Closed Purpose of a Broken Man [Fall 15, 514AV]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Purpose of a Broken Man [Fall 15, 514AV]

Postby Krah'ge Hawrath on October 24th, 2014, 4:00 am

"How can one measure the worth of a man? A man can fight a thousand battles, reap a thousand harvests, win a thousand duels and yet history will bury his name in the winding sands of time. The answer is simple, purpose. Men of purpose are destined to become immortal, sparred death betwixt the pages of history. Like a coffin that never closes, your face will never fade from the threads of time if you live with a purpose.

Carrying on your family's good name, to become the greatest artist who ever lived, to command the greatest armies ever known. Purposes that have each been used to sow the names of ghosts into the fabrics of history throughout eternity. I had once lived with purpose, once dreamed of a life driven by the will to create and glorify.

That life was stripped from me long ago. A broken man writes these words today, a man whose purpose has been made synonymous with his master's. A man destined for more than the life he has been bestowed. How does one such as I live with purpose? Meditation under the dark skies of the tent city, prayers to false gods, words with wise old women...nothing has yielded the answer to the one question I find impossible to answer.

What is the purpose of a broken man?" - Krah'ge Hawrath, Journal Excerpt

___________________________________________________________________________________________

The cave was alive. It shuttered with every echoing drumbeat from beyond the veil of darkness that engulfed the corridor. It called for his blood with the mocking voices of the living damned; each speaking as a unified voice that beckoned him forward like a cackling demon.

"Krah'ge" the demon cave cried over and over; a child awaiting the nourishment of death and torn flesh that it so desperately craved. Still, the young slave kept his pace behind the dim light guiding him to the graveyard that awaited him. Every thread of his being wanted to rip the torch from the skeletal arm holding it and beat the elderly guide savagely with the blunt stick. Beat him until his slaving head caved in and his dirty blood flowed like a river down this dark chasm. Slavery had already torn a gaping void in Krah'ges' humanity, why should he spare what little he had left on a savage old man like Jacen?

"I can feel your eyes on me boy." spat the guide of death from the head of the column leading Krah'ge to the arena "Or should I say your eye" the old man snickered, turning a gaze of pure fire in the direction of his organic property.

Krah'ge gave a single chuckle, his left eye flinching from the memory of its blinding at the hands of Jacen. The dark burns from the coals were still so tender that a small gust of wind gave him searing pains across his whole face.

"If you wanted me to die today, Jacen, you should have taken more than just my eye."

The impact of the back of the slave owners hand echoed down the corridor, outmatching even the chants from the arena. "You will watch your tongue, boy. Your glory in the arenas made me a wealthier man, but you have become more trouble than your worth." grabbing the slave's chin, Jacen looked him straight in the eyes; his face close enough that the stench of rotten meat in his teeth threatened to gag Krah'ge.

"You will die today, boy, don't you doubt that. You are a broken property and I have no use for useless property" Jacen snarled, the white hairs festering from his nostrils abundantly clear in the torchlight.

"I'll have your head, Jacen!" Krah'ge screamed, lunging forward at his owner only to be hauled back by the chains binding his wrists to the burly human men behind him.

"You won't live long enough to see me again, boy. Bring him quickly, the betting fools are waiting."

"Krah'ge! Krah'ge! Krah'ge!" continued the chanting of the sad souls who occupied these bloody tunnels. The dark tunnels contentiously got smaller as Krah'ge was pushed farther into the gut of the beast, the small light at the end of the long tunnel growing like the burning hatred that was alight within the young slave. When he reached the other side, hell would be right behind him.
ImageImageImage Image
Krah'ge Hawrath
The Wrathful

Words: 5394
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2014, 6:48 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet

Purpose of a Broken Man [Fall 15, 514AV]

Postby Dor'gen on October 27th, 2014, 6:34 am

Fall 15, 514 AV

The Blood Pits...

It was a place that truly spoke to the Savage that laid just underneath the surface. Although the passage of time had dropped mountains of wisdom and calm upon the dark-skinned warrior, his blood still burned hot with a desire to fight. At times, it mattered not who the unfortunate soul was...all that mattered was that victory was claimed in the name of Myri. As such, Dor'gen had emerged from the furthest reaches of Sunberth intent upon entering this arena of combat; intent upon spilling fresh blood upon its sanded floors.

He came, heralded by the thuds of his boots upon the stone floor of the Pits' entryway tunnel. Eyes turned and gawked in disbelief as they witnessed the presence of the Akalak. Greater than any human, Dor'gen towered at well over seven feet and cast a shadow over all that he passed within the tunnel. His body was garbed in a vestment of black, studded armor. Cultivated from leather and layered, each piece served as an augmentation to the sheer monstrosity that was the Akalak. At the ready were the tools of his trade: a small shield and a bastard sword. Clutched firmly in his offhand, the armanent was adorned with a number of spikes that made it just as much an offensive tool as defensive. Likewise, the bastard sword was held fast in Dor'gen's dominant hand. Its length was longer than the average blade and afforded the Akalak, whose reach was already impressive, an even greater advantage.

Yet all of these armaments paled in comparison something that laid hidden beneath the layers of cotton.

Adorned upon his right forearm was a mark of divine origin. Although veiled from view, it moved perpetually as if alive...and brimmed with the power of the Goddess of War and Victory herself. This Gnosis, Prowess, ensured Myri's blessing upon Dor'gen's very muscles and bones; affording him greater swiftness on the field of battle. Against the foes that awaited him in the Blood Pits, Dor'gen stood tall and ready...Ascending the final flight of stairs, the Akalak was greeted with the light of day and the chaotic din of a frenzied crowd. They chanted for their champion, a man who stood only a few paces away from the Akalak. Krah'ge...a strong name, if ever Dor'gen heard one. Today, the two warriors would stand together in order to face down a horde that laid in wait behind the far gate...and they had only a few precious moments before the onslaught began.

Turning to face the gladiator, Dor'gen regarded him with a nod and made brief introductions. "I am Dor'gen...and when we emerge victorious, drinks are on me." he said, before returning his attention to the forefront. 'Twas then that the Akalak took a moment to raise his shield in preparation whilst lulling his eyes to a close. "To you, my Goddess, I offer this sacrifice of blood. Accept my offering and grant victory this day!" Concluding his prayer with a wrathful roar, Dor'gen raised his sword and thrust it forward. As if responding to his challenge, the far gate opened...and snarls issued forth. The crowds lulled to an excited hush as the beast began to emerge...Wolves...Four in number.

They were large, hungry...and were now staring at a potential meal.

Image Image Image
Dor'gen
The Furious.

Words: 152513
Joined roleplay: July 15th, 2014, 1:46 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)