A Search For Darin Weed

Job thread

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Search For Darin Weed

Postby Merevaika on February 10th, 2015, 10:01 pm

33rd of Winter, 514

There was someone outside the tent. Even if she hadn't heard the crunching of snow beneath their boots, Denviel's alert body would have told her. He growled lightly, the unfamiliar scent bothering him. A dark shadow settled over the entrance to the tent, announcing the fact that was already well known to her. She had a visitor. Merevaika swung open the tent door, a breeze of cold air instantly swirling around her. A woman,  perhaps a little younger herself, stood in a thick woolen cloak, hood pulled over her face. With the sight of Mervaika, the visitor gave out a sigh of relief, pulling down her hood to speak. Her face was pale and freckled, thin blonde hair hanging loosely beside her ears. So she worked inside more than out. Curling up her neck were windmarks: flowers and leaves intertwined with a swirl.

"Are you Merevaika?" she asked, the Pavi seeminging uncomfortable on her tongue. Merevaika gave a sign of agreement, watching as the woman struggled to decipher the language spoken by hands. "I need a guide. They said you were the nearest?"

"I am. And you seek to go where? Why?' Merevaika asked bluntly, not wanting to waste time. The sooner she told her, the sooner she would get money. And Merevaika was hungry.

"There is trouble, at the Riverflower. 5 cases of scorpion stings, and it seems like there will be more. I need some more Darin Weed, to heal them. We're running out, and that could mean deaths. They said you could take me to them," she asked, pleadingly. She faltered with every few words, unable to think of the right words. She was desperate, but that was all Merevaika knew.

She asked for Darin Weed. But what was Darin Weed? Merevaika hadn't heard of the thing. Maybe it was another name for something she knew, maybe not. Maybe she passed it everyday in her way to hunt, maybe it was so rare she had never come across it. Either way, she didn't know where to find it, whatever it was. "I do not know of that name. Perhaps you could describe it to me? Show it, if you have any spare?"

According to the woman, it was green. With long leaves. She stopped her description there, as if thinking of a better way to explain. "There are thousands of green plants with long leaves!" Merevaika sighed, getting more irritated with the second. If she didn't elaborate on her description, Merevaika would lose another customer. And she needed customers. Realising her unclearness, the healer pulled a small book from under the cloak, flicking through pages of sketches and notes. Not Drykas then. No Drykas had books, for Pavi had no written language. She pointed to an image of a reed-like plants, long thin leaves ending in points high above the ground, tufted flowers surrounding the base. Notes were scribbled around, and Merevaika looked at it with a little jealousy of being unable to read.

However, having the drawing pleased her and Merevaika smiled. She knew it, or at least where to find it. "2 days. There and back. Get everything you need. Meet at the gates with a fast horse. And a tent. Travelling at night will be too hard." She didn't add the "with you". If the healer didn't guess, then letting her know wouldn't be a wise idea. Insulting a customer would do little but push them away.

The woman nodded with relief, turning to hurry away. She started to run off, putting away the notebook as she went. The healer didn't even bother to thank Merevaika, not even a second glance. But Merevaika didn't mind. She had a customer.

"And the money!" Merevaika called out behind her. She always demanded the money.
Last edited by Merevaika on February 27th, 2015, 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Words: 569615
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

A Search For Darin Weed

Postby Merevaika on February 10th, 2015, 10:03 pm

Midday
She was late. Erunt snorted impatiently, tent heavy on his back. It was uncomfortable for him to stand still with a heavy load. When running it would shift into place, but when still it seemed to become a whole lot heavier. Late.

Merevaika was surprised at her lateness. She had expected her to arrive earlier if anything, seeing her urgency that morning. Perhaps it was a hoax, a joke on her behalf. Someone making fun of her inexperience. But she had been so believable. At the moment, she wasn't sure what to think.

The woman arrived eventually, hair now tied in a small bun on one side. If that was why she was late, Merevaika would drop the job on the spot. But the woman seemed so frantic, it was hard to believe that the lateness could have been avoided.

"So... Sorry... Too many cases...." she panted, pulling her horse forward. A young white mare, the definite show horse. The legs were rather short and stubby, designed not to run fast. Great. And she wore a saddle, onto which the woman swung herself onto with a little struggle.

"Merevaika..." she started, trailing off in thought. The guide ignored her, mounting Eryunt and leading the two horses out of the city with a brisk trot. "You don't know my name. How rude. I am Alaria, a healer here. I came seeking work, and met my husband, a Drykas. Oh, he is ever so handsome..." she,trailed off again, Merevaika not listening.

"Alaria," she said bluntly, stopping her rant about herself, "What I tell you to do, you do. If I tell you to run, you run. If I tell you to stay away from me, do so. Any false move could not mean your life, but mine and our horses as well. The Sea of Grass is a dangerous place." She sped up a little, allowing Denviel and Alaria's horse to keep up. They covered a good distance, but not what she wished. The landscape didn't fly past as a blur like when she rode Eryunt, galloping over the hills, but seemed to never change, grass and grass and grass.

The healer kept shifting in her saddle, turning and trying to spot Endrykas. She would be lost within half a day on her own. Besides, all that shifting confused her horse, who swayed side to side as if unsure whether her turning was directed to her or not. "Stay still. Back straight, head up. Don't try to find the city, we are too far. I won't lose us," Merevaika sighed, thesight getting too much to bear. She herself was paying close attention to the direction they were going, but was using the sun more than anything else.

Her father had taught her. 'Rise in the east, sets in the west, never faces north, highest in the south," he had drilled into her, day after day, determined to make her navigate the Sea of Grass with the same ease that he did. Her father taught her many things, and would have taught her more, if he could. If he had lived.
Last edited by Merevaika on February 11th, 2015, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Search For Darin Weed

Postby Merevaika on February 10th, 2015, 10:10 pm

They were apporaching the river now, but the sun had almost set. The two riders still had to cross it and ride another bell or so to reach the plant the healer wanted. Merevaika brought Eryunt through the water, boots completely submerged. It was deep but Eryunt strided through it with hidden strength,
fighting the current.

"Wait! Belle won't follow! I've kicked her hard, but she won't enter the river!" came a cry from the other woman. Merevaika rolled her eyes, not believing her luck. Alaria seemed to be the most incompetent fool there was at riding. True, not everyone could take their horse through deep water, but the way she said it...
Returning to the bank, she gestured at Alaria to dismount. Confused, she refused. "I thought I had told you to follow my word to the letter," Merevaika hissed, becoming impatient. Alaria gave her a rather angry look, but did so. Merevaika
helped her onto Eryunt, showing her where to hold on. "Hold tight," she warned, slapping Eryunt forward. He snorted, relucant to carry this foreign rider who didn't know how to ride with a yvas, but carried on forward, reaching the other side in no time at all.

Merevaika turned to the healer's horse. "Steady girl, " she muttered, mounting in the way she believed correct. She wasn't used to saddles, never having sat in one. She slotted her feet into the stirrups, taking the reins like she had seen
many others do.

She tapped the horse gently, unsure if how Belle reacted. The horse slowly trotted forward, stopping beside the river, staring at the icy cold waters that seemed so fast. Merevaika held herself relaxed, trying to show the horse that there was nothing to fear. They stood watching the river for a while before the horse's breathing slowed and her head dropped.
Merevaika tapped softly again and this time Belle slowly entered, water high to the small horse. With small reassuring taps, Merevaika guided the mare across to join her own horse and dog on the other side.

They swapped horses and soon went back on their way, riding faster than ever. Belle struggled to keep up but Merevaika knew the necessity of being in a somewhat sheltered position. They reached the curve in the river and Merevaika pointed out the plant. Alaria nodded, preparing her equipment. "Gather what you can. We'll have a little time in the morning too, if it is better fresh. " Alaria shook her head, seeing of on picking as many herbs as she could gather.
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Search For Darin Weed

Postby Merevaika on February 11th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Merevaika heaved the yvas off her horse, wiping off the sweat and built up dirt from the ride. Belle snickered, and Merevaika realised that she had just been abandoned. She searched the saddle for a way to remove it and took of the tack, leaving it on a pile on the floor. Using a wet cloth, she wiped around the mare's eyes and face, clearing the dust and sweat before wiping down the rest of her. The young woman took the horses for a walk along, stopping to allow them a drink as she set up a trap, using various rocks to hold the rope.

Satisfied with her work, she returned to where Alaria had set up the tents. She was still working on her own when Merevaika arrived.

"I hope you don't mind me setting up. Thought you would like the help. Now would you mind making a fire? " she said, Merevaika feeling like a slave. She knelt beside the scraps of tinder, scraping the flint and steel together. After a few unsuccessful attempts, a spark landed on the tinder, and Merevaika softly blew on it, letting it build up to a large flame.

"What is for dinner? " Alaria asked having returned from her job. Merevaika shook her head, annoyed. Now she was demanding dinner! It was only lucky that she had brought an uneaten hare along with her. She retrieved it from her bags, quickly skinning it with her knife. She tore the meat into strips and borrowed some sticks from Alaria. Wrapping them around the sticks, she was about to hold them over the fire when Alaria snatched them out of her hands.

"What are you doing?" Merevaika asked frowning as the healer gathered some moss like plant and smothered the meat with it, "If that's poisonous, we have no food left!" She smiled in reply, putting them over the fire.

"Trust me, they'll taste better," was all she said, before taking a cooked piece and tearing into it. Mervaika, after seeing the healer do so followed suit, taking a large bite. The meat was juicy and succulent, with a zesty, citrus flavour. "You find the herb near rocks and water. The same green as the grass. It has a distinct citrus smell, unlike anything else,"Alaria explained, Merevaika a little glad for the information. Maybe she would find some for next time.

After the meal, Alaria disappeared into her tent, leaving Merevaika to silently stamp out the last of the fire and retreat to her own bed. Tomorrow they would return, and Merevaika wanted as early as a start as possible.
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Search For Darin Weed

Postby Merevaika on February 11th, 2015, 4:43 pm

34th of Winter, 514
When she awoke, Alaria had already left in search of new herbs, and it appeared that she had taken her horse with her. There was an odd silence, despite the fact that this arrangement of just the woman and her dog and her horse wasn't uncommon for Merevaika. She gestured to Denviel to follow her and left her horse with the camp. Eryunt was likely to be able to be able to scare of any thieves for they would believe that the owner would be with the horse, and he would certainly try to fight them off if they came closer. Merevaika smiled softly to herself. How ironic - a thief trying to protect herself from robbery.

There was no luck with the snares.They were as empty and untouched as when they were made. Not even broke rope or footprints to signify an animal passing. She supposed that she hadn't been trying too hard when she put them up - Merevaika hadn't tried to find the best position, but put them up rather randomly. She gathered them up, hoping to reuse them, before returning to camp with her dog at her heels.

She then started to pack up her tent, first pulling it down before folding the material to a small, although thick, square which slotted nicely just under the yvas. It would be a little uncomfortable to both rider and horse, but they would have to bear with it at least one more time. Thinking of how Alaria had set up her tent for her, Merevaika took her customer's tent down too, treating it as she did hers.. Having packed up everything into her yvas bags or the healer's saddle bags, she mounted Eryunt and waited.

Alaria arrived not too long after, pouch of herbs overflowing. Smiling at the ready packed saddle bags, she attached them to Belle, following Merevaika.

"I was thinking about the problem of the river, and figured it would be easier to travel a little more east before crossing it, since I think it is shallower there." Merevaika led them towards the sun which had just risen, leading them east before turning right and heading south. That was right, wasn't it? She wasn't too sure.

When they finally reached the river, she sighed with relief, glad to not have become list. It was in fact shallower there, Merevaika glad to have guessed that the further up the river you go, the shallower it became. She was glad to have remembered the direction it was flowing too.

Belle crossed with less fast this time, and they were soon on their way again across solid land. There it was. The city of Endrykas lay a little ahead, the tents becoming clear now. She slowed, sinking into the saddle. The two riders settled into a walk as they discussed the matter of payment.

"Thank you, " Alaria smiled, handing her a purse of coins. They rattled as they hit against each other. Merevaika threw it in a playful way before securing it to Eryunt's yvas. They had now entered the city and stood at an open street, surrounded by tents and people. "And you will also have the thanks of the other healers and of the patients. You may have saved many lives today. Thank you. "

She smiled once more before disappearing into the city. Merevaika watched behind her, as the young healer disappeared into the crowd. Thank you Merevaika smiled to herself, Thank you for the job .
Last edited by Merevaika on February 27th, 2015, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Search For Darin Weed

Postby Khida on February 16th, 2015, 1:29 am

Merevaika

Skill Points
Cooking +1
Horsemanship +1
Land Navigation +1
Observation +2
Riding +1
Trapping +1
Wilderness Survival +1
  • Alaria: a foreign healer with a foreign horse
  • The appearance of darin weed
  • Cooking: roasting meat strips on sticks
  • Herbalism: darin weed to cure scorpion stings
  • Land Navigation: the directions of the sun
  • Horsemanship: giving a rubdown after a long ride
  • Riding: the use of saddle and stirrups
  • Survival: building a fire with flint and steel

Notes

I don't envy Merevaika, having to deal with Alaria on this trip! At least she got paid for her trouble. I have one small note: please deduct the cost of the rabbit from your ledger.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade. Also, please edit your request to show this thread has been graded.
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)