Closed [The Valkalah Library] Give And Take (Ysgraam)

Lani and Ysgraam have a philisophical talk

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[The Valkalah Library] Give And Take (Ysgraam)

Postby Grace Lechar on April 10th, 2014, 11:32 pm

43rd of Spring 514AV

The bitter wind nipped at Grace's shoulders as she walked down the University's halls to the library. Jeno trotted beside her, he usually did since her stride was so long. He was cold too, his ears held tight to his head and his tongue was kept in. It was spring, and even if the sun was giving off heat, the wind was stealing it. Finally she reached the door of the library, stopping in front of it. She hoped they didn't kick Jeno out, he was a Deerstalker, but he was a well behaved dog. He wouldn't attack anyone unless they attacked her, in which case, it was fair, was it not? Ah, no one's kicked him out before, he should be fine. Grace told herself, scrubbing the dog's ear who sat patiently beside her. No matter how cold it was, that dog would sit beside her while she ruthlessly refused to let him enter the warm room. Grace stepped into the library, the warm light that radiated from the lanterns was welcoming. She gave a little snivel, the wind had made her sinuses liquid and she hoped it would clear up as she heated up. Jeno was close to her knee, the unfamiliar places always kept him close. He would probably want to explore in a bit or he would find a chair to lay down under and take a nap. She could be here for a long time, and the dog was perfectly content with sleeping during that time.

She had wanted to get over her for the past few days, Kavala's personal library just didn't quite have what she needed. She wanted to learn more about two Gods in particular. Nysel and Eyris. Her parents had deprived her of learning about Gods, saying that Sylir was the only one worth worshipping, if she felt the need to worship at all. Now her hunger for knowledge was digging into her free time. The librarian was an Akalak, naturally, it seemed that the blue men made up well over half of Riverfall. Grace sent him a quick smile, hoping he wouldn't ask to help her with anything, she wanted to find it herself. It occurred to her that he might say something about Jeno, but when he didn't, seeing that the dog didn't intend to bother anyone in the silent library, Grace's shoulders relaxed in relief.

The task proved easy enough when she found a section labeled Religion. Grace's long strides took her too the shelf and she searched the books, which were in alphabetical order for the two Gods she was interested in. "Ah ha." Grace's finger, which had been sliding along the soft spines of the books landed on one labeled Eyris. It was a rather large book, which was somewhat fitting for the Goddess of knowledge. A little farther down she found a few books on Nysel. They all covered different topics and Grace picked up the first. The Dreamlord's Ancient Cult: The Cytali

At the mention of the word cult, Grace slid the book carefully back into place as if it would detonate. Cults were bad news as far as Grace was concerned. But then again that was what her parent's had taught her. Grace shrugged it away, deciding she would dwell on the subject, in case it was bad news. In fact the idea that the God she was curious about had a cult, turned her off to learning about him. It was a childish anyway. Grace thought to herself, not wanting to mess with anything that could be bad. Her parent's close-minded teachings still having quite an effect on the girl.

Grace flipped the book on Eyris over in her hands, deciding she could do with a bit more books. Maybe something on working with foals. It was foaling season and though Grace knew a bit of what to do with the young horses, more knowledge wouldn't hurt. She intended to volunteer to help Kavala out with a lot of things, wanting to learn from the Konti, so it would be good to brush up on some things. Grace strode to the animal section, Jeno tagging along beside her. She found two books on horses and one on dogs. Strolling through the library Grace picked up a few more books. She pulled her miza's out of her pocket, deciding she would copy a few to keep for herself. Splitting the stack, into three, Grace walked up to the librarian. She set two books in front of him. "Could I have these copied? And check these out?" She slid another two in front of him, on a separate pile.

"Most certainly." The Akalak pulled out a registry, listing the book she was renting down "How about that one?" He nodded towards the book on Eyris in her hand.

"M'just gonna read this here, if ya don't mind." Grace switched the book between hands, taking the two she was renting as he handed them to her to sign.

"That's okay. To copy these books it will be __ mizas, you can come pick them up in about twelve days." Grace thanked him, giving him the mizas and walking back into the depths of the library to read her book. Jeno was at her feet again, stepping on her heels. She nudged him with her foot, a bit annoyed with the dogs attachment to her. But she could never really hate the poor thing, she loved him too much. The library was medium sized so Grace found a seating area quickly. Comfortable chairs and a little more light to read by were placed strategically around the small area and Grace said down at one, opening her book to read about this new Goddess.

To the GraderI bought two books. A medium sized book on foal training and a light one on horse diets. I also borrowed a medium one about Akinva Deerstalkers and a light one about meditating. I'll let you decide the prices because I'm not quite sure what they would be.

PC/NPC Talking -- Common -- Thoughts
Grace Lechar
Step 1: Mount the horse. Step 2: Stay on ...

Words: 79585
Joined roleplay: February 23rd, 2014, 11:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ysgraam Halverran on April 16th, 2014, 3:45 am

Where would it be?Hmm... Ysgraam thought to himself as he searched bookshelf after bookshelf for a book on anything relating to the study of society or psychology. He was far, far too timid and afraid to ask the Akalak librarian on where such items might be located. However, it occurred to him that doing so may have been a good choice to begin with, seeing as how this was his first trip to the library. You idiot! You hide from life. You hide from society. You hide from yourself. Your introverted personality will be the death of you. he chastised himself in his thoughts.

His rampant search lead him to a dead end. He knew what he had to do. Gathering the courage to do so, he walked over to the librarian in search of help. Instead of speaking, he simply looked at the current person at the desk, and tapped his head with his index finger, indicating he was seeking knowledge. He then pointed to his heart, indicating he wished to find texts on the inner-workings of a person- one's morals, values, and reasons. The Akalak seemed quite confused, however, when Ysgraam drew a question mark in the air and tapped his head again, the librarian got the hint. Stretching out his arm, the librarian pointed out a section clearly labeled "Psychology". Ysgraam's face turned a shade of red that even the sun paled in comparison to it.

Ysgraam slowly nodded and turned around. You quite literally just made a fool of yourself! Get. Over. Your. Introverted. Tendencies. Ysgraam he thought as he shuffled toward the section he was seeking. In the aisle of books, he found himself surrounded by texts he had only heard of. This excited him so, and he smiled widely, his wrinkles pronouncing themselves as he did. His eyes, paled so by the years of wear on his mind, brightened for just a moment, as he found himself surrounded by a feeling of joy.

He was limited on cash at the moment, however, and he knew that he could not have all the books he wanted transcribed, and this pained him so. The joy he once felt was now overcome by a feeling of anger at himself, and he promptly punched a shelf. "GAHH!" he cried out as a splitting pain went through his middle knuckle, and surged through to his wrist. Control, Ysgraam. Control

The librarian walked over to see what the commotion was, and Ysgraam simply nodded and waved with a false smile. The librarian turned to go back to his post behind the desk.Way to get outta' that one. He was then faced with a difficult choice between books. But, how was he to pick? He pondered on this a moment, and then, after coming to a conclusion that he could never pick, he began to walk out of the section. It was then that he spotted a woman walking in with a rather large (at least, to him) canine companion. He watched her with a friendly demeanor, hoping with everything in him that she would not spot him. Seeing an opportunity to take some notes on another individual to add to his list about the general actions of humans, he decided to do a bit of espionage. People study was a very dangerous thing, in some cases, and he needed to make sure he remained unseen. Nevertheless, he saw which section she went to, and he immediately went to the one over it, making sure to stay out of her sight. He listened intently for any signs of the young woman speaking to herself. After a bit, he heard her exclaim "Ah-ha!", signifying she had found a text she had been looking for. He made a mental note of this, as it was customary for humans to do so upon finding something they yearned for, or, at least, expected. Well, that's one way this subject is like the rest, I suppose he thought.

He listened for a few more minutes, and then there was the sound of a book being slid back into its place. He ran to a new vantage point a few sections away, staying stealthy. He stayed a fair distance away from her, only listening for anything out of key. Nothing changed, and it was all fairly routine human behavior. Realizing this, he retreated back to his section as she was paying the Librarian for her books. He decided she was a normal individual in many ways, and, not fearing her too much decided to approach her when she sat down to read in the reading area, being very cautious of her companion.

"Erm..Um..Err..," he nervously stammered, his eyes cast down to the floor. He always held a woman in the highest respect, and never looked one in the eyes unless granted permission to do so. "M--Miss? Do y-you know of any good..er..Good literature concerning the subject of psychology? I-I-I was..erm..looking for some, and I found a few; however, I wanted the opinion of another so I could get the best out of what I had found."
"Like other souls, we shall seek out the flesh
That we have left, but none of us shall wear it;
It is not right for any man to have
What he himself has cast aside"

-"Divine Comedy" by Dante Alighieri, Canto XIII, lines 103 to 106-
Ysgraam Halverran
Heretic

Words: 12480
Joined roleplay: March 31st, 2014, 5:40 am
Character sheet

Postby Grace Lechar on April 18th, 2014, 11:52 pm

Other than having a gaze that people must not meet, Eyris is perceived as a young and beautiful woman. If a Benshira gazes upon her, she appears Benshira. If a Myrian gazes upon her, that Myrian will swear he or she saw the goddess as Myrian. Eyris takes on some important aspect of whomever she appears too. If a person is a Syliran Knight, the Goddess will almost always appear to be a uniformed knight as well.

Grace let her eyes drift from the page, thinking about what she was reading. She didn't understand some of these examples. Benshira? Myrian? Grace had some reading to do. What were they? The knight example, Grace could understand. So Eyris appeared to be like the person that was seeing her? Grace could understand that, no matter how confusing the rest of the book was. Eyris' book was making Grace's head spin. She had so much interest in other Gods, and yet she couldn't grasp the scenario of it. Her whole life she had been told there was only one God of importance, the rest were worthless and evil. But as Grace read, she couldn't help but disagree with what she had been taught, the struggle to want to believe was killing her.

Before Grace focused back on her book, she noticed a man a little over. He was writing something, and Grace paid little attention to it until he looked up. Immediately Grace's eyes snapped to her book, hoping he hadn't seen her looking at him. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see that the situation was actually the opposite. He was watching her. As one of the few women in this city of men, her immediate reaction was a shiver down her spine. Creep! Her subconscious screamed. Flipping her head as inconspicuously as possible, Grace made her bangs fall in front of her eyes. She needed to cut them soon, but didn't realize the advantage of the hair covering her eyes. If he took too much note on her, he would probably realize that there was no way she could see her book with her hair in front of her eyes, but he wouldn't be able to see her eyes to tell. Taking the chance to strain her eyes up towards him, Grace observed the observer. It wasn't actually creepy what he was doing. It was odd, but not her initial thoughts. He seemed to be watching her simply read. She was prone to facial expression when she was reading, her face was never really clear of emotions. Maybe he was studying something about people. Who knew. But then he straightened out, putting his notebook away. And started heading in her direction!

"M--Miss? Do y-you know of any good..er..Good literature concerning the subject of psychology? I-I-I was..erm..looking for some, and I found a few; however, I wanted the opinion of another so I could get the best out of what I had found." Grace let the book drop to her lap, her finger holding her page. She looked up from what she was pretending to read, dreading him catching her. How weird is it for someone to watch someone watching themselves? Grace was beginning to confuse herself. Clearly the man before her wasn't too keen on brining attention to himself, but Grace took no note of the fact, looking into his eyes. She hadn't seen that many old people in Riverfall. Considering most of the people in Riverfall were blue and lived far longer than was normal, it was of little surprise she didn't find any. Maybe I should stop obsessin' 'bout his age. Grace told herself as her hand reached down the pet Jeno, and automatic reaction for almost every situation she was in. His words were followed by a respective nod, but her curiosity had been lit. Philosophy?

"Ya'ed probably be better off askin' the librarian. Neva been here before now, myself, Sir." Grace let her finger slide out of the book, her page lost in the thick of the paper, she most likely wasn't going to finish it anyway. "Nor can I really give you a worthy opinion. I don't really do Psy-cho-lo-gy." Grace let her tongue roll over the word, unfamiliar in her mouth. She looked up at the man through her bangs, feeling weird for sitting in his presence. She had been raised to respect those who were older and wiser than her, setting the book on the small table beside her, Grace stood, motioning towards the library. "Name's Grace. I'd be more than willin' to help ya find whatever yer lookin' for, Sir. But what exactly are ya lookin' for? What is psy-co-lo-gy?

Grace Lechar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ysgraam Halverran on April 19th, 2014, 3:07 am

For once, a kind word was sent his way, and this made him smile widely. He began to become a bit more comfortable with the situation as a whole. It hit him that there was no need to be afraid, at least, not yet. Not until something gave him a reason to be. His confidence quickly built up, and he began to relax a little. He looked down at his hands quickly and noticed they were trembling a tad. Calm yourself, all is fine. he thought to himself as the woman began to speak.

"Ya'ed probably be better off askin' the librarian. Neva been here before now, myself, Sir," the young woman whom he had asked for said,""Nor can I really give you a worthy opinion. I don't really do Psy-cho-lo-gy." At this, he gave a polite dismissive wave of his hand, as to say "it's okay". The book, he could see, the woman was reading was about a god of some sort, and he assumed she was a religious scholar or something of the like. He made an honest effort to keep an eye on the woman's dog, which she began petting upon his approach. The woman stood, stating, " "Name's Grace. I'd be more than willin' to help ya find whatever yer lookin' for, Sir. But what exactly are ya lookin' for? What is psy-co-lo-gy?" as she did. Ysgraam stepped back a few steps rather fearfully, yet respectfully.

With his confidence regained, his soft tone pronounced itself when he spoke.
"Well, miss, it is quite the subject! A study into the inner-workings of the minds of individuals is essentially the most basic description I can give of it!"

With a little excitement and animation and an intellectual tone, he continued.
"Anything dealing with philosophy or psychology is absolutely wonderful to delve into with the shovel that is your mind! For many years now, I have studied people; simple plebeians, really. My goal is to find out what makes people act as they do, and do so accurately, so that individuals with mental disorders may be easily spotted. You won't believe the homicidal tendencies and mannerisms some people have!"
At this, a revelation occurred- he was rambling on, as was customary when he began speaking. He remembered why he rarely spoke. He simply got too excited. At this, his face turned blood red, and his eyes were immediately cast to the ground again. He retreated within himself.

"I..Erm..I find myself getting carried away here..I.. Erm..I assume you've stood in order to help me look for some books. I..I suppose we should carry on. I apologize for rambling as I did."

He yearned, however, to continue as he was. It had been decades since he had shared his knowledge with another, and the thought of possibly doing so still kept his heart alive with excitement. He tried to not show it, but, he deeply wanted to sit and have a talk with this woman; both because he wished to teach, and because he simply sought to talk with another. She seemed nice to him, and he felt as if he could trust her. He turned around in a melancholic manner, and began to shuffle away, fearing he had annoyed yet another individual he come into contact with.

Ysgraam Halverran
Heretic

Character sheet

Postby Grace Lechar on May 2nd, 2014, 12:48 am

"I ... Erm ... I find myself getting carried away here ... I ... Erm ... I assume you've stood in order to help me look for some books. I ... I suppose we should carry on. I apologize for rambling as I did." Grace suppressed a smile when he said carry on. The man was so proper compared to herself. Her immediate reaction from feeling inferior was to mock him, but she knew that would do her no good. She hadn't really understood half of what he said is his speech, but she didn't want him to stop. It had caught her attention. Maybe it was her recent reading on the Goddess of knowledge that made her want to pretend she was smart, that she was interested in subjects she perceived as useless. If she couldn't use the knowledge for her horses or her everyday life, she didn't see a purpose in it. Maybe I need to change that.Grace set the book down on the end table beside the chair she sat in, trotting to catch up to the man.

"Sir? Can I ask ... why are you studying this stuff? Ain't useful, is it?" Grace slowed her speech, focusing more on her words. She didn't want to feel unintelligent, nor did she want to sound it. She could hear Jeno's padded paws on the carpet behind her. She couldn't hear his labored breath which meant that the dog was watching Ysgraam carefully. Jeno didn't seem to be very fond of men in general, but she hardly though this old man could hurt her. Maybe it was the nerves that radiated off of him like smoke from a wet fire. The deerstalker was bound to be picking up on that, making him wary of the man. "T'just doesn't seem like you could use it. Maybe if you're'a teacher or somethin'?"

Grace turned her head up, the fine print signs that hung across the front of every few bookshelf were helping her. She wasn't exactly a librarian, and she was sure that this man could do just about as good as she could as far as finding his section, but it was an excuse to stay with him for a conversation, and excuse she would take.

Grace Lechar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ysgraam Halverran on May 2nd, 2014, 3:50 am

"Sir? Can I ask ... why are you studying this stuff? Ain't useful, is it?" Grace asked him.

"Well...If I may so continue; the subjects of psychology and philosophy are far, far more important than one would think," he said, partly animating his hands when he talked, "For instance, one can tell by another's actions what the other individual's next action may be! From simple fidgeting may come a murder. Nervous tendencies tend to give such things away." He gave her a kind smile. This woman, he knew, could understand where he was going, or so he hoped. "Judging by your companion there, which I still find myself to be both intimidated and scared by, you know quite a bit about animals, as you have trained him to not attack strangers.The power of this subject... Remarkable. I at one time taught others the ways of the mind... Goodness that was a long time ago, however. It has been ages since I have taught anyone." He found himself lost in thought at this moment. He began to think of all he had learned. This was the most he had talked in years to anyone, and he hoped with every fiber in his being that he would be able to teach Grace something.

"Oh...Oh my...Where are my manners...," he said nervously, filled with shame. You div, you have disrespected her! How dare you!? Have you gone mad?! "My--My name is Ysgraam. Ysgraam Halverran. It is truly my pleasure to be in your presence, m'lady." he said as he remembered his chivalry and got down on one knee before the woman, his hand held out for her to take, his head and eyes cast to the floor. He waited for her to take his hand eagerly. Never had he before felt so knightly. "You..Must forgive me of my ignorance and negligence. It will not happen again, should our paths cross again after this, which, honestly, I hope they do!"

And with that, he grew silent and awaited Grace's next move.

Ysgraam Halverran
Heretic

Character sheet

Postby Grace Lechar on May 23rd, 2014, 10:26 pm

" ... From simple fidgeting may come a murder." Grac'es eyebrows shot up, and quickly drew themselves down. She wasn't one for scholarly pursuits, but she had common sense. Fidgeting did not lead to murder. Knifes and swords, yeah, but not fidgeting. You can't fidget someone to death ... Grace thought to herself, a smug tone in her thoughts. She was about to question the man's sanity when he continued talking. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about but that one sentence had confused her. She stayed quiet, unwilling to interrupt him. But curiosity burned on her tongue. What did he mean? Obviously she had taken his words far too literally. As he explained the basis of philosophy to her, she knew that she was entirely ignorant on the subject.

"Oh...Oh my...Where are my manners...," Before Grace could warn him no to the man was on his knee.

"No'a good idea ... " Grace's dread was overridden by Jeno's excitement. The dog took a leap at the man, His slobbery tongue already finding its way up the man's face. Grace didn't waste a second, a grimace already set on her face. "Ya petchin' mutt!" Her harsh whispers flew out of her mouth but gentle fingers prodded the dog's collar again. It was interesting how much the dog reacted to her touch, used to years of commands from her. In his duty of being a guard dog, the occasions on which he actually needed to attack someone was rather rare. But the dog was very fond of greetings, oblivious to his slobbery nature and his hulking form that was easily the size of a smaller human. Grace sent another whistle down, having the dog sit again. It didn't occur to her that her rude words could offend someone else, or have them perceive her as a bad pet owner. She looked up, her tongue already lost on his name. "I'm sorry ... sir. He usually behaves better than that." A breathe chuckle bubbled from behind her teeth, and she offered a hand to the man, helping him up. "I'm Grace .. Oh, heh, I ready said that?" Blue eyes squinted at the man, trying to sort out the right words to say. She didn't want him to walk away ... not yet. She wanted a conversation with this man, maybe a little insight on what he was going on about. "Oh no, no. You ain't gonna leave just yet, are ya? I wanted ta know what yer talkin'bout? ... How d'ya fidget someone ta death?"

Grace Lechar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes