Completed [The Bronze Woods] Stalking Squirrels

Aaron and his father have a leason in stalking.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[The Bronze Woods] Stalking Squirrels

Postby Aaron Greyfeather on March 24th, 2014, 2:54 am

22nd, summer, 507

A young boy, of about 10 years, tries to listens to his father with great intent but his keep eyes darting around the bronze woods with curiousity. His fathers voice kinda fades to the back ground as he watches his father search the ground. He moves a few leaves and twigs and walks a few paces more then repeats the actions clearly looking for something.

"Did you hear me, Aaron?" His father says curtly. He stands before his son his dark hair pulled back into a tail at the nape of his neck, his grey-green eyes looking down at his from his sun darkened, and dirt streaked, face. He is dressed to hunt, his heavy linen pants and shirt, his heavy leather vest and soft soled boots. On his hip hangs a quiver filled with the white fletched arrows that his wife, Aarons' mother, makes. In his left hand a short recurve bow made of bone and wood. He plays with the heavy brass ring on his right thumb, turning it with his middle finger as he waits for an answer.

The young man shakes his head sheepishly bringing his mind back into focus, "No, father."

His father smiles and ruffles the boys hair, "I didn't think so. You ready for our game? Common lets go, and follow me as quietly as you can".

Aaron nods to his father and starts to follow behind him.

He winces as he takes every step behind his nearly silent father. Suddenly his father stop moving and drops down on his heals. He turns to Aaron and signals for him to drop down and quiet.

He gestures first at the ground and the litter of nut shells, "There is one near by," he whispers as he looks around. He then gestures ahead of us about twenty yards at a large grey squirrel rummaging about the base of a massive oak tree. "That is your target," he whispers to the boy. "Your challenge is to get as close to him as you can without spooking him. You ready?"

The boy nods and slowly moves forward trying to remember everything his father taught him about stalking prey, and moving unheard. At first to stood stock still to test the wind so that his approach was down wind and the squirrels sensitive nose would not detect him. Then he started to move first to put him in a good position then moving slowly forward taking half steps with his knees bent low, his boots hitting the ground first at the heal then rolling slowly to the ball. The soft soles of his hunting boots make little sound as he moves foot by slow foot towards his prey. His eyes moving quickly around looking for obsticals and other beasts that might detect him and give him away.

He makes it about half way, his eyes on his target he steps down on a piece of dead fall and the branch crunches sending the squirrel darting up the oak. The boy winces knowing that he was not watching his step and looks back at his father who is chuckling as he walks towards him.

"You did good, boy. But you have got to always be watching your step. For what if it was not a squirrel, but a boar you where stalking?" Arrons' father asks.

"I would be dead." Arron says.

"Well that or running like I taught you." His father says with a grin. "Now lets see if we cant find you another squirrel to stalk."
Aaron Greyfeather

The woods are a dangerious place.
A place where one hunts for prey, or becomes it
Aaron Greyfeather
Adventurer Wanabe

Words: 4430
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 1:43 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

[The Bronze Woods] Stalking Squirrels

Postby Radiant on April 10th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Aaron :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +1 XP
Stealth +1 XP
Hunting +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Hunting: Squirrel

Loots

Notes :
Aaron, this thread is far too short for me to give anything worthwhile. :) I suggest you give at least 3-4 posts each containing 400-500 words for a decent solo. Do keep this in mind for future threads. :)

Enjoy your grades! :D

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)