[Writing] Spicing up internal dialogue

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Timothy Mered on June 12th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Hello everyone!

I've been RP'ing for maybe three years now but I still, at times, run into an issue. That issue is internal dialogue (or monologue really). Sometimes I feel like I am just writing filler content to avoid making the post too short.

Out of all facets of writing, I think I find jolting down my character's thoughts in an interesting and entertaining way the hardest thing to do. I find it harder still for these internal musings to be in-character.

Even worse, after a while of playing a certain character I begin to feel like I have already played out every possible thought. It's not true, obviously, but I begin to rewind and replay the same patterns of contemplations that I've used before.

Particularly with the character I have now, I feel it is essential to try and work on improving this area of my writing abilites. I have neglected it for some time now and I am here not just to have fun, but to become a better writer aswell.

So, do any of you talented folks have a few words of advice to help me write interesting internal monologues?

Many thanks in advance and I hope we'll be able to get a nice discussion going on this topic!
Timothy Mered
Determined

Words: 296697
Joined roleplay: June 10th, 2014, 1:43 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Nivel on June 28th, 2014, 4:54 am

I don't know if this helps but as a constant internal dialoguer in real life, I do repeat things, dig up random songs I haven't heard in ages, Plan out possible conversations with people, try and redo conversation i've had with people that didn't go well, think about what people would look like as other genders, or different races, or just generally think about what the world would be like if certain things were reversed (like if insects were the main sentient race.). I also have a habit of talking with my hands and it sadly extends to when I'm thinking about something, so I'm always afraid that people think I'm schizophrenic. Actually my whole faces moves and I always have to constantly suppress it so people don't get creeped out.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)