[Training Grounds] To Serve Squires

Kreig is being trained by Ser Wade whilst his patron is writing up reports.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Kreig Messer on March 13th, 2015, 6:00 pm

Spring 12th 515 A.V., 9th Bell, 40th chime.

To say his second day back in the city was hectic, to say the least. As it were, a two-season duty to a city such as Kenash wasn’t something denoting a few days of rest, particularly since it denoted very little combat. For squires like Kreig, that mean there was no rest from training…. For the Knights who were away that meant a good chunk of their time spent writing reports for their superiors then off to attend to their regular duties. Kreig could only sight as he found himself back at the training grounds, though he appeared to be quite disdained at having to resume training so resume, it didn’t take a genius to note that much of it was false. In truth Kreig was GLAD to be back on the fields, a bloody proper training area to train his skills as needed.

Back in Kenash there was very little space for them to train, forcing them to commandeer one of the rooms at the boarding house they were assigned to by the Dynasts. What that meant was mostly body building and limited sparring due to the close confines. It was annoying to titanic degrees, but Kreig and the Knights managed…. But by the gods it felt liberating to be back at a training ground with vast space and a bloody open sky.

In his hand he held a blunt piece of steel that could be called a longsword if it were sharpened, as it were however it was simply a painful training aid that could induce sever bruises and break bone, which in truth was only a step better than receiving bleeding wounds and a nice hole in the torso. In his other hand was a round shield that reinforced with steel, the round circular disk’s purpose was to prevent harm to come to him, although truth be told its usefulness depended on the situation…. Blocking a warhammer doesn’t stop it from breaking bone, although one could argue that without it you’d have a mushy stump where there used to be an arm.

Clad in his personal armor, which consisted of breastplate, stud guantlets and grieves, he stood before Ser Wade Brock, a veteran knight of the order with an authority that was not be matched even by most other knights his rank. They stood upon a slightly secluded part of the training grounds, still visible to the many squires and knights who trained here but none of them quite close as to hear or take notice…. It would say much about their schedules if they had.

So Kreig, I assume you to be ready for today’s session?” Asked Ser Wade with that perpetually stern look upon his face, clad in the order’s light armor which was often worn during missions that required the knight to be mobile on his feet or during the Summer days were the Order’s more iconic plate armor would have been quite counterproductive.

x
Last edited by Kreig Messer on March 13th, 2015, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kreig Messer on March 13th, 2015, 6:02 pm

Kreig nearly wanted to blurt out “ As ready as I’ll ever be” But knowing of the veteran’s stern and serious nature had decided against and simply gave a confident nod and the more professional “ Yes Ser!” With an acknowledging nod of the head, Ser Wade took battle positions with his own set of sword and shield with Kreig mimicking the same motion, ready to commence their battle.

No warning came as Ser Wade launched forward, thrusting his blade forward at Kreig’s midsection with the intention to skewer. Kreig reacted as fast as he could as he lifted his shield and angled himself so that Ser Wade’s blade would slide off his shield, the grating sound of the blunt blade against the shields surface emanating loudly through the tense atmosphere. That, however did nothing to deter the veteran knight’s momentum as he swung his sword away and brought up his shield like a wall, Kreig’s own shield position along with that of his sword was too clumsy and slow as the bash broke through his defenses and knocked Kreig flat on his arse and left a nice bruise on the right side of his face.

Oh shyke…” The sensation of pain Kreig felt equated to the volume of Ser Titus’ own booming voice, combining with the unexpected brutality unleashed by Ser Wade meant that it was particularly staggering.

I’m afraid that is far from passable Kreig, whilst you guarded against my thrust admirably you didn’t respond with a parry. Furthermore, you weren’t fast enough to react to the shield bash I unleashed against your person” Chastised the elder knight as he looked down upon the defeated squire, who winced at the tone being used. Kreig understood fully that he didn’t do the best he could, or rather should, have done. “ Now stand up and lets have another go, your patron requested that I aid you in your training whilst she fills out her reports and I don’t intend to do her any disservice by going easy on you

Yes, Sir” Responded Kreig groggily as he lifted himself off the ground, reluctantly taking the battle position again, then to promptly replace that reluctance with a look of confidence as he suddenly went on the offensive as he stepped forward and swung his blade horizontally with a back handed grip from left to right, only for Ser Wade to parry the blade further to the right as he stepped back and swung his shield to push the tip of Kreig’s blade away. Immediately the elder knight retaliated with an upward vertical slash, for which Kreig responded by raising his shield quick for the defence….thankfully so he was able to block the attack, but the force behind it put a strain on his arm that, while negligible, would be something he would not wish to accumulate.

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on March 13th, 2015, 6:04 pm

Better, Kreig. However still not good enough!” Kreig didn’t bother to respond as he stepped back and took his barings once more before launching into another attack, at least that was the plan…. No sooner had he stepped back Ser Wade had launched with a thrust aimed at Kreig’s midsection. With a look that said ‘SHYKE’ all over it, Kreig lifted his blade; rotating the blade so that it clashed with Ser Wade’s then lifted it up and pushed it away to the side and finally bringing his sword down in an overhead strike, only for the steel to be stopped by the rim of Ser Wade’s shield, Kreig’s eyes quickly widened as he felt the heavy touch of the Knight’s blade stabbing his thigh, his eyes looking down to note the blunt tip pressed firmly against it.

As far as blade work goes Kreig, yours is acceptable Kreig. But as far as using a shield, you are sorely lacking, as well as footwork ” Kreig could only wince as he nodded and listened “ If I were in your shoes, a man in his prime with muscles beneath his form, I would have followed with a shield bash with all my weight behind it and staggered my opponent back, perhaps dislocating his shoulder in the process or forcing him to drop his blade. As you’ve witnessed, it was easy for me to bring up my shield and block your strike, if I were an inexperience fighter your strike might have hit but that is not always the case…..as you should know ” Pulling his blade away and standing to look at the defeated squire, Kreig could only sigh as he lowered his own blade… self-disappointment evident in his features.
You’re even harsher than Sera Natasha, ser” Kreig remarked.

As it should be, Kreig. One day you might become a knight, perhaps even one under my command. A Knight’s life is one of danger, as you well know” Kreig nodded, knowing well enough just what kind of dangers Knight’s get into, especially since he himself had experienced them more often than not “ So any harshness that you may perceive is simply me doing my best to not get you killed, and preventing you from getting the rest of us killed…” He had to grimace at that, in other words he’s like a parent trying to get their unruly kids to shape up on a constant basis…. Though, with few exceptions of course, none of the knights he’d seen could be called unruly.

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on March 13th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Gods… I’d hate to be in your position Ser. Don’t think I’d be doing as well as you” The elder knight nodded before saying…

Believe me, the future doesn’t care…. Now lets resume” And so he took a few steps back, his blade holding his sword firmly and shield diligently as he stared down the squire. Kreig mimicked the action yet there was glaring differences, as it usually were when it was between a master and a novice “ Now remember, you have a shield. I highly advise you begin making use of it.

Sounds more like a threatening warning rather than advice…’ Kreig thought wearily, if this were a regular fight he’d be fighting his way….but alas, tis not a regular and so he must fight as his training dictates. He quickly pushed the thoughts away however, concluding that he must enjoy what he can from this and learn how to use the shield bloody properly if he ever wanted to take a stab at knighthood.

As soon as a tick had passed, Ser Wade had launched forward with a downward corner slash and so Kreig quickly, or quickly as he could, brought up his shield to deflect the attack. However it turned into nothing more than a rough block as he could feel the impact blade on shield through his arm. But now was not the time to ponder on the weight it put on his arm as he suddenly felt it lessen slightly and immediately imagined what would come next. Immediately he repositioned his shield forward as a wall, which quickly met with the vicious impact of Ser Wade’s shield ‘Gods, I wonder If this is him holding back or being serious…..if it were the former then I’d hate to be the poor shyker who meets Ser Wade on the battlefield

Suddenly another came, quickly knocking him out of his brief thoughts as the master warrior bashed again with impressive force. Kreig grunted in exasperation as he looked over his shield to see the veteran’s ever perpetual frown decorating his face ‘Well, you certainly aren’t acting like a man out of your prime’ Came the silent remark as he anticipated the old knight to do it again. It was only due to his own strength and durability that he remained standing, yet he wasn’t willing to risk getting bashed a third time.

As expected the third bash came, yet instead of just taking it head on once more the brawler moved with the strike as shields collided with much impact, using the moment to step back then shift around to the knights shield side ‘Alright old man, time to see if ye like the taste of yer own medicine’ With a vengeance he rammed the front of his shield to clash with that of Ser Wade’s with all his weight behind it, he thought it would succeed but despite the satisfyingly hard impact the veteran knight did not even budge. Kreig’s brow raised in shock, surprised the old knight could stop his charge as he looked over his shield to look at the seemingly-perpetual stoic face he had grown used to during his time as a squire.
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on March 13th, 2015, 6:06 pm

That…was better Kreig, but unfortunately for you; I had a more firm footing” Now Kreig’s other brow raised up in a look of surprise as the elder knight took advantage of Kreig’s stupefied moment to slide to Kreig’s sword side and brought his in a slashing towards Kreig’s neck, stopping the blade mere inches away from the Brawler’s neck “ And now you are dead

Kreig’s eyes closed as he sighed in a mixture of disappointment and irritation at the turn of events ‘Total defeat’ Though he supposed it was to be expected, Ser Wade was a master swordsman as far as he knew. Even if the elder knight had gone ‘easy’ as he claimed, the difference between them was as clear as day and Knight as he lowered his blade and shield.

I did badly, didn’t I ser?” Kreig turned his head to look at the elder knight who had lowered his own weapons. The Knight shook his head in a disagreement but Kreig could see that, if only to an extent, that it was true.

With sword and shield I suppose you’d be able to handle common riffraff or win a spar with some other squires, but anything more? I’m afraid you stand a far better chance with those fists you’re so proud of” Other words, far from ready for knighthood. Ser Wade could tell that Kreig was unsatisfied, not that it was a difficult thing since the Squire’s emotion were practically on his sleeves, but with the way he handled the rowdy squire he supposed he would have felt the same in his position “ I will put in a recommendation to your Patron that you focus more on sword and shield techniques, Kreig. Training is all you need to conquer this particular weakness so don’t worry yourself if you feel inadequate”

Oh no, I don’t feel inadequate at all! Just slightly saddened at my own progress which has dampened my self-esteem somewhat ’ He thought sarcastically as he unconsciously rubbed at the bruise on his face. Sometimes he wished he’d be qualified purely for his unarmed martial prowess, but he understood the Orders reasoning a bit so he went along with it “So what I’m I to do now?” Kreig asked the elder Knight, who automatically responded with one single word that represented the remainder of his day.

Drilling, a seemingly endless amount of drilling that threatened to give the Brawler a migraine like no other, both literally and figuratively.

Next time, I’ll cower under my bed…

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Orin Fenix on April 5th, 2015, 1:24 am

Grades are Served

Kreig Messer
Skill XP
Weapon: Shield 3
Socialization 3
Observation 1
Endurance 2
Weapon: Longsword 2
Tactics 2

Lores
  • It's Good to be Back
  • Shield: Blocking a Strike
  • Shield: Can Also Bash With It
  • Ser Wade: Spry for his Age

Shield Points
4 Training

Extras :
I always love me a good training thread. It's great to see Kreig struggling a bit to adjust to a completely different fighting style.

Don't forget to edit or delete your grade request in the grade request thread.

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to send me a message.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)