We Are Not The Sum Of Our Parts

Wherein Evalin is challenged in her faith.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Gossamer on January 12th, 2015, 12:17 am

Timestamp: Early Winter, 514 AV,

Rats scurried in his wake. He didn't mind it so much, though in truth the accommodations could be richer. Avene had tastes, and they ran to more heady stuff. However, the location was convenient because it was a long forgotten waterway that tapped thermal heat from within Cyphrus and drew it to the city of Riverfall. In the past, it had been worked by magic to carry heat directly to several of the towers in Riverfall. The hot pipes passed in spirals beneath the stone floors, warming them for various priests and priestesses of whatever the religion the tower represented.

But no more. In the two hundred years, Cyphrus' climate had changed. Going from harsh winters to more milder scenarios, the year round comfort had been unneeded and the maintenance had been shut off. Now the waterways and its cisterns that kept the liquid warm were empty save for small trickles in unforgotten chambers. No true mages of stone roamed the walkways and insured Semele's shifting whims didn't alter its course.

That left vast Cisterns empty beneath Riverfall. And most went undiscovered, though occasionally, like this one, they were brought back into use by unorthodox individuals. Avene was under orders and his mission was clear. There was a failed child of Uldr in the city, one that had tried and had not succeeded in starting a war with the Dhani and Myrians in Falyndar.

Poor choice in victims was what Avene chalked it up too. Why would anyone want to start a war with creatures that were less than human? Dhani were no better than Zith, in Avene's eyes. They didn't even make good slaves and using their forms had left him a bitter taste in his mouth.

Regardless. It was up to him to set the Wretched One on a better path or punish her in Uldr's eyes. And to do that... to start that... Avene had brought her to his lab. He glanced around with distain again. Laboratory? One could hardly call it that now could one? He'd outfitted it with benches, tables, and cages which held various creatures. Avene coveted the living even in his undeath. And he would have perhaps desired Evalin more had she been still living and not already into her Nuit life. Sure, she would not age, not as humans and his 'pets' did. But in her own way, she'd mark the passage of time trapped in slow decay and the filth of flesh that would never quite meet up to her expectations.

He strode towards her.

Capturing her had been easy. She was his even before she knew what hit her. They'd passed, by chance, in the market and he'd felt the pull of her gnosis. But it was less than his pull and he'd flexed his privilege and beckoned her to follow him with an snear for her inferiority. When he'd seen the familiar, he'd gave a second order. "Send that thing away... a thousand miles south... and tell it not to return until you bid it." He added, the command low in his voice. She was his, by Uldr's will, and there was nothing Evalin could do but follow.

"Now behave mage. You will not defy me." His command was firm and it echoed through her own gnosis mark.

He'd wandered the city, first the market and then the stone behemoth proper, making purchases and treating her like a slave. Each item he picked up he piled into her arms with a soft 'carry that and do not break it' until Evalin was loaded up ike a pack mule. His direction of wandering was aimless and seemingly random until it grew dark. Then he'd reached over, ran his hands across her vision, and had melded her eyes closed drew the flesh together like a master scupltler would massaging clay.

"Our lord grants many boons on those of his children that are faithful. In my living I was something of an artist. In my undeath he's granted me the ability to craft flesh like clay. If you behave yourself, I'll set them to rights when we get to where we are going. If you protest like a spoiled child, I'll cut off your air and your ability to speak and drag you forcefully." He said with a polite voice, though amusement was heavy in his tone. He saw Evalin as a plaything, that much was true, and was treating her as such as they moved.

The Wretched One, robbed of her eyesight, would have to stumble about following the sound of his voice. Sometimes a guiding hand touched her elbow. Sometimes she was impatiently shoved. A door opened. One closed. There were steps up, steps down, and stone hallways that they passed through endlessly. By the echos of their footsteps, she could sense narrow halls, wide open chambers, and narrow places again. Once he grabbed her head and forced it down, though she realized shortly thereafter that they were ducking something low passing overhead.

When they'd walked half the night, seemingly in circles, he'd halted, released her of her burdens, and told her to 'sit' after sweeping his hand across her face again, remolding her flesh, and giving her eyesight back.

The only place to sit was a table... a work table that looked more like something a mortician would have than an undead. She was in a huge cistern, with some of the walls filled with cages that contained not only animals, but monsters and people as well. Some were empty, and throughout the whole thing a steaming stream flowed, coming from high on one wall and dispersing low through another small opening.

"Now... strip. I want to see the whole of your form. I want you to show me all your marks, what Gods you serve, and tell me all of your abilities. I like to know what my new toys can do." Avene said softly, looking thoughtful.

He had himself a small body, human, of a man that perhaps looked more like an accountant than a fierce Desolate One. The man was mousy, nondescript in coloring though richly dressed. He walked to a desk, took a seat that faced Evalin, and began to write.

"Well, speak up. I don't have all day." The man said, not bothering to introduce himself.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Evalin on January 12th, 2015, 1:38 am

How disgusting. Years, no centuries had passed without her being treated as a lowly servant. Then, from no where this beast appeared and ripped away the illusion of power that Immortal had wrapped about herself like a cloak. With just a glance and a sneer she was entrapped and tangled in his web of power, and suddenly his whim was her command... how irritating.

Tsenrika was sent away, yet still she felt him deep inside, despite the distance he might go. His thoughts, his concerns... for the moment they were useless to her and she cut them off. Her Familiar, however, was the only thing she was told to get rid of. Thus in her hands she still gripped her staff tightly, as if holding onto it to keep herself from being swept away. She wore her older form this day, robes and cloak pulled up against the world so that only her red eyes would peer out from the darkness. Around her neck were the twin scarves Crusher and Snapper, their serpentine heads resting lifeless down her front. This day was simply to be a day of searching out what the city had to offer. It was a rare moment this day that Evalin felt herself ready to venture forth into Syna's domain, and thus she had expected it to be a day of simple amusements and enjoyment for herself. Fate, however, seemed to feel the need to dabble in her affairs once more. For this he would be punished.

Through the market and beyond Evalin was mortified and humiliated as she became nothing more than a beast of burden made to hold the belongings of another like a common mule. With each step, no each tick, her hatred for this man only grew. It was a faint wondering that crossed her mind that this might indeed be exactly what he wished for... but it mattered not. The nuit could not help the range and indignation as it built upon the hatred that already smoldered like coals deep in her soul.

She was forced to silence, and thus she could neither ask nor protest as she was lead on and on. Then his hand was before her eyes and for the first time since their encounter the white hot anger was suddenly cooled by a chill of fear as vision was robbed her and she was bodily moved and maneuvered farther still into the passage of time. She was not to protest... and she would not. In the darkness of her mind she could feel, growing ever further away, Tsenrika's icy fingers that brushed gently against her consciousness. Remember she then what he had said, and taught her when she was deep into the midst of the jungle. Be as ice, frozen and unfeeling. Let not the fires of passion guide you from the path... Be damned all of this. Let the ice come... let it come and freeze over this dark pit deep in her chest that grew ever larger as they descended more and more, twisting and turning in an endless maze. Let her not feel this foreign emotion that could not be fear.

When her head was grasped her hood was pulled free and a hiss escaped Evailn's lips as she bared her slightly pointed teeth, but nothing else would come. As she was told she would not protest. The time had not yet come...

Her vision returned and she was able to look about at the scene that was to be her judgement, or so she assumed. Why else would one of the Desolate be here now, so soon after her failure in the jungles of Falyndar? This place she was brought though... it was unusual. Larger, with creatures and humans in cages around the walls, but these she paid little mind to. Steam... she saw steam, and moisture here, and as her red eyes briefly glanced the surrounding she noticed that some of the steam flowed out of a small opening in one of the walls. Her lip twitched briefly as she took note of this, before her attention was drawn once more by orders that rocked her body to the core.

At first she resisted, her hands folded in her lap where she sat before the table but the pain was so great it made her brow furrow and her teeth grit. A tick past, then two and then finally the Immortal stood... slowly to her feet. He wanted to see her body... very well then, it was nothing special. What vexed her was his third request. He wished to know her 'abilities'... Leaning her staff against the side of the table, Evalin remained silent while she slowly unwound the scarves from around her neck and let them fall to the table in two separate piles. She then began to undo the ties of her cloak, removing it and her hood to let it rest upon the back of the chair and freeing her straight black locks to tumble down her shoulders to the middle of her back. Finally came her robes, but now she could not hold the silence as the final order was made.

"I am a creature seen as Wretched in the eyes of our Master..." She silpped the robes off of her shoulders, revealing the beginnings of rot near her neck and on her chest, "When first we met he granted me... speed of which I had never known. By his will I may move faster than a mortal may comprehend, rivaling that of the Viper Dhani." She cursed internally, why had she said that much? Her robes fell to the ground and the Immortal did not bother to pick them up as she stepped free of them like a snake might shed her skin.

"Upon our second meeting Uldr granted to his loyal servant an alternate form... A creature that is half human and half horse, strong and powerful my Other can reach speeds of the fastest horse while she is as graceful as any woodland gazel. The speed of the upper body is enhanced as well as the Other's overall strength dwarfs my own."

What constituted abilities? Just those given to her by Uldr? What about her magics? Were those abilities? The pain that shot through her body when she attempted to withhold the information, however, answered her questions fully. Her magics as well were a part of her 'abilities', because indeed that is exactly how she saw them...

The pain faded as she pulled in breath to her lungs to continue, "I am... gifted with abilities in magic as well. The elements shall bend to my command should I have need, and with my power I can tear a hole in the fabric of this existence to peer into another world." Evalin cared not for her body or her nakedness. This was a vessel as any other, and so what shame should she have in this creature viewing it? It was odd however, for as she continued to speak of her innermost secrets and magics the Immortal felt more naked than ever she had before. To this man she was forced to bare her deepest parts, her most precious secrets, and he took all of this from her without giving her even a glance or thought. It twisted deep into the Nuit's chest as something not quite anger or hatred stirred to life. Was this what it was to be helpless?

"I can... alter this vessel in appearance if ever I have the need. I can see the auras of other creatures and objects... as well I have a small ability in..." She almost choked as she tried, desperately, to hold onto just ONE secret. No matter how small, just one... but she couldn't, "The art of protective magics."

This was all, was it not? But no, still she could feel the pain for she was forgetting one finall... "I am a master of the art of Familiary... Should my dear Tsenrika be present we are able to... to become as one, and this new form grants us double the strength of either of us alone with none of our own weaknesses." Be damned, not even THIS was she allowed to keep secret? Then, truly, she had spoken all of her abilities... Though she noted that when it came to what she wore she did not feel the need to present them for inspection. Perhaps it was because she saw them not as her own abilities? They were not counted among the 'tools of a goddess' as she had so aptly deemed her magics and gifts of Hatred... So she said nothing about the twin golems that appeared to be scarves, the ring of bone upon her right ring finger that gave her sudden bursts of physical power, nor the staff... the most precious of all her possessions which could draw in flames any design depicted in the Immortal's mind.

Finished now with her listing of her inner soul Evalin raised her arms out at her sides turned a slow circle in an exaggerated display to show that she had no marks of other Gods, which was but a ruse to give her a chance to look about the enclosing that she was now held prisoner in. Perhaps something would stand out that she could use for later...?

She would not be broken here, this the Immortal swore, and so once her turn was completed she set her left hand on her lip, leaning so that her right rested on the table. She tapped the wood with one long, pointed black nail as she smiled in what she hoped was a confident expression, being certain to show her pointed teeth and elongated canines, "To what do I owe the pleasure of your company my dear..." she paused and made a show of twisting her expression into one of mock confusion, "Oh, forgive me it seems I must have missed your name. Please, allow me to know how I should address my superior."

She needed something, anything from this man. She needed him to talk, to explain what was going on and why he was here, and maybe offer her something she could use to turn the tides of all of this on its head... This day would NOT be her last, for there was much for her still to do. So much had changed within her since coming to Riverfall, since leaving the Jungle, since meeting the child serpent, but never had the conviction altered in the slightest. She was to be the Goddess of Vengeance, and from the cruelest tyrant known as Fate she would exact this revenge. Nothing would stop her, or stand in her way... not even this man. Be damned him. Let Evalin awaken once more.
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 12th, 2015, 3:01 am

Avene didn't look up from his writing. He took copious notes in his journal, seemingly starting a file on Evalin. He didn't ask her name, nor did he ask any questions as she spoke.

Though, had she been watching, she'd have seen the annoying twitch of his lips as she slowly transitioned her speech from answering his questions to asking questions of her own.

Finally, when he let the silence stretch out abnormally long, he set his quill down, rested his journal on his makeshift desk, and rose. He paced towards her, not exactly looking at her but instead drawing a dagger from his belt and examining it thoroughly. He held it up to the weak light of the lanterns that lit the cistern turned laboratory, and frowned at what he obviously considered a dull edge. He ran his thumb and forefinger down first one side of the knife, then the other, turning the metal molten and seemingly sharpening it with just a touch. She could see no transference of Djed to Res or any evidence of any other sort of magic she'd ever seen before.

"Is that all? In what... a hundred, maybe twice that, years? You know a handful of magics and play with alien life forms like dogs do with squeak toys?"
The delicate nuit paced over and inverted the knife in his hand, offering it to Evalin hilt first.

"Take it. You asked my name. I shall grant it to you."
He said, the compulsion of his superior gnosis inflecting his voice as a command. "I like my toys quiet. You would do well to remember that. Now... take that knife and on your stomach, deeply, carve the letters as I recite them." He said, his tone allowing no argument.

He seemed to think things over and slowly he began to recite the letters. "Carve them properly and large, so that when the next person views your wretched form, they will read them clearly and right side up even though you carve from an upside down angle. We don't want things sloppy. P first. Then a nice R. " The man paced on, still not concerned or seemingly in a hurry. He paused as he passed by the scarves and wrinkled his nose in distaste at them. The staff he avoided openly, as if it were beneath him. "Next O, then P, then E." He went on, quietly making a circle of the lab. He paused in front of the cages, one containing a human male, and called the creature over to the edge of the cage.

The young male inside came willingly and without hesitation even though he was in bad shape - obviously beaten and starved. Suddenly, Evalin could sense the gnosis - only one mark - on the wasted skeleton of the man. "Continue... without spaces. R then T then Y. " The nuit said, petting the young man through the bars like one would a favorite hound. "Then O and F together." He added, finally turning to make another circuit which indeed placed him in a good view of Evalin's abdomen. "Finally A then V then E then N then E. All together." He said, looking onward, no sign of emotion on his face as he watched Evalin cut herself up.

"I am Avene, but you may call me Master." He said, looking at her suddenly then, as if seeing her whole form for the first time. "Your name, whatever it is, does not interest me." He added, waiting for her to finish. When she was done, there would be more to tell her. But first, he wanted to make sure she did a satisfactory job decorating his new toy to his liking.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalin on January 12th, 2015, 3:32 am

In the extended silence Evalin could not help the slight eye twitch of irritation, but she kept further words to herself. In many ways she was like a child, and she hated to lose even a battle of held tongues. So she waited... and waited, straightening and folding her hands over her chest as she did but she did not break the silence.

When the man finally moved the Immortal could have sighed in relief as the impatient was beginning to wear upon her, and her attention was instantly drawn to the knife as it was pulled. At its appearance Evalin called upon her power, opening her eyes to the other vision so that the world would flash in a spray of colors. Narrowing to points her gaze searched the weapon, suspicion building however... there was nothing there. It was, as it appeared, just a dagger. This, however, did not keep her mind occupied for long for in a few small moments this dull blade was sharpened with the briefest of actions on this creature's part. Evalin's eyes widened slightly as she let the magic fade and her gazed flicked up to the man's eyes, a new found respect... no, not respect. A new found wariness overcame her.

A wince brushed Evailn's features at his words, but as quick as it came her face was a mask once more. Still, the smile faded completely, leaving only a frown and serious eyes to follow the words as they were spoken.

Be he a fool... she thought, taking the dagger as it was extended to her and running her own finger over its blade to test its edge, There be many who would praise the accomplishments I made. If he would but unshackle me I would let him feel what my 'playing' has done.

Of course these thoughts she kept to herself, but the annoyance did reach her eyes. As was suggested she DID remain silent, despite the voice that begged to be released deep within her hate filled subconscious. What she was told to do was, in a way, a small inconvenience. To carve this body would be of no consequence, for she would simply jump to another to be rid of whatever it was he wished to mark upon her. Still, in the back of her mind Evalin knew that there was more to it than simple self mutilation. He knew of her state of being, thus as she turned the dagger over, point toward her midsection, she eyed the blades edge and wondered if what she were carving was merely her flesh.

Pain was fleeting, and in 200 years the sensation had grown dull to the nuit. Well, perhaps not dull but she did not find it quite as interesting as those of the living did. The Immortal had grown bored of pain, and so often simply ignored it. Still, this time felt different. With each successive letter the pain jumped to the forefront of her mind, agonizing in a way that was beyond physical. Perhaps it was not the actual act of carving up her own body, but that she was told to do so by another that caused such hurt to her being.

White quickly covered the blade, ichor pouring free after the first cut was begun. Evalin took her time, eyes focused but glancing from time to time up at the man as she worked and he walked. The carvings were larger as she could make them, and the slow pace etched their meaning clear in her mind as it stood out before she was half way done. White hot, her soul oozing out and her life draining as she herself proclaimed herself property... property of this man name...

"Avene..." her voice was soft, barely above a whisper as her grip tightened on the dagger. Flipping the point over in her fingers the Immortal slammed its tip into the wood of the table so that it stood quivering on its own as she released it, white still dripping from its edges.

Letting her hands fall to either side of her body Evalin did not bother hiding the hate in her eyes as her frown deepened. Upon her abdomen was written:

PROPERTY
OF
AVENE

Flesh was easily parted revealing slightly browning meat within. White ichor flowed from every gash, nearly half an inch deep, and bits of red intermingled as clotted blood joined with the ichor on its way from the wounds. The words covered from just below her sternum down to where her pelvis began. Her flesh was weeping, but her heart was aflame.

Evailn barely paid any mind to the person in the cell, and after a tick she glanced at him and back at Avene and raised her hands slightly at her sides, palms up as she gave an exaggerated bow without letting her eyes lower, "As you wish... Master."

The words were like sand on her tongue, and he cast aside her name without bothering to even know it. Very well, then she would not offer it at all. Let him play with his 'toy' for now. Let him play. For. Now.
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on February 1st, 2015, 5:36 pm

Avene studied the other Nuit as she finished her work. He judged each movement she made, the lack of expression, and even the penmanship she used upon her own skin. He found weakness in the form she chose, though he did half-admire that monstrous shape Uldr had given her. But, that was, again, Uldr's choice, not the Nuit before him. He let her keep the blade, unimportant as it was, and then paused to continue what he thought of as the beginnings of her training and the baseline of his work here.

"Now. I would like you to turn a circle in this lair and tell me what you see. What is here and what is not. What is its potential?" Avene said, knowing he'd be swift with his reaction if her address of him was off or her intelligence lacking. By the Foul Lord, he hoped this one was more intelligent than the last. Nuits and even those marked by Uldr didn't last when they lacked a specific mindset. Before he could put his plans in action, he needed to know if this one would do.

He awaited her answer. Then, when it was uttered or the answer refused, he'd carry on.

"I would also like to know what you are doing in Riverfall and all your plans for the future here. You are obviously in already occupied territory and unfortunately for you the occupier is far stronger than you are both in marks and mentality. That means you being here causes you to fall under my sovereignty. And, of course, that means your plans become my domain and my plans become an utmost priority in your mind. It's just too bad you appear to be alone. If you came with your own minions, that would be a boon to my own standing forces. I cannot, for all that's holy to the Foul One, understand how a twice marked Uldr follower stands before me alone. That is not, truthfully, acceptable in our Lord's eyes. His decree is for our kind to go out and solicit more followers for him. I have cages full here. You have... nothing." Avene said, moving to the side and pulling items out of his desk. He filled a tray with something that clanged and then carrying the tray walked over to a set of cupboards and took something out that looked like a set of pliers.

He laid the tray down on the table beside Evalin and gestured at the two items it held. One was a half ring, with a ball on one end and a loose ball rolling around on the tray beside it. The second item was a set of pliers, the kind used for cutting a punch of flesh out of a bulls nose or a pigs ear to hang a tag from. "You will take the pliers, tilt your own head back, and punch a hole in the cartilage between your nostrils up inside your nose. Do it as high up as you can. These things can be painful if their own weight drags them free of your flesh because you made the stamped cutout too low. Slide the ring through, then attach the ball to the end that it is still open. It simply screws on due to the threading. Once you are done, I will explain the item's purpose." The small man said, reaching up and adjusting his very accountant-like glasses as he waited for her to comply. The ring itself wasn't gold, silver, or any sort of precious metal one might imagine. it was instead something mottled, that looked as if it were partially rusted or decayed, though its surface was smooth.

As soon as the ring was in place, Evalin's senses would flood with the stench of decay, feces, and rotten meat. Avene watched for the reaction, wondering if he would get one or if the Nuit would stand stoic and take it. Once Evalin had done as Avene asked, both in answering his question and inserting her own califant, he'd be more forthright in his explanation. "The ring is called a califant." He started to explain, fully willing to give her the whole scope of its power and the extent of its abilities.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalin on February 1st, 2015, 10:36 pm

She hated how his eyes gazed upon her, like she was cattle. Something low, uninteresting, and weak. The more he stared the more Evalin wanted to rip those little spectacles from his nose and shove them down his throat, but she would not hide herself. Evalin made no effort whatsoever to hide even a small portion of her body from his stares and appraisal, for she knew to do so would be to confirm any thoughts he might have for her.

The trickle of Ichor down her skin was a distraction, and one that brought further thought and emphasis to what was carved into her abdomen. By her own hand Evalin was made to proclaim herself the property of another. Gritting her teeth and biting her tongue Evalin would simply do as she was instructed, for now, and so when commanded she made a turn about to examine the area she was in now. She looked up at it's high ceiling, its walls dotted with cages of various types of beings, sentient and non, and absently she noted it felt slightly damp. What then was she supposed to see? The possibilities?

This exercise made Evalin raise an eyebrow as she made a full circle to return to facing Avene. Many thoughts and words raised to the tip of her tongue, but none of these she let escape past her lips. Instead she tried to rearrange her expression into one of thought as she cast her glance sideways to the walls and the cages therein, "What an odd question... One that seems to change depending on how it is heard, or asked. What is it I see? I see cages of beasts and men set aside like toys that the child does not wish to play with. I see a space that begs to be filled, but of now holds no current purpose." She looked back at Avene and set her hands on her hips, "What I see and what I do not see matters little, and the potential is of no concern for it is not in what may be but what is that truly matters. What potential is there in this place? It might be anything my Master wills it to be. A temple of a most devoted priest," She smirked and looked away, "Or a prison for those who defy my master. A place of worship, of torture, of experimentation. It is a blank slate. But to me it appears as if it is a cage, limiting greater possibilities that the world may offer." Crossing her arms once more Evalin glanced at Avene before gazing around the space, trying to appear as contemplative as possible. He had asked, and she answered truthfully.

When the next question was asked Evalin's expression did break its neutrality. It began in annoyance, transitioning to greater anger before cooling to slight amusement. Though she did not smile, for Evalin could not be certain how this man would react to provocation just yet, Evalin spoke in a neutral tone, "In truth I knew not that this particular area was already under the control of another. I had not heard of the great Avene before this day, though to be certain it shall never be forgotten." She said this part softly as she glanced down at the dagger, plucking it from the wood and running her hand over its edge, "Now then my dear Master... What use have I for servants in cages?"

This time Evalin did smile, a thin lipped smile as those points of red traveled up and around the space, waving the point of the dagger at the poor creatures as she did, "These beasts of yours, fearsome they are and numerous yes... but they are here now, with you. I know not of what good this does our great lord Uldr." She pressed the point of the blade against one finger, her eyes now following her hands motions as she continued, "Should they not be out doing your bidding? Should they not be sent to do as their Master commands, working in your name as well as that of our Lord's? Or perhaps... They are simply useful to you in cages." Glancing up Evalin let her smile fade and her tone turn serious, "Those that follow me need not my attention to do what it is I wish of them. They act on their Master's will without need of my command, and many do not even realize that their will is in fact my own. In truth the numbers I command are not as numerous as my own Master's, as is to be expected... but those I command shall each work to the ends lord Uldr would deem pleasing."

"You believe I am alone...? Never is that so, for even if I am but one body present in the current moment there is always another who stands beside me though he might not be seen, for it is by our Lord's will that I continue to walk this world. His will goes with me, wherever I tread, and within this breast of mine," she tapped the point of the blade over her heart, "I carry his hatred burning strong within, and I spread his seeds in every city and region I pass. Uldr's will now resides in the deepest jungle and on the farthest island, simply waiting for the gardener's hand to make them blossom in full. This, my Master, is my purpose then in passing through even now."

Evalin looked up and extended her arms at her side, "I come here, to your domain, as a way to pass on to other destinations. I have begun to plan the seeds of Uldr's will here as well, but I soon shall venture forth to see to the other budding blossoms that reside elsewhere in Mizahar. For the time I am under my good Master's command, of course, all that I have and am is at your disposal. Please, feel free to pluck the beginning growths from this land if that is your desire." Bowing her head slightly Evalin did smile now, gripping the dagger tighter as she straightened to replace her neutral mask on once more.

When the tray was presented Evalin would lay down the dagger and take up the pliers as she was commanded. The Immortal eyed the instrument warily, but determined not to show any weakness or hesitation Evalin lited her head back and pushed the metal as far as she could in her nostrals and clamped down. The pain was sudden and shape and make the Nuit suck in a quick breath and close her eyes briefly. Setting the pliers down then Evalin made quick work sliding the ring into the newly fashioned hole, barely stopping a tick to examine the thing before it was in place and she was screwing the other ball into place.

It was like Evalin had never smelled anything before in her life. The scents flooded her, eclipsing her other senses as the smell of rotting meat and dung and other detestable smells assaulted her. Evalin had believed she had grown accustomed to the smells that would disgust and turn the stomachs of the living, but even so she found herself repressing a gag as her eyes clamped shut. Her left hand she clamped over her mouth and nose, the right grasped the table for balance as she felt a sudden dizziness. It took a few ticks but the Immortal suddenly remembered she did not need to breath and abruptly stopped the flow of air through her nose entirely. The smells lingered however, but as more and more time passed she was able to regain control of her composure.

Straightening Evalin gently fingered the new accessory, a lingering sense of disgust coming to her mind as she tried once more to breath in. Looking at Avene the Immortal cleared her throat, pretending her reaction had never happened, "What is this... Califant? Why have you given it to me?"

ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes