The Fall Hunt: Honourable Pursuits [Quest]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

Postby Tundris on September 26th, 2010, 4:40 am

The Fall Hunt: Honourable Pursuits
41st - 65th of Fall 510AV

The Sea of Grass parted its fingers, allowing the team of hunters to pass through silent and unnoticed. Zethar lead the group through the grassland, sniffing the air tellingly and guiding them in a zig zag pattern over the hills and valleys of the earth-scape before them. One might wonder why such a path was taken, for the waving grasses looked soft, inviting and easy to cross in a straight line. But Zethar knew better than to trust the naked eye, knowing the exact placement of the poisonous snakes, insects, other enemies that lurked out of sight. Anger just one of them by stepping on its tail and they would lash out and end the life of that one unfortunate soul. Before their departure from Endrykas, Zethar had looked over each of the members of the Valiant Striders, eyeing them carefully and sniffing out any deceitful intentions they might have. He only campaigned with the best.

When they clambered to the top of the next hill, Zethar raised a bent arm suddenly to signal for them to stop and remain quiet; a Grassland Sign that he had taught them all earlier. A pack of Olidosapux beasts roamed in the valley below them, and they all held their breath as they watched them pound the earth with their heavy steps. The Valiant Striders had been following the pack for nearly three days, camping just outside of their territory as they grazed and often packed up without warning to keep a pace with the great beasts. A jutting rock at the top of the hill served as a place to hide as they observed the behaviour of the Olidosapai.

It was a group of ten; six females, three youngsters and one very large alpha male. The male was easy to spot as he towered above the others with his gigantic horn and burly hide. They hadn’t travelled far but Zethar insisted on waiting to ambush the group. His instincts had been correct because on the second day of tracking and watching the peaceful herd, a fight for dominance erupted between the alpha male and a newly grown adolescent male. Being much tougher and stronger, the original male won and drove the younger one away, establishing his dominance once more and minimizing the pack down to ten from fourteen as a few females followed the second male and created their own herd.

The Valiant Striders stood in utter silence at the command of Zethar, who crouched at the top of the hill for nearly two bells examining the herd and feeling the wind. They were in a compromised position and he chose not to move the hunting party out of not wanting to become detected. The sun began to die down towards the horizon and the wind changed to their benefit, dropping the risk that their scent would be carried down the hill and alert the herd. Zethar looked behind him and nodded to Castin, who turned to the rest of the group further down the hill and communicated to them in Grassland Sign that they were to backtrack a bit and camp for the night.

Tents were pitched in a tight circle facing the fire pit in the middle which was set up complete with a metal rack for cooking and dung fuel bundle out of flame’s reach. Their striders were positioned in between the tents and lastly small Drykas knot work totems were laid out in a perimeter around the campsite to anchor the protective web that Castin made as a precautionary alarm system. It was important that they sleep well in between their hunts and this was more easily accomplished when the web did the work of detecting intruders and dangers.

The barrier of the web, tents and strider bodies created almost a sound proof area. The Valiant Striders were free to chat amongst themselves without whispering so that they could bond with each other. Hunters who knew each other intimately worked together smoothly, it was a was to rely on your fellow kin in the face of unpredictable Sea of Grass.

Uliskis, though friendly and very helpful to the new hunters, was a quiet one and sat on her rump at the entrance of her tent, observing the group contently. If they approached her with questions she was always open to speaking, but only if spoken to first. She was not nearly as extroverted as Zethar, who stood up to address the group once all of them had taken a seat by the fire.

“Tomorrow morning we will infiltrate the group of Olidosapai we saw this evening, so sharpen your swords and arrow heads and if you seek any advice, Castin, Uliskis and myself will be happy to answer your questions. There is plenty of food and water here for you all, please help yourselves.” He gestured to a blanket off to the side of the fire, lined with dried meats, nuts, grains, and a medium sized barrel full of water.

“Our time together thus far has been a bit of a blur since we left Endrykas, the areas we travelled through in the past few days required our complete silence. But we are in somewhat safer land now. At least safe enough to get past the simple introductions we did back in Endrykas. Now is a good opportunity to get to know each other on a deeper level. What drove you all to come out here? Not every Drykas is brave enough to survive these wilds, though those who do are often drawn to the idea of honour, spirit with the earth, and purpose. What is it that you all seek on this journey?” Zethar’s questions were simply to stimulate conversation, and he happily sunk into a cross legged position in between two of the hunters, sending a jovial wink Castin’s way and popping a piece of bread into his mouth.

Emerald Clan Hunters :
ImageCastin Starsparks
Guided by the light of the stars and the smell of the rain, Castin is a true born hunter of the Emerald Clan under the infamous family of Starsparks. Her connection to Caiyha makes her a role model to young hunters in training who look upon her feats and achievements as great examples of the huntress’s power. Her hair is a brilliant star blonde and she is of a height conducive to hiding in the tall grass with ease. She is a formidable marksman with all ranged weapons but specializes in short bow; using a short bow allows her to use her ranged skills at a closer range than most would be comfortable with. Her strider Casmis and her are so in tune with each other, they are said to communicate only with facial expressions and Grassland sign. Castin is also an accomplished webber and has saved herself and her kin with it many a time in the dangerous grasslands.

ImageUliskis Ravencrest
Uliskis is a proud member of the Ravencrest family - an Emerald Clan family known for its outstanding skills in placating even the most untamed beasts of the Sea of Grass. Their family has a long history of training hunting animals and these skills are used out in the field to communicate peace and serenity to animals that are being hunting by their party. Uliskis herself is legendary amongst Drykas for the conditions that she brought down a great beast to feed her clan. They say she wooed the animal into submission just with the look in her eyes and the very scent she gave off with her body. They say the beast, though initially aggressive, actually bowed down to her and exposed its vulnerable chest to the shining short blade in her hand. For that act of honour and grace she has earned the title ‘Eth’fon’ which is the Pavi word for ‘Caiyha’s Left Hand’. Uliskis is a very reserved individual, finding that she enjoys gathering herbs and examining the mysteries of the land and animals rather than dealing with other Drykas

ImageZethar Earthstone
The Earthstone family has a keen sense of the land. They seem to listen to Semele not only with their ears but with their souls. It shows in the way they step upon her body, with light footed-ness and a grace that allows them to span the Sea of Grass without making a sound or footprint. Zethar is particularly skillful in the art of tracking - both people and animals. His hearing is so extraordinary that he can hear ants walk and grass grow. Not much gets past this hunter, and his intensely curious and somewhat eavesdropping nature makes him a valuable, although somewhat relentless, asset to any hunting party. He is very outgoing and playful and is often seen making a jest even at the most inappropriate moments. Aside from his trusty strider, he shares his most intimate company with a spotting hawk named Chirca.

Artist Credit:
the-one-ring.deviantart.com
mishu-evil-genius.deviantart.com
swinspeed.deviantart.com
reine-haru.deviantart.com
stratege.deviantart.com
Tundris
Mother Drykas

Words: 59440
Joined roleplay: December 13th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kayiri on September 26th, 2010, 12:15 pm

Kayiri sat with his legs folded. He had been mostly silent the past few days, not only because of the fact they had required the silence, but also because he just hadn't felt like talking. He was currently situated in a seated position not too far away from the water and the food. In fact, he had already stolen a few piece of the dried meat. At this very moment, one hung out of his mouth as he laboriously chewed on a particularly tough section. He hated it when that happened.

The whetstone moving across his blade ceased as Zethar began to talk again. He had been working laboriously on one side of his blade, and it showed. It was sharp, and it made Kayiri quite satisfied. The moment Zether finished, he went about sharpening the other side of the sword, and once that was finished, the heads of his arrows. Only then did he open his mouth to speak, his voice hoarse for the first few words due to its lack of use the past few days.

"I seek honor, both for myself as an individual, and for my Pavilion. I also seek glory, and the only death I find acceptable, when Dira calls: one in valiant battle," Kayiri looked around the group, studying them with his eyes, before his eyes returned to his careful work. One that didn't know him would say he was apathetic, but one that did would realize that he simply didn't like the huge crowd, so instead of interacting with it, he buried himself in his work. Besides, every little bit of time spent preparing now could save his life tomorrow.

Then, curiosity overtook him. He rose to his feet, approaching Castin, as she seemed the least occupied out of all three of the hunters. Well, Uliskis wasn't occupied either, but she was frightening as hell. He settled down next to her, and then he spoke.

"This is the first year I have participated in the Fall Hunt, and now I must wonder, what does an honorable kill entail? Must we dispatch the animals in a certain fashion, or must we simply not horribly mutilate the creature's meat and hide?" Kayiri asked curiously. His head was tilted, his eyes attempting to meet hers. He had to admit, Castin was a beautiful woman, and in his eyes, that beauty was only bolstered by her impressive list of accomplishments. Of course, he knew nothing would ever come of it, but a man can look at the scenery, can't he?
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Words: 114225
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 2:35 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on September 26th, 2010, 5:57 pm

Sam listened to Zethar and then to Kayiri speak. Among Drykas in a group like this, he reverted to his last memories of such a thing. Though he had been considered a full-fledged member of his pavilion when it was forcibly dispersed, bonding with Hasieran hadn't done much to change the fact of his extreme youth. A few of his companions already knew his tale, or at least the basic sketch of his life. He waited for a lull to give voice himself, his eyes frequently falling back to the fletching of his arrows as he checked them for faults. He had nothing like the skill of Castin with a shortbow, but he had watched her every move hoping to learn a bit of that skill. He could ride with the best of them, he thought, but his weapons work needed practice.

"I used to be Sama'el," he said quietly, but with enough conviction to be heard over the crackle of the fire for those who were listening. He hadn't ever uttered the name of his pavilion since it was destroyed. They were dead. It didn't bear repeating any longer. "When I was seven, my pavilion was destroyed on its way back from Syliras, and I spent the next eight years as a slave in Sunberth."

He tried to keep from looking down too much in case Denen was 'listening'.

"I finally escaped with Horse, a Windrunner stallion. He's back in Endrykas at the moment, but he's beautiful." At least among the Drykas he didn't have to explain how Horse was as much a brother to him as the human brothers he had lost, and they would not think so close a bond a strange thing. "It took two years of wandering before I started paying attention to the omens telling me to come home. We never spent all that much time in Endrykas when I was young. My grandfather, the Ankal, liked to roam, and said that there were distant pieces of the Web that needed his attention.

"But now I'm back and I've been Sam for so long that it's taking me... time... to remember who Sama'el was, and to see if I can be him again." He took a deep, meditative breath. "My cousin, Eldon Sunkiss," he nodded to his inimitable cousin, the water worker, "invited me here with him. So of course Aiken followed," he said, a note of warmth entering his voice for the wolf-man who had seemed to latch onto Sam and become a part of his nascent family, "and then Dymphna and Denen decided to come along...

"It's strange... to have friends again, and family." He took another deep breath. "So I suppose I am here for many things, because there are many things I need to get what I want.

"I want to rebuild my pavilion, since I am the last one living capable of doing so. In order to do that, I need many things: enough goods to trade for a real pavilion, horses to build the herd, training with the web... But most of all, I am trying to find Sama'el again. Perhaps I will find him out here with all of you."

He had gotten through it without breaking into unmanly tears, but when he was done, he looked down to his fletching again to avoid compassionate or judging eyes. His mind cycled through logistical things: how long would Aiken settle for dried meat before he and Sam would have to go off for safer prey that he might eat as nature intended; would Dymphna's father perhaps initiate him into the web and begin his training after a successful Fall Hunt; would Eldon still be proud to call him family knowing the degradation of his slavery -- all right, that wasn't exactly logistical.

Sam just steeled himself to his work, waiting for someone else to tell their story and distract from him. He was not a leader yet, but he was working on it. And it was an accomplishment just now not to retreat to the tent he shared with Aiken.

After getting used to a longbow, he was really going to have to ask Caitin for some help with the shortbow...
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ryjaoka Windia on September 26th, 2010, 7:21 pm

Lifting her head she allowed her voice to speak softly to the sky. Letting the Pavi fall from her tongue like water while she spook to the goddess of the beast and land. Ryjaoka prayed to Caiyha to bring her good fortune in this hunt, and to help cure her white stud strider of his aging hooves. Letting her head fall she ended the talk with a simple appreciation to the goddess.

Raising from her position on the ground she allowed her acidic green eyes to look towards the leading man. Zethar voice reached her quieter than he probably was being. Listening to his words she glanced around the group of hunters, getting to know them would be a hard task in itself for her; but she knew she had to do it. Looking to grasslands again she gave her a farewell to her strider for the night, knowing somehow he would hear her before making her way towards the water.

When Zethar was done talking she looked to her own sword, she assumed it was sharp enough, she'd only used it once and that was a mercy killing for a dieing beast. Still she guessed she should check the blade as she saw another hunter doing. Moving to sit to amongst the group not bothering to get to close, she let her hands unsheathe the blade.

Grabbing at a piece of the long grass she plucked it from the earth before moving it downward over her blade. Smiling at the clean cut grass she nodded to herself. To her that was a sharp enough blade; reaching into her pocket she removed a cloth beginning the task of polishing the silver while she listened to the sharpening man's reason. He spoke of honor and glory as being his reasons for coming to the fall hunt, both terms known to be established by this event in Endrykas.

She watched in curiosity as the next man announced his reasoning for being here. His story was one of tragedy and despair, looking to the ground she thought about her own dark past. One that haunted her sleep and very soul, leaving her distant and lonely in her 19 years of life. He was trying to find himself again and it seemed that he was hoping to find it here amongst them.
Both men seemed to have valid and worthy reasons for coming to this hunt.

Still, was her reason worthy for her coming along with these people? Clearing her voice she spoke softly to the group. "I too come for honor and acceptance from a Pavilion I don't have. I guess that on this journey I hope to be invited back into the Pavilion that has shunned me. More important though, I'm here to honor Caiyha for all she has given me, by giving her an honorable hunt," letting her words drift off she went back to her task of running smooth tight circles over the blades surface. Knowing that her words weren't as heart felt as it seemed Sama'el's were, nor as driven as the others, but that was her reasons. Accepted or not.
Ryjaoka Windia
Drykas, Dhani Warrior

Words: 39278
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2010, 9:08 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Dymphna on September 27th, 2010, 12:12 am

A sidelong glance was given to Sam at the mention of her deciding to come along. It was partially true, or perhaps a little more than partially, but she had spent quite a bit of her childhood being considered a tag-a-long. She wasn’t sure she cared for it now that she was an adult. Still she reached out to take Sam’s hand and give it a little comforting squeeze.

She peered calmly at Ryjaoka as she spoke. If there was any judgment there, it was invisible on Dymphna’s face. Slowly her attention turned back to the group as a whole.

“I wish I could say that I was here to provide good hunting skills or gain honor, but I’m afraid that my siblings that are on another team were the Whitefeathers gifted with those reasons. I’m here…” She chewed on her bottom lip for a moment, unsure of how to even begin to explain. “I’m here to befriend my fears in hopes of becoming a stronger healer.”

The story she was about to give she’d never told anyone there. There were rumors around this girl, though, and if someone had connection to her pavilion or even witnessed the final parts of the story then they’d at least know what had been told of her.

She pulled her knees up until she could put her chin to them and wrap her arms around her shins as she continued, “Four years ago some of my pavilion went to rescue a group out in the Sea of Grass, and our encampment was taken over by a flock of Zith. I managed to hide for a few days in a hole, but not before seeing my mother and a sister killed… And before getting discovered by one of the raiders. He let me sit in that hole until I came out on my own, and then he captured me. After two years of being enslaved I escaped.”

She skipped the details, because those were the things she had to make peace with yet - The treatment she was given, the pain and illness, and the poisoning and eventual killing of the man who claimed he owned her. A shaking hand lifted up to push a bit of hair out of her face, and she smiled though her eyes were nervous and scared.

“I made it across the Sea of Grass on my own, and… Well, I was almost back to Endrykas by the time I was met by a rescue party. But it terrifies me to be out here now… I thought maybe being with a strong group would help me find peace again. And, well, you can’t be a good healer holding onto fear…”

With that said, she gave the group a little nod. Pushing up off the ground, she went to go find something to eat on.
Dymphna
Player

Words: 79238
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2010, 7:53 pm
Character sheet

Postby Vanator on September 30th, 2010, 12:03 pm

Vanator stood a ways back from the fire, leaning on his battle axe and drinking mead from a wooden cup. He had managed to stash a small container of his favorite fermented honey drink in his gear. The firelight's dim orange glow caught the gold flecks in his deep brown eyes as he surveyed again the group gathered for this hunt. Aside from Zethar, the Drykas sitting around the fire were young, Vanator having probably ten winters over the oldest of them. They were handsome and vibrant, and even though they had spoken no words in nearly three days, each member had already displayed distinct personalities and promising talent. Himself only a marginally adequate hunter, Vanator hoped to learn from the Emerald Clansmen and the rest of the party.

As Kayiri spoke, Vanator had lifted his mug to the man. Hearing his warrior friend speak, a wide grin crossed Van's face. Kay still boasted the same Drykas pride that had nearly gotten them and Hex killed by Zith at Din.

Turning his gaze to Sam, Van's face became somber as he listened to the boy's tale, which he did not have the opportunity to hear during the hunting incident with Kayiri and Dymphna several days earlier. So much to suffer so young, but he showed drive and the respectable determination to build his pavilion up again.

The next to speak was the swordswoman. She was exotic and attractive, and vaguely unsettling. Vanator could not put a finger on it, but she didn't seem totally....Drykas. Maybe it was her mysterious green eyes. She still had not revealed her name. He did respect her worship of Caiyha though, it would be wise for all of them to call on the goddess for this hunt.

The next to speak up was Sam'ael's friend, the tall red-headed Dymphna, also present on the hunt almost eight days ago. Her story rent at his heart, resonating with the memory of his first wife, slain by Zith, and the slavery his sisters hand known. It was obvious that her slight frame contained a truly strong Drykas heart.

A brief silence fell amongst the hunters. Vanator felt compelled to break the quiet spell. "I am Vanator Denusk, I am heir to the Denusk Pavilion of the Sapphire Clan." Though his introduction was a bit formal, Van's tone was tempered and friendly and his manner turned casual. "My reasons for joining the hunt are not nearly as noble or inspiring as my fellow huntsmen and women. This summer, five years after loosing my first wife in a Zith attack, I remarried. My wife is now with child, and I am soon to take my second wife. Though I desire to earn honor and pride for my Pavilion, in the end, the fact is I have a new family to support."

"Besides, events like the Fall Hunt are vital to binding us together as a people. I already sense our connections. I hear tales that resonate within us all, of the dangers of being Drykas, of living in the Grass. There is the pain of loss, the perils of Zith and slavers and wild beasts. Our life is filled with difficulty and sorrow, but it is the tenacious passion and pride of our people that allow us to flourish, to find joy in our hard life, to bring honor to ourselves and our clans."

Vanator paused, not intending to deliver a monologue on the virtues of the Drykas. But he truly was excited to be on the Hunt, to have the opportunity to get to know and hunt with this group.
Last edited by Vanator on October 3rd, 2010, 3:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Eldon Sunkiss on September 30th, 2010, 10:05 pm

The night was becoming strong as the Drykas (full blood or not) each gave their reasons for joining the hunt, yet Eldon remained silent. He felt that he could understand, to at least some minimal extent for some, the reasons they offered for being here. Kayiri held a respectable goal, achieving honor for himself and his pavilion. Every Drykas wished it, fought for it, and some even obtained it. Of course his story was short, sweet and respectable as it was, but was heavily shadowed by that of Sam's.

The many questions Eldon wanted to ask Sam for several days now, were mostly all answered in that single speech. His cousin, the sole survivor, the man that defied the stories he had heard, a slave. Eldon felt his grip tighten against the dual-headed spear in his hand as his eyes gazed into the color-shifting sky. He felt an anger boiling up in him as his cousin's story did not simply hit and roll off, but it was absorbed by the young Drykas. Eldon would not soon forget this injustice on his kin. It wasn't right for Sam to survive such an event, only to be enslaved for so long, Sunberth he said? Eldon wasn't familiar with the place, but he irrationally began planning some sort of foolish endeavor in vengeance.

The rest of the stories were told. Two young women, both alone in this world. One of them shunned, exiled from their family, and the other a survivor, like Sam. It was no wonder she followed Sam, they were alike, they could relate. Not even Eldon could do that, and Sam was his kin, he felt like they were brothers rather than cousins. Eldon had to admit that he missed both of their names (whether they even gave them or not, he wasn't sure), but their stories would not simply fade, not so soon.

As Vanator spoke up, Eldon felt his attention torn from the sky and onto the man. It was a name, now that he heard it, that he knew of. The stories were lost somewhere in his scattered mind, but he was the same (he thought) as Eldon. Sapphire clan, an heir to the pavilion. Eldon had no wives, no great stories about him, so he had to assume there was plenty of experience that segregated the two. The darkness made it difficult for Eldon to see Vanator's face, but he assumed the man to be older. That was a voice that Eldon could follow too, say if something terrible happened, such as the death of Zethar.

"Thank you." Eldon heard his own voice without realizing he spoke, or even intended to speak. He blinked in surprise before quickly shifting his gaze back to the sky, facing away from the others. Typically he was outgoing, one who would always challenge others in wrestling matches or laugh loudly, but there was something that held him silent. Perhaps it was the hunt, a time when Eldon slept and a monster of silence was aroused in his place to carry on and survive. And perhaps there was more to it.

Whatever the cause for his change, it coaxed him into silence enough to not even give his reasons for being on the hunt. "I am Eldon Sunkiss of the Sapphire clan." His name was the only introduction he offered to the group at this moment.
Eldon Sunkiss
Casual Self-Destruction

Words: 240265
Joined roleplay: September 12th, 2010, 2:09 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aiken on October 3rd, 2010, 6:24 am

OOCI totally forgot I needed to post here. Really sorry guys!

Aiken stood, naked besides a thin, and slowly degrading loincloth that was the only decency anyone could expect of Aiken; he felt terrible in clothing after trying it just once, as if he had grown a thick, callused hide over his already thick skin. It itched something terrible to begin with, and he was afraid he wouldn't have been able to shift without killing himself.

His hand rested on Sam's shoulder, creating a physical link besides the ethereal one that held him close to his bondmate. He didn't really pay much attention to the other stories as he did Sam's. He felt the sadness he wished he could console, but was too nervous to act on it. He seemed to notice the conversation die down after a few moments and decided to pick up with his own reasons for why he had come along.

"I'm here for Sam, I suppose. A hunt is a hunt is a hunt, to me, as long as there's a hunt to be had and spoils for the victor of conflict." True as it was, Aiken still wanted to hunt, just because it was to be had. He was a predator, fierce and ruthless as any other he knew. But to be better than someone at hunting was a new concept. A hunt was... it was for food. It was no contest, this game of survival. It was life or death the way he saw it, and he was conditioned from birth to choose life with a vicious and bloodthirsty demeanor.

"This contest, you call it, is strange to me. I want to see how it ends, what a victory could be if we had one." He felt an anxious pride. If he didn't know better, he might had shifted then and gone off and hunted the family they had seen earlier and claimed victory over the fellow beast. But he knew better. And besides, Sam seemed to need him there, and it would take a force of several gods to tear him away.
Aiken
Player

Words: 33294
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2010, 3:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Denen Sunsinger on October 3rd, 2010, 7:05 am

Denen wasn't sure, for a moment, if it was a good idea to be here. He wasn't strong like the others. He was shy, meek. Like a woman, his father had said once, and scornfully so. He pushed back his soft, dark hair, and looked down at his feet, chewing his lower lip anxiously. Sam had spoken of the hunt, and the boy had wanted to go with he and Aiken. It was as simple as that. He wanted to offer his help. He tried to think of something nice to say, something beautiful and touching. He was a storyteller, after all. This should have been easy.

He tugged at the front of his tunic, standing awkwardly to the side, as he seemed made to do. He chewed his lower lip, doing his best to pay attention to what was being said. It was hard, though, as his Pavilion generally did him the favor of using sign when they were in large groups. He struggled to read everyone's lips clearly, and found himself missing bits and pieces of what was going on. The darkness did little to help, and after awhile, he gave a quiet sigh and simply looked away so that he wouldn't feel awkward for not knowing what was going on.

There were few times Denen regretted losing his hearing, and this was one of them. He reached up and self-consciously tugged on his ear, as if hoping that doing so would make it work again. But he knew it wouldn't work. He had tried everything, as had his father and Jada. Nothing worked.

Everyone seemed to have such sad stories to tell. His own life had been marked by loss. His mother had died the night he was born, and the woman who had raised him had died not long ago. Still, he did not feel that he knew anything to compare to what these did. As such, the boy remained quiet until the others were done talking. He knew he ought to answer, but he was afraid of what the others would think. What true reason did he have to be there? What right did he have?

He watched Sam'ael, and Aiken, as he knew them, but by now, several others had left. After Aiken had finished, the boy's meek, soft voice came, accompanied by sign. "I...I am j-just D-Denen Brokensong, of...of the O-Opal C-C-Clan. I...I c-came because I w-w-wanted to help," he said. "I do not have...a tale to drive me, or...or a deep hurt to my heart. I just..." He looked down then, as if ashamed that he had no great reason to join the hunt. "I don't h-have a lot...of c-c-courage. B-But I...I want to help." And then, he added in a little voice, one difficult to hear, "And...And to show...I can...be of use."

He adjusted the cloth he typically wore about his head, pulling it lower over his ears. They were formed perfectly normally, but he didn't want people looking at them funny.
Denen Sunsinger
The Third Wife

Words: 189953
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2010, 3:53 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Tundris on October 14th, 2010, 4:43 pm

43rd of Fall 510AV
Evening

As each Drykas told their story the three Hunters listened keenly, even Uliskis who almost seemed out of reach of the group from where she sat. After they all spoke, Zethar stood up again to address them, pausing to smile at Denen. Zethar noticed the boy’s deaf nature and so used his hands to grass sign whenever he regarded them as a whole.

“Beyond the reasons of what brought you here, there is a force in the wilds that is always sought by the heart. We are Drykas here; we find meaning in our experiences through our inevitable involvement in the circle of life. There is a force here that has guided us together; a desire for living and learning. Before we were born into our mothers’ arms, we resided in the universe as spirits. We chose the grasslands much like we have chosen each other. Make no mistake, this hunting group is not a random occurrence of available hunters - we chose this path because we all have something to teach and learn from each other.” Zethar paused as he looked over their fire lit faces. He bent his head up to the sky and marvelled in the glow of the distance stars, pointing out a constellation that had once helped him find home when all hope was lost.

It was no surprise then that Sam’ael, Aiken, Eldon, Dymphna, and Denen had made the trip together. “For as long as we are far from the safety of our pavilions back home, we are family here. We hunt together, eat together, dream together.” Their closeness was crucial to survival out in the grasses, having an intimate knowledge of each other was the key to communicating past simple words and emotions. When they left Endrykas, only a few tents were taken. One for supplies, one for minor weapon repairs, and one for sleeping chambers. The sleeping chambers was like any typical pavilion sleeping arrangement - a large pile of furs that they could lay amongst; friends, family, and animals alike! When the fall wind grew cold at night, the hunting dogs and cats would bury themselves deeper into the pile, turning the entire tent into a space filled with warmth and protection. The striders outside huddled together in a similar fashion, sticking close to one another for security as much as warmth.

The reminiscing moment of one’s far off family faded as their attention was brought back to the crackling bonfire at their feet. Zethar continued his talking and signing, implanting encouragement into the uncertain souls that were learning to embrace this new family unit. “We all play our role in this family; and the level of one’s skill or perceived worth is but an illusion here. Just as a great leader exudes honour and power, there is an equal power found in being small or as one might perceive - insignificant. As Drykas we know not to judge everything with our eyes. Even the tiniest of creatures has its role in this world, much like the role we serve for each other now. For this lesson I have a poem to remind us of the importance in appreciating what being small does for us...”

The Great Way flows everywhere,
To the left and to the right.
The ten thousand things
Depend on it for life.
It nourishes them all,
Holding nothing back.
It accomplishes what needs to be,
But takes no credit.
It clothes and feeds all things,
Yet does not claim
To be their lord.
It asks for nothing in return.
It may be called the Small.

The ten thousand things
Follow it.
Return to it.
Yet it does not claim
To be their lord.
Therefore, it may be called
The Great.

So too the wise may become great,
By becoming small.

When the poem was finished, Zethar smiled to them all and seated himself next to Denen, raising his hands again to sign to the young fellow. “I know you are unsure here, of whether you ‘belong’. But there is great honour in humility and restraint. You have the ability to see all angles of the situation because you have not taken charge of anyone or anything. You may not have experienced the pain of those you are in company with, but your lessons learned here are as important to your growth as their pain is to them. Comparing yourself to them will only cloud the vision you need to see your own path clearly. You serve a vital role amongst us. You see the world from your eyes, and can offer insight that is valuable to all of us. When you become more comfortable here, you will find your confidence and express yourself when the time feels right.” Zethar patted the young healer on the shoulder and rose to cross the fire and pluck a piece of bread and cheese from the platter.

Kayiri:
When the large figure of Kayiri settled down besides her, Castin’s face rose to meet his and she smiled warmly, encouraged to speak by the warrior’s forwardness. They both listened to Zethar’s poem first and waited for a quiet opportunity to speak amongst themselves. “As children of Caiyha, we must respect all creatures large and small. As Zethar said, one can become great by becoming small. It is how we think and live as Emerald Clan, we search for the meaning in every life and appreciate its presence in our path. The greatest of adversities may be unwelcome, but if it weren’t for such adversity, we would not be strengthened. This is why every time we hunt, we focus on the animal’s spirit and send out our energy of appreciation.”

She continued, her gaze focused fully on Kayiri as she spoke. “Every animal will fight with honour, as it is the way of the creatures here but in approaching the hunt with a pure heart, we make a connection with the hunted and communicate our good intent. The death strike must then be delivered in as little blows as possible. One swift arrow to the heart is best, but the plunge of sword or dagger can be just as effective. A critical shot to the heart is considered a good blessing from Caiyha - it means the animal suffered very little and has joined her Goddess willingly. When the heart is difficult to get to, we also behead the hunted with a sharp sword and skilled hand. This is not as honourable of a kill as piercing the heart but part of being a hunter is also being adaptable. The circumstances are not always to our liking and for that we have many opportunities to hunt as we grow in ability. The key to an honourable kill is the acknowledgement of the animal and Caiyha’s gift to the hunter. We are honoured to have the opportunity to hunt the hunted, so we must show Caiyha our appreciation for what she is giving us.”

44th of Fall 510AV
Early Morning

The Valiant Striders set off the next morning on their horses, bounding across the landscape to warm up stiff joints and cold muscles. As they sat around the fire eating their morning meal, Zethar taught the bunch a handful of grassland signs that would help them communicate as they rode; ride hard, ride together, split off, bend left, bend right, stop, up the middle, strike. The signs were simple enough to remember, as the hand movements resembled that of the action.

The Olidosapux herd had migrated south of where they camped, nestled in a large valley-type cluster of hills and rock beds. Their location could not have been more perfect, they had ample room to run the herd in circles so they could separate them. Out of the twenty something that huddled together as they grazed, the large alpha bull and five of the female cows would be hunted. Two younger males nearing their prime would be able to carry on the herd, and the smaller calves would be left alone to grow.

When they stopped at the top of the hill that overlooked the herd’s position, an unexpected but meaningful series of events unfolded before them. First, amidst their peaceful grazing, another bull in the group approached the alpha male and challenged his authority. The bull stomped its feet and thrusted its horns into the air as it paced about in front of the alpha male, showing off its brute force and intimidation. But the alpha male would not buy it and roared in response, engaging the young male with his enormous horns. The young male locked its horns with its elder, digging its feet into the ground as it bore its weight onto its neck to strengthen its attack. The alpha bull threw the young male off of his horns mockingly and then stomped about in premature victory. The young male would not have it, he would not back down, he had begun his transition to alpha position himself and he would not be disgraced. He charged again at the larger bull and met him head on.

The hunters watched the scene below with the utmost wonder - the wild creatures acted no differently than their fellow humans, they just wore different skins. But trouble was brewing and out of the corner of his eye, Zethar noticed that the Valiant Striders weren’t the only ones hunting Olidosapux that day. A pack of eight female lions could be seen rounding the hill on the side closest to the herd that was furthest from the two fighting males. The hunters intervention would be a deviance from the ritual of their hunt, but it was more important that they prevent the lions from traumatizing the beasts and eating their young. While the lions too were part of the circle of life, this herd was meant for them and them alone. The lions pack was a necessary obstacle.

A series of grassland signs for ‘ride hard together’ and ‘strike’ were punched in the air by Castin. They would take down the pack as they herded the Olidosapai away. If the Valiant Striders didn’t kill the lions and segregate their pick of the herd before the duel was won, it would be more difficult to deal with the new male pumped full of adrenaline. At that point he would fight tooth and nail to kill any that threatened his kin.

The ride down the hill was thrilling, the wind blasting their skin, the roar of the hooves vibrating through their bodies. As soon as they hit the bottom, Castin motioned for Vanator, Denen, Dymphna, Kayiri, and Zethar to ride on either side of the herd (like she had taught them at the campsite that morning) and run the herd through the valley away from the lions. Two riders on each side would suffice and they needed to keep the herd moving to avoid the razor sharp claws of the predators. Zethar would lead from the back and ensure that they were kept on course as they wove across the valley. If a lion attempted to kill a cow or its calf, the riders needed to stay vigilant to sign warnings and send arrows sailing through the skull of the predator if need be.

Ryjaoka, Sam’ael, Aiken, Eldon, Uliskis, and Castin engaged the lion pack full on, an explosion of attacks aimed at their enemy. Four lions were cornered by the attacking Drykas, and they managed to block the predators away from the rest of their pack that pursued the herd. They hissed and jumped claws first at the riders. There was no way they could be driven off by intimidation, these lions were threatened by the presence of the Drykas Hunters.

The remaining four predators followed the herd, nipping at the cow’s ankles and snapping their jaws when the youngsters fell back out of the protection of their mothers stampeding group. The calves were slower movers and this made the mothers slow down. This left them vulnerable to the advancing speeds of the lions. The Valiant Striders needed to think fast - time was passing too quickly for them to ponder frivolously, they needed to act.

Artist Credit:
Campfire: elainethemain.deviantart.com
Riders on the Hill: svanhildr.deviantart.com
Lions Hunting: dittin03.deviantart.com
Tundris
Mother Drykas

Words: 59440
Joined roleplay: December 13th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Trailblazer (1)