NaNoWriMo synopses

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum you can find and share resources and advice for writing a post, novel or any other form of prose.

NaNoWriMo synopses

Postby Tarot on September 22nd, 2009, 9:24 pm

This thread is for sharing a trailer of your NaNoWriMo story if you'd like to! So, about my entry... my newly registered handle on the site is TheItalianTurk. Add me to your writing buddies when you sign up!

My story will be a pre-Valterrian tale about Sahgal the Benshira, the exceptionally talented wizard who would later be known as Sagallius. Grown in the tents as a prodigy, more and more of the desert folk believe he is destined to be Yahal's envoy on Mizahar, the liberator from Eypharian tyranny. In truth, Sahgal is just a young man who's had a very easy life thanks to his magic and reputation, and is completely allergic to duty and responsibility.

Running away from his mainland - and pursued by the supposed love of his life - Sahgal experiences the harsh Alahean reality, an Empire standing on the verge of collapse but held together by its immense pride. Naive in the ways of the world, he gets into deeper and deeper trouble until fate sets him on a collision route with Rupert Pycon, the Court Mage of Alahea...
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Re: NaNoWriMo Synopses

Postby Gossamer on September 23rd, 2009, 7:13 am

Tarot, your NaNoWriMo name cracks me up. I have created an account there 'Centaurheart' but I haven't actually logged on yet or did all the linking and pre-NaNoWriMo community gear up stuff. But... you want a synopses? *lol* Okay.. okay.. For some reason, I'd be really shocked if you didn't write about Sagallius.

For my story, I originally wanted to write Kova and Ivak's story. Heck, I might still do so. The problem with that, however, is there's no surprise ending... no twist, no turns, its all laid out how it ends. She dies. He is imprisoned. The tale itself is epic and tragic, but that leaves me a little put out because my favorite types of stories are the ones that I cannot guess the end. That's why it annoys me to know end when people 'dont bother reading the book but read the jacket and the last few pages...' That's just sick! And writing Kova and Ivak's story is a lot like that. We know how it ends for the Queen. Ivak's story is still being told, PC wise, and I don't want to infringe on that at all either. :)

So, in writing for my PC, I've found a lot of information coming forth on the kelvics and more to the point Marcus Kelvic. Plus, with all the kelvics roaming the game, its fun to really see how they are played and what they evolve into. So, why not write about something almost no one knows about? Marcus Kelvic's story... from the perspective of the first Kelvic. Who was he or she? Why were they created? Everyone knows the accepted norm might not be the whole of the truth or even part of it. How did he use familiarity and morphing to create these creatures, and why are they just mimics of humanity with very little humaness of their own until they bond? What in the hell was he actually thinking when he did what he did... or did he do it at all? How can someone be so powerful that they can, as a mortal, found an entirely new race? Too many questions, most of which I don't know the answers too. But like most things, they will shine forth in the plot. Ironrock will become a real place for me for a month, and the events therein hopefully will become game canon.

Now... if I could only tie such an epic adventure to my pc to get some XP for it! Okay, okay.. I know the whole beggars would ride and pigs would fly.... so we'll settle for just telling an epic (or not so epic) tale instead.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Re: NaNoWriMo synopses

Postby Malia on September 23rd, 2009, 9:43 am

My story is still in the plotting phase, but I think I might share my essential idea and concept.

It's about an Akvatari girl who wants to spread art and writing/books and bring it to all those people who aren't really interested in it/don't have time for it. Of course there's an inner conflict that everyone here knows and understands, but there should also be some epic elements about the story: She wants to reach perfectionism, but the goddess of writers (I forgot the name ...) is against it, because perfectionism is a privilege of the gods, naturally. The last element for perfectionism is the "last word" that she has to find while escaping the goddesses minions.

That would be a synopsis of the plot as I've planned it now, but it might change into something completely different as I go on.
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Voco on September 27th, 2009, 12:22 am

I really want to write Vuld Shaik's "Magic and I"... but those damn XPs! I just imagine what Voco could start doing if he got some crazy numbers in both Glyphing and Summoning. I want to be the guy that Level 4 of Summoning mentions, knowing and having pissed off creatures from hundreds of other planets. So, I'm going to stick with Voco.

Right now, the basic idea of the plot is in my head. Voco has been hired by a local (Zeltiva) alchemy instructor/practitioner. He is attempting to make a catalog of the various possible ingredients that can be gained from Anashis. The alchemist knows of Anashis, but not the coordinates which Voco protects at all costs. To those extents, and the fact that summoning some of the creatures from Anashis is risky business, Voco has hired a Myrian to act as a guard.

There are a few close calls, but everything is going fine. Voco is summoning creatures, the Myrian gets to kill some of them and make money, and the alchemist gets his ingredients. Everyone is happy. Until one day, Voco summons something unexpected. Not a creature, but a note. Written in a style of Glyphing he has never seen before. Things escalate from there, with Voco learning what they mean, summoning further notes, learning about Fort Nivar on Anashis, and eventually performing multiple reverse Summonings, visiting Fort Nivar. Ultimately, Voco will reestablish contact with Fort Nivar and its Alehean descendants, acquire mad XPs, and possibly gain a lot of money and fame. Huzzah for greed!

But, lore wise, I'll be able to add alot to various magics, like Glyphing, Summoning, Alchemy, Reinmancy, Auristics. I'll also be adding obviously to Fort Nivar and Anashis, but also some to Zeltiva, and to Alehea. It should be enjoyable, judging by the fun I've been having with Voco so far.

I do have one question those, for those of us writing for a PC. Skill progression. Voco will probably learn Auristics, and maybe even some Reinmancy of his own during this. But, I'll need to know what would be the acceptable amounts of XPs he might be able to learn during the whole thing, so I can judge his skill level. I'm not saying like 50 points or anything, but 10? 15? 25? I'm not really sure what is reasonable, so I leave that up to other people.
Voco
Form Finder

Words: 6512
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2009, 8:50 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Syfec Morbus on October 5th, 2009, 1:07 am

I was originally planning on writing up a badass history for Kerowyn and restarting him based on where my novel ended. Buuuuuttttt, nothing really exciting was coming to mind for that sort of thing so I was just going to write a plot less, boring story about nothing exciting. But then, just a few hours ago, or maybe it was while I was drifting in and out of consciousness from 12 to 3 last night, I got an idea for a story about Syfec. Right now it's just a super basic idea and I'll be determining the details as I think it out a little more (and explore the lore section for ideas).

So, Syfec will be exploring some ruins of a pre-valterrian city or altar or something(one of the undecided details) that he located by using the maps he acquired in this thread. So he goes in, fights some over sized arachnids(or something. It will be a rather exciting dungeon delve though), and unearths this artifact created in deep BV. It's basically the epitome of wizardry-badassery. So this thing can basically make all his dreams of power come true. He takes it home an starts researching/figuring it out.

Then, a problem arises. There is another being that wants this artifact(Some kind of evil, otherworldly thing) and he kidnaps Syfec's ex-girlfriend and holds her hostage in an attempt to get this artifact. Now, you have to understand something about Syfec for this to make sense. Basically, Syfec and this girl were really absolutely in love. The only reason they didn't make it is because their relationship was just a natural victim of (indirectly) Syfec's lust for power and (directly) him disobeying and being disowned by his parents(I'm thinking she was a part of high society too, and he couldn't bring himself to make her give up her life as well to follow him. Or something like that).

Anyways, now he's left with this choice between the love of his life, and the immediate realization of his life's goal.

Still have a lot of things to figure out about it. Naturally he'l try to get around having to make that decision, but in the end I think he'll have to choose. If you have ideas or input or anything, PM me. I'd love to hear it.

EDIT: I second Voco's question.
Syfec Morbus
Freelance Reimancer

Words: 13441
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2009, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Owen Westley on October 5th, 2009, 4:08 am

Well now, where to begin. I'm all giddy with excitement and anticipation.

First off, I am stealing a name I have always loved for the title: The Huntsman. Hopefully a certain person, who shall remain nameless, won't mind.

Secondly, the story is the tragedy that befell a young man named Owen Westley (man where do I come up with these awe inspiring names). While away fighting for his king, Owen's family was killed. Through a series of events, he learns the identity of those involved. With his life forever changed, he takes on the persona of The Huntman, a bounty hunter driven to hunt down men. My goal is to tell the story through a series of flashbacks. The beginning of the story will find Owen in a hangman's noose. Awaiting the signal for him to die, the events unfold.

Finally, I thought about adding my own brand of humorless humor, sarcastic banter, and overwhelming stench of morbidity.

Oh, one more thing. You can add "eldrewden" as a writing buddy.
Owen Westley
Player

Words: 4453
Joined roleplay: August 10th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Human

Postby Gossamer on October 5th, 2009, 4:44 am

I'm sure my he won't mind, Owen. :) He'll be flattered. He's about as even tempered as I am bad tempered, which is probably i why I married him irl years ago. Balance is always important. Just one thing... Mizahar has no kings post Valterrian, unless Owen is REALLLLLYYYYY OLD (about 509 years that is). Otherwise, the tale sounds great, so too does the way you want to do it - through a series of flashbacks. I love stories that give you bits and pieces like a puzzle then lays it all out in the end. I also love how your avatar and banner foo has progressed from where it was with that adorable little free spirited PC to what you use nowadays.

So has everyone created accounts? We should all link together!
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Malia on October 5th, 2009, 5:27 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm not going to create such an account. Firstly, because I'm from a whole different continent than you (I'd register at the site of my country rather than yours), and secondly, because I want to do this only for me and for Mizahar.

If someone wants to read my stuff, however, I'll be happy to send it to them privately or open a thread. And I'd like to read your stuff too. :)
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Tarot on October 5th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Just to clarify, NaNoWriMo won't publish anything on their site - you just paste the novel (or a scrambled version of it if you are uncomfortable with the idea) into a text field to validate the word count and that's it, but they don't retain any text. You can choose to put a short snippet on your profile, which most people do, but even that is not mandatory. You do need the account if you want to be eligible for their "winner" offers, which should include binding and sending you the book when it's done (at least it was this way until last year).

Also, there is only one site as far as I know. You can choose your home region and have access to area-specific forums, though. :)
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Gossamer on October 5th, 2009, 6:49 pm

If your going to write, you might as well get the perks of getting your book bound and sent to you. Amazon does that I believe, not NaNoWriMo, according to my friend Liz who showed her copy of winning last year to Gillar, who said it was an absolutely beautiful professional book. NaNoWriMo gives you a certificate, and you give your material to amazon along with the registration certificate numbers. There are people who have done NaNoWriMo for years and have ten different books. :) Tarot is right... there's only one site that people all over the world use.. and its just used for writing support and tracking word count.

I just got scheduled for my carpal tunnel surgery today for the 25th of November, so I have five shorter days than everyone else... I need to get busy fast!
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next