Early Lessons (Kol) [Tempered Steel Clan]

Two Tempered Steel Children get to know each other...one way or another.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Tinnok on March 26th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Early Lessons
598 A.V. Early Morning

OOC :
So I realize it doesn't say this in the wiki page on them, but I've always RPed it as if the Tempered Steel Clan was outside of Taloba, if you want me to change this let me know.

Syna rose early in Falyndar, and so did it's inhabitants. Before light had even begun to trickle through thick leaves Tempered Steel members rose, stretched and began to go about their activities. Often the clan that inhabited the longhouses a short jaunt from Taloba were small, many of them inhabiting the military barracks more often than their natural home, but there were always enough hands to do what work was to be done.

Scouts constantly patrolled clan borders, hunters left early to catch game before the light betrayed them, and others set up cooking fires for the morning meal, ground grains to make into meals, flatbreads, and the like.

Tinnok woke with a rough shake from one of her sisters, and rose stifling a yawn. Her duties were almost always the same every morning. She would grab up two wooden buckets hung between a thick corded bamboo pole, walk to the nearby stream that eventually flowed into the Kandukta basin, fill her buckets, then return, empty them into cooking pots and repeat the banal process until someone told her to stop.

It was lighter than dark, but not enough to see where she was going well when the half breed first grabbed up her pole and slung it over her shoulders, the comfortable soreness setting in. Despite this she knew the way like the back of her hand, and so her stick like form twisted and ducked to avoid most all of the branches, tree trunks and vines that would bar her way. She found the stream when her feet stepped in it, the cold water helping wake up her senses a little more. She crouched, filling one bucket, then the next, lifting them with a strained grunt back up into place before proceeding at a slower pace back to camp.

It was heavy hard work for someone as slight as she was, but the abomination preferred it to sitting around with the other children doing other tasks. This way there was no one to look and balk at her.

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Words: 878542
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kol on March 26th, 2014, 4:38 pm

"Get out of my sight. Go!"

Kol was being scolded by his mother, awoken by her fury. She stormed around, muttering under her breath as she began her work for the day, a toddler on her hip. The broad woman was tall, hair long and tied up into an intricate knot, bones and beads tinkling together as she scowled. His mother handed off the baby to eldest of Kol's sisters and continued her discipline, heavy footsteps rushing towards him, "You will work or I'll feed you to the tigers!" Her voice was already fading as the young boy scurried out the door and into the early morn. It was best to leave before she decided he needed a fresh red mark to match his laziness.

He groaned, rubbing his eyes. His mother wouldn't throw him to cats. She was strict and wasn't afraid to raise a hand, but that was just absurd. He huffed, knowing exactly whey he was in trouble. The dark haired youth had not cleaned up after dinner and fat flies had flocked to the remains. His mother had been furious. When she gave an order to her children, she expected it to be followed. He had just been so tired.

The disgruntled youth took a deep inhale into tiny lungs, his lanky form looking out of place in clothes that were too big for him, wrinkled and stained with grass markings. The outfit was clean otherwise, but Kol was growing faster than most of his peers and his mother had to do what she could.

Her words played vaguely in the back of his mind as he gathered the disgusting remnant of the night before and went to handle what he could. He juggled stacks of dirty bowls, and rags, having to stop after dropping a few when a fly would buzz too close to his eyes or tickle his ear.

"He won't grow tall. Men never really do." Kol was thin, more skin and bones than Myrian muscle. His face had also emptied, a sign his mother declared would mean he would be entering adolescence soon. Great.

Kol did not reach the stream with much grace. His foot caught on vines and stray twigs left light scratches on his arms as he pushed further. He liked the jungle, he did, he just had yet to grow graceful in his body and almost as if the Gods were teasing him, just as the stream came into view, he tripped, sending wooden bowls and flies scattering.

"Kotakbil!" The curse was aimed at himself, and he grumbled it again as he sat up, brushing dirt from his knees. His whip had grown tangled and one of the shards had cut open his calf. The wound was not deep, just inconvenient. Lifting himself up to a crouch, Kol pushed wild hair from his face and looked over, seeing that he was not alone.

He froze momentarily, waiting to see if she would mock him. He kept his guard up, trying to harden his expression as he gathered his mess and prepared to wash away his mistake. He was tempted to snap first so that she might be deterred from taunting him, but he locked his jaw instead.

Today was not his day.
Kol
Player

Words: 105290
Joined roleplay: March 7th, 2014, 12:11 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Tinnok on March 26th, 2014, 7:00 pm

She glanced over her shoulder at the sound of clattering, splashing and curses.

Tinnok herself was wiry. She was already tall for her age and even her gender, just another indicator of the large Dhani blood that coursed through her veins. Her dark hair was wound messily to sit in the back of her neck, a few loose strands already poking out and hanging loosely around her face. From the short distance Kol might not be able to make out the yellow glint of her eyes, nor the gleam of her scales in the low light. She stared at him, expecting exatly the kind of retort and insult that he was also assuming was coming.

So instead both of them stared in silence at one another for a moment before Tinnok grunted with the weight of both sloshing wooden buckets filled with water, then she began making her way back to camp.

She recognized the boy, but wasn't sure from where. Tempered Steel numbers were large enough not to know every person intimately, but she thought she knew all of the children around her own age, at least by their look and voice alone if nothing else.

She moved as fast as her legs could manage back through the woods, gently placing both buckets down and grabbing another two before sliding back into the woods. It was on the way back to the river that she saw the boy again, walking back to camp. Wasting time was not something that would be rewarded, but it couldn't hurt to say a few words...right?

"I'm sorry for being rude..." She started uncertainly. "I didn't want to drop the water."

She shut her mouth immediately after the words were out and hurried past the boy and back into the woods towards the river, because if he didn't know who she was before, now seeing her eyes fully, he would have to have some idea of it.

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kol on April 4th, 2014, 6:26 pm

His expectations weren't met, not that anyone was complaining. In fact, Kol was thrown off guard and his fierce attitude dropped when the girl ran off. His body relaxed and it left him confused (and interested), the lack of his usual glare making him appear much younger than he usually did.

Dirty dishes in his hands, he stared at the direction the girl vanished, before promptly snapping from the distraction and going to work. His mind wandered occasionally, honing in again when a particular spot refused to wash clean. Flies dispersed as he moved his hands, his curiosity washed away with the grim. When he finished, he stacked the bone and wood utensils, balancing them easier than before and he began his way back towards his clan.

The sound of rustling was close and the girl from before came into his vision, walking towards him... No, back towards the river. She paused before him, and opened her mouth, "I'm sorry for being rude. I didn't want to drop the water."

Eyes.

The yellow orbs caught his attention and it was like a deer in headlights. Not so much for the meaning, but for the experience. He had never been this close to someone with eyes so bright. She tried to move out of the way and he sidestepped in front of her, just to look a moment longer, but soon she was gone again, and he was left alone. Kol looked back, watching her retreat, before racing off to return to his mother.

He ran, stumbling, and dropped a knife. Kol left it, too eager to throw down the dishes. With every movement, the injury on his leg burned, but he ignored it as best as he could, making sure to stop any grimace that was on his face as soon as he broke from the jungle. To his delight his mother was in view, skinning a fresh kill and looked up when noticing her son was running at her.

Kol held out the spotless items. She raised her eyebrow and nodded, waving a hand for him to return it to its rightful place. Kol did so and soon his mother was handing him a large pack, "Go collect firewood, make sure it is dry. Fill this, and whatever you can fit in your arms. What happened to your leg?"

"I fell."

She shook her head but sighed. Her anger from earlier was gone, and she gave him a very small smile, "Watch where you fall." At the time, Kol never knew how important this word of advice was. He slung the bag over his shoulders and turned back to the jungle.

He was going to find the girl.

He was more careful in his steps now, approaching the stream once more. This time he called out, "My name is Kol."

He pushed back large leaves, ducking under some vines as he searched for her. He wanted to see her eyes again. In contrast to his, hers were gold. Was she a Dhani? Someone to be against? Or a Myrian? He had questions that only she could tell him the answers to.
Last edited by Kol on April 11th, 2014, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kol
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Tinnok on April 6th, 2014, 10:11 pm

She was desperately hoping that would be the end of it. The boy would be distracted by the endless supply of work that went around the clan longhouses, she would continue lugging water until someone told her to stop and hopefully it'd be a season or two until they ever glanced at each other again, and he'd have forgotten her by then.

She bent at the stream, filling both buckets again and washing ehr arms and legs, the day already hot, humid, and sticky on her flesh. Such was Falyndar, and the half Dhani didn't particularly mind it, while some moaned and complained it took direct sunlight on a scorching day for the Abomination to flinch from Syna's gorgeous and the heat that came with them.

Still the cool water felt nice, and she cupped her hands together and threw it over her hair, feelingt he droplets slide down her scalp, neck and face. She rose, about to put both buckets back in their eternal resting spot between her shoulder blades when that blasted boy came back.

His statement, merely an introduction was innocent enough, but Tinnok knew the drill. First it was My name is Kol, next it was Petch you petching Skurak. Myrians weren't particularly trusting, but she had even more reason not to be so. Regardless, she wouldn't have it be said that she was the one to start the animosity so the girl opened her mouth and replied.

"My name is Tinnok." She paused, glancing around awkwardly, unsure of how to continue, then her mind flickered.

"I know a Kohl, who works in the Tskanna Yards, he's my..." Father wasn't the word. The kind male was the only father figure she had, but that could be misleading. "My friend." She finished lamely, not sure what to do next. She kept her eyes down, but if Kol looked carefully he could see a sheen to her skin that wasn't just the water she had dumped over her head.

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kol on April 11th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Brown eyes with flecks of green scanned the jungle, landing on a the young girl and he felt pride in finding her again, although the emotion was quickly fading and being replaced with realization. Her skin held a shimmer that stood out now that he wasn't staring into her eyes or distracted by his own embarrassments.

He grew quiet. Yellow eyes. She wasn't all Myrian, was she? "Tinnok." he repeated her name, getting a feel for it. It didn't feel like snake tongue. Kol never gave much thought to half breeds before. He had never met one. A bundle of branches littered the ground and he distracted himself, using the work as a delay. He didn't know what to say.

Was he even supposed to talk to her?

The boy thought back, trying to remember if his mother had ever said anything about these type of people. All he could recall was that he was to treat women with respect, and Myri even more so. Kol cleared his throat, decision made, "I have not met him."

He weighed some of the wood in his hands, swinging his pack to his side so he could slip them in the carrier and continued to snatch up branches. He didn't want her to run away again, so he spoke up, "How old are you?"

This day was going to be interesting, and while he was talking more so than usual, Kol didn't have many friends. He got the sense this girl wasn't really interested to get to know him, but he thought he would at least try. What's the worst that could happen?

---
Myrian
Kol
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Tinnok on April 19th, 2014, 2:46 am

oocApologies for the delay :(

She could sense him assessing her, trying to put the pieces that didn't quite fit together. She studied the boy closely, his dark hair and eyes. He wasn't so much to look at, but there was a leanness to him...She remembered her mother saying something about boys who looked awkward when they were young usually being the best looking when they were older...or had that been Reina?

Point of the matter was he was Myrian wholly and truly, she was only partially so. Once he figured that out his interest would turn into something else.

When he said he did not know Kohl, Tinnok shrugged hoping against hope that this was going to be the end of it. She fiddled aimlessly with the ropes that held the buckets, making sure they were tight though she always double checked before lifting them full off the ground.

Then he spoke again, as if sensing her desire to leave and trying to force her back. "I'm 11, how old are you?" Her tone was accusing and sharp, and she regretted sounding so harsh the moment the words left her lips.

"I...I think I remember you, but I haven't seen you very often. You must be Tempered Steel though...right? I mean..." She trailed off now feeling stupid. No he was just collecting sticks for some other clan nearby and decided to wander into their lands, because that made sense.

"We should really get back..." She said imploring the boy to have the sense to release her. He didn't want to go down this road.

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kol on April 25th, 2014, 1:46 pm

Kol could understand her apprehension to talk to him. In fact, he wasn't usually known or labelled as much of a talker himself. He mostly kept quiet, watched, and then acted if necessary. There was not much to say usually. Still, he also had a tendency to hone in when he wanted something. Like a dog on a scent, Kol had found something interesting and he wanted to pursue it. The young boy grabbed as many sticks and dry wood as could find, and hefted them into his arms. His pack was already full. He continued to watch the girl, nodding at the Tempered Steel comment.

"I'm 10. 11 in the Fall."

What are you waiting for?, he thought when she suggested they go back, heading to the village. There were more ways to learn about someone than asking them questions. If she really refused to talk, then he would watch her. Then he would make his judgment. Dhani he did not like. Or, he was not supposed to. He had never actually seen one in person. But mixes? What would Myri say? Would they be a disgrace, or hold enough Myrian blood to be respected? The last question was practically answered by itself.

His mind debated these thoughts, tossing them around as he made his way through the jungle. His eyes travelled upward, to the canopy. Birds of color sat perched in trees, singing their "song". To Kol it was more squawking than anything, but they were pretty to look at. The rich greens, both dark and light were illuminated the sunlight that tried to find the ground down below. He looked around. Had the girl come too? Or did she stay behind so he would not be beside her?

Racism was such a tricky thing.

oocBaby Kol has refused to give me my muse as of late, so I apologize for the delay and brevity of this post. Working out Kol's feelings towards Tinnok is tricky, and I think he knows that as well.

---
Myrian
Kol
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Tinnok on May 4th, 2014, 5:54 pm

oocNo worries, I lost my own muse for a while there too, I'm going to do a little time skip so we don't have this weird anti-social thread that seems to be going nowhere teehee. Let me know if you want me to change anything

Tinnok watched the boy walk back to camp. She couldn't be sure, but he seemed just as unsure of her as she was of him. Most children their age loved to jump to conclusions, then jump to beating her into a pulp hwen they turned out to be right, and she found males absolutely loved to have something to lord over a female more often than not, but it wasn't the case with this one, Kol.

She waited a couple of chimes after the boy made his way back to camp, then heaved up the water buckets and started at her own pace back as well. Just in case he wasn't an arrogant shyke head, she'd rather not ruin his reputation.

---4 bells later---

It was midday and all of Tinnok's chores were done. This is normally the time she would request to visit Kohl in Taloba, hopefully to help out with the great Tskanna he worked with. Krisha would normally find something else for her to do, but rarely did anyone not her direct family mind getting the half breed girl out of their hair for the rest of the day.

She was just about to ask one of the older women when she saw the familiar black patterns on her mother's long tanned legs, announcing her presence in the Tempered Steel lands. Her bony hair was tied tightly against her skull, and dark eyes found Tinnok's golden ones in an instant, her look beckoning just as well as words or fingers.

The half breed stepped forward, lowering her gaze. "Mistress, all my chores are done, and I wanted to request a visit to The Tskanna Training Yards."

"No." Krisha said simply, and Tinnok took a step back. Her gaze fell little in the way of disappointment, it was rare that Krisha ever gave affirmation to her abomination of a daughter.

"Take your bow and go hunt, but no farther than clan limits, another boy is going, you too should learn how to hunt alone for your clan."

Tinnok's eyes widened. Rarely to never did she ever leave the clan lands by herself, especially not with someone the same age as her. Hunting trips were usually alongside older more veteran hunters. She saw her mother's gaze boring into her, and nodded succinctly. "Yes Mistress." Then fled into their families longhouse to grab her bow, quiver, and a couple daggers, trying to figure out if Krisha was showing her a bit of respect, or simply setting her up for failure.

When she came back into the clearing her mother was gone, replaced with the boy from earlier: Kol. Tinnok's eyes widened a moment, but her body relaxed. This hunting trip would teach her what kind of Myrian he was, and she hated being kept in the dark.

"Shall we go then?" She started off with long strides into the forest, eager to get away from the longhouses.

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kol on May 12th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Kol thought he had escaped, somehow finished his chores and had managed to slip under the radar. But nothing went unnoticed by his mother, particularly not her first born. He had gone into his own room at the long house and sat with his legs crossed, a stick in between his legs and a dagger in the other. Hunched over, he held the wood between his fingers, eyebrows furrowing as he tried to whittle the end into a sharp point. It took some effort, the blade catching on the bark, but he pushed, a sliver of shavings falling to the ground. He continued, lost in his work. It would take awhile before he saw any real progress, and more than once had he almost sliced open his finger.

"Making spears, Kol?"

The young boy's eyes shot up, and he jumped, not having heard his mother make her way to the doorway. She crossed her arms, leaning slightly against the frame. In all honesty, he was passing the time. As someone who enjoyed solitude, it seemed like a better use of his time than wrestling with the other children. Not that he hadn't been in a fun scuffle or two in his life.

"Get dressed. And grab your weapons. You should learn to use them properly." She turned sharply on her heel, her footsteps barely a patter against the flooring as she moved down the hallway. Kol only paused for a moment before throwing down his entertainment and getting ready.

Soon, Kol was outside, having been briefed by his mother after his arrival. He was going on a hunting trip. An uncharacteristic grin was plastered on the boy's face, and what had transpired that day was already of little importance to him than what was about to come. Mentally, he was jumping up and down, ready to race off. The idea of bringing home a kill for his family to be proud of... that was all it took to excite him. On the outside, he fluctuate between pacing and standing his ground, trying to hide his impatience.

What am I waiting for?

Kol knew he would be with another, someone to watch his back and vice versa. He was just about to argue with his mother to go on his own when he turned his head and saw the half breed walking towards him. His eyes widened and he looked at his mother who had already spotted the girl and was staring at her with expressionless eyes. She nodded to Kol and her mouth formed a single, silent word, 'Go.'

"Shall we go then?"

Tinnok wasted no time and was already dodging her way through the jungle. Kol followed in pursuit, moving to walk beside her instead of trailing after her like some pet riamm. Once they were out of sight of the longhouses, Kol looked conspiratorially over his shoulder, "Have you hunted before? We should decide on a creature."

He could still remember the look his mother had shot him, and then how her eyes seemed calculating. Kol had no idea what she was thinking, but as he stood next to his new acquaintance, he could only imagine. Kol watched Tinnok, a new set of problems racing through his head.

---
Myrian
Kol
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (1)

Next