implausible events and kids on hoverboards. That's like the bread and butter of the lessons from these people. I wasn't even really RP'ing back then and I could recognize that realistic situations and characters were way more enjoyable to read than that crap. I think I ended up with a story about a guy who rode dinosaurs and the teacher thought it was just the bees knees. Sigh
Roscoe
It's not easy being evil

Words: 85779
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2013, 10:28 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Estrellir Konrath on June 4th, 2014, 8:43 am

Yep, I can relate.

Last semester I took a creative writing class at uni and learned creative writing doesn't always mean creative writing. There are different kinds, depending on the people who run the department, the people who teach and, although it's not that obvious at first sight, the students. The kind of creative writing my class focused on was what you'd call literary fiction (although that label doesn't exist in my language). It was so literary that half of the time I didn't quite understand what they were even discussing. I'd read the assigned novels, but still... Some of it was about death, some of it about the nature of reality and communication, some on writing techniques, etc.

I even wrote the lecturer a few emails after the course had ended and he suggested I get into a certain mindset and write about anything, anything at all while letting that mindset color my writing. That was quite interesting, but I still can't imagine myself writing an entire book like that.

The point is don't let yourself be confused by what other people think good writing should look like. If you enjoy what you do, that's enough! If two or three others like your writing, that's more than enough! Writing is about having fun. Not everyone has fun in creative writing class, but that doesn't have to mean anything.

[/rant]
Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Neologism on June 8th, 2014, 1:22 am

xSo I am guessing that it is sort of a common thing to run into problems like this? I don't know, its rather interesting to see how other people think when they go into their writing-mode. Its just different for everyone I guess. That is one nice thing about Miz, most of us hear enjoy the same things (I mean, we are on the same site, are we not? :P) and it's easier to understand others creative processes on here than in the real world.

But the topic of today, hasn't got anything to do with Mizahar. Nor is it a very organized thought. But eh, I'm breaking the pattern and using my Neologism account to post. I just got all these cool box codes and haven't gotten a chance to use them yet ...

But I think I want to touch up on two totally separate things tonight. Studying abroad and reoccurring nightmares.

Now I think you should know that I spent a good chunk of my life in Europe. Actually, now that I think about it, I haven't lived in my home country for nearly as long as I say I have ... Anyhoo, I spent six amazing years in Germany. Now, I only spent two of those years in an actual authentic German environment, but it didn't really take me long at all to fall in love with not only Germany but Europe itself. Maybe it is just the fact that I was there as a child and see it as my childhood home, but I don't know for sure. How this pertains to my studying abroad is that I aim to live in Europe again. I actually want to live in three countries, England (specifically London), (South) Germany and Japan. Japan is sort of tossed in their randomly, I just want to live outside of western culture at one point in my life. Japan just seems like a nice country.

Anyhoo, back to studying abroad. I have this wonderful grandmother who set me up with this wonderful program called "Florida Pre-Paid". Essentially I get my first four years of College/University tutition paid for free at the prices it was at when my grandmother paid for them. So my college education costs about $5,000 right now. I understand how extremely lucky that is given the American prices nowadays. So I'm not going to throw that away, but I do plan to go past four years of college. I'm stuck between sliding down the engineer path or the medical path. My time is running out to decide, a fact that became very clear to me this morning as I took my SATs, and likely bombed them. So when I do go past my Bachelor's degree, I want to go to London to study.

Okay, so I keep getting sidetracked and really I don't think there was a point to all this other than me explaining a few things about myself and then going on to complain about how I don't understand how to get all of this situated. I really have no point to this ... but whatever, its my scrapbook, I shall do as I please.

Sorry to confuse you, I'm done. :D

Ivory Heart Zintila The Constellations The Shinya
Council of Radiance (WIP) Star Gazing Gazette
Neologism
AS of Lhavit, DS of Zeltiva

Words: 621787
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2014, 1:40 pm
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Roscoe on June 8th, 2014, 1:40 am

That's a pretty awesome boxcode. I didn't think much of it until I got to the bottom, then it became awesome. :)

That pre-paid thing is seriously one of the coolest things I have ever heard of. Like, for real. That's awesome. I have never encountered anything like that before- not that I intend to go to college, but still pretty awesome in a time where a basic 4 year education from a decent school puts you in enough debt to follow you for 40 years.

I would love to visit Europe someday. It sounds like such a cool place. I have friends who have moved to/spent years in Scotland, Ireland, Croatia, and Germany and they all are in love with the place. Maybe it's just something about getting outside of your culture. I moved from Louisville(a metro in Kentucky) down to this little rinky-dink country town in Alabama about a month ago and I have absolutely fallen in love with this kind of living. But moving to Europe or Japan is certainly a bigger culture shift. As far as living in a non-western culture, I have a few friends who are missionaries throughout the arab world and they all wouldn't trade the experience for anything. I have pretty strong ties with a seminary in Louisville that trains missionaries for fields around the world and 99% of the people I've met who go to non-western cultures never want to come back. So I think you would probably like spending time in Japan or somewhere like it(I have tons of South Korean friends and they are just the greatest people... Plus, they can cook way better than americans).

Hopefully you'll do well on your SAT's. I would tell you not to stress while you're taking them but unfortunately it's a little late to give advice. :)

And you never got to nightmares, unless I missed it.
Roscoe
It's not easy being evil

Words: 85779
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2013, 10:28 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Lani Stranger on June 8th, 2014, 1:44 am

Oh yeah, Nightmares ... *ponders for a bit*

I'll write them down if you want to hear them ... 0_0
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next