NaNoWriMo synopses

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum you can find and share resources and advice for writing a post, novel or any other form of prose.

Re: NaNoWriMo synopses

Postby Duskshroud on October 5th, 2009, 7:10 pm

This looks really interesting - I think I might need to brainstorm something special for this.
Duskshroud
Player

Words: 4404
Joined roleplay: August 11th, 2009, 12:31 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Postby Owen Westley on October 6th, 2009, 6:37 pm

I was wondering if the time before the Valterrian is up for interpretation? It would serve as the prefect backdrop for my novel. It might also give a little lore to my current PC who goes by the same name.

I know there are two main rulers, but are there other cities? I don't want to muck up anything. However I feel that Emperor Galifer is the perfect backdrop for something I have planned.
Owen Westley
Player

Words: 4453
Joined roleplay: August 10th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Human

Postby Gossamer on October 6th, 2009, 7:23 pm

It just depends on what you want to do, Jeff. Some things are very well fleshed out pre-Valterrian, and some things are very open. The two main cities were capital cities, but there were other cities that lay in ruins throughout mizahar currently. We haven't named them because we thought it was more important to do 'current' development than background development.

What did you have in mind?
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Owen Westley on October 6th, 2009, 7:32 pm

I have read the Valterrian lore and it talks of the love hate relationship between the two empires. (Love it) The major cities will come into play, but only as background info. The majority of the story will take place throughout the countryside of both nations.

I guess just knowing a few of ruined cities would help.

Any guess on the major race of the time?
Owen Westley
Player

Postby Gossamer on October 6th, 2009, 8:33 pm

Humans! They dominated everything. And your idea sounds fine to me. If you want to say a city was a certain place, thats fine... we can roughly equate it and make it ruins in the modern world. Or we can give you a few names. I have some cities for Suvan, but nothing is on the wiki about them yet.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Owen Westley on October 6th, 2009, 8:53 pm

In doing a little seach and re-search, I found what might equate to former cites (well at least from the wiki p.o.v.)

Alahea Empire
Sunbreath
Zeltiva
Hazadhar
Eloab
Ahnatep

Suvan Empire
Denval
Zinrah
Sultros
Taloba
Owen Westley
Player

Postby Gossamer on October 6th, 2009, 9:15 pm

Those are all active cities. They survived the Cataclysm.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Malia on October 12th, 2009, 8:22 pm

I did register just today. Guess I just wanted not to be too influenced or sth like that. Anyway, I'm there, I'm going to add Goss and Tarot since they have revealed their nicknames. If anyone else has registered, I'd be happy to add them to my buddy list. :)

Oh, and my nick is Acile.
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Nor on October 16th, 2009, 10:06 pm

(Right, here is the first draft of my introduction to Norvan. I'll probably change this as I go. Oh and this chapter is called Gets in your...)

Rain. Gets in your clothes. Gets in your hair. Gets in your skin. Gets in your... he carried on. The rain felt like punishment for something he had never done. Unless it was meant for any of the other sixty men and women he travelled with. The Benshira caravan had been travelling for two weeks now, the rain starting the moment they set foot off the ferry in Falyndar.
“When will it fucking end!?!” a high voice shouted from behind. Shifting in the saddle he turned around to the couple that had been arguing for what seemed the entire journey.
“I don't know!” he said quietly almost a whisper before gesturing to their travelling companions. “Your making a fool of yourself and of me.”
“And what's that meant to mean?” she relied in the way only a woman seems to, knowing exactly what he meant but still asking anyway. Shifting around again he kicked the thighs of his horse and moved forward out of ear shot. Around him the others in the caravan sat hunched and disappointed in their carts, he could understand their disappointment. This trip to sell valuable cloths had only meant to take a week, but three days in the guide caught the rot, in the middle of the jungle and before he could tell anyone which way to go a mud slide killed him and the everyone in cart with him. That wasn't what brought the tension though, he could taste it in the air. The rumours of what happened to humans caught here had a little to do with it, but he could taste something else. There was a loud snap and suddenly the caravan was brought to a halt. Looking up he could see one of the carts wheels had snapped and was blocking the trail ahead. Kicking his horse he galloped to the cart. Its axis was in bad shape, the wood had twisted and even if they could replace the wheel the axis would need to be replaced. He gave an inward chuckle at the idea of being surrounded by wood, but all of it being too wet to use. So much for fall being the end of the rainy season.
“So...Boss. What do we do now?” a voice from his left said. Gretchen. A small man by any counts, mentally as well, never looking beyond his dick or how much coin he could get.
“Take the goods, dismantle the cart and load it on another.”
“The carts won't take any more. We started out with too much at the beginning, even if they got out,” he motioned to the caravan, “and walked we wouldn't make it a mile. Besides they'd kill us first than walk in this.” he replied before slivering off to the back of caravan to get people to help. For all his vices he had at least one saving grace and that was he was very good at 'persuading' people to do what he asked. Just as he was about to get off his horse there was a scream at the back of the caravan. Before he could turn his horse everyone started screaming. He felt something hit in the stomach and suddenly he was off his horse, with his back on the mud. Above him the air shook with the passing of bolts splitting the air. A man walked past him, a bolt lodged into his throat, his eyes bulged almost out of their sockets as he gave a silent scream. Another bolt hit him in the shoulder and he was sent twirling through the air. Searching with his hands he found where the bolt had hit him. He found the shaft embedded into his right arm. Using both hands he grabbed the bolt, slick with water and pulled hard. The bolt left his shoulder with an audible pop sending torrents of pain throughout his body. He lay there for a second letting the pain wake his body. The screams stopped and the only sound that could be heard was moan of pain. The sound of bushes rustling from behind stopped him from moving. A leg stepped over him, followed by a slender body with slick with water, like a snake. There was more of them, converging if front of him around twenty of thirty he guessed.
“Well done children.” a man in the centre said addressing the people around her. “Search the carts for-”
“Father!” A voice said to his right, turning his head slightly he saw a male warrior, his arm wrapped around a head. Gretchen. “I found this one hiding amongst them dead.” he said before throwing him in front of the woman in the centre.
“P-please! Mercy, I beg of you!” He shrieked as they surrounded him.
“You will not die like the others.” the woman in the centre said, he voice distinct with command and authority.
“Thank you, thank you!”he spluttered out amongst his over praises and worship. As he watched Gretchen he strangely felt sorry for Gretchen.
“Yours will be the first body fed to the children.” he said, just as a group of males converged on him, binding his hands and feet, while he screamed the whole time. Diverting his eyes from Gretchen's struggle he began to shuffle backwards towards the jungle, a face loomed over his. Snake eyes stared straight into his as the dagger in his hands split the eye in half. The face arched backwards before screaming out in pain. Scrambling up he grabbed the Dhani by the arm and through him towards the group. He ran as fast as he could, leaving the trail and caravan behind him. The air around him split and the trees in front of him exploded with the impact of the bolts as the impacted, showering him in splinters. Then he was out of the jungle again, but before eh could stop he was falling. Water rushed up to meet him and suddenly it was dark.

Gets in your clothes. Gets in your hair. Gets in your skin. Gets in your...

(Right this is just a teaser, and I probably won't post any more till I'm done. I just wanted to know what you thought.)
If your dads Frankenstein and I'm a Vampire, why are you a Werewolf?

Nor
Player

Words: 3001
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2009, 8:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human, Mixed

Postby Liminal on October 27th, 2009, 2:27 pm

For my NaNoWriMo entry, I'm going to write an actual IC book -- Kenabelle Wright's An Account of the Circumnavigation of Mizahar. I've played with it before, and even written a few pages, but I've got a much better idea of how to make it work now. It should also, incidentally, help me do a fair amount of world development, particularly in the western, less-fleshed-out part of Mizahar.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

PreviousNext