Solo (Geography) It's Bigger Than Zeltiva

Pulren learns about Syliran geography at University

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

(Geography) It's Bigger Than Zeltiva

Postby Pulren Marsh on June 30th, 2014, 2:34 am

Summer 1, AV 514

Pulren took his seat among the other students that had assembled for the Geography class. This was his first experience at the University and he immediately felt relieved to see other people in regular clothes. His own were clean. He had made sure of this by giving them a good scrubbing the night prior. Doing double duty between studies and patrols had left them sitting damp until just a bell before class, so they were a bit damp. He had thanked Zulrav for the wind that had dried them as much as they were.

Opening the blank book he had purchased in Spring, Pulren watched as others did the same and dabbed their quills into the inkwells they had either brought with them or the ones that were provided. He felt a small surge of pride to have his own inkwell and an extra quill. The murmuring of the class subsided as an older man with graying hair strode into the room. Wearing a brown robe with pockets, Pulren rose an eyebrow of concern that he may be a Wizard, but soon the man made him feel secure again in his answers.

Stroking a small curly beard, he greeted the class. "Greetings to you all. I am Professor Reynard. I hope you will excuse the robe, the heat of the day has stripped me to near nothing and a robe will have to suffice." This brought a chuckle to the class, but the look of surprise on Reynard's face quieted everyone as quickly. "Very well. I suspect we have some hopeful sailors among us, to the rest I hope that your interest of Geography is a sound one. There is much to learn and all of it will be helpful to you, regardless of your future occupations."

Turning to the board, the man began to speak and it became apparent to Pulren that he should write along all that he could gather from what the man was speaking and still listen to the lecture. His quill dipped, he put it to the paper and observed a large spot spreading across the page. Looking around, he saw others scrape the excess ink from the quill's tip on the edge of the inkwell before scribing, so with a turn of a precious page, he followed suit from there on out.

First he wrote the word GEOGRAPHY on the board, underneath it writing :

The Study of the Physical Features of Mizahar

Pulren copied this on to his own page as the Professor turned around. "Now, what do you believe are the features of Mizahar? Anyone?" Hands shot up and Pulren thought for a moment nad raised his as well. First, a young, plain looking woman said, "Lands?", which Reynard nodded. "Yes, lands are a great deal of the surface. Anyone else?" Looking at Pulren, Marsh then cleared his throat and said, "Mathews Bay?", which received a second nod.

"Yes, a bay is a feature as well. As are oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, mountains, hills and well, you get the drift. This class will be focusing on Syliran Geography, as we Zeltivans reside in the greater region of Sylira." As the professor turned and started to write, Pulren listened closely, his hand following as best as it was able.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on July 2nd, 2014, 6:32 pm

Reynard began to draw some strange figure on the board. Everyone's quills stopped scratching against paper and the room became very silent. The students watched in awe and confusion as the thing began to take form. It seemed to be some kind of creature, perhaps, its one eye massive and a large open maw showing a single snaggly tooth. Perhaps it was actually a side view of the creature and its mouth was open, though it seemed to have a great overbite. Pulren looked around to make sure he wasn't the only one gawking. He wasn't, though some were attempting to copy the shape as well.

Looking down at his pages, he didn't think he had the artistry to reproduce such a shape on one page, so he turned the page and began to try to draw as well, covering the span of two pages in the open book. Looking back at the figure, it now seemed to have two feet, the front foot incredibly massive and out of proportion with the other foot. Once the hindquarters, or lack thereof, were finished and the shape was complete, Pulren could only wonder how such a beast could ever shamble around. He wondered if it sat, could it ever get up again?

Reynard cleared his throat and looked at the class. "This", his eyes pointing to the massive creature on the board, "is the region of Sylira. Not a bad representation, if I do say so myself." The professor seemed pleased with himself until it was clear that his artwork was lost on the class. shaking his head, he pointed toward the belly of the beast, though it was a small gap between its legs. Pulren cringed internally when he thought about that. "This is you. Or, I should clarify, this is Zeltiva." His finger traced outward between the beast's legs toward the imagined ground. "Mathews Bay, a rather large body of water for an inlet." He could see more confusion, so he made marks at the creature's back and the back of its neck.

"Land continues here and here. To the north, we border the region of Taldera, to the west, the region of Cyphrus." A hand raised by a pretty girl drew the professor, and Pulren's attention. "What about the space in between to the northwest, Sir?" Nodding, Reynard continued and pointed. "Ah, yes. That's the Suvan Sea, a large inland sea on the continent of Mizahar. Pulren was still enjoying the features of his classmate, until she shot him a sideways glance. Then his focus fully returned to his own drawing and he wrote the words Cyphrus, Taldera and Suvan Sea in their respective spaces. Looking back at the board, he made a mark in the spot where Reynard had pointed out Zeltiva and then wrote out Mathews Bay in the long space between the Syliran beast's legs. His pages were filling up.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on July 8th, 2014, 11:30 pm

"We will discuss the other regions in future lectures. However, let us return our attention to Sylira for now." Reynard traced his finger back to the nefarious region which had become the representation of Zeltiva. "Now, as I must assume you are all aware, there is a road which leaves Zeltiva to the north. Does anyone know where this road leads?"

General silence until the pretty one raised her hand again. Pulren was equally interested in the result as well as listening to her speak and watching her mouth move. "Syliras, Sir?" Pulren hesitated, but looked back at the professor. "Indeed. Syliras is probably the largest city in the region. Of course, largest doesn't always mean the best. Zeltiva remains the most educated of the cities." Reynard tapped his nose and had a satisfied smirk on his face, but the joke was lost on Pulren. He wrote Syliras in the area that the professor wrote it.

Turning back to the lovely young lady, he asked, "Do you know, dear, what Syliras is best known for?" Without a break, she piped up, "Of course, Professor. The Knights!" Pulren's eyebrows raised, but it was no longer over his brief attraction. Looking back for more information , he listened hungrily to the words of the teacher. "Yes, indeed. The Syliran Knights are a well known organization of brave and noble men and women who are drawn to Syliras to become armed and armored protectors of Syliras and the region as a whole."

Pulren raised his hand. When Reynard nodded to him, he asked, "So, they are like the Wave Guard, but for Syliras?" A shrill chuckle came from the pretty girl, which turned Pulren's eye for less than happy reasons. Looking back at Reynard for validation, anger started to creep up his throat. Reynard stifled a bit of a grin, but replied, "On a grander scale, yes. We appreciate the actions of our city's sailor militia, but really, there isn't much comparison.

Pulren stood, directing his attention to everyone. "Well, speaking as a Wave Guard, I can tell you that we work hard, train hard and do all we can to keep all of you safe. Even as inferior sailors." He sat down and looked at his journal, the fumes of anger sliding up his face, trying to make their way to his tear ducts. He pushed the angry tears down, however. He wanted to try to explain the horrors of the Maiden's Voyage or the riots, but he didn't, preferring to focus harder on the lecture.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on August 2nd, 2014, 6:38 am

The class remained silent for a moment, the air thick with an awkward tension. The Professor cleared his throat, waving at Pulren to be seated while replying. "Of course, of course, boy. No disrespect intended. Perhaps you will meet a Knight one day and you will understand what I mean. We do appreciate your service." Reynard's look seemed to satisfy Pulren, who sat down and went about returning to the focus of paper and quill. Reynard nodded to himself and returned to the board.

Tapping at the leading leg of the beast, he made a small mark there, writing the word Sunberth to the right of it. Pulren followed suit, careful to conserve space as he did his best to copy the illustration. "Sunberth is a lawless town of criminals and bandits. Slavers and thugs make up the populace there. Not really something worth mentioning, since I doubt any of you would ever need or wat to visit such a place." Quickly moving on and up, he drew a small jagged circle in the ocean to the north of the leg. His writing was a bit more cautious and elegant as he wrote four letters, spelling Mura. "the white island of Mura, on the other hand, is a beautiful and mysterious place, home to two Goddesses and the beautiful Konti."

Seeming to catch himself in a mistake, another smaller circle was drawn directly above the leading foot. "It would be unwise to forget to mention Sahova, an island of research populated, for the most part, by the Nuit. As Zeltiva has an agreement and treaty with this island, I will leave the description there. Moving quickly and wordlessly to the eye of the geographical creature, a sigh escaped the old man's lips. "Lake Ravok. Floating in its center is the city of Ravok, a cultured place." Turning to the class at this point, his mouth opened as if he wished to say something, but his lips just seemed to stammer wordlessly, as if he had come down with a bout of dementia. He seemed to stare out the window, his mind traveling elsewhere as his eyes caught a slight glaze.

Snapping free of it, Reynard's shoulders slumped and his summation was brief. "That will be all for today. Before out next meeting, choose one of these cities and research about them at the library or by word of mouth. You will give a small speech on what you have found in your studies. That will suffice for today." So, just like that, it was over. Pulren left his journal open, fanning the ink on the pages so that the images wouldn't smear once the book was closed. His quill and ink secured, he gathered his materials and made his way to his dormitory.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Redd on August 20th, 2014, 6:48 am

Pulren Marsh

Knowledge :

Skills

Skill XP
Copying +1XP
Writing +2XP
Drawing +1XP
Observation +4XP

Lores
➢ No time to spare
➢ Quill: Scrape excess ink before scribing
➢ Drawing: A shape hard to reproduce
➢ Syliras Region: An odd looking creature
➢ The belly of the beast is Zeltiva
➢ Between the beast’s legs is Matthew’s Bay
➢ Taldera Region: Borders north of Syliras
➢ Cyphrus Region: Borders west of Syliras
➢ Suvan Sea: A large in-land sea
➢ North road from Zeltiva, leads to Syliras
➢ Zeltiva: Most educated city
➢ Syliras: Home of the knights
➢ Sunberth: A lawless city
➢ Mura: Home to the Konti
➢ Sahova: Island of research
➢ Ravok: A city floating on a lake

Micellaneous :

Injuries
➢ N/A
Loot/Expenses
➢ N/A

Notes

➢ Not much that I can give you in the way of skills, however there are plenty of lores that I can give you.

➢ I enjoyed this thread, especially when Pulren felt the need to stand up for the wave guards. Make sure that you do your homework Pulren. ;)

If you feel that I have left out something or made an error of some kind, please do not hesitate to contact me. If you have any questions or comments, again feel free to contact me. I don't bite, I swear. Also, remember to either delete your grade request or edit it as 'graded'.
Redd
The One-Eyed Wolf

Words: 425591
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2014, 1:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)