Closed Faded Roses [Sevonne]

Adelaide finds a mess in the Rose Garden

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Faded Roses [Sevonne]

Postby Adelaide Sitai on August 26th, 2014, 3:03 pm

84th Summer 514AV
Late Afternoon

The Season was drawing to a close, and though Adelaide felt this knowledge strongly, the air was still heavy with Summer, sticky with the end of Summer feeling. A season like any other in Kenash - Adelaide never liked it when Spring faded away, signalling the almost unbearable heat that walked hand in hand with the next season. That is not to say that she didn't enjoy the Summer, much in the same way that she held no issue with the Autumn, when everything seemed to go tremendously quickly through the harvest days. When even she had, in the past, found herself out in the fields, indicating to the slaves where they ought to be. Every year was the same. However, in the last Season, she was overcome by the feeling that she had not done anything useful... that she had already wasted eighty-four days, in spite of the time spent helping prepare Maya for marriage, organising a Party for any dynasty member who wished to attend and setting about the preparations for re-decorating the upper level of the Mansion. On paper, she had been productive. In her mind, however, she felt like she had languished through the Summer like some sort of leech off her family. Such a thing was intolerable to the proud young woman, especially when seeing the amount of effort her Uncle Dervain put into his work and seeing how being magistrate had taxed him.

That day had certainly not been very laborious. Adelaide had taken breakfast with her Grandmother, Uncle and Father before Dervain went off to the city and Roland and Yatmina retired to their rooms, Roland announcing that he had almost finished his book (for perhaps the seventh time that year) before Adelaide went off to speak to the servants about that evening's meal and arranging a bedroom to be prepared for some merchant friend of her Father's who could arrive at any point within the next few days. Since Lunch, she had taken refuge in her own room - starting to brainwave the idea for a play she had... though the more she fleshed it out, the more she felt that such a play would probably anger quite a few people.

"And such is life." she murmured, writing down something or other about a character's unreasonable apathy for another.

It was then that she started hearing shouting outside of her window, coming from the Rose Garden. With a little start, she stood up and crossed the room, momentarily blinded by the sunlight coming in through the pane.

"What is going on?" she called irritably to one of the gardeners, who didn't seem to hear her as the shouting continued, and a group of gardeners (what looked to be most of the gardeners) started gathering around.

With a small sigh as the shouting finally faded away, Adelaide turned around and returned to her desk, going back to what she was doing. "A great number of small factions can only cause division and, ultimately, tragedy." she wrote down hurriedly.

Then the shouting started again. This time, she was feeling more than a little irritable.

"What is going on down there?" she called again.

As no answer came and the shouting only increased, she realised that it was her duty to investigate. Five chimes later, she had found her shoes (they had been under her bed) and slipped them on. And she'd thought that she was going to be able to have a day when something wouldn't go wrong for once. A day where there would be calm at the Bloodflower House and, most of her duties carried out, she could take an afternoon for herself before dinner. How silly she had been.
Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Faded Roses [Sevonne]

Postby Sevonne on September 23rd, 2014, 5:08 am

84 Summer 514
Late Afternoon

Silence. It seemed the closest thing to gold that Sevonne would ever hold. And after the last month, she treasured it. So much talk. So much arguing. Discussion, negotiation, instruction, mediation, gossip, on and on and on with out end it went; at the auction hall, during orientation and her training. It seemed that her new life at Bloodflower, though she was content with it, had begun in an almost ceaseless cacophony of voices. And so it was that she found herself particularly grateful for simple silence as she sat, knees tucked nimbly beneath her skirt, in the rose garden.

Delighting in the velvety feel of delicate leaves between her fingers, and even in the occasional prick of a stray thorn here and there, she deftly snipped away at the bushy shrub before her. Adroitly she pruned away any wily outcropping and browning leaves from the wurley of heavily scented underbrush, carefully setting aside any clipping which could be viably rooted, and blissfully savoring the natural quiet that pervaded the late afternoon hours. With all of the recent commotion, the Kelvic lass had been afforded precious little time to think. And it seemed that processing the life which she had been newly given was sorely overdue. Her thoughts were, after all, the only things which she truly and rightly owned. And she found sorting through them on occasion to be an absolutely necessary aspect of contentment.

Thinking now, while she had the chance, Sevonne decided upon several things:
Being forcefully branded was more than a mite irksome, but she was thankful that the design was at least one which she could admire.
Miss Adelaide was undoubtedly on her (extremely short) list of most favorite people for securing her such a winsome and palatable existence, as well as a job which incorporated her talents and interests.
The house cats were snobby, but the other slaves were nice enough.
And, for once, she found that she actually enjoyed her life.
With a soft smile Sevonne lightly traced the raised rose brand that marked her as property of the Sitai family and mouthed a silent prayer of gratitude and adoration to Nikali for her good fortune.

Even before the words had faded from her lips, the reverent silence which she had cherished so fleetingly was shattered. From around the bend of the garden, deep, bravado shouting could be heard echoing farther down the path. Indignation and apprehension twisted in the depths of her stomach. If they were not careful, they would stir the Masters. Touching the brand again she set her eyes resolutely on the flowery bushes before her and returned, with zeal, to carefully tending her duties. Slowly she continued. A snip here, a flinch there, a dodgy glance toward the commotion every once in a while. Chimes passed and still the shouting persisted. And slowly Sevonne found herself doing more and more glancing and less and less snipping. The longer she tried to focus, the stronger her growing sense of curiosity became, until it gnawed at the edges of her mind.

Scooting down little by little Sevonne tended the obviously needful areas of each bush as she inched her way closer to the gathering of gardeners. The words being exchanged were barely discernable as she tried to peek through the mass of skirts and trousers that surrounded the ruckus. Even as she gawked at the spectacle she worked to carefully cultivate the roses skirting her vantage point, until - with a collective gasp from the bystanders - the shouting broke into physical fighting, sending one of the men tumbling into the carefully manicured vegetation. Shrieking in horror, Sevonne watched helplessly as the painstakingly perfected shrubbery crumpled and fractured beneath the weight of the man.

In a flurry of motion and commotion the group scattered, some rushing to help the man up while others scurried away to appear busy and uninvolved. In mere moments all that was left of the confrontation was a gaping, crushed and splintered, hole where once a pristine Damask rose bush had flourished. Mouth agape Sevonne simply stared, dumbfounded, at the travesty, pruning snips frozen mid-motion. This was bad...

OOCI am SO sorry that this has taken me so long. Work was SUPER crazy for the first three weeks. It turns out opening a business isn't as easy as people think. Lol. But on the bright side things have settled down and I'm able to be much more available and attentive now.
Last edited by Sevonne on September 27th, 2014, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sevonne
Player

Words: 7358
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2013, 12:03 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Faded Roses [Sevonne]

Postby Adelaide Sitai on September 25th, 2014, 7:46 pm

When Adelaide touched down into the garden, the area was practically deserted. The signs of a scuffle were evident in broken stalks and hollow bushes, but particularly in the wake of a hole, something which caused Adelaide's mouth to purse. In truth, she considered herself quite a benign slave owner: that she be disturbed by some sort of noise, she could forgive with a warning, but that Sitai property be damaged, and that that property should cast a stain on the prized Sitai rose garden... she had to take action.

Looking around for a culprit, gaze sweeping over packed rose bushes and gardeners who all seemed very occupied with whatever it is they were doing, her eyes fell on the cat-like Kelvic, Sevonne. The one which she had purchased earlier that Season in order to aid the gardener. The young woman had her mouth open and seemed transfixed by the sight of the bush, or rather lack of bush. Adelaide tried not to let her anger dissipate as she turned towards the animal.

"Sevonne!" her voice barked like an order, "What is this?"

Then, as the young woman seemed speechless, Adelaide continued, her voice less harsh but more impatient, as though she were chiding the girl.

"Now, really. In order to alleviate any suspicion off yourself, and believe me when I say that you wouldn't want to be a suspect, you need to tell me all you know and exactly what happened. I can't fathom that this sort of behaviour should be allowed to go unpunished!"

There was a pause then, in which Adelaide testily blew a stray lock of her out of her dark eyes, even as she put her hand up to block out the sun's rays and to better see the newly bought slave. She was about to chide her again, but decided that that would not be for the best since it would only make her even more nervous. After all, if she were to be of any use, she had to feel comfortable with her master's presence and trust that her master would act justly. Still, heads would roll (probably metaphorically) for the vandalism imparted on the garden and the young Sitai was eager that it should not be her own.
Adelaide Sitai
It is easier to look the other way...

Words: 331327
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2013, 4:10 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Faded Roses [Sevonne]

Postby Sevonne on September 26th, 2014, 6:00 pm

84 Summer 514
Late Afternoon

At first Sevonne chuckled - a cold, nervous little sound devoid of any actual humor - but as it was inferred that Sevonne herself might fall under suspicion, an indignant frown spread across her features. "Why I..." she started in an insulted and rather impetuous tone. Inwardly she pouted a bit that such a thing would even be suggested. She would never treat such opulent floriculture so carelessly. "I would never." she continued in a much softer voice, mentally checking the manner in which she addressed Miss Sitai. "I know the value of a carefully cultivated rose. And it is far too high, especially with in Kenash's largest and most prestigious garden, to risk possibly damaging such a delicate and costly asset over something as silly as a fist fight." Sevonne's voice was a velvet purr as she reassured the woman of her purest intentions... and slipped in touch of blatant adulation. Flattery always seemed the perfect lubrication to grease the wheels of Dynasty Society.
Sevonne's eyes flicked over to one of the men who'd been involved, who she supposed to be the aggressor from what little she'd made out. Her gaze rested on him poignantly for an extended period of time before she turned to meet Adelaide's gaze briefly. She hoped that Adelaide would catch her meaning. Naming names would undoubtedly not sit well with the other slaves, but beating around the bush may sit equally unwell with the Family. Either way, Sevonne feared she might end up with a beating.
Turning back toward the man she mused suggestively, "One would think that an experienced person would know, well enough, to keep their squabbles within the bounds of their chambers, and well out of sight. So disgraceful." With pursed lips she turned back to her Mistress, this time keeping her gaze respectfully low, "I'm sorry, Ma'am. but I couldn't see much through the crowd that gathered. If I may, I would respectfully suggest that anyone wishing to learn more about what happened speak with a few of the others who were closer to the argument." Again her gaze flicked to the man working quietly off to her left across the garden; a buff and scruffy looking older man who, if Sevonne had heard (and remembered) correctly, had been moved to the garden from the fields a few seasons ago to hone and refine his abilities.
With a gentle shrug she angled herself so as to continue working without showing her Mistress the disrespect of turning away, "Or perhaps one might look for the person on the receiving end of things. Black eye. Thorns in his posterior. Though if he's smart I reckon he'll lay low, and avoid being treated by the doctor. As for the Damasks," she flashed Adelaide a pretty smile, showing off her feline-esque cuspids and belying the cavalier, cocky confidence that was usually so well hidden, as she gestured toward the splintered bush, "I believe I can fix it... given the appropriate time and tools... if you would allow it, Ma'am. I doubt it would be quite as good as new, but much less of an eye sore for the Family. Unless of course to say so is too bold. In which case you have my sincerest apologies and deepest repentance." Sevonne bowed, at least as well as she could from her seated position, her forehead brushing the low, lush greenery surrounding her. Demurely she smiled up at her Mistress, singularly and unfathomably eager to please as an undeniable, needful longing prodded her from the pit of her being.
Sevonne
Player

Words: 7358
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2013, 12:03 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Faded Roses [Sevonne]

Postby Orin Fenix on September 9th, 2015, 11:16 pm

Grades are Served

Adelaide Sitai
Skill XP
Observation 2
Planning 1
Storytelling 1
Writing 1
Composition 1
Intelligence 1
Investigation 2
Interrogation 2
Intimidation 1
Leadership 1

Lores
  • Kenash: Feeling the Summer Heat
  • Failing the Family
  • Interrogation: Asking Basic Questions
  • Yet another interruption
  • Investigation: Intimidating a witness
  • Destruction in the rose garden
  • Sevonne: Cat Kelvic Slave
  • Sevonne: Witness to the Crime
Extras :
I wasn't sure whether the script she was working on was the same one as in her inventory. If it's not, please indicate where she was writing it in your inventory.

This was a really lovely start to what could've been a great thread! Sorry that it got abandoned but Adelaide is a fantastic character. Can't wait to see what you do with her.

Sevonne
Sevonne if you ever return to Mizahar please PM me and I'll happily award you your grades.

Don't forget to edit or delete your grade request in the grade request thread.

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to send me a message.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)