Closed A Deer in the Fish Market

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

A Deer in the Fish Market

Postby Matthew on June 4th, 2014, 10:33 pm

1st of Summer, 514 AV.

Matthew had started the morning with the newest habit he was trying to build, a brisk and steady jog. He wore a loose white shirt that was open about halfway down the middle and black shorts that were fitted nicely to his toned hips, the outfit instinctively chosen for physical appeal and purposefully chosen for comfort. It allowed his body room to breath as his legs and arms churned to a silent beat, his bare feet taking him through the streets of Zeltiva. A summer wind caressed his form, tossing his bangs into the air, blue eyes glittering as they glanced toward the morning sky. It had been quite awhile since he had been in the harbor city.

Every now and then the Harlot would pause, taking a moment to breathe the crisp ocean air into his aching lungs. When he felt he couldn't run any further, he would then turn to a different sort of work-out. He continued with the same set of exercises that he had been doing for a few days now, a simple repetition of about a dozen sit-ups and a dozen push-ups. A simple work-out that only barely managed to make his muscles ache and then he was back to the jog.

Eventually his route took him to the Fish Market, something that he had stumbled upon the other day. He slowed his pace and changed to a graceful and confident sort of stride, sharp blue eyes glancing through the crowds as he made his way along the docks. People swarmed around him, all jostling the other as they attempted to reach the stall of their choice, obviously on the hunt for some very specific ingredients. Matthew himself had an interest in cooking but absolutely no idea where to start. He wandered a bit aimlessly, studying everything before him, letting the salty spray of the nearby ocean clean off his warm sweaty skin. There were a variety of smells in the air, one in particular stood out. It smells like some sort of fish he wasn't sure he had ever caught a whiff of before, mixed with salt and seaweed. He considering following the smell for a moment but refocused, here for a specific purpose.

The Harlot stepped quietly through the crowd, simple but well-dressed handsome frame standing out a bit. It wasn't as much his outfit as it was the rather wide-eyed blue stare that he was shooting every which way, apparently completely clueless as to most of what was going on around him.

A healthy diet was important for a body that was just now starting to really work out. He needed the correct foods to support his evolving body. But still, even if Matthew was the son of a fisherman... had there always been this many choices when it came to purchasing fish?

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Kyelle Estin on June 4th, 2014, 11:24 pm

Kyelle Estin

1st of Summer, 514 AV.

Kyelle had been living in Zeltiva for five years now, yet every morning when she opened her cottage door the smell of fish still hit her like a brick, and for a moment she would simply stand and get her bearings, her nostrils trying to accustom to the smell. She stepped outside into the sun, the first day of summer showing blue skies for the season to come. The first thing on her to-do list for the day: Visiting the market.

She slipped her unruly hair back into some form of a ponytail as she jogged, her footsteps light against the stone pavement. It was a busy day at the fish market, and she found herself unable to keep up her brisk pace due to the amount of jostling bodies pushing against her. She mumbled several apologies to those she bumped elbows with, before turning around and almost walking straight into a dark-haired man, tall enough that she had to look up at him, though that wasn't much of an accomplishment considering her size. He looked a bit like a deer caught in the headlights, looking at all the fish on offer. "I - Sorry ," she apologised with a wave of the hand and an embarrassed smile.

Her eyes scanned over the different fish varieties, then looked back up at the man. "If you're looking for a meal, I'd suggest salmon. One of my favourites, plus there's lots of options for seasoning and sauces. Think it's supposed to be one of the healthier options too, since there's all those omega 3 things, or whatever." Kyelle didn't generally care how healthy food was, as long as it tasted nice, but she did know that oily fish like salmon were good, since it was something her mum drilled into her before moving to Zeltiva. She had been petrified that the girl would starve, even after the years of cooking the two had practiced together. A small smile formed on Kyelle's lips just thinking back on the memory. She reached out a hand for the stranger to shake. "I'm Kyelle, by the way."
Last edited by Kyelle Estin on June 6th, 2014, 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kyelle Estin
Player

Words: 4581
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2014, 5:24 pm
Character sheet

Postby Matthew on June 5th, 2014, 10:28 pm

Blue eyes swept down to soak her in as he was bumped off balance. He wasn't at all upset by it, expecting nothing less in the sort of crowd that they found themselves currently trapped in. He gave a dismissive shake of his head, soft voice declining her apology. "It is quite alright." His eyes were quick to scan her, an almost analytical stare that was oddly similar to the way the rest of the individuals in the crowd were closely examining cuts of fish. He scrawled an image of her in his mind, noting all the details that he could in the quick second that he took to study her over. She was quite short and thin, appearing rather... frail? No, perhaps petite? He took interest in what seemed to be dark circles under her eyes and also a small smudge of make-up. He thought he noticed freckles as well, which was something he was fairly sure he had only seen on a certain Svefra.

The Harlot was snapped out of his thoughts as she suddenly offered advice, reading the various questions that had been on his mind when he studied the fish. He blinked again, once more caught off balance, though mentally so this time. She was offering advice. How very kind of her. His eyes went back to the fish on display, recalling what salmon looked like from times he had spent fishing with his father long long ago.

Her mention of seasonings and sauces brought a new thought to mind. Sometimes food shouldn't be purchased because of the taste of that single item alone. Sometimes it should be purchased because it went well with another part of the dish, with a particular sauce or a particular season. The health options were something he was only mildly familiar with, prompting him to make a mental note to study up on the subject later.

His hand reached out for hers instinctively, soft fingers curling gently and giving her a firm handshake. His voice was soft and proper, each word carefully pronounced. "I am Matthew. I appreciate your help. I am trying to learn how to cook for myself. Are you knowledgeable about it at all? If you have the time and the will to help guide me a bit, I would be happy to pay you in coin or teaching of some of my own knowledge." A polite smile was given, bright eyes steady on her own as the crowd buzzed around them.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Kyelle Estin on June 6th, 2014, 2:35 pm

Kyelle Estin

A small blush rose to Kyelle's cheeks at the stranger's gaze. His eyes were such a striking blue that she almost found it unnerving, yet still managing to be attractive. His hands were warm when they shook, and without breaking eye contact he spoke. "I am Matthew. I appreciate your help. I am trying to learn how to cook for myself. Are you knowledgeable about it at all? If you have the time and the will to help guide me a bit, I would be happy to pay you in coin or teaching of some of my own knowledge." His words were clearly defined and each one seemed carefully chosen. Kyelle couldn't imagine herself speaking as proper as him.

Kyelle, a teacher? To some, that would have seemed laughable. Whether she had the skills or not, Kyelle didn't have the patience required to teach someone. Still, she found herself returning the smile and nodding her head, not only for the knowledge that the stranger offered to return. "I'd love to help you with your cooking," she replied.

Another stranger brushed past her, and she stepped over to make room for them at the stall. "So," she said, placing one hand on the edge of the stall to prevent herself from falling over in the sea of people. "What would this 'knowledge' entail?" She paused for a minute, her eyes attempting to find the coast, but unable to see anything over the large crowd. "We can discuss that later, of course."
Kyelle Estin
Player

Character sheet

Postby Matthew on June 6th, 2014, 9:48 pm

He didn't notice the fact that she was un-nerved, Matthew being the sort who thought that steady eye contact was an unspoken social respect. It helped him understand, too. It helped him understand other people, people who he so often felt were so very different from him. If he focused, sometimes he could read emotions in their eyes. It was hard, but he was getting better at it. Her hand was shaken firmly and then released, his stare sweeping her from head to toe one last time to verify all the observations that he had made before. She was soon imprinted in his memory, yet another unique face added to his mental library.

His eyes slowly wandered back to the stalls, studying the fish that she had suggested. There were so many different cuts on display. There were fillets of all different shapes and sizes, some with tails and some with heads, some of the fish completely whole. The prices were completely different from stall to stall, though it didn't really seem to throw anyone else in the crowd off. They all moved with intent purpose, obviously aware of something that Matthew wasn't. He bit down on his lower lip for a moment, then returned his gaze to Kyelle. He moved slightly closer, not meaning to invade her personal space in any way, merely getting himself within a range where she would be able to hear his words clearly over the rumble of the surrounding crowd.

"I am knowledgeable in a variety of things. I just recently worked as a prostitute, so I am studied in both socialization and seduction. I know extremely basic hand-to-hand combat techniques, as well as simple dagger fighting techniques. I know a bit of mathematics and intelligence, some acrobatics and exercise routines, and I am also a somewhat decent swimmer. I studied medicine as well. If you are interested in something that I don't know, I would be more than happy to provide myself as a companion to learn with." His voice remained slow and soft, eyes staying steady upon hers. He mentioned his life as a prostitute just as easily as he mentioned the rest of his skills, apparently not seeing anything special about what some would definitely consider a bold sort of profession.

He took a few moments to stretch while she processed what he had offered her, reaching down to touch both hands to each of his knees. He would bend down to touch one knee, bending at the waist until he felt something inside stretch and would then proceed to do it to the very next knee. Matthew felt that flexibility was a core part of beginning his acrobatics training, and had taken to trying to fit in a few basic stretches everywhere that he could.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Kyelle Estin on June 7th, 2014, 10:11 pm

Kyelle Estin

Matthew moved towards her slightly, and Kyelle instinctively moved back. When he started to talk and she found it difficult to hear, she found herself moving back to her original position. ""-a variety of things. I just recently worked as a prostitute, so I am studied in both socialization and seduction." Kyelle's eyes widened and she forced back a chuckle threatening to escape her lips at the nonchalant tone he used. She mentally scolded herself for her immaturity.

"I know extremely basic hand-to-hand combat techniques, as well as simple dagger fighting techniques. I know a bit of mathematics and intelligence, some acrobatics and exercise routines, and I am also a somewhat decent swimmer. I studied medicine as well." She went over the suggestions in her head. They all seemed fairly practical. Kyelle's eyebrows raised slightly at the mention of a swim, even if it didn't seem like the most practical of the bunch. Though, living in Zeltiva, swimming would be useful.

"If you are interested in something that I don't know, I would be more than happy to provide myself as a companion to learn with." Kyelle shook her head lightly. "Swimming. I mean - I think that I'd enjoy some, uhh, swimming lessons, I think." She gave him a smile, then turned to the stall. "So, what ingredients are we looking for?"
Kyelle Estin
Player

Character sheet

Postby Matthew on June 10th, 2014, 6:16 pm

The slight shift in her positioning was noticed, his head tilting to the side just the slightest bit as he realized it. He turned to face the stall as she did, but took a small side-step in her direction, as if just shifting his weight from one foot to the other so that he leaned towards her. It was just a small test to see if she would step to the side again. If she was the sort who valued a certain amount of personal space, he could use this little experiment to determine just how much personal space that was. He respected the concept. Due to his profession, he had long since lost any sort of idea of his own personal space. He no longer had any he supposed.

"Swimming lessons? Alright. I know basics, so I will do what I can to teach you. I know a small little spot right off the coast just outside of town, a perfectly safe and private area. We can go there, either before the cooking or after, it is up to you." He glanced over the ingredients on display and then slowly shrugged his shoulders, words coming carefully as he tried to phrase his goals to the young woman.

"I am looking to learn how to cook myself a healthy diet. I am trying to build lean muscle and I understand a diet usually goes hand in hand with a work-out routine. So, items that are high in protein? I've heard fish is an excellent choice, and I also know Zeltiva is lacking in just about any other type of meat. Other than that though, as long as the meal is healthy and filling, I don't mind. Would you like to come up with the recipe and direct me toward what items I need to purchase, and then you can show me how to make it?" He studied the stalls for a bit longer and then cast a sideways glance at Kyelle, waiting to see if that would be okay with her. If she would rather swim first, he would certainly be fine with that as well. Swimming was part of the exercise routine he had in mind.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Kyelle Estin on June 11th, 2014, 1:00 pm

Kyelle Estin

"I know a small little spot right off the coast just outside of town, a perfectly safe and private area. We can go there, either before the cooking or after, it is up to you." Kyelle smiled to herself at the prospect of swimming along the coast, then turned to Matthew with a nod. "We're already here, so we might as well do the cooking first," she suggested. He seemed to agree with her as he continued to tell her what he was looking for in the meal.

"So, items that are high in protein? I've heard fish is an excellent choice, and I also know Zeltiva is lacking in just about any other type of meat. Other than that though, as long as the meal is healthy and filling, I don't mind." "Protein? Well, I think dairy products are supposed to be good in that aspect... but the fish would probably be enough for a meal today, " Kyelle said. Her eyes scanned the market stalls.

Would you like to come up with the recipe and direct me toward what items I need to purchase, and then you can show me how to make it?" Kyelle nodded her head. "That sounds great. So, if we grilled a salmon fillet we could have that with some vegetables, say potatoes and some greens, make some sort of a salad with it? We could try and get some lemon zest or squeeze some lemon juice over the salmon, if we'd be able to find any." She phrased it as a question, to see if he would be happy with the meal. Her eyes looked over the stalls again. "And some sprinkled cheese could go over the potatoes, if we see any."
Kyelle Estin
Player

Character sheet

Postby Matthew on June 12th, 2014, 7:14 pm

He listened carefully to her instructions and slowly nodded, motioning for her to follow as he took graceful steps through the open marketplace. Certain food items were hard to find in Zeltiva, though he was fairly sure he would be able to track down most of those. The fish was easy, so he would save it for last. Then there was a head of some sort of leafy green vegetable, a small assortment of rather tiny potatoes. He didn't even question her choice of meals, assuming that she was the more knowledgable one and therefor better qualified to decide what it was they were going to eat today. He paced up and down through the various stands, keeping an eye out for everything that she had mentioned. Zeltiva suffered from food shortages and he thought he had heard of one just recently. Sunberth had suffered a season or two ago as well. In the end, he wasn't able to find any sort of cheese or citrus. He did manage to find two small tomatoes, something that could be used in the salad she suggested. Next was the salmon, a piece picked out that was big enough for the both of them. It was seperately wrapped and then wrapped up with the other ingredients, Matthew paying for it all out of his pocket.

After getting what items he could, he motioned for her to follow him. He led her to the World's End Grotto, where he had recently managed to secure a job. After a quick chat with the owner, someone he knew from back when he was a small child, both Kyelle and Matthew were allowed into the bustling kitchen in the back. As long as they kept out of the way of the working employees and cleaned up after themselves, they were usually quite glad to see Matthew attempting to practice his skills.

Provided that Kyelle had indeed followed, Matthew turned to her while he unwrapped the little bundle of food they had purchased. He fetched a small dagger that he had purchased for this task alone, having started to practice dagger fighting on the side. He took what opportunities he could to merely wield the weapon, just getting comfortable with the feel and the weight of it in his hand. He fetched her a knife as well, offering it to her as they turned to their ingredients.

"Alright. How should I cut them, and is there any sort of seasoning I should use? They will let me use basics here, as long as they have plenty in supply." He also went and grabbed two cutting boards for the both of them, already building up a load of dishes to wash later.

Matthew
Malfunctioning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Kyelle Estin on June 14th, 2014, 1:25 am

Kyelle Estin

Kyelle followed Matthew as they wandered through the stalls, occasionally suggesting for him to pick something up. Though some of the less important ingredients had to be scrapped as they were nearly impossible to find, it wasn't long before the pair had enough food for the meal.

She followed Matthew into the World's End Grotto, ingredients in hand, where after a quick discussion with the owner, the two were permitted into the kitchen. Kyelle washed her hands and turned around as Matthew offered her a knife. She gave him a smile in return. He laid out two chopping boards and held a knife in his own hand. "Alright. How should I cut them, and is there any sort of seasoning I should use? They will let me use basics here, as long as they have plenty in supply."

Kyelle rinsed the salmon under the cold water, before placing it on the chopping board in front of her. She moved to the side so that there was enough room for the two of them in front of the board before she began speaking. "We can talk about seasoning after we've cut the salmon. So, to start off, cut from here-" she hovered her finger near the tail. "-Up along the body, so as if you're cutting the fish in half through the head, but stop at the gills." She gestured to the area where the gills were located. "After that, you want to make a cut from this fin, here." Again, her finger hovered over a fin, close to the head of the fish. "You lean down until you feel the bone, then slice until you reach the belly. Flip it over and repeat that on the other side of the fish." She paused her instructions there to make sure that he knew what to do.
Kyelle Estin
Player

Character sheet

Next