And Miles to Go Before I Sleep (Tazi)

Tazi and Tinnok meet.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Taloba, home to the Myrians, is the thriving core of Falyndar. Inhabited by a fierce and savage tribe where blood sacrifices are normal and a way of life, they are untamed and proud of it. Warlike, and with their numbers growing, the Myrians are set on reclaiming what is rightfully theirs. [Lore]

Postby Tinnok on June 8th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Tinnok was ready dagger in hand, her mind already assessing the possibilities of what her opponent would come at with her next. Of course she was already over thinking the fight, chances were if the woman only healed, and was no good with a dagger, she was probably no good with a spear either…not that Tinnok could insult her form there, she was absolutely pathetic with it still. One leg slid back, and she flipped the dulled dagger in her hand, getting a feel for it’s weight, switching it to her right hand, then back to her left.

When the woman grumbled, Tinnok only cocked her head to the side. “You may have your fang to protect you now, but one day you will be all alone, you will be against a Dhani, or a pack of Akila Hounds, or a wild tiger, what do you plan to do then? To just die and have Dira return you to the cycle?” Tinnok did not understand the woman’s meaning at first. Why would one not want to know how to defend themselves, and of course these skills translated to hunting as well, providing for one’s clan with meat and food, tracking quarry, protecting the borders of Taloba. It was these things Tinnok had learned to try to make up for what she was, and she enjoyed all of them as well, her mark from Caiyha only making it more so.

So her next words, the plain faced honesty in them hit Tinnok like a ton of…she wasn’t quite sure what. She was just wondering…

At first it looked as if the half breed was simply going to walk away from her, tiny puffs of dust kicked up behind her heels as she strode over to the training rack and replaced the dagger, already having two on her hip anyway. Her back was to Tazi for a long moment, part of her mind searching, wondering if this was a trick. So many tricks had been played on the half breed over the decades, so many fake sympathetic remarks, looking to draw her in then snapping right back in her face. Yet she always seemed to fall for them anyways, maybe part of her always having a sliver of hope for the better nature of Myrians. But this woman was not some puffed up fighter, some female looking to be a tiger rider. She barely knew how to hold a weapon and for some reason that made her far different, even from Razkar and Ayatah, her two closest friends
“Yes.” She said simply as she turned around. “And no.”

She contemplated for a moment. “I can show you why I am never alone if you meet me at the entrance to the city in a couple of bells.” Then she strode off out of the training yards, wondering if she’d ever see the woman again.

But two bells later, after getting appropriately harassed by the tigers and their riders as she always did, Tinnok was standing around the corner of the gates, staring out into the thickness of the jungle, arms folded over her chest and yellow eyes thoughtful.

Word Count526

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Words: 878542
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tazi on June 8th, 2014, 9:31 pm

For breaths, Tazi stood there eye Tinnok. She had a point when it came down to the nitty gritty. What would Tazi do when she was forced to come up against something that was out to get her? Something that may have had a mind of hate for Myrians or no mind at all to know any better. Tazi tipped the spear up, lightly placing the butt of the shaft into the dirt as the half-breed walked away. Thankfully, no one had paid them much mind. A healer and a half-breed sparring was not a spar worth watching, and everyone had preoccupied themselves with their own spars and training. The pops of dust behind her feet made Tazi’s heart fall a little with every little cloud. Clearly, even the half-breed seemed to reject her. It was when she spoke again, having gotten rid of the training blade did her heart life.

Maybe it was not the same kind of loneliness that they felt, but it was enough to put them on some common ground. Clearly, this woman had a way of coping, and was willing to share it with this pitiful excuse for a full-blooded Myrian. As she strode off, Tazi pondered the invitation. This woman could wipe the floor with her skin if she wanted, and part of her was concerned whether this was a trap or not. Of course, if she never went to investigate, she would never know. Tazi disarmed herself quickly, dumping the spear onto the table with a loud CLACK before clearing out of the training yard herself.

To occupy herself, she had decided to get her medicine bag, an empty backpack, and her own sharp dagger just in case this turned out badly. Whenever she left the city, she had found it necessary to carry and extra bag if she ever found anything of use. Remedies were made from leaves and berries, which were hard to come by in the city with little children running around and stomping on all the growing plants. The streets were packed with true Myrian, bartering and arguing over the various happenings of the day. Just as she approached the gate, she saw the woman who had invited her walk through.

Shear heard the harassment come from the gate guards from around the corner. If there was one thing that Tazi did not have to deal with, it was outright hate. Only if people knew her did they express their disgust with her choice. Her physical appearance allowed her to blend in. It was easy to suspect that was more difficult for the half-breed with her bright, golden eyes.

With a deep breath, she exited the city, striding up behind the woman. Not wanting to startle her, Tazi found her pace slowly until she was just a few feet behind. “Well, I’m here. I don’t really know what you have in mind, but I am curious what you have to show me.”

-----
Myrian
Tazi
of the Scattered Bones

Words: 123604
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2014, 4:16 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tinnok on June 9th, 2014, 12:48 pm

When Tazi arrived, Tinnok seemed to relax somewhat. “Come we must walk a distance from here first.”She glanced up at the high bone wood walls, skulls sticking off the top and shook her head a little before leading Tazi into the undergrowth beyond the 100 metres the Myrians had carved out of the wilderness so that they could see any approaching enemies or allies. She let Tazi stay relatively in stride with her, not too difficult a task close to the city where there were clearly marked and well traveled paths through the foliage. She strode on Tazi’s left side, then glanced down to her Gnosis mark reflectively. Starting to speak.

“It has been less than a year, but just at the start of my time in the military, Caiyha marked me…here.” She gestured to the Gnosis mark, a strangler fig crawling up her right arm. Upon its boughs were richly green blossoming leaves, sometimes a ripe fig or two visible in the leaves which were covered with birds and monkeys. Some indistinct feline shape lurked at the bottom of the tree, and surrounding the base of the tree grew smaller trees, giant ferns and long bladed grasses.

“My clan, the Tempered Steel, their lands are just a day away from Taloba, due to that…and my blood, I would often wander out in the wilds by myself, and rarely did anyone truly care.” She smirked. “There in the wilds I felt at home. No snake bit me if I wasn’t stupid, no insect big or small bothered me, no plant was anything other than a companion, a friend to talk to. The wilds listen, and tell a story of their own, and once I was marked by my true Mother, I could listen to their tales as well.”She sighed softly as her hand ran over a great root in their way. “This way, even though I am alone…I am never so, and I am at home wherever I may roam in the jungle.” She glanced at Tazi. “I assume medicine and helping people has a similar effect for you?” She could imagine helping animals and plants to her dying breath, but not people…not Myrians, it was nigh unthinkable to the witch really.

As they walked Tinnok lifted up a hand and whistled. A ruby throated tanager, bright and boisterous flew down to land on her shoulder, chittering away happily, its dark eyes catching sight of the bones in Tinnok’s ears and it began to tap tap away on them, seeming to enjoy the sound even as Tinnok winced, the bird ceasing the motion as it hear the witch’s mild pain through the link to one another. As the witch listened to Tazi she explored the bird’s mind, what it had seen and heard for the day, what trouble it had escaped from, looking for a good spot for the two two legged beings to sit still awhile.

Word Count489

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Tazi on June 15th, 2014, 5:49 pm

Tazi followed Tinnok past the gaze of the city guards and into the wild. At first, Tazi had a rather awful suspicion that Tinnok was leading her away to deal with her herself. Many had contemplated offing the healer in efforts to honor Myri and prevent bad blood and weakness from surviving in Taloba. That suspicion was fleeting, however, as Tinnok began to speak. Tazi’s eyes were drawn to the mark when she mentioned it. She knew of Caiyha, goddess of the wild and all that lived in it. Tazi had put her in a category of revered and idolized. Although she never truly affiliated with Caiyha herself, Tazi could see herself praying more to Caiyha than Myri. One day she would find her true god to follow. One day.

Tinnok’s story made Tazi smile. To feel at home in the wild was something she did not understand completely, but she could relate to. Surviving out amongst the wild beasts and plants was a skill, and to have Caiyha’s blessing on top of that would only have made things easier for the half-breed. Her story came to a close, but her calming effect only seemed to grow on Tazi. “Yes, I guess it is somewhat the same,” Tazi whispered.

How was to supposed to explain how she felt complete when she had an injured, broken body in front of her that specifically required her expertise? “It is kind of hard to describe really,” Tazi started, rolling her shoulders to shift the empty pack on her back. “I come from the Scattered Bones, a clan that champions Myri’s claim to war and destruction. My sister is a true Myrian while I walk the path of peace and medicine. My father taught me as much as he could prior to his death, and then my mother tried to break me of this medicinal phase. I was never her favorite. Don’t get me wrong, I have tried to be like everyone else. My blooding ceremony is coming soon, and I am to be marked by Myri, but it just doesn’t feel right. Like I am missing something that is more suited for me?”

Tazi had not realized that she had started rambling, her gaze having refocused to their path in front of them. She allowed her voice to die off. It was weird, opening up to a half-breed that she barely knew, but it felt right. With no one to talk to on a normal basis, Tazi was beginning to realize just how many things she had kept internal, hidden from the world. For a few chimes, silence passed between them. They came upon a small clearing with a dead log in the center of it. It seemed as good of a place as any to sit and talk, and Tazi found herself falling onto the soft ground. Laying on her back, she stared upwards. It was then she realized that she did not actually know her companions name.

“I am Tazi, by the way. Outsider of the Scattered Bones. I am sorry that I just dumped all that on your shoulders. I am sure you didn’t want to hear it.”

-----
Myrian
Tazi
of the Scattered Bones

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tinnok on June 17th, 2014, 12:51 am

Tinnok stroked the head of the tanager still perched upon her shoulder with a single finger, her mind briefly reviewing how supple the little feathers upon its head were as she listened to Tazi speak. The half breed was always so torn when it came to these sorts of things. Upon the one hand she was mistrustful of anyone and everyone around her, yet shown the slightest bit of remorse, respect, sympathy, understanding, and she would open up like an orchid at night to drink in Leth’s rays. She had been punished for such faith, yet rewarded as well, by Caiyha, by her closest friends Ayatah and Razkar and her brother Rarik. Not many would speak to her, treat her as an equal, but those she had found were as precious as gems to her. She wondered if Tazi had friends such as these. Mothers were the worst, and as Tazi spoke of hers Tinnok’s lips turned into a knowing sneer. A daughter that didn’t like violence and one that carried the blood of Dhani were probably two of the worst possibilities a Myrian mother could end up with, and that idea made Tinnok snicker into a half curled fist, causing the tanager to shift nervously.

“Uh, sorry that isn’t….just thinking about my Mother.” She said, hoping Tazi wouldn’t stop talking because of such a rude outburst. “I am Tinnok of the Tempered Steel, but I suspect somehow that I will be an outsider too one day. Once my time in the military is up I am hoping to live in the wilds and no longer make my clan carry the burden of my heritage. My best friend is Ayatah of the Scattered Bones, a half Eypharian, half Myrian.” She smiled, though didn’t assume the two would know each other, as far as she knew Aya kept mainly to herself.

She tapped her leg absentmindedly with a few fingers. “You need to learn to fight if you are to stay here in Taloba.” She said matter of factly. “Myri needs healers just as much as she needs killers, but you will only rise so far in the military, only get so much out of being surrounded by a city of people that are all soldiers as well as people.” She glanced at Tazi. The girl seemed clever if nothing else, she probably had come to this conclusion long ago.

“But perhaps out there, past the jungle with the barbarians, you can find some place. If War is not a City’s queen, perhaps you might have better luck.” She shrugged. “Or the outside world is as bad as everyone suggests and it will be worse than death.” She grinned, and the tanager chattering happily jumped off Tinnok’s shoulder to sail up into the green canopy, disappearing from view.

“I hear that beyond the jungle women wear foolish garments that leave them unable to fight, and there only purpose is to bear infants to men. Can you imagine a more ridiculous thing to do, just popping out one child after another? What does the man do then? Does he not cook or clean the longhouse? Does he not wash clothes?”

Her fingers slid under her legs which were bouncing lightly against the bark of the dead tree. “Have you heard stories of other lands?” Talking about the serious and real was all well and good, but Tinnok had only just met Tazi of the Scattered Bones after all.

Word Count576

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Tazi on June 17th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Tazi had not really noticed the outburst until Tinnok brought it up. Of course, it did not bother her since apparently it was related to their matriarchs. Mother’s were terrible things to have in this society, especially if they did not favor you. Tazi took a deep breath before sighing lightly, listening to Tinnok’s story. Tazi did not understand what it was like to have Dhani blood running through one’s veins, but it probably led to a very unforgiving life. When she brought up a fellow clan member, Tazi took a moment to search her mind. For some reason, a half-breed in the clan did not seem to come up. Of course, she did not really have much time to get to know her Clan, between following her father around and avoiding beatings from her mother. “Can’t say I have heard of her, but she sounds interesting.” Tazi had to prevent herself from asking what an Eypharian was. With little knowledge of the other races, she took a moment to imagine what kind of traits this Myrian would have.

“Yea, you are right. I keep getting told that I need to learn how to fight. Sadly, no one is willing to teach me. Thankfully, my time in the military is almost up. I have served my time, somehow survived, and will seek employment elsewhere that has use of my skills.” Tazi rolled onto her belly, situating herself so she could look at Tinnok just as the bird flew off into the canopy. The whole favored by Caihya was fascinating to Tazi. To have animals and plants at your beck and call when you were alone. It must have been nice.

Tazi chuckled as Tinnok went on about other lands. The idea was absurd, even to Tazi. Having grown up in a culture where women ruled and men worked to keep the peace, anything else seemed barbaric. “That sounds absurd. Even I would itch to do other things. Maybe that kind of living would bring the brute out of me,” Tazi chuckled, smiling. It was an interesting idea, to have to bow before a man. Would that bring out the real Myrian in her?

“I have heard stories of a race of only women,” Tazi started, thinking back to her youth when she ran around the skirts of a foreign healer. “There was this healer that came to the city every now and then when I was young. Her name was Asta, or at least that’s what I called her. She had pale hair and pale skin with eyes the color of water. She said she was a Konti, that her family was all female as were the other families where she came from. She dressed weird and I am not sure she knew how to fight, but she could heal some of the strangest injuries. Aside from the Dhani,” Tazi was careful not to spit the word out. Tinnok had heritage there, and she wanted to maintain peace for now. “…and our race, I don’t know much about life beyond the jungle. I have to admit, I do not even know what an Eypharian is.”

The word sounded strange on her lips. Slowly she pulled herself into a sitting position, pondering something. “This may seem strange Tinnok, but could I request that you show me some things about holding a blade? You are right. I do need to learn. I just need a teacher…” Tazi chewed on her lip thoughtfully before deciding to finish her thought. “…and a friend. I can show you some things about healing if you’d like, in exchange from your lessons.”

-----
Myrian
Tazi
of the Scattered Bones

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tinnok on June 19th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Tinnok listened intently as Tazi spoke of a race of all women. She remembered something Razkar had said to her, a similar legend, but it seemed too strange to be true. Was Myri jealous of them? It seemed like she might be, for wouldn’t that be the optimum course for Myrians if they were only women? But then again if these people were healers, perhaps instead Myri looked down upon them, for using the gift of their heritage only to help others, and not taking power and strength when they had the chance.

“An Eypharian, or what I have learned from Aya, is a tan people that live in the desert where there are few plants and only sand.” She said this as if she didn’t quite believe it, a factual statement for one born and raised in a thick jungle environment. “They can have four or six arms, I think Aya’s father had four. Other than that I am not sure about them, and Aya doesn’t have any extra arms, I have never actually seen one in person.” She grinned, watching for Tazi’s reaction to learn Eypharian’s were beings who had more than two arms. Tinnok always had wondered if one had four arms where the other two were, and if you had 6? How did that even work? She imagined spider like people, and that just seemed silly.

After that her smile disappeared, noticing Tazi was getting serious about something. She watched the Myrian’s face carefully as she asked her for help. Even if you were a healer that was a hard thing to do, it meant admitting that you yourself were lacking in some way, but Tinnok saw this sort of thing as strong. It meant you were strong enough to get better, to learn despite your own failings, and her lips quirked a bit.

“I think that sounds like a fair deal, but…” Her teeth flashed for a tick. “I believe it’s you who owe me a lesson now, I already told you a bit about how to use a dagger.” Her legs folded up under her. If pressed she’d be fine teaching more, but if they had a deal it seemed only fair that she learn a bit about medicine in return. In fact Tinnok was rather excited about the prospect of trading information, she knew very little of medicine of any kind, and wondered if Tazi could also teach her how to care for animals as well as people, since the former would be of more use to the witch.

Word Count426

Last edited by Tinnok on June 25th, 2014, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Tazi on June 19th, 2014, 11:31 pm

Tazi’s mind began to wander the moment that Tinnok began to tell her about the strange people. When she mentioned sand, Tazi shivered. The jungle was protective in her eyes. Having all these plants around them was not only normal, but a necessity. If the jungle was gone, how would the Myrians survive? She would have dwelt on this if not for the mention of extra arms. Tazi could not help but cross one arm to the other side, playing with the idea of having two arms on one side. “No wonder I haven’t really noticed her as being different. Without the extra arms, I am sure she blends in well. I wonder what they use them for…”

Climbing trees surely would have been easier, but why on earth would they need to do that if they didn’t have any trees to climb? Maybe it was to dig tunnels, like various small mammals. Yet, the idea of digging tunnels in sand did not seem to make a whole lot of sense. It sounded dangerous actually. “It is a strange gift, but I do not see how it is useful.”

It was then the mood had changed, and Tazi smiled. Tinnok was up for her radical idea of teaching one another. Pushing herself into a standing position, Tazi did the pat down to make sure everything was accounted for. A dagger and her empty bag were still in place on her hip and back, respectively. All were accounted for. “Of course. A deal is a deal. I didn’t bring anything important with me, so we will have to go find some things to practice with. Which is perfect because I know just where to look for one of these items!”

As Tazi headed off back into the jungle, she continued to speak. “I may not have your skills when it comes to plants and wildlife, but we are taught to look and see things we can use. Sticks can become splits, plants become poultices, and certain vines and large, flat leaves are perfect for makeshift bandages when linens are not available. Water is always necessary. Clean water mind you. Muddy water can complicate things.” This was her element. A dagger in her hands was about as good as a toothpick, but medicine was a real weapon. She could already visualize the many different plants she had seen used by her father and Asta.

Soon the jungle grew dense again and she was careful to keep her eyes to the ground. Just as soon as she spotted the plant, she was crouched down before it, gingerly touching its leaves with the tips of her fingers. “These grow in cooler areas. I find them in the shade of taller trees most times. It is called Vyfox. If you take the flowers and grind them up, they stop the bleeding.” Tazi spoke softly, almost as if she were going to damage the flower with her voice. While she told Tinnok about the flowers, she pinched them off in their clusters. “In a pinch, you can chew them up and then pack them into a large wound to prevent the person from bleeding their life away.”

-----
Myrian
Tazi
of the Scattered Bones

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tinnok on June 25th, 2014, 2:55 am

She was surprised at how quickly Tazi was up and on the move, her own legs sliding out from beneath her and following suit. She saw then what she had seen before. On good days, Eagle and here would train in the Arena of Ancients, where only their skill with a blade and the amount of punishment they could take stood as a test of their worth. When she slid a dagger out of its sheath there, threw a punch or kick, she felt whole, in a similar but different way that sliding into jungle alone would.

Now she saw Tazi slip on this own sort of confidence, but not one gained from the weight of a blade or the companionship of a creature, but from her knowledge.

Tinnok followed closely behind, yet at a respectful distance, and took in the information as it was relayed. She knew the importance of clean water when treating an injury, but the idea of sticks as splints was an obvious piece of advice she had never considered…Leaves in place of cloth as bandages seemed logical as well.

She bent down to examine the plant Tazi spotted, making note that the flowers were small and white, the leaves strangely tiny once she poked one curiously. As if taking its cue from the massive tree it grew beneath, the plant seemed slow and calm in the feelings it passed through to the Witch, and she whispered a small thank you for letting them remove a couple of its flowers. Vyfox, Vyfox, Vyfox. She repeated in her head, hoping the name would stay.

“Vyfox, helps stem bleeding, grinding the flowers you can pack wounds. Flowers grow in cooler places, beneath other trees.”

She repeated this slowly, out loud, hoping Tazi wouldn’t think her too much of a fool. If she had brought her journal with her she would have done a sloppy attempt at drawing the Vyfox as well as noting Tazi’s words. As it was a second hand report would have to go in the thick pages when she returned home.

“There are so many plants in the wilds, they all have their secrets, and I barely no a handful of them. There’s one…” Her body rose and she glanced around, face falling. “Ach, it’s nowhere near here…maybe if we keep going I can show you.”

She took a half pace back, allowing Tazi to continue her beginner’s tutorial to medicine and plants of the wilds.

Word Count411

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Tazi on July 12th, 2014, 11:08 pm

Tazi gave Tinnok the time that she needed. A new feeling bubbled in her chest as Tinnok listened and learned. It was nice, to be able to pass on her ideas and knowledge to someone; someone who was interested in learning the art of medicine. It made her feel important and needed in a different way than the sick needed her. While Tinnok worked the lesson into her memory, Tazi took out an empty bottle from her medicine bag. She placed the bundles of Vyfox into the ceramic bottle before capping it and stowing it away in her hip bag. Acknowledging Tinnok with a nod, she smiled. ”Agree. Well, if you see this plant, please point it out. I would love to know of it.”[/color

They moved further into the jungle. Tazi’s hands were loose at her side, petting long stems of plants when they came into reach. Occasionally she would stop to check their direction. One such stopped brought her to a trunk covered in moss. Plucking a little clump from the tree, she held it out to Tinnok. [color=#FC7e7e]“Moss makes for good collectors of water and blood. I have seen it soaked in medicinal salves and solutions. Healers will place it above the wound prior to bandaging. It gives constant healing properties, as it is in direct contact. My father taught me that. He was a healer before me…”

Her voice trailed off as she thought of her father. Zaso had been the perfect role-model for her. If only sickness hadn’t stolen him away from her. Stuffing the clump of moss into her medicine bag, she continued her way forward, looking for a specific plant she thought Tinnok might get some enjoyment out of. Suddenly, words fell from her lips without really thinking. ”Was your mother or your father a Dhani? Can you turn snake like them?” It took her a few ticks after the sentences fell out of her mouth that embarrassment colored her cheeks. ”Sorry. I was just thinking about my own family. That’s why I asked. Up ahead there should be a collection of firecracker flowers. If you see a string of red and yellow looking bulbs, call it out. There may not be many as the kids may have gotten to most of them, but maybe there are a few late bloomers.”

----
Common - Myrian
Tazi
of the Scattered Bones

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext