PM to join Let em' soar!

Castle Commons, Midday

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Let em' soar!

Postby Berend on January 30th, 2015, 10:46 pm

There was another flash of light that caused him to wince, and suddenly she was human again. More than that, she was a good deal closer now, so close in fact he could feel feel the warmth of her breath as she spoke. His own voice failed him for the moment as he stood there frigid, and stiff, not daring to move with her so close. He tried not to even breath too much, thinking the sound of it might just irritate her into action. She didn't sound like a monster though, which was most unfortunate because he'd almost rather it be that way so he knew what to expect. Now it just seemed like she was intent on playing a game with him, one that he would not like the results of very much.

Despite all that though, he did end up taking a deep sharp breath when she asked him another question, knowing that she would expect answer and him needing his wits about him just to speak. He managed trembling:

"Don't wa-- want no trouble miss, won't tell anyb- anybody you know magic, you can trust me" Berend's teeth where chattering something violent now, and not just because of the cold that had got into him with this fresh new shock. The cold also was making him need to blink a lot now, as having held his eyes wide so long had done much to dry them out in the frosty cold, and cause them to start aching something fierce.

"Won't tell no body your a kelvic mage either, nope I won't" He ended up mumbling it out as he contemplated the word that sparked a memory for times long past. The way she said it sounded significant, and he remembered overhearing the word before but where? More importantly, what was it a label for? That magic she just did maybe?

It didn't really help that she sounded distressed herself, which made him wonder from where was she from if not here. Because if she was here, she'd know, but she didn't sound like she did. Could all just be a ploy to have him drop his guard, but he didn't see the point. She could probably just as easily smite him before he even touched his dagger. So, he continued to hold stock still body wise, but went so far as to turn his head around a bit so that he would see if she was trying any magic on him. Berend quickly looked back to her eyes though once he realized her appearance, and figured maybe it was for the best. After all, wouldn't do to piss of this mage any further by staring, and perhaps he didn't want to see the magic that was being done to him.

"Just promise you won't turn me into anything, and make it quick" He managed after taking a few moments to consider he word choice, and muster up the courage to speak. It was hard to keep the fear out of his voice though.
Berend
Something to prove

Words: 73957
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2015, 2:38 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Let em' soar!

Postby Jenna Wyne on January 31st, 2015, 3:34 pm

Mage? Magic? She wasn't magic, she was just Jenna. She didn't know what to do. She was so terribly lost and confused. Why was this man so terrified of her. He could surely hurt her more than she could ever hurt him. She wondered why he was so terrified. She didn't know what to do, she was hugging him but well it didn't seem to help. It had always helped her when her and another kelvic hugged. She pondered what to do. It wasn't like she was anything that special. She decided to roll with it, if he thought she was an mage, well what could she do. "How do I know you won't tell a soul?" She asked and she let go of him, wondering how she could convince him she was at least friendly if nothing else.

It wasn't like she had much to do other than try to at least get him to calm down. " No body said anything about turning you into anything. Unless you want to be something else. " She giggled a bit at that thought. " Now, What to do with you" She said as if she was contemplating some horrible fate for him." She giggled and pondered what she might do with this man that thought her a mage. She could have a little fun and then try to show him she at least meant no harm.

" Drop any weapons you have, now. Then perhaps I will believe you" Jenna said with a smirk and backing away holding her hands with her palms upturned like she was channeling something in them. She mainly just didn't want to get stabbed. The first goal was to disam him and then have a talk. She gave a smirk, and her eagle like eyes even in her human form stared at him, with an intent gaze, surely the seemingly inhuman eyes would be noticed by him. She sighed and waited for him to drop whatever weapon he might have. She really didn't want to get stabbed.
Jenna Wyne
Player

Words: 18340
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2015, 4:48 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Let em' soar!

Postby Berend on January 31st, 2015, 5:46 pm

It was a strange thing, her holding him not particularly tight, and him feeling powerless to do anything. Berend didn't see the point of it really, surely there were other ways of keeping him bound, but whatever she was up to, it was likely some no good magic that he dared to not interrupt. He felt anxious simply for breathing as hard as it was caused him to move against her arms just the slightest. Taking in a deep breath in through his nose, and out through his mouth, he struggled to control his breathing to no avail. He still heaved in and out, wondering all the while if he was screwing up the magic for her. Then she spoke again, and finally let him go.

"Uh... you could um, yea you could make sure I don't do it through your magic, make me a magical promise or whatever, um.. yea" Berend couldn't get the words out fast enough, and even going so far as to clasp his hands in front of him to hopefully show her that he was no threat. His breathing did get a bit calmer at least, now that he didn't have her so unbearably close, and he kept his mind from those nasty thoughts of what sorts of magic she might use against him. The latter part was harder though, because he couldn't help but keep on thinking how unreal this all was with her standing as she was, in this frostily little glade. That and it was hard to keep his eyes on hers, as now in this light they seemed very much unnaturally penetrating, but he couldn't let his gaze wander.

"No, please.. please be merciful, I don't want to be anything. I'll do anything you want.. just spare me" He didn't like thinking about what her laugh might portend, that this might really be an elaborate magical game for the mage's amusement. It was all he could do to just stand there, trying his best not to move too much and keep his breathing quiet. His heart beat so loud that he was sure she could hear it, which probably no doubt amused her. Finally though, the expected command came, and he very slowly reached for the dagger tucked in at his hip, not wanting to move at all to quick to make her uncomfortable. He fumbled with his strap for a few moments before finally getting it off, and then holding very gingerly, he tossed it to the side.

"Anything else you need, my cloak maybe?" Berend asked before thinking, and quickly felt heat in his cheeks when he realized how presumptuous that might have come off. "It's a bit cold out here is all, and you'll see I am properly disarmed"

He shrugged off his pack, and started at the straps of his cloak, keeping his eyes on hers. Those keen eyes that now spoke of a magic he should have long realized before trekking out here with her so foolishly.
Berend
Something to prove

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Let em' soar!

Postby Jenna Wyne on January 31st, 2015, 7:54 pm

"Now hold a moment " Jenna said as she carefully picked up the dagger so that it was not in his grasp. She eyed it as if she was contemplating something dastardly. She pondered now that she had him unarmed, he would be easier to deal with. She went over and grabbed her cloak, putting it over her naked form and hoping his own fear kept him still. she still held the dagger after all. "Hold out your hand and repeat after me!" She said eying him if he didn't move, which she didn't think he would. He was rather scared. " I hereby pledge to a pact of secrecy, to never say out loud the name Jenna, or speak of her or the events that occurred on this day or any other day while in the presence of her. The gods be our witness, should I break this pledge I submit my very soul as payment which will come due the moment this pledge is broken."

Jenna said walking closer and closer cutting before his palm and then holding his hand together in a fist, should he allow it and letting the blood dribble out onto the ground." She took a piece of her cloak and tore off it, since it was already damaged and wrapped it around his hand. Then she pretended to draw some sort of sigil on it with her fingertips. It was then and only then did she drop the entire hostile at and Jenna smiled.

" Now perhaps we can become friends? since you know very well what will happen if you speak of me, I see no real reason to punish you further, and think that you may come to grow to find out that I am not nearly as terrifying as you have come to believe. But if not then be gone and let me never see you again and never forget the pledge you just made or else you will die the moment the words escape your lips. " Jenna ended with a piercing stare that seem to go through him. As if she meant the latter to be the grave truth.

She had worked no magic and any chant he might of heard her say under her breath was nonsense but he didn't know that. It would most likely seem very real in the eyes of the terrified Berend. That was the key, of this trick to convince the other person of the magic. It could be some natural sort of hypnotism or she could just be a very good actress , but none the less she had played the part well and hopefully he wouldn't spread rumors about her for fear of his own life.
Jenna Wyne
Player

Character sheet

Let em' soar!

Postby Berend on January 31st, 2015, 9:16 pm

Of course, he remembered, she had her own cloak with no need for his own which made his heart beat just a little faster as he stood there frozen with his hands now just awkwardly still at his neck. She was going for his dagger now, and he dared not move against her wishes. Best just to stay like a statue till she got that well in hand, and hopefully felt a bit more secure because of it. Things were already tense as they were, and he didn't want to give her any more of an excuse than he already had. Instead he focused on becoming calmer, breathing in deeply, and then out slowly, in, out, in, out. Surprisingly, it even helped, kinda. Watching her was he had been, he noticed that she now had the dagger, and was studying it rather intently, at least that was his impression. He could be wrong, hoped he was wrong and that this was all just some big misunderstanding and that she hadn't meant to snare him in the trap. But the hope was a fragile thing, and one he decidedly tried not focus on too much lest he slip into despair.

She turned to put her cloak on, which came as a huge relief for him because he took the moment to let his hands fall down to his sides, but he kept them open and facing palm first towards her. Likely she would notice the change of posture, and he wanted her to know that he still meant no harm. He also managed to get control of his nerves somewhat, now that she had some covering on and he didn't have to worry about being chaste so much. Berend even considered not holding himself so stiffly, maybe even try to relax a little bit thinking that if she was going to do something, wouldn't she have already done it, but then she turned around, and he stood stiff at attention once more.

Hesitantly, he stuck out his hand not too much different than he had earlier when he'd introduced himself, and couldn't help but wonder at himself thinking of such things in a situation such as this. "I hereby pledge to pact secrecy, to never say aloud the name Jenna, or speak of her, or what occurred today or any other while in her presence. The gods be our witness, should I break this pledge I offer my soul as a trade, and it will come due the moment this pledge be broken" Berend couldn't help but fumble over the words, him being a bit too on edge to remember all she said but he hoped he got close enough for her liking. He took the slash with a wince, but kept quiet about it, thinking on instead about if he missed anything, and on if this now meant he was safe. After all would a mage waste her magic on this if she was just going to take care of him anyways. Of course not, which meant he was safe, right? As long as he kept his mouth shut about her that is.

Looking down at his hand now that was starting to ache, he saw it was pale and his blood oh so bright, a striking shade of red that dribbled all over his palm. Some weird magic this, but oddly enough, he was starting to feel safer for it. He winced again when she bound it, and continued her little ritual, him just standing there, taking it all in stock still, eyes not leaving his hand till a few moments after she finished with it. Then his eyes once more flickered up to hers, again thankful that she decided to cover up or that might have been awkward if she was following the path of his eyes.

"Er, that.. that sounds goodBerend forced a smile at that, and tried to settle down again, this time having more success at not standing so rigidly. What ended up working even more so was at last hearing a possible explanation that was unexpectedly plausible, but certainly not what he would have expected out of all of this elaborateness. Perhaps she was an outsider, but even if she was, she apparently knew this place well enough to go this far for a bit of security. The realization put him more at ease than anything thus far had done, and his smile became a little less tense. He could remember a time, a situation a whole lot different than this save for one little matter he had a bit of a hand in. Sometimes, he knew, outsiders wanted some assurances, and when the going was rough, he helped out when he could as long as they were the right sort. Maybe that was it, all that she had done this for, or could be she didn't really know about magic here, and now wanted that assurance. Whatever the case, it seemed to be so, and that he could stomach more than he could being someones pet. Shyke, it might not be so bad, she seemed nice enough when he didn't act like a cowed dog. At least, that was what he needed to believe right now, and for now, a delusion was better than an uncertain reality.

Standing up a bit straighter, his smile was a bit more genuine this time. "So, um yea, I didn't mean you know harm you know, its just that.. eh, mage's have caused a lot of trouble in these parts of late, and you just, uh, surprised me ya know?" Perhaps he could clear the air, since this mage certainly wasn't like those that sulked about the city so long ago. This one was apparently smarter than that, and not given to malicious tendencies for he'd hear no tales of unexplainable savagery of late now that he thought of it.

"Wouldn't have used the dagger either, you know, I just keep it for when the hair gets too long" Standing there, shoulders now slumped from being held rigged for so long, he suppressed the urge to fidget as considered her eyes, and wondered if they had always been like that. Would it have made him any more prepared if they had?
Berend
Something to prove

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Let em' soar!

Postby Jenna Wyne on January 31st, 2015, 9:54 pm

"See is it so bad to loosen up." She said as if forgetting the entire episode had just happened. "Now, if you don't mind I would like to go get those hares.. If you just stay right here, I can do that. Don't be afraid, I hunt as an eagle, it is much more efficient than trying to hunt any other way I know of. Besides maybe trapping which I do want to learn how to do. She left with a flash of light and the falling of a cloak, the dagger would be missing as the eagle taking off now held it in her talons, as she deposited somewhere only she knew where was at this point.

The eagle soared high above the farm and the trees, her screech could be heard by all and then she dove, a startled hare running for it's hole but not fast enough as she dropped, her body falling among the air, moving with a precision and speed that only a raptor could achieve in the air. She hit the hare hard, and she took a bit, not nearly as graceful but she managed to snap its neck. With that she lifted off soaring into the sky to drop near Berend. She would do something should he try to run or do anything other than gather the hare.

The eagle soared again this time it took longer and several attempts but soon with a beat of her winds, the angling of her body she soared down on an unsuspecting hare and it too was in the grasp of her talons, She fought with it finally killing it but this time she took a break. She lifted off and dropped it at the entrance again, but this time she left and came back with nothing but the dagger as the ball of light turned into a nude short woman again. She smiled at him if he hadn't given her the slip.

"Here take one.. as I promised. " She said with a smile and hoped he didn't think her evil or overpower able. She held the dagger and put it in her bag, claiming it hers. She wasn't about to give it back to him until she knew she was somewhat safe. She grabbed her dress and popped it back over her self and she smiled and sat down. " So, Berend, tell me about yourself" She said as she hoped he would. She didn't know anyone else, it was nice just to talk.
Jenna Wyne
Player

Character sheet

Let em' soar!

Postby Berend on January 31st, 2015, 11:19 pm

Berend nodded in silent agreement at the sentiment, still keeping that tentative smile while he listened and watched. It did feel better to not have to stand at such ridged attention, and especially not to feel as wound up as he had been. His breathing was even almost regular now, and with the shock fading, he could properly appreciate the ache in his lungs now that breathing in rapidly all that cold air had brought. The effort had properly dried out his mouth, and his throat felt quite raw now, but thankfully, talking did not hurt as bad as he would have expected. "Oh, yea, I'll keep an eye out, but I've no skill at preparing the things, or firing em' up for cooking" His own stomach growled, and so he figured the same for her, or would soon be as he would think catching fast little rabbits to be hungry work. He remembered his own food he'd brought for a midday meal, but she might not really consider that proper fare.

Suppose he could figure that out though while she was off hunting he noted when she took off, and he watched her for as long as she stayed in sight. He stayed staring at the spot she disappeared for what felt like several moments as well, at a loss briefly for what to do now. His parched throat demanded the most attention for the moment, so he proceeded to uncork his waterskin and take a deep pull of the icy water while he turned about to look at the sky.

Just how high could eagle ladies fly anyways? Beyond the clouds? Out past the stars?

The water proved to be just what he needed to ease the ache, and he allowed himself to not look at the sky and instead around this wooded little area, wondering at just what he could busy himself to attend to. He longed for the knowledge of how to set a fire up properly, but lacking that he simply wrapped himself up tighter in his woolen cloak after stoppering the waterskin and, turned about to look idly at his pack. Berend remembered something that made the sparks go all nice, but what of material in this damp little patch of woods?

A rabbit from the sky distracted him from his musings when it thumped on the ground, and actually managed to startle him a bit. Looking up to the sky to spot her, and he wondered if he should make a move for the rabbit, and if he did, what he should do with it. It had landed close, and him remembering earlier, he found the strength to move. He didn't go for immediately picking it up though, crouching beside it instead for a few moments before he tested out picking it up by a foot. Having never been much of a hunter, he was surprised by the earthiness of its smell, and the residual warmth in its limb. Berend almost wanted to drop it just for that, but he steeled his hold on it none the less, figuring himself watched, and stood up with it dangling from his hand.

She's rather efficient from the looks of it

He shook his head, as if that would dissipate promptly his dark musings, and tried to be more thankful that she was at least friendly, as well as kind.

Would she want to eat when she got back?

His eyes scanned the skies again, catching not a glimpse of her now even as the moments stretched on by for what felt like a long time, but likely was hardly anything considering he was just being idle. The cold wind served to quickly tire him of that in any case, and he decided that probably she would indeed be hungry after all that flying. Dropping the rabbit beside his pack, he set to digging through it's contents and seizing upon a handful of jerky along with some stale bread he'd brought with him. Once he had that, he decided to sit, and wait beside this rabbit for when she came back, which seemed like a terribly long time that left time only for thinking.

So the next rabbit came as a relief when it thudded against the ground, but disappointingly she took off just as he started to stand. Still more rabbits then, he mused surprised, not really knowing just how hungry she might be, and now looking to his sparse provisions, thinking them hardly enough now. She returned though, quicker this time around, and surprisingly with not a rabbit but with his dagger that had been forgotten while he'd been at a loss for what to do with himself. An of course she was naked again, another odd peculiarity about this magic business that he just would never get, but at least she was back, and he didn't have to wonder about what he was to do.

"My thanks" Berend replied with a slight smile of his own, a bit relieved really that he had not been all that presumptuous at having picked up the rabbit. He watched his dagger go into the bag, but he tried not to think on that too much, instead moving up to sit across from her once she was good, and dressed. Having held the food clasped between his hands until that point, he extended it to her now a bit hesitantly. "It isn't much, but I figured it better than nothing ya know? I, myself just being out on my own today, I didn't bring much, ya know, but yea.. About me though.." He paused for a few moments to consider is next words, and rested his hands on his knees if she ended up taking the food. "I do a bit of unskilled labour here and there, if they'll have me down at the docks, nothing too fancy I'm afraid" Berend shrugged as he said it, not too comfortable talking about his self and his line of work in particular. It wasn't too honorable after all, and it was better all round if she didn't know that. "How was your hunt anyways.. uhm I mean like, what's it like to fly?"
Last edited by Berend on February 1st, 2015, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Berend
Something to prove

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Let em' soar!

Postby Jenna Wyne on February 1st, 2015, 12:18 am

"Don't worry about it.. I don't need your food, I can make something when I get home. I am a tanner.. I suppose and a bit of a hunter. It is a living. " Jenna smiled and started cutting the hare around its feet after pulling out the dagger and then she stuck it in the ground as she started peeling it off. " If you can get a fire going, we could cook it here. " She said with a smile as she began gently tearing the fur from the hare. She slowly got the fur off and then used the dagger to cut around the neck. The fur seemed to just to peel off, it was obvious she was use to this, she used the dagger when she had to and she was clearly not the most skilled but at least knew what she was doing. She pulled off the fur finally and tossed it in her bag and set the hare on it.

Then she found a stick and used a piece of her cloak to secure it to the stick and stuck it in the ground. Then she found two others and made a spit, she smiled at her handy work. It was rather unstable but would work for their tiny fire. She blushed a bit as she realized it was not that impressive at all but it would work. That was the important part.

She didn't pay attention to a fire at the moment instead she went and found some wood for it should it be lit. She wanted to enjoy a good meal with her new friend. She had to resist the urge to chase an animal she spotted and she returned with some wood. She so hoped he had a fire going, she had left the dagger for him so he could strike it against flint if he found any or if he needed to cut any wood to make kindling. She took her time, knowing that fire took time too and it was better to have plenty of wood. She smiled as she walked towards their little camp.
Jenna Wyne
Player

Character sheet

Let em' soar!

Postby Berend on February 1st, 2015, 1:48 am

"Ah.. I see, of course, this being old fare and all" Berend muttered, withdrawing his hand to put the food back into his bag. If he'd gone with his gut, then maybe he wouldn't have gotten himself into this bit of awkwardness, but at least she didn't seem too offended. He should have suspected that she might have some skill with such, this being her suggestion in all, though it wouldn't have done him any good to presume that. "Ah, a fire? Oh yes, of course, just the thing to get away this chill. Just sticks right?" Wasn't sure if it needed anything else, or were he could find those other somethings, but at least this place had plenty of sticks he realized once he had a chance to stand up and look around, his eyes scanning around in the brush.

So yea, just collect a lot right?

Still, he couldn't help but feel a bit at a loss when thinking about acting on that thought, and he decided to glance over at Jenna, seeing that she happened to be well underway with her own preparations putting his slack jawed attempt much to shame. So, without further thought, he moved towards the nearest pile of brush to scavenge for some sticks, and started yanking away at the skeleton bush itself when the ground didn't yield too many sticks. He couldn't get much traction with that though, the bush being stronger than it appeared, and him only managing to crack a few of for what felt like a lot of overexertion for the meager haul. It also wasn't too easy to get a good grip with both hands when he had to hold sticks as well, the little bundle making him quite unwieldy at it.

When he turned around at least, she was gone so he could drop the meager bundle, and was surprised to find that she'd left his dagger, it glinting on the ground, catching his eye. He looked for a few moments before turning away and going back to try and get more sticks, now focusing on the ground instead of going for the bush. If it was a test, he hoped he passed, and if it wasn't, well suppose he'd have to suffer that embarrassment in silence. Picking up sticks was better than cutting away at a bush anyways. It wasn't even really all that hard to gather as he was, and he managed to pick up a nice little bundle before he returned, large enough that he could barely hold it in one hand. Good enough to start a fire with he figured, throwing it down with the others before rifling through his pack for his flint and steel, and thats where she would find him when she came back, him striking the two together sending shower after shower of sparks over the small pile of twigs he'd gathered. Unfortunately, none of them had yet to take light.
Berend
Something to prove

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Let em' soar!

Postby Jenna Wyne on February 4th, 2015, 1:09 am

Jenna had watched men light fires before and knew you needed something easily started aflame. What would they ever do. She pondered as she looked about and grabbed some dead leaves and put them on the pile. The sparks hit them and they lit up with a quick sudden burst of flame. Jenna quickly put small dry branches on them and added some more leaves. it was slowly a fire. " See look at that we did it!" She smiled not believing it. She had never made a fire in the wilds before. Well the farmland was hardly the wilds but it was close enough.

Jenna smiled and watched as the fire began to lick at the hare. and it was wonderful as she put some more wood on the fire and she smiled at Berend. " We make a good team you and I. " She smiled and made a seat and motioned for Berend to do the same. " So what do you do? Surely if you were a laborer you would be at the docks even now. " She asked with a smile as she enjoyed the company. " I would like have a friend, I haven't had much luck in that department here in sunberth. The hare should be tasty. and you can have the meat from the other too if you wish, I only want the fur really. "

Jenna smiled and stared into the fire. It was peaceful, and warm. She had to admit that this wasn't at all what she foresaw when she left her house this morning. But it was a nice change of pace. The man seemed nice enough despite his cowardness. She wondered what he thought of this whole situation.
Jenna Wyne
Player

Character sheet

PreviousNext