In Loving Memory Of

Kiva honors the death of her parents and experiences new heights.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Citadel of the Dead Queen, Black Rock is the island off of the eastern coast of Falyndar. Mythic and mysterious, few know what truly inhabits it. [Lore]

In Loving Memory Of

Postby Kiva on March 1st, 2015, 8:46 pm

1st of Spring, 515 A.V
    The Eastern Bay

"You can do this. This is nothing."

Kiva paced at the edge of the cliff, looking around. Anyone that would normally be littering the area had moved inland for the celebration at Dira's Tower. The rocks around her were smooth and dark, with crevices and cracks, and beyond that, the Eastern bay rolled gently in preparation, lopping at the bottom of the plunge. Its waves were fluid and the sky was clear enough. It looked peaceful, with the foam and sea mist spraying upwards. Some birds flew overhead and circled the waters. Glancing over the decent once more, Kiva felt a small fear in the pit of her stomach. She nodded, determined. That fear made today worth it. She was going to channel it. She was going to celebrate it.

She cleared her throat, brushing hair from her face as she looked into the sky and bowed deeply to an imaginary audience. A few gulls called in response but she ignored them, giving her annual announcement, "This act is in remembrance of Rakia of The Crimson Sun, and Dro of The Red Orchid!"

Every year on the first of spring, Kiva honored the death of her immediate family by facing a fear and risking her life. It would be a foolish tradition by those who found out, but by doing these acts, not only was she strengthening herself against the weakness of terror, but she respected death the closer she came to experiencing it. In a way, it was a way for her to also appreciate life.

Giving one more look at the water, Kiva stripped off her hated shoes, setting them on the ground. She proceeded to take anything out of her pockets that could drag her down, muttering a prayer under her breath for courage, "Oh, Dira, goddess of death, I give thanks to your guidance, leading my mother and father to their resting place years ago. May you spare me once again as I tempt fate in honor of their memory. Let me feel life, so that when we meet, I may love death all the more. And if you find it my time, may you guide me steadfast to Myri's embrace so that I return to my people... Myri, give me strength and lead me unto victory. Amen"

Kiva kept her eyes stuck on the waters, hooking her thumbs under the waistband of her pants. She slid them off, not quite concerned if anyone was around to see. The only ones she could imagine being around would be the Svefra. From guessing, the sea-faring people were a rather bold group, so she assumed they would have less trouble with nudity than most. If they had a problem with it, they could bring it up with her when she was done. If they were willing to approach a Myrian female, that is. Next came her top, which she pulled off just as easily, followed by sandals.

Bare feet smacking against the stone, she was too distracted by the upcoming edge and water that lay beyond. Strong legs propelling her forward, the tall Amazonian woman raced by, flashing by her belongings. Get ready. Here we go! In seconds she was at the edge. Her legs stopped moving and she bent at the knees and leaped. A loud cry escaped her lips, fading in volume the further she fell. Her legs kicked wildly in the air. A image of her smacking into the water flashed in her mind as wind raced by her ears and she put her legs together and pulled her arms in.

Like a torpedo, she sliced through the surface, the momentum sending her curving and slowing the deeper she went.

She had survived the fall.

The water was cold, not frigid, but definitely cool. It surprised her and she struggled towards the surface. Opening her eyes stung and bubbled erupted skyward. The visibility was fair, and having any sort of sight helped her nerves. Trying to remain as calm as possible, she began kicking her feet. At first nothing happened but she moving her arms and soon she was moving towards the surface, but with difficulty. The force of the waves wasn't strong, but it continued to pull her sideways. She kicked harder, using her arms to push her forward.

Kiva didn't fully believe she would live through the jump, half expecting there to be some monster at the bottom of the waters or at least some sharp rocks to impale her. To find that she was swimming was a good sign... Right?

Right?
Last edited by Kiva on July 3rd, 2015, 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Words: 225555
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2015, 7:34 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

In Loving Memory Of

Postby Kiva on March 19th, 2015, 1:04 am

Kiva kicked full force, stretching her arms outward and waving them to attempt to stay afloat. The waves were tame, but lapped playfully and Kiva quickly learned she was unable to keep up. Her arms began to tire, and no matter her attempt to move towards the shore, she found herself continually pushed closer to the rocky drop off. There, the water crashed, rising and spraying mist. Once against it, the spray began to get into her eyes, and she spit out the salty brine, gritting her teeth against the water's assault. Her hair swirled in the water, knotting and sticking to her face. Desperately, Kiva clung to the rocky wall, reaching up to try and grab any hooks in the stone. The water had smoothed most of where it hit, and a panic began to strike her heart. Adrenaline began to ooze through her veins.

Shurak! I should be able to do this!

Cursing herself and her weakness, Kiva sucked in a deep breath and allowed herself to be taken under and push against the rocky ledge The force of the water gave her enough resistance to reach out claw at whatever brine had accumulated over the years. The salt threatened to cut her hands, scrapping them lightly as she went. Her lungs burned.

Kiva resurfaced, gasping for air. More water sprayed and her hair lapped around her. When she had taken the challenge of jumping from such heights, a newly discovered fear, she had assumed the water would be the easy part if she wasn't impaled. Kiva was quickly learning her folly. This was not like the rising waters in the jungles during monsoon season. This water dried her skin, tasted bitter and burned her eyes. It was sharp. Kiva laughed. What is this? Surely not Makutsi!
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

In Loving Memory Of

Postby Kiva on March 31st, 2015, 8:32 pm

Kiva kicked, fought, and struggled. The water rose and washed over her shoulders, and she alternated between gasping for breath and holding it. Her breathing became labored and while she did make progress towards the awaiting beach around the curve of the stone wall, getting relentlessly bashed by salty waves weakened her strength.

She kept pushing herself. Endurance was her goal. Perseverance. Pain. Survival. She felt like she was fighting against this unknown force, and brown eyes staring outward, she was. A vast, seemingly endless ocean mocked her, laughed softly as the waves pushed against her skin. She paddled harder, her large form pressing back. And somehow she felt so small. Try as she might, her progress was still too slow. She would die within eye shot of the coast, helpless.

Ha. Time to take responsibility for my actions. she mused, barely able to keep herself afloat for any longer. May Dira find me in these dark waters.

Kiva knew her end was approaching, brought on by herself, no doubt. She stopped trying to resist, gripping the rock as best she could, and allowed herself to be pressed against it. Attempting to regain her breath, she prepared for another round of futile swimming. Just as she was about to push away, something moved in the water. It's large mass went unnoticed by the Myrian, who was too preoccupied with simply breathing air.

It brushed against her leg.

Kiva recoiled, trying to twist, and pull her leg close to her body at the same time. She lost her hold and slid beneath the waves, opening her eyes instinctively to see what had touched her. Nothing. She swung her arms underwater to turn, and out of nowhere a large mass emerged. It floated with a strange grace, almost like a barrel made of fat moving slowly through the water. Despite its size, it didn't sink. Kiva's eyes widened, and she tried to move away, but the drop off was already behind her, stopping her. It turned, looking at her, and Kiva's mouth dropped, flooding with liquid.

She kicked hard in the water, shooting towards the surface. A new fear struck her. Drowing was exhausting, getting eaten alive was painful. What is that thing!? She took a deep breath before going back underneath the water, a muffled shriek leaving her mouth when it came straight at her and brushed against her leg. It did not attempt to bite her, and no immediate pain came from the contact. She watched it closely, and it floated lazily.

ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

In Loving Memory Of

Postby Kiva on June 19th, 2015, 8:35 pm

Kiva was sure she was soon to die, the monster beneath her taunting her until it made her its next meal. Lifting her leg to kick at the beast, she felt something stop her and she sunk underwater, trashing. Opening her eyes a man with blonde hair swirling around his head stared at her, shaking his head. He pushed her foot away, all the while, the Myrian's lungs burned. He grabbed her shoulders and pushed her weight to the ocean's surface, and quickly joined her. "Whaddya think ye doin?" he spat, blue eyes demanding answers. Kiva sucked in the salty air, weak.

Noticing her state, his eyes widened and without saying another word, he wrapped his arms around her and began to swim towards the shore. The current proved trying, but the man was a skilled swimmer and moved nearly effortlessly through the water. If Kiva had the energy, she would have commented on it. Instead, she clung to the stranger, surprised and thankful for the assistance, although she would never admit the latter.

The blonde haired man dragged her to shallow waters, and Kiva began pulling herself with weak arms onto the beach. Sand stuck to her stomach and arms, and curled between her toes. Beside her, the Svefra stood, moving in front of her and offered his hand. Kiva looked up at her savior, breathing heavily. She lifted a hand and his calloused fingers wrapped around hers. He gave a hard tug, helping the Myrian to her feet. Kiva nearly fell down until he helped to balance her.

"Are ye okay?"

Kiva gave a steady nod, glancing over her shoulder at the rolling waves of the ocean. In the water, Kiva could see the fat creature floating patiently, as if it was waiting on them. She looked over at the man.

"I'm alive," she whispered, taking in the sensation of the wind running across her skin, and the dull sunlight. She smelled the ocean air, and the fabric of her clothes sticking shamelessly to her body. Kiva started to smile.

"Why were ye out there?" The Svefra finally asked after giving her some time to regain her breath, "And by the rocks. Those ain't for land dwellers. Ye don't have the legs for it."

Kiva wanted to argue, glare at him for suggesting her weak, but... she was not a great swimmer. She was barely a swimmer at all, if she was being honest. If he hadn't come along, the current would have finished tiring her out and she would have drowned. Holding her tongue was her own way of saying thanks.

"I was challenging fate for my family."

The Svefra gave her a funny look, and a small chuckle, "What?"

"I honor those I have lost by tempting fate. Coming close to death... it shows you your humanity. It humbles me and I feel alive, unlike my kin. Dira and Myri have allowed me to live another day."

The Svefra remained quiet for a moment, taking in this strange tradition, "That wasn't the will of them gods, lass. Praise be to Laviku."

Laviku? "Who is Laviku?" Kiva demanded, appalled this man would say such things. She felt insulted by his words. To suggest Myri didn't have anything to do with her survival was shocking in itself.

This time, it was the blonde man's turn to be stunned, "Ye don't know who Laviku is and ye go in'te his domain?" A sharp release of air, and he wiped water from her face, "Laviku is the god of the ocean, and patron to my people. He makes the waves roll, and thee fish swim!"

Kiva blinked. God of the ocean? Kiva turned, looking out among the vastness of the water. She had thought perhaps... Makutsi, but Makutsi's work was different than this. This Laviku... he was powerful. "Why him?" Kiva inquired, skeptical.

"What is Myri's domain?" he countered.

The answer was instantaneous, "War and victory."

"War and victory," he repeated, "The way I see it, almost dying isn't victory. The reason ye didn't die is because my tavan lead me to you. My tavan is a creature of the sea, a creation of Laviku. Laviku wanted you alive. That current alone should have swallowed ye."

Shaking his hair out, the Svefra went and retrieved some stuff hidden among the rocks. Among them was a towel and a change of fresh clothes. He returned to Kiva and tossed her the items, "Here. If Laviku wants ye alive, I won't let ye die from a cold."

The fabrics fell at her feet with a whoosh, and Kiva nodded in respect. Kindness was appreciated, "Thank you." The new discovery of a god left her with both questions and awe. Such power in the water. Such unknown. As she unfolded the shirt, it was then that she remembered she was absolutely naked.

Kiva began to tug on the cloth, the fabric a clean white. Kiva didn't have the impression that it was worn often, as the male didn't seem in any rush to put on anything more than his black trousers. The Svefra was smaller than her, so although it gave some leeway from its loose style, Kiva still found it tight around her breasts and barely long enough to cover her lower half. It looked like the only pants he had were the ones he was wearing. Kiva didn't mind.

The male grinned at her, "Not shy, are ye?"

"Not particularly," she replied, wrapping her hair up in the towel and shrugging.

"No reason to be, the way ye look."

Was he being bold with her? Kiva quirked an eyebrow and ignored the comment, "My things are on the cliff. I will need to retrieve them."

"Oi, I'll go with ye. Just let me tell ol' Goose. Do ye like manatees? Ah, probably not, since I stopped you from kicking him in the face." Before Kiva could protest, he was trudging back into the water.

Manatee? What's that? I thought that monster was a tavan?

[End of Part I]
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

In Loving Memory Of

Postby Pulren Marsh on July 6th, 2015, 8:19 pm

A Grade is Coming
Your Wave
Honoring Dira was almost a meeting! Be careful, Myrian!

Kiva
XP
  • Observation 3
  • Swimming 3
  • Climbing 1
  • Running 1
  • Endurance 2
Lores
  • Laviku: God of the Ocean
  • Tradition: Face a Fear and Risk Life to Honor the Dead
  • Facing Your Fears
  • Swimming: Legs and Arms in for Diving
  • Saltwater, not Freshwater
  • Climbing: Reach for Handholds

If you need clarifications, don't hesitate to PM.

Til next time,

Pulren Marsh

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)