Solo The Price of Knowledge

Una exchanges Knowledge for Knowledge

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

The Price of Knowledge

Postby Una Tanta on April 18th, 2014, 9:30 am

x
x
12th of Spring
The shrewd old man rested atop his stool in his small study. In silence Una and Val exchanged hungry glances. Each possessed knowledge the other wanted but each was unsure how easily the other would give up their own.

"You wish for tales of Avanthal?" Una queried breaking the ice anxiously.

"Oh yes. Come and take a seat." He offered patting the padded stool at his side. Taking it with a grin the two slipped into easy conversation. Speaking of Avanthal was difficult, having been run out with such viciousness. However, the conversation quickly veered toward scholarly pursuits and away from personal experience assaying Unas discomfort.

Vantha literature was so enormously different from Inartan literature that the chimes and bells passed by quickly, both deeply engrossed in the conversation.

"Though, despite their differences they do have one vital thing in common." Una stated as the conversation began to slide to a close.

"And what do you think that is?" Val queried tilting his wrinkled brow.

"They are both intensely and unnervingly pragmatic." The Charoda laughed. Vals laughter echoed in the small room, joining hers. For the first time since Cys death Una felt like she had met an intellectual equal. Even Jack, despite his intentions didn't match this mans rhetoric or delightful intelligence.

"Well yes. In times like these one only has time to be pragmatic. Excess is something few enjoy and those that do do so at the expense of others basic needs." The man grinned making Una wince inwardly as she reflected on the red leather luxury she had so adored in Avanthal.

"Perhaps..." She replied quietly, turning the conversation away from Avanthal, "So, you obviously speak Vani. What other languages do you speak?"

"I am fluent in Common, Isur, Jamourian, and obviously my native language Nari but I can get by with Tukant, Tawna, Sniber, and Kontinese. What languages do you speak, beyond Vani?" Una recognized few of the languages he spoke of and her face revealed her ignorance blatantly.

"My native language is Char. I speak a faint amount of common when I must but I haven't had the chance in many moons."

"Oh so few? You are missing out on some of the greatest stories m'dear."

"Yes, I know." Una replied forlornly as she thought of all the was beyond her ability.

"Can you write m'dear?"

"Some, I learned from the librarian in Avanthal to write with a utensil but I can write Char very well. However, learning too write in Vani has limited uses, few can read anything I write. I would love to write in common, so that I can translate some of the Avanthalian texts so others may enjoy its magnificence but it is difficult to find a teacher in such things..." She explained her voice taking on a fantastical whimsical tone.

"What do you have to offer a teacher m'dear? You cannot expect one so skilled so give away knowledge and time without recompense."

"Yes, and unfortunately Scholars of that skill are not easily swayed by simple things like coin. I have little knowledge someone of that skill would possess but I can write and speak Char fluently, make seaweed paper, and I have a Frostfawn Hawk."

"A Frostfawn Hawk?"

"Oh yes, they are the largest birds in Avanthal. They are considered nuisances since they hunt the flocks the Vantha guard so carefully. Great white falcons that specialize in catching fish."

"You are willing to give up so precious a creature for knowledge?" He replied almost incredulous.

"Knowledge is always worth more than materialistic possessions." This elicited a broad grin from Val making Una squirm under the attention. He was always doing that when she spoke the words of her mother and she couldn't help but feel he overestimated her own wisdom. These weren't revelations she discovered on her own, but revelations she was taught. If hard work didn't go into a revelation did she have the right to assume the powerful words as her own? She wondered anxiously as the conversation continued.

"Alright, then we may have an exchange. The secret of seaweed paper in exchange for learning to write in common."

Unas eyes widened surprised. It had certainly sounded like he was far more interested in the Frost Hawk.

"I thought you might be interested in my bird, from your words." She questioned as graciously as she could.

"Indeed I was, but as you have reminded me. Knowledge, is far more valuable than a creature." He chortled his eyes laughing as much as his mouth. His expression broke across Una in waves and leaving a smile upon her own face. Perhaps I should have expected he would not trade his knowledge for an offer of something so mere as possessions.

"That is such....such a grande offer. I would be a fool to turn down so luscious a deal as that."

"Well. We have a deal then." He grinned offering a calloused wrinkled hand for her to grip and shake which she did willingly and with glee. "You shall learn the basics of writing common, and when you do I will look forward to reading your translations." He grinned taking her hand in both of his, squeezing gently.
x
x
Last edited by Una Tanta on August 29th, 2014, 9:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Words: 371301
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2013, 2:11 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

The Price of Knowledge

Postby Una Tanta on July 3rd, 2014, 7:09 pm

x
x
"Shall we begin now?" Una inquired hastily, excited to begin what would be a long and arduous process. Val grinned as he moved about gathering ink, quills and parchment. It wasn't often he met a youngster interested in language and books. Inartan children were so focused on warfare, flying and birds they had little time for the spoken word between antics let alone the written word.

"Yes. We can begin now." He chuckled waving Una over to his desk. Dragging her stool across the uneven ground she joined him, shoulder to shoulder craned over a piece of paper. Reaching out she drew the thin quill into her fingers. Its thin length felt uncomfortable compared to the large round quills of Avanthal and she adjusted her fingers along its length several times scowling faintly.

Though she didn't witness it Val was glancing at her through his thick eyebrows watching her fumbling fingers find their grip. Glancing over their nestled shoulders once she had settled into a comfortable position she grinned shyly at the man awaiting instruction with the patience Jack had nurtured within her.

Placing pen on parchment Val began, voice low and slow. "Common is made up of verbs, nouns, pronouns, adverbs, and adjectives just like Vani. Each word begins in its initial form, just like in Vani, but changes as you change the tense and plurality. Vani, as I'm sure you know, is more limited in the sense that there are fewer words since they are subjected to fewer experiences but more diverse in its description of aspects they interact with on a constant basis such as snow, bad weather, wind, etc. Common is less specific, less expansive in each subject but is broader. Encompassing everything one can experience. Does that make sense?"

Una nodded slowly, she understood from learning Char and Vani these sorts of differences. Char was primarily emotive and expansive when one talked about the ocean and ocean life but trying to speak Char when on land she had found it very limiting. Char worked in three dimensions always, every verb and adjective had endings depicting direction something that was of little use in Vani or Common.

"It is the same when we write Common. Vani has several symbols depicting inflection, tense and intensity. Common does not have any of these adjustments. This makes it easier to learn but it is more difficult to communicate emotion or specifics with language."
x
x
Una Tanta
Be The "One Day"

Words: 371301
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2013, 2:11 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)