Solo Where are we going from here?..

Fragments of Haasha and Naruya's last days in Zinrah.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The unassuming den of the Constrictor Dhani, it is truly a pit of snakes. Travelers should take care, because the Dhani are always hungry... [Lore]

Where are we going from here?..

Postby Haasha on June 13th, 2014, 10:07 am

15th of Red Stone, 498 AV.

“What isss thisss?”
There was a moment of terror before a firm hand gripped her shoulder. A short jerk, and Haasha blinked at the floor, suddenly being on her feet. Her father’s angry hiss made her come to her senses, and she tried to stagger away from him. The grip with which he held her shoulder started to hurt.
“What is thisss? Do you hear what I’m asssking you?!”
“I-…”
She glanced at the clay cup in the fireplace. It was all cracked up, white lacquered shards glistening with the flame. In the bottom of the former cup, there seemed to be something moving, as if a lichen, writhing in pain. It was a big writhing cave lichen, unevenly split in halves, tangled in wet boiled sea weeds, a few tops of nice dried flowers that mother had in lots in the store room, and a little salt. Now that the water dried out, the mass emitted a terrible stench – in addition, the lichen kept writhing. Haasha thought that it was easier to look at its convulsions than at her father. She never would look at her father when he was angry.
She knew she was wrong, and she knew that she didn’t want it to turn out like that. Naruya made a thing she rubbed into father's back. She said that he was angry half the time because he had to go to cold lands in winter, and winter bit him on the shoulder. Haasha never saw any bitemarks, but she knew that when her mother was finished rubbing that light-yellow ointment into father's back, father became all relaxed and good-spirited for awhile.
“I tried to make a potion.” the girl whispered, biting her lips and trying to hold off the sobbing. Crying was for weaklings, even Naruya told her that, especially often.
The grip loosened, he pushed her away and she heard his heavy steps on the floor.
“Your mother will hear about this, and you’d better clean out thisss ssslugsss dung before she returns.”

Her mother worked as a potion master in Zinrah. She often said that it was a temporary job, and that she didn’t even like it that much, but Haasha was a keen child in that regard. She could tell that flowers, slugs and potions have been at least a part of her mother’s life.

Naruya often sat by her before she’d fall asleep and told her stories. She told her a story once, about a land far away, where people don’t turn into snakes. It about a princess who was loved by a man, a Djed-shaper. She was an ignorant, spoiled person, but he loved her nevertheless, with all his heart. He turned to travel to sooth the pain in his heart, but as he crossed lands and seas, he could never forget her. The princess loved flowers, and he kept sending her flowers from all the lands he passed through, alive flowers and dried flowers, and flowers made of glass and stone.
One day the man, by that time a master in his craft and a powerful, though very unhappy person, returned to where his ladylove lived, only to know that she drowned in the lake a prior season. The man left, and nothing was heard from him for weeks. His servants settled in the city with fat purses and good recommendations, his house was turned into a free entrance museum, where artifacts, paintings and sculptures all over the world were displayed, and his works were passed for study to his apprentice. In surprise, the latter saw his master leave deep in the night, and decided to follow him.
The road led to the lake, and there was no sign of a man other than steps on the sand and a fading ripple on the water. Half-submerged into the lake, with its leaves protruded, as if arms stretched out, stood a beautiful amber flower, the color matching that of his master’s eyes. As the apprentice stood by the lake in shock and wonder, the strong wind blew, and the flower’s bell separated from the stem, going high into the sky until it touched the stars. The wind carried the poor fool’s heart over the lands and waters, mountains and forests, until it reached the lake, where its sorrows drowned.
From the seeds of that sorrow that the flower carried, new ones grew, but, as they stood throat-deep in the water, they wondered, and shrugged in confusion, for they did not know their purpose, and knew no troubles. The memory of that man faded slowly over the years, but the Fool’s Heart could still be found growing in pure waters, unable to tell the tale of an unrequited love. Haasha didn't quite understand why it was so sad, but her mother had a talent for storytelling, listening to the harsh, shuffling voice always brought the girl into a deep, calm sleep.

That night Haasha lay quietly, curled in the blanket, and listened to her father snarl and her mother’s calm, shuffling voice that was devoid of any warmth. She could distinguish the words, but her mind refused to remember them or make them out as they went louder, to shouting, and then... there was racket, rattle of the wooden furniture. She lay there and though she could make it out by the creak and crack. The cupboard. The table. The stool banged against the door to her small nest, and then her father groaned, and her mother hissed something in a language that wasn’t hissing at all, and the sound of that language sent shivers down the girls spine. When all went quiet, she pulled herself from under the blanket and waited. Sleep left her for sure, but not worry. Or hunger. She refused to come out of her room to see her father, was punished, and now her stomach made the nastiest sounds, and her guts twisted like snakes.
She could sneak into the main room, and get some lichens from the cupboard… they weren’t tasty at all if raw, but if she bit them like her mother did, they’d become a tasteless jelly soon – and her guts would stop twisting. Maybe, her mother was working by the fire late in the night, she could then explain everything properly. Naruya was understanding, not at all like her father. But what if her father was there? Some nights he could be found towering over the table where they usually ate, over some maps, moving his heavy square-tipped finger over the black lines. He always shooed her off… and today she made him angry.
Haasha’s hand stilled on the door. Was it worth the risk?
Her stomach grumbled, suggesting that she shouldn’t spend too much time thinking.

It would still be better to know if someone was there… Through the slit between the door and the doorframe she could see their main room. The fire was burning bright, warm light dancing on the grey wooden furniture and dim yellow walls. Before it was an empty chair, on which she could see some things. However she twisted, she couldn’t see the dining table – it was too far away. She listened carefully, then, in hopes of catching a shuffle of a sigh, but there was nothing to be heard except for the fire cracking.

The path was probably clear.

The girl narrowed her eyes at the things on the chair. There was a wooden tray, a high cup made of clay, painted white, and some bowl with something. And grapes. Haasha felt her mouth get watery. Has her mother left dinner for her in secret, knowing that she’d crawl out of her hole for food when everyone’d be asleep?
She new that the door was creaky half-way, and Haasha made a gap wide enough only to squeeze through without a sound. She was light-footed, and the floor was firm, but both her parents had a very good hearing, so to truly come unnoticed, she’d have to move really quiet.

Making a first soft, cautious step towards the chair, she imagined herself being a real jungle hunter, crawling through the forest, full of dangerous beasts and poisonous insects. She had to watch her feet, measure her breath, and be very, very careful…
She almost stepped on some dark shards, which were very close to the floor in color, and stilled her step before her foot would land. She could balance on one foot for a while, and made a sloppy sidestep, to sneak around the ‘trap’, wondering how did it even get there. Out of curiosity, she crouched by the pieces, and took an angled one in her hand. She could swear these were dirt-covered shards of her broken clay cup. She sniffed the angle, and almost sneezed. Definitely, a familiar stench. But she got rid of them, who could…
It didn’t matter. She was by the tray now, and pulled it to herself. She’d rather sit on the floor, and by the side of the fireplace, in the shadow.

“Were you trying to make a muscle salve?”

Haasha, who’d just settled with her food, almost choked on a grape she reflectively tried to gulp without chewing.
Naruya was standing in the room, leaning to the wall with her arms crossed. The look on her face, though, didn't promise anything bad.
She looked at her mother with widened eyes, and finished the gigantic gulp. Her throat ached dully, and then she stared, without answering. Naruya chuckled, moving away from the shadow and closer to the fire. Following her, Haasha noticed the glass on the dining table – so, her mother was going to work at night.
“Don’t worry, your father’s gone to work and won’t return any time soon. So?”
Haasha nodded, and leaned in her mother’s embrace, calming down.
“Just listen how your heart races. Little cowardly chick.” the half-blood felt thin hands brush over her hair. She didn’t mind the title she was given. Her mother was warm and it was cozy in her thin, but strong arms. “Don’t be afraid, I’ll teach you things. Your father doesn’t have to know.”
Last edited by Haasha on June 13th, 2014, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haasha
"Noone will come to help me. Nor you."

Words: 40921
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2014, 1:06 pm
Race: Mixed blood

Postby Haasha on June 13th, 2014, 1:06 pm

16th of Red Stone, 498 AV.

The empty glass tubes were glittering with enigma in the candle light, and there were bottles and bowls around it, in some precise order Haasha didn’t understand yet. Before her lay a board and a knife, and her mother was all around her, settling the table, giving directions and advice. The girl felt her heart beat faster with anticipation, and shifted on the stool. Her mother was really going to teach her, and if Haasha failed, maybe she’d change her mind. So, she couldn’t fail.
“Never blow on an alcohol lamp – you’ll make the flame bigger instead of putting it out.” her mother said, putting it on the left from her. “Just use the cap here.”
“I will.”
“Good girl. Now, take a bug from the bowl on your right. Don’t worry, they don’t bite already.”
The bug’s black shell was firm and dry, and Haasha turned it in her fingers to take a better look. Uck. The small legs pressed to the firm disgusting belly were especially horrendous. But, well, it didn’t move, and it was part of the task. She also noticed two sharp things on its head which were probably for biting. Interesting.
“What is it?”
“Pond crawler. You can find them by the water. They feed on frog eggs. Now , place it on the board. Like this. Take the knife.”
Haasha felt a thin hand on her shoulder, and another one guiding her hand with the knife.
“Don’t press on the bug too much, but fix him to the board.”
The girl felt the shell suddenly turn too smoth and almost slippery, and heard a faint crack. Her mother sighed quietly and continued.
“Now point the knife into this small hole between its shell and its head, and press, then slice, making a half circle. Yes. Do you see the yellow thing dripping out?”
“Uh-uh.”
“Now put the knife on a flat side and press on the shell.”

The yellow lymph squeezed out of the bug in large, oily drops. Haasha rubbed her fingers together – they turned slippery – and was going to clean them against her shirt, when mother caught her hand.
“Don’t do that. Use the cloth on the table.”
“Why?”
“Because good girls don’t ask many questions, because your mother does so, and because you don’t want to get some more poisonous stuff from your fingers in your mouth or on your skin - take your pick. So don’t even think about taking this habit. Okay?”

Haasha paused, then nodded.
“Can you manage ten more bugs? Just squeeze them into one of the glass tubes. And be careful, don’t drop anything.”
“All right.”

She finished fast, probably, as her mother planned, and sniffed some fresh cut plants. They looked like violet onions, only smaller – and smelled much better.
“You’re finished, then? This is Issahay plant, and to make it good, you first need to dry it in a dark place – but if you went into my storeroom, you’ve probably already seen it.”
Haasha nodded.
“Then you need to separate globes from the shoots, and cut the shoots into really small pieces. Help me mince the shoots, will you? Just try to make them really tiny.”
Issahay didn’t give much sap, and it was transparent. Its smell was like some berries and honey together. Haasha bit the tip of her tongue to concentrate better, her hands moving slowly, but steadily, brows furrowed.
“You cut off the globes because that’s where bad juice concentrates. Even animals don’t eat the globes.”
Haasha worked in silence. She was never the loudest kid, and with the work taking all of her attention, she was even quieter. Maybe it was the concentration which kept her from cutting herself when her mother spoke.

"Your father is starting to trouble me, dear."
Haasha raised her look, the knife still in her fingers. Naruya wasn't looking her in the face. She looked worried.
"I'm afraid that one day he might lose his temper, and hurt you. Or me. Who knows when this is going to happen. So we might need to leave. Go far away."
"Where?"
"I don't know, sweetheart."
the woman managed to smile. "We'll walk and walk, and see new places. Like that morphing mage from your bedtime stories. Only it'll be hard for you, I'm afraid. Very much harder than for the Djed master."
"Why?"
"Oh, and you're asking."
Naruya chuckled sadly and ruffled the daughter's hair. "Because you're a cowardly chicken, and will have to stay close to your mother at all times. And your mother is going to be doing the job she used to do before she met your good for nothing father."
Haasha felt that the topic was getting dangerous, and asked after a pause:
"What do I do after I mince?"

Her mother's look softened.
"You light the alcohol lamp." she helped Haasha settle the holder for the glass tube, then showed her the pincers. "You take the tube with these when you're going to put it into a holder or take from it. Metal turns red when it gets hot, but the glass doesn't, so you never know if it cooled enough."
The girl's fingers clutched the pincers, and she stretched them out to get the tube.
"Don't press them too hard. Now, give them to me and look what I do - you need to do that before you put the tube on the holder."
Naruya warmed the glass on the tube's full length, pulling it above the flame again and again.
"Now, we wait, until the lymph turns brown."
"What are we making?"
"I'll tell you when it's ready."
"Why not now?"
"Because you can use it right away. So it's a surprise."

After the lymph turned the color of old iron wood, they added water, and Haasha learned to mix the contents of the tube while holding it with the pincers in one hand. Her hands were shivering lightly. Then Naruya poured half a cup water, had her leave the tube for awhile and quickly mix the equal amount of the dried plant dust, freshly grinded in the mortar, to the water. When the water turned faint lilac, Naruya smiled lightly and said:
"Now pour the lymph. Don't forget about the pincers. Then mix."
The oily lymph now flowed like honey - sticky and looking rubbery. She mixed, then boiled it, until the water went out for the most part. What was left turned greyish-brown in color, and didn't smell at all.
She felt her mother hug her, and kiss the top of her head.
"Almost done, and done well, dear. You're going to be a good potion master, with time."
A warm feeling spread through the girls ribcage, she smiled and hugged the woman back. The delighted feeling grew so great that she yawned. Naruya chuckled heartily, and loosened the embrace.
"Come now, we need to finish the work. Take a spoon, and winkle the salve out here. Don't touch it yet, it's hot." the woman placed a small clay pot with a primitively ornamented top on the table.
"Will you tell me what is it for?" the kid demanded.
"I've heard you've been wandering about with some kids. And you've been falling a lot."
Haasha lowered her eyes.
"So, my dear clumsy child," her mother continued with an impeccable note of irony in her voice, "that will help to heal the bruises much, much faster. And if you get it on a fresh one, it will stop hurting in a minute."
Haasha stood silent.
"Is there something bothering you?" Naruya asked.
Haasha took a deep breath. It was her mother, after all.
"I don't want to cure my bruises. I want to make them hurt so that they wouldn't pick at me ever again." She stated, at last.
Her mother suddenly laughed. Her high-pitched laughter was so eerily joyful that Haasha stared at her in sheer confusion. The woman pecked her on the forehead.
"If you practice much and be a good girl - I'll show you. It requires way much skill that you have now, though, and it's bedtime now. Don't forget your salve. I'll leave some ingridients for you, and we'll repeat it tomorrow, so that the knowledge sinks. Then I'll show you something more potent. And then, maybe, we'll see about your kids. But-..." she made a pause.
"Noone has to know."
"Good girl."
she nodded. "Off to bed with you, now."
Haasha
"Noone will come to help me. Nor you."

Words: 40921
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2014, 1:06 pm
Race: Mixed blood

Postby Voodoo on June 19th, 2014, 4:19 am

Your Powers Grow

Haasha
Experience :
    Herbalism: +2
    Botany: +1
    Philtering: +1
    Socialization: +1
    Observation: +2
    Stealth: +1

Lore :
    Haasha's Father: A Creature to be Afraid Of
    Grapes: Not Easy to Gulp
    A Pact Between Mother and Daughter
    Muscle Salve: They Need More Water
    First Salve: Cure for Bruises

Comments :
Haasha, this thread was a wonderful start. I especially liked how mother and daughter spent time together. Especially with your detail on the items used to make the salve. There are a few things I would like to discuss for future reference.

- Generally you cannot use plants that have not been accepted. Both your plants have been submitted, but Traverse has to ok them before they can be used in RP. No need to alter this thread, but please try to avoid that in the future.

- Haasha's mother cannot be a Master Herbalist/Potionist in a Dhani world. An assistant would be perfectly acceptable, but Dhani don't really like outsiders.

- For future flash backs, Dhani caverns do not tend to have a lot of furniture. Maybe use flat rocks and ledges instead in future threads to accommodate the shelves and such? In Zinrah, all Dhani live in caverns because they are serpents, so doors and furniture is rare. Large fires would also be hard to sustain in damp, drippy caverns; however, small ones for philtering would be fine.

Now on to the better stuff. Since you asked for some help doing flashbacks, here are some ideas I have for you.

- Solos do not have to be a set number of posts, so don't worry there. If you want to maximize the amount of experience you get, keep in mind that you get 1 EXP/skill/post. For example, if you had 4 posts total describing how she learned to make a salve, you could get 4 XP in herbalism. If you only have 2, the max I can give you is 2. Of course, you could have 4 posts total and only have 2 posts that described something for herbalism and 2 others that described something for stealth. You could have gotten 4 experience points for both herbalism and stealth, but in this case, would only get 2 XP in each. If you described herbalism and stealth in all 4 posts really well, then you can get 4 XP for each skill.

- Flashbacks are not necessarily used to gain experience. Some people use it to build their character, build NPCs, gain experience, or help progress a storyline.

- Ultimately, flashbacks and solos are for you. Do what you want with them.
Voodoo
I'm known for ma graveside manner...

Words: 73986
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2014, 4:50 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Power Fork (1)