Flashback Relentless Resolve

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Relentless Resolve

Postby Elias Caldera on May 9th, 2014, 2:28 am

32nd Day of Spring, 506 AV

Continued from Callow Convictions

Imagine your sword as just another part of your arm. Think of the shield the same way." Caiden spoke before he swept his body about, one foot leading as his blade came around, the flat of which connected with Elias's wooden boss. "You yourself, you are the weapon." The warrior's words were punctuated by the grunts of his smaller opponent. Both moved in a unyielding display of ferocity, shield knocked against shield as blades crossed in a desperate effort to taste the flesh of their target. Caiden was, naturally, not going all out, but Elias admitted whatever restraint he was putting on himself was a godsend. "When you join, you're going to learn how to kill, and you're going to learn how to do it well!" Elias was sent back as Caiden sent a kick to his center. "Hesitation breeds mistakes, and you never get more than one of those in a fight." Caiden pushed forward. Sword locked against sword as he struck, Elias only just able to defend himself. The man leaned forward, his head coming to rest between the crossed iron. "And never forget..."

"... mind your fee- ah!"

Elias never even let him finish. He booted the man in the shin and jumped back, a smile from ear to ear plastered on his face. "Your Feet. Got it."

"Ohohoho, you... you're dead." Caiden laughed, rubbing his bruised leg. Elias couldn't help but join in. "Whenever you're done massaging your old bones, grandpa, maybe we can get back to it." The two spent a moment of reprieve barely controlling their laughter. It was probably just how tired they were, or Elias was anyway, but he enjoyed the moment regardless. After a chime however, his uncle's features sagged and went sullen. Elias's followed suit when he took notice.

"You know, you and I, it won't be like this anymore when you join the Stryfe. I won't be your uncle anymore, I'll be your superior. The same goes for your father. When you take up the black, it changes who you are, and who those around you are as well." The boy hesitated, not sure how to respond to the sudden dose of human sincerity his uncle was showing. He thought that had all but dried up in the man the day his mother asked him to prepare her son for the petitioners test. "We won't ever stop being family, uncle Caiden. No matter how much armor or steel that stands between us. You'll just be commander uncle instead of plain ol' uncle uncle is all."

Caiden sniffed derisively, but after a moment shook his bearded face in defeat. "Alright alright, enough sniveling and shyke, we have a lot work left to do." He looked up at the ominous grey clouds taking shape up above. "And not a lot of time left to do it..." Elias could tell the man had not been convinced.
Last edited by Elias Caldera on May 9th, 2014, 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Words: 1255799
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2013, 1:28 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Relentless Resolve

Postby Elias Caldera on May 9th, 2014, 2:29 am

The crash and bang of thunder cut through the hum of the rain. Lightning scattered across the sky as the only illumination the pair found while they squared off amidst the darkness. Wet, cold, and miserable, Elias was on the defensive again. The rain would have been a good mark for a break. Not in Caiden's world apparently, but That was mostly Elias's fault. The old man had originally opted for a parley until the storm passed, but once he had been berated by a thousand or so jokes that involved his old bones, he had finally snapped and suddenly Elias found himself back in the thick of it. No fight at least, not yet anyway. Instead Elias was poised near the atop a formation of boulders that had marked their training ground, his sword and shield in hand as he stood almost perfectly still. Not only were the rocks beneath his feet slick, but the elder man had taken the liberty of padding him down with bundles of cloth on every limb. Soaked as they were, they each made him feel like he weighed a collective ton. Standing was not a problem. Standing still with all the extra weight was a whole other endeavor.

The boy swore he heard his bones creak. His legs were shaking. His feet hurt. His body wanted to crumple into pieces. With time, that just might have happened. So far though, Caiden had yet to pull any other stunt. Yet it was only a matter of time, unless of course the man's plan was just for him to catch pneumonia, then his strategy had probably payed off bells ago. When Elias grew complacent it would be when he struck. Well not this time, Elias was ready.

"Archer!" Caiden's voice boomed through the rain, clear even over the thunder that cried alongside him. "What?" Elias felt the rock as hit hit his chest, and he furrowed his brow. "Uh...Ow?" Now he was supposed to dodge projectiles? On slick rocks? The second stone was larger and thrown with greater precision. If he moved too much he would lose his footing and be sent tumbling down the hill, so instead he hoisted his shield up and blocked the object, sending it far off course. So this is what the padding is for, its not just to weigh me down. Another warning, this time from behind. Elias whipped about, barely keeping himself upright as he felt the stone bounce just an inch away from where his head would have met the stone had he not raised his shield. One more. He moved his shield again and felt the impact buffet harmlessly away.

The stones stopped, and Elias found himself lost in his own anxious anticipation. Where was he? What was he planning next? If this was some ploy to lure him into a false sense of security, it wouldn't work! He was determined to pass this test. Eyes narrowed and alert, Elias kept up his surveillance with an iron will. He became an unwavering sentry sitting atop his perch, his head held high in utter vigilance. Darkness may have fallen, but his dedication was unshakable.

Of course, when Caiden had come back a bell later and asked him why he was still up there, Elias realized the man had left him to go grab a snack from Malfazar's Beer Hut. "Turns out these old bones just needed a pint or two to get them back in action."
Elias Caldera
Playa

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Relentless Resolve

Elias was getting used to these mornings. Sure, waking up so damn early so they could catch the ferry was grating on his nerves. He didn't know why the man insisted on dousing him with freezing cold water each day either. Aside from that he could handle the rest. The stretching, the running. It was all very... bearable after a few days. As soon as Caiden noticed this, it changed. Every once in a while his uncle would device some new and exciting way to try and ruin his day. Today he had the young Caldera run with his weapons in tow. With his slowed pace not only did the laps take longer, but Caiden didn't stop there, and soon Elias realized why he needed those tools. He would often take the opportunity to test the boy's attentiveness. By the half way mark, the old paladin had already struck about five times, darting out of the bushes like a wild animal. He attacked like one too, assaulting Elias before he retreated into the fauna. Really, it all looked rather hilarious, but the price of taking the time to point and laugh was was one the boy remained unwilling to pay. The pain of being caught unprepared... well it just hurt too much to risk it.

"Ambush!" Caiden's body slammed into the boy's from literally out of petching nowhere. Elias had survived the others well enough, but this one saw him on his back, and he was once again slow to stand. He had no time to dally on the floor though. The dulled iron blade of his enemy came down with a reckless abandon and Elias rose his own in defence, the swords meeting for a brief moment as they clashed. The boy kicked at Caiden's shin and used the distraction to roll aside, just quick enough to avoid the edge of a shield. Using his own shield as an aid, Elias hoisted himself off the ground and spun about, his sword following the motion in a wild, furious swing at his uncle.

Iron slammed against wood with a satisfying explosion of splinters. The return was swift as Caiden's blade seared through the air forcing his nephew to respond in kind. His arm almost gave out when the two blades met, but the boy persevered. Another swing, and another and another. Elias grunted at each strike, his weapons involved in a series of parries that kept his body from any immediate harm. The little Ebonstryfe hopeful had learned on day one he couldn't afford to trade blows with his teacher as if they were on even terms. He had to use his small stature and quick feet to his advantage, or he would just be crushed under any sustained assault. "A smart soldier stays a breathing soldier." Caiden had said. He rolled to the side and away from a strike, and stuck out low in return. One last clatter echoed through the lake shore as sword connected with shield. The two kinsman were pitted against each other in a battle of sheer attrition and Elias was the first to fall. Pain shot up his leg and his knee buckled after another attempt to roll away ended in disaster. His body followed and Caiden used the victory to call an end to both his run and the mock conflict.

Elias looked up with a agonized expression and saw his taskmaster breathing heavily for the first time. "You're better now than you were yesterday. Maybe one day, with some practice, you'll be good enough to even fight a worth opponent of your skill. Like a chicken. Maybe even two. I have high hopes for you, Elias, high, high hopes." Elias flung his shoe at the old petcher.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Relentless Resolve

"You've proven you can swing that sword without killing yourself in the process." Caiden said as he stepped forward, twisting his torso around while maneuvering past his ward's guard to put his blade across Elias's wrist. The sword that was supposed to be 'just a part of his arm' clattered against the rocks beneath. He groaned and stifled a scream of frustration. He should have seen that coming! He should have been ready. "But what happens when you no longer have it?" The boy grumbled, distracted from his own mental ravings as he placed his now free hand against his shield and reinforced his grasp on it, ready for the next onslaught. What came mext shocked the boy. With ease Caiden was able to slip inside Elias's guard for a second time. He bashed his shield into the boy's arm and took his last bastion of defense away, leaving him with nothing but his fists and his broken pride.

"What happens when they take from you everything?" The man made no effort to stop. He stepped forward and his sword raised over head. The usual method of defense was useless here, so Elias ducked the blade and dove unceremoniously to his side, uneasy without the comfort of a weapon. "You can't dodge forever!" Next the shield. Caiden came in hard and the Caldera boy responded with swift movement. He hurled himself to the side and wound up on his stomach for what must have been the hundredth time. Not surprisingly, he was used to it by now, but how the slaves hated it when he brought them his laundry at the end of each day. Up on his feet again Elias found himself prepared for once. Instead of a dodge he raised his hand in protest against the incoming sword, his hands clasping around his uncle's wrist for a change of pace.

He wrestled the sword from Caiden's grasp and pulled it free, the motion followed by a swift kick from his own leg to disconnect him from the grapple. A few steps brought him away from immediate harm as the boy adjusted himself, his new sword held firm in small triumph.

"Well" Tristan laughed, clearly amused. "That was fancy, but if you think its saved you..." The man unleashed a terrible roar and charged forward. Eyes narrowed, Elias met his tenacity and brought his sword up and swung it over his head, the blade brought down with the strength of a boy trying his hardest to become a man. The iron dented the wooden board it clashed with and both combatants collided head on. They crumbled into heap of sweat and iron, weapons dropped as they started a grand brawl. Elias, who had wrestled control at the start, was too small and weak to overpower his much larger opponent, instead decided to roll the stunned Caiden onto his back and jammed his arm under the man's neck. The man found his feet as if he were being pestered by nothing but a nat. Elias tried to squeeze, but a giant hand found his head, and soon he was face to face with the ground again.

He writhed in defeat, the air knocked from his lungs. Caiden lowered himself down and grabbed hold of his nephews tattered collar, hauling the small boy up a foot off the ground. "I told you, spunk won't be enough, you have to be better Elias, you have to be desperate. Your instructors won't wait for you to learn. The enemy won't wait for you to learn!" He raised a massive fist and moved to smash it into Elias. He had to think of something, and quick.

He poked his uncle in the eye.

The stryfer let out a shocked howl of pain, falling to one knee and grasping at his face. The distraction gave Elias what he needed to get back in this fight once more. He spun himself free of Caiden's grip on his shirt and grabbed at the last standing leg. He wrenched it out from under its owner, letting gravity do the rest. He let out an animal roar that sounded more like a squealing pig, and launched himself at his fallen foe. He swung wildly, punching and kicking and biting at whatever he could.

By the time Caiden had found his feet in the middle of the barrage, picked Elias up as he still continued to flail, and tossed him into the lake, the young man was convinced today had been his victory.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Relentless Resolve

Postby Elias Caldera on May 9th, 2014, 2:30 am

The prayer to Rhysol that day came and went without incident. There was no training today. No brawling, no sword fighting, no running. Elias made no sound of protest. He was fine with this. When Caiden had asked him to wait before he left however, he was genuinely perplexed. The brawny man returned with a sheet of parchment in one hand and a dagger in the other. The boy remained kneeling, but the quizzical look on his face spoke to his confusion."What is that for?" He asked as his uncle took a seat next to him.

"Its for another prayer I'd like to show you." He answered, not as gruff as usual. Elias had never heard of a ceremony to Rhysol that was at all like this, which in all honesty, might have been a good thing. The priests of the black sun were rumored to do some inconceivable things within the confines of their temple when they thought no one but their god was watching. "If you wanted an excuse to avoid training with me, you could have picked something more fun than praying to Rhysol, uncle."

"This offering is not for the Defiler, Elias." The boy noticed then the names written on the paper; Caiden's, his father Torian's, and his mother's Raina. There was another he did not recognize as well. Vira? Then, perhaps most disturbingly of all, there was his as well. All the names were penned not with the finesse and skill of a master calligrapher, but the untidy and blotchy fingers of a man more prone to a sword in his grip than a quill. The family name of Caldera had been scribbled in large letters in the middle along with a poor attempt at the old family sigil "This is to give thanks and show gratitude. This, I hope, Viratas will see today and bless."

"Viratas?" Elias asked, shifting uncomfortably. Did Rhysol allow worship of other gods? Well of course he had to, but Elias felt doing it within his city must have been at least frowned upon or something. His uncertainty was showing, but Caiden only nodded. "The lord of heritage, of family and blood and the connections it binds." He set the parchment down within a bowl, its edges hovering over the sides. "I did not always spend my entire life within Ravok. When I was much younger I was often called away to places seasons away." Elias waited for him to expand on that, but the old Stryfer only took hold of a candle and set it down next to him. "And on one such excursion, I learned of the blood catcher, and I realized his teachings were something I had always, in a lesser sense, believed in. So in my heart I brought him back home with me... Soon I will give my recommendation and your days as a petitioner will begin in earnest. Before you left, I wanted to share this with you."

Elias beamed in excitement. Then this was it! He was finally going to be part of the Ebonstryfe. "Thank you, uncle." He chirped, barely restraining himself from leaping to his feet and cheering. He had bared through worse, a little worship to a strange god was not something he couldn't handle. "Of course. You are my kin, Elias, just as I am yours. You didn't think I would actually say no, did you? There is nothing stronger than the bond between family, and I have sworn, with everything I am, to do everything I can for mine."

"Well... who wouldn't."

"This isn't just mere words, son, its more than that. Its a dedication that goes beyond promise and love. Can you put your mother and father before your city. Can you put them before even Rhysol?" Elias pondered this. The idea of one coming in conflict with the other seemed downright preposterous. They were all Ravokian, and they all loved the same deity.... but what if something were to happen. What if he did have to choose? The answer seemed simple. Yes, yes he would choose his family over all else. And so he proclaimed as much. Caiden smiled through his beard and clapped the boy on the shoulder as if he had just accomplished something. "Now comes the hard part." He said, drawing out the ceremonial dagger. He made a silly face as he brought the edge across his finger. A teardrop of blood bubbled past the broken skin and sat atop his finger. He touched it to the parchment, leaving a small print of crimson.

He gave the the knife to Elias and the boy gave the old man an incredulous look. He shook his head and after a tick, mimicked his uncle. His own pinprick of blood added in next to Caiden's. They watched the paper burn together and said a thanks to to a god Elias barely understood. If he protected his family though, perhaps he was worth the time. When there was nothing but ash left in the bowl, Caiden gave his nephew a playful push that nearly sent him toppling over. Elias quickly nudged back with a laugh. By the time their shoving match had escalated into a full on wrestling match, they both decided they weren't quiet done with their training just yet.

"I'll get the shields."
Elias Caldera
Playa

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Relentless Resolve

Postby Nemesis on May 21st, 2014, 8:38 pm

Elias Caldera

Knowledge :

Skills

Skill XP
Brawling +1
Endurance +1
Observation +2
Philosophy +1
Rhetoric +1
Running +1
Weapon: Longsword +3
Weapon: Shield +3

Lores

*Ebonstryfe: Changes People
    *Viratas: Protecting Family
    *Weapon: Extension of Arm

Micellaneous :

Injuries
    *None

Loot/Expenses
    *None

Notes

*Another good thread... I want to know more about how Caldera's life turned around, why he isn't in the Ebonstryfe now, why he had to leave Ravok... all the juicy details!

Feel free to PM me with questions, comments, or concerns, if you have any.
Also, remember to either delete your grade request or edit it as 'graded'.
Thank ye!
Nemesis
Fortune and Retribution

Words: 296717
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2014, 8:36 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)