Cracks in the Glass (open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Raylin Sunsetfeather on October 2nd, 2010, 2:49 am

30 Fall 510 A.V.

Raylin stood over the hot furnace. Her bright red hair was tied up into a pony-tail so that it wouldn't get in her face. She pulled out a glob of molten glass from the furnace and carefully put the tip into a mold. She then put her lips to the end of the blow pipe and exhailed into it. A glass bubble formed at the end of the the pipe. The bubble then hit the sides of the mold and started to take its shape. The knot work symbols on the sides pushed into the glass. Ray took the end of the blower out and crafully cut a hole around the top. Then, using cold water, she dampped the outside of the box, thus alowing the glass bubble inside to cool down. Once the glass was hard, she removed the sides. There, infront of her, was a beautiful candle holder. Knot-work wraped around it. Raylin got out a glass and put some water in it, then went and sat down.

Something about being in the Amethyst Pavilion's glasswork studio made her feel at home. She figured it was probubly because it ment she got to do something she loved, and that was productive. She let out a happy sigh and then took a sip of water as she looked over at the funace.
Raylin Sunsetfeather
I sit between the montains and the plains.

Words: 34984
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2010, 1:05 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Dymphna on October 2nd, 2010, 8:23 pm

Dymphna had a list of things she was needing to gather for a healing kit, and in reality she was a little perturbed that she had to supply a few of the tools with her own little savings instead of getting hand-me-downs. Specifically she knew there were plenty of perfectly good unused jars at home that no one was using. Even with fall coming up and the dried herbs needing to be stored, she personally thought there were a few old beaten up ones she could make due with. Her vision of buying a horse this season was disappearing with each item added to her memorized list.

She stopped, transfixed for a moment by the furnace. She’d actually never been to this place to see how glass was made. Her lips pressed together a little as she looked around at all the strange tools and the sunlight filtering through the made wares. Her attention then turned onto the young woman drinking water. Dymphna smiled brightly at the sight of another redhead.

“Hello? Excuse me?”
Dymphna
Player

Words: 79238
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2010, 7:53 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Kayiri on October 2nd, 2010, 9:16 pm

Kayiri, due to her mother's current illness, was stuck with the boring job of going and buying some new glassware, after their last sent had fallen from its perch and broken into a million pieces. He hated running errands, but if it was for the good of his Pavilion, he supposed it had to be done. He strapped his ever-present sword to his waist, put his bow and quiver over his back, and set off on Serenity's back, enjoying the wind against his face as he rode through Endrykas.

Soon, he found himself at an Amethyst Glassworking Pavilion, climbing up onto the Pavilion and entering the nearest tent. After a quick conversation, he was sent to a different tent with a man of small stature, and the exchange of mizas for boxes of glasses and vases was made. Kayiri could at least be thankful that his mother had provided money for this, and he wasn't spending his own personal funds. With an exchange of thanks, he took the box and went to leave.

However, he caught two relatively attractive red headed women out of the corner of his eye. One of them was working at one of the furnaces, most likely making wares to stock the Pavilion, and the other was attempting to talk to her... or at least it look at what she was crafting. Hell, he wasn't in a hurry. He could spare time to talk with them. Kayiri stowed the box on a table off to his left, and approached the women, watching the one who was working with a curious gaze.

"I hate to be rude and interrupt your work, but what sort of piece are you making?" Kayiri asked as politely as he could. He had always been interested in the work of the artisans of his people, even if he was incapable of the patience they had for their crafts.
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Words: 114225
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 2:35 am
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Raylin Sunsetfeather on October 3rd, 2010, 12:04 am

Raylin jumped up from her chair and looked at the two people who had come to the studio.

"Hello." she said to both of them. Looking toward the man she said "I just finished a candle holder for a customer." Then she looked at both of them again. "My names is Raylin, Raylin SunsetFeather. Please, come in!" she said with a warm smile. She looked over to the woman, "How may I help you?" she asked.
Raylin Sunsetfeather

Character sheet

Postby Dymphna on October 4th, 2010, 10:20 pm

A rather dubious glance was cast at Kayiri as he came into the picture. She crossed her arms over her chest and waited for their conversation to pass, turning her head to look about a bit more. She wondered if maybe she’d be able to sit and watch glass being made if she asked.

Her attention turned back to Raylin. The smile she gave was as cheerful and bright as they came.

“Dymphna Whitefeather. I’m in the business of purchasing bottles. Little ones about yay tall.” She held up her fingers about three inches apart. “They need to be colored so the sun can’t get through them. I’m storing dried herbs. So they need to also have a cork or stopper to make them air-tight. Can you make them?”
Dymphna
Player

Character sheet

Postby Raylin Sunsetfeather on October 7th, 2010, 1:37 am

"It can be done. I recently got a shipment of corks and I've got some opaque glass that can be heated and shaped. It'll cost about 2 gold mizas a bottle." Raylin explained.

She put on some gloves and started to look through the bin of glass that could be recycled. These pieces were mostly from scraped projects, but also from glass pieces that were so damaged that they couldn't be repaired. As she searched she found 5 medium sized pieces of opaque glass. It was a nice crisp white, prefect for someone whos last name was Whitefeather.

"How many of these do you need?" Raylin asked.
Raylin Sunsetfeather

Character sheet

Postby Kayiri on October 7th, 2010, 2:31 am

The tall man leaned against the nearest support pole, folding his arms across his chest, his head bobbing silently as he listened idly to the noises around him. A sarcastic wink and grin was sent Dymphna's direction when she glanced at him. A low chuckle rolled out of his lips. Even though he hadn't even introduced himself, his playful attitude was apparent in his mannerisms.

Kayiri nodded as she spoke of the candle holder she had made, examining it with a curious gaze. "It looks like you indeed spent some time on it," he commented, smiling politely. "I am Kayiri Starweaver, proud Warrior of the Diamond Clan, instructor of a Riding and a basic Longsword skills class," Kayiri then introduced, bowing ever so slightly. He had included his professions simple because he could. Besides, its not like he could go wrong by telling them what he did for an honest living.
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Character sheet
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Dymphna on October 11th, 2010, 3:29 am

She considered what she’d just heard, giving it a tiny nod. Stepping over, she gave a closer examination of the glass.

Another glance was given to Kayiri when he chuckled. The only sign that she wasn’t annoyed by him was the smallest of smirks twitching at the corner of her lips. She looked him over fully then. “Nice to meet you.”

Then her attention turned back to the glass. The price was steep, and she wasn’t sure she wanted to part with that much of what little money she had.

“Oh. I need about fifteen. I’ll give you one gold miza a bottle, but I can’t go any higher than that. I can buy wine bottles that are much larger for two.”

She wasn’t sure that would work or not, but she was going to give it a go. She really couldn’t afford the asked price.
Dymphna
Player

Character sheet

Postby Raylin Sunsetfeather on October 12th, 2010, 1:24 am

Raylin thought for a moment about the girls reasoning. She had made a good point about the wine bottles. "Ok," she finaly said "One gold miza each."

She got out a metal ladle and put it on her work table as well as a glass cutter. "It's nice to meet you Kayiri. Unlike you, I am just a glassworker, though I also do tattooing on occasion." she said as she turned around to the man. "You can both stay and watch if you want." Raylin said as she motioned toward two chairs that were near where she had been sitting.

Raylin always enjoyed when she had people to talk to while she worked. There never seemed to be alot of people at the studio and today very few people had come to work. She had been the only one there in the past few hours, and the emptiness was beging to wear on her.
Raylin Sunsetfeather

Character sheet

Postby Kayiri on October 13th, 2010, 1:07 am

"Likewise, miss," Kayiri said, nodding his head towards Dymphna, a smile at his lips. When Raylin brought up tattooing, the Drykas let out a chuckle. "Ah, tattooing! Marking the bodies of our warriors with the stories of their battles so that they may be forever remembered. An honorable mix of professions indeed!" the Drykas beamed at her, shifting ever so slightly so the Wind Mark on his arm was apparent. He was obviously proud of this tattoo, despite the fact it had been marred ever so slightly by scar tissue in the pattern of a Zith claw strike.

When the offer to sit was made, Kayiri took it silently, nodding in thanks as he settled down into the chair. Only then did he speak. "Thank you for the offer. I've always been interested in how exactly this art is performed. Should be an experience. Not to mention, doing anything in good company is always welcome," Kayiri took the sheathed sword from his back, placing it on the floor next to his chair, easily within arm's reach. The instinct was present, even when he was relaxed. A hand brushed some loose hair back, and he took down his pony tail, letting the long brown hair fall down around his shoulders. He shook it once or twice, grumbling as he worked to put it back up.
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Character sheet
Trash Medal (1)

Next