A deal gone... Well?[The Fish Market]

Tyr gets swindled... Will Isaac save the day?!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Tyrion Moontide on June 4th, 2014, 4:00 am

5th of Summer, 514 A.V.

"Spices! Fresh Spices from the farthest reaches, only get them here!"

Tyr wandered through the markets, listening to the merchants and hawkers and customers as they argued about prices and quantities and services. His ears were assaulted with constant noise as the voices all tried to climb higher and louder than those next to them. Not only that, but the colors of the markets, the bright fabrics, strange idols, and any number of other things made for a visual riot that was, at times, hard to look at. The smell of spice and incense and food of many persuasions was subtler, but still there as well.

All in all, the young Svefra couldn't quite decide whether he liked the place or not. The bustle of it all was nearly overwhelming, though he should be used to it considering the busy lifestyle of a sailor, but his pod had had times where they all stopped to take in the morning, or to listen to him sing or watch the children play. Here, nothing stopped. There was always activity, someone wandering the streets, drunks in the taverns, merchants with their wares...

That thought, and the slight weight on his shoulder, brought back him to the reason he was here in the marketplace in the first place. When he left his family he had traded some work for a fair supply of salted fish, just in case he had needed it on the journey. In the end he had had plenty left over, and with a decent supply of food and his rather disastrous attempt at making some coin with his singing and fiddling a few days before, he had figured selling of the excess might do him some good.

Such was the reason that he had lugged five pounds of salted fish to market, in hopes of finding a decent merchant. His nose was the first to locate the market he needed. The smell of fish, and the sea in general, wafted to him on the ocean breeze, and he followed it along the streets, doing his best not to bump into anyone as he did so. When he finally pushed his way through the crowds, he found himself faced by a wall of... fish. Everywhere the eye could see, all up and down the docks there were fish markets.

He goggled in wonder for a time, his jaw slacked and an awestruck expression on his face. Never had he seen such a congregation of Laviku's children outside of the oceans depths. The sight was mouthwatering, but also a little sad. So much life now ended, to sit on display here until someone could get the coin to buy them. The singer shook his head to remove such thoughts, he was here to sell fish himself after all, and moved on, diving into the crowds surrounding the various stalls.

He took his time, scouting out individual stalls to see if one might be running short on fish. Despite his inexperience at all this haggling and trading, he knew demand. Eventually he found a stall that was nearly empty, its wares all but sold out for the day, and approached the old man behind it. Dull eyes stared out of a weather-beaten face as he approached, but as the elder caught site of him his eyes light up quick enough and he stood to greet his possible customer," What'll yae be havin' lad? A nice trout? Fresh from the ocean e see. Caught just this mornin!"

Tyr smiled and shook his head, waving the fish away. Instead he gestured to his shoulder at the box perched there," I'm not here to buy friend, I have some extra stock and figured I would sell. A man with a stall would have more luck selling than meself after all." The box made a small thud as he placed it on the counter and opened the lid, gesturing to the fish inside," Fine salted fish from the Moontide pod. Prepared better'n most you'll see round here."

The old mans face, at first skeptical, seemed to light up at the mention of a Svefra pod. After a quick inspection he also seemed to note Tyr's mark, swirling lightly upon his shoulder as it made its slow migration across his body," A Svefra eh? Good fish from the Svefra... For you a fine price eh? Five pounds it looks like here... I'll give you 10 gold for the lot."

Tyr frowned, certain the price was too low. The calculating glint in the mans eyes had him on guard, and he decided to test the waters," Ten gold, surely you're kidding man? Fish this fine would be worth at least 15!" The fisherman's face fell, a stricken look passing over it," Fifteen?! Boy are you trying to break me? I could do no more than twelve for such as this. My final offer sir."

Well... It sounded like a decent price, and the aggrieved look the old man had given him surely meant he had estimated too high, yes?
Tyrion Moontide
Maker of beautiful music

Words: 20350
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2014, 3:19 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Isaac Morley on June 16th, 2014, 4:11 am

Even in the early morning, Zeltiva's market was alive and bustling with activity. Merchants shouted with increasing fever, desperate to be heard above the chorus of their competition in the hopes of attracting customers. Smells of spice and fish were strong on the breeze, with undercurrents of oils and perfumes wafting from the few exotic stands. There was a subtle flow to the crowds as people slipped past each other, twisting and writhing like snakes in the grass. Slow and purposeful.

Isaac had yet to learn this flow, jostling into people as he attempted to push his way through, giving hurried apologies with sheepish smiles every few feet. Still, the market was most certainly his favoured spot. The rush and bustle of the area invigorated him. Elated him. There was just so much to take in, almost an overwhelming amount of information and sensation, jumbling into one big mess of noise.

"Spices! Fresh spices from the farthest reaches, only get them hear!"

"Fish for sale! Caught just this morning!"

"-Fish this fine would be worth at least 15!"

Isaac paused in his travels, turning towards the sound of angry voices. Two men seemed to be arguing over the price of fish. Not a particularly heated argument, by any means, but enough to grab his attention. The younger man, a sailor, seemed particularly unsure of himself. A first time buyer or seller, obviously. His honesty was written clear in his face and body. If the merchant had been just has honest, Isaac might have continued walking, enjoying the market. He stepped closer, a bright smile crossing his features.

"So sorry for the interruption." He spoke, stepping up beside the sailor. He clapped a hand on his shoulder. "No offence good sir, but you look a little out of your depth." The young man gave a glance to the contents of the sailor's goods. "There's about five pounds in here, am I right? Don't answer that, I'm always right." His confidence, as much as it was bravado on his part, had put the merchant off balance. Good. "Now, I realize that fish is quite plentiful in Zeltiva, but the quality of this product is beyond the common fare. This man deserves nothing less than twenty Miza."

The merchant looked shocked for a moment, before his face began to go red, stuttering in his outrage. Isaac didn't allow him to get a word in. "Oh don't start with me. You could hike the price and gain your profit back, easily. Even twenty is cutting you a fairly good deal." Smiling sweetly, he leant forward into the merchant's space. "Now, will you be buying this deal?"

There was a tense pause, the merchant staring down Isaac angrily, both waiting for the other to break. The merchant broke first, grumbling a reluctant agreement. Sitting back, Isaac watched as he went to count out the sailor's money, before turning to said sailor. "I think that went well." He extended out a hand towards the man.

"Isaac Morley. Pleased to meet you."

Isaac Morley
Player

Words: 3139
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 5:15 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Tyrion Moontide on June 27th, 2014, 4:01 pm

"So sorry for the interruption."

At first Tr didn't quite turn around to aknowledge the newcomer to the conversation, trying to keep his eye on the merchant and his reactions instead. But as the other man stepped up to his side and clapped him on his shoulder he glanced at him and gave a slightly appreciative smile. Out of his depth would be a bit of an understatement actually, but it would be a bit more than a little emberassing to admit so. Instead he marveled at the mans automatic assessment of Tyr's goods.

The quick precision of the mans calculations amazed him, and the aggressive negotiation that followed was no less so. Tyr merely stood back and grinned as the fish merchant and this newcomer glared each other down, but he could already tell the outcome. Despite the strangers unimaginably silly hat he seemed to know exactly what it was that he was doing, and when the merchant finally broke down and started to count out the coins Tyr merely shook his head, unsurprised in the least.

"Isaac Morley. Pleased to meet you."

Tyr chuckled darkly, giving the fish merchant a look that would curdle milk ," Tyr Moontide, and the pleasure is all mine lad, without you this... Honest businessman here would have swindled me out of more gold than I care to afford." And a lad he most certainly looked to be. Now that Tyr had time to look him over Isaac looked even younger than himself, quite a surprise for one so astute at the game of haggling. Then again, he may well have been raised to it, unlike Tyr himself. Breaking out of his momentary musings he firmly grasped the other young mans forearm in a sign of friendship and shook.

They were interrupted as the merchant took Tyr's package and put it aside, producing a small pouch of Miza's in its place. The singer quickly scooped it up and opened it, recounting the money... just in case. As he did so he turned back to his new acquaintance and dipped his head in the direction of the street," Would you like to take a walk friend? I need tae buy you a drink as thanks for our help. Its the least I can do."
Tyrion Moontide
Maker of beautiful music

Words: 20350
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2014, 3:19 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets