Completed [The Great Harbor] Chasing the Tide (solo)

Orin is reunited with Crest

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Great Harbor] Chasing the Tide (solo)

Postby Orin Fenix on March 18th, 2015, 11:20 pm

65th of Spring, 515 AV

"What? That's highway robbery! There is no way that I am paying thirty golden mizas!" Orin was flabbergasted. He'd been eying the goods of a Svefra merchant who'd come in for the Nal'Lyeo. They'd set up an impromptu market by the docks. Their goods were wildly exotic. However, the Svefra seemed to have a strange grasp on economics. This Svefra was selling fishing gear and she didn't appear to understand the concepts of mizas. Orin didn't know how they normally worked deals when they landed at ports. When Orin had pointed out the two fishing poles and the fishing net he wanted, taking out the pouch with his coins, the woman had tilted her head quizzically. She seemed dumbstruck that people used coins to represent property and possessions and Orin was at his wit's end after having spent a quarter of a bell explaining it to her. When she'd finally figured it out, she'd come out with a sum that was so outrageous that Orin's jaw had dropped. "I'll give you five, tops." Orin was far from being a skilled negotiator but he vaguely knew that you were supposed to start low and the other person started high and you met somewhere in the middle. At least, that seemed to be the general idea. Unless you were the one selling in which case you should do the opposite, Orin supposed.

The woman, her wrinkled face crinkling in annoyance, stabbed a finger at Orin. "Twenty-five then!" She was missing teeth and her gaps were unfilled, dark spots against the white. That wasn't much of an improvement. Orin didn't know whether he should stick to his number or revise upwards in the hope that she would correspondingly do the same. Haggling didn't come naturally to Orin. He didn't really get the need for it. It would save everybody a whole lot of time and effort just to state the price for the good and let people buy it or not. The element of uncertainty and extra knowledge of people needed to haggle convincingly wasn't something Orin thought that he'd ever be able to master. Still it didn't appear he had a choice in the matter in this particular instance. "Seven gold and five silver. I think that's more than suitable for what I'm purchasing." The merchant had the audacity to laugh in Orin's face. Apparently his stinginess was amusing to her. She crossed her arms across her chest. "Twenty," she barked out. Her voice had that lilt Orin was starting to associate with the seafolk.

Part of the reason this negotiation was taking forever was because not only did money mystify this lady, she spoke only halting common. And Orin didn't speak a word of the tradetongue that the Svefra favored. So all of their interactions involved quite a bit of gesticulation. Orin had been reduced to pantomime for his demonstrations and pointing to indicate the goods he was interested in. She seemed to have an especially dull mind considering how long it took her to pick up new concepts. Orin gritted his teeth. Of course he would've given this while endeavor up long ago but at this point it was a matter of pride. Also, the two fishing poles bore a striking resemblance to the ones Orin had as a child. Of course that was likely wistful thinking. And all fishing poles probably looked nearly identical. But once the idea had wormed its way into Orin's brain he'd been unable to get rid of it. So he was sticking to this. "Ten gold ones, I don’t even have that much more than that on me!” Orin immediately cursed his slip of the tongue as the woman’s eyes lit up.

It was true though. Ten golden mizas would be a significant chunk of Orin’s overall income. And if he was forced to go any higher than that, he couldn’t afford it. After all, with the amount of times he’d had to go to the doctors and healers and herbalists he needed to have a tidy amount squared away against future emergencies. And Orin had been getting a little bit tired of being bossed around in the kitchen. He’d decided that one day he’d open his own place, and that cost quite a bit of money, especially if Orin didn’t want to be paying back an exorbitant loan. So Orin had better start saving now. ”Twenty of the golden,” was the Svefra’s response. Orin scowled at her. ”I can do twelve max.”

Her eyes got shrewd then. ”Three more for the fifteen, not bad,” she slyly replied. Orin threw up his hands in disgust. This purchase wasn’t worth beggaring himself for that was for sure. He’d simply have to go to some other shop. One where they spoke common and they had reasonable prices. He shook his head and turned to walk away.
Last edited by Orin Fenix on March 19th, 2015, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on March 19th, 2015, 12:43 am

He only got a few paces when the merchant’s voice rang out behind him. ”Wait! I make deal! Fine?” Orin halted and spun slowly until he was facing her again. He put his hands on his hips and narrowed his eyes at her. He would hear out this final offer of hers. It would hurt to spend a few more chimes on this, Orin supposed. ”Alright, let’s hear it.” The woman hesitated. Orin squinted at her, unsure why she wasn’t speaking. She opened and closed her mouth multiple times. It seemed that she didn’t know the words. Or she was just messing with Orin at this point. Finally she pointed at his hip, the moved to pull an imaginary sword from its sheathe.

Orin, startled, looked at the sword belted around his waist. It was a souvenir from his battle with a bandit. It also happened that on that day, Sylvette had revealed herself as a Kelvic to save Orin’s life. Also, at the same time, she had given him the most remarkable gift he’d ever gotten. They had bonded and Orin’s world had been flipped upside and sideways in the best possible way. Orin had only kept the sword because he felt that it was a tangible reminder of everything that he and Sylvette had. But Orin didn’t need a physical reminder of everything that had happened since then. Not when he had Sylvette in his mind at all times. Usually it was just a little hint or slip of emotion or a weird sense of the direction she was in, but sometimes it was more than that. Not thoughts, but ideas. It came and went but something was always there. Normally it would have freaked Orin out but it was almost always positive. Also, it seemed right to have it there.

All that was to say, Orin wasn’t at all attached to this short sword. In fact, considering it came off a dead man, it held a strange feeling attached to it whenever Orin actually paid it any attention, especially since Orin had almost died. Orin had reported the attack, and the knights had confirmed a few other robberies in that area and thanked Orin for his service to Syliras. But Orin hadn’t known what to with the sword afterwards so he’d simply kept it. But Orin had no idea how to use it, and its weight felt incredibly awkward. He unbelted it and held it out to the woman to check out. She unsheathed it and looked at it with a practiced eye. Obviously she had a lot more experience with using blades than Orin did. She put it back in its scabbard and nodded, clearly satisfied. She placed the sword on the crate that she was using as a makeshift stall and motioned Orin forward. He sighed in relief, and walked to her items, picking up the two rods and the net, which got tangled as he tried to maneuver it so he could carry it all. He was still juggling it all when someone Orin recognized spoke out. ”You know she cheated you right?”

Orin stiffened. It couldn’t be who he thought it was. He turned cautiously. It was Crest, with an insufferably cocky expression on his face. The last time Orin had seen him, the sailor had kissed Orin and Orin had fled, completely panicked. Since then, Orin had carefully blanked out the whole incident in his mind. Orin didn’t want to consider the implications that the night had brought up in his mind. Crest was holding Orin’s belt and scabbard, minus the sword in his hand. The man flipped a coin to the merchant who grinned and shrugged at Orin. ”Can’t blame a girl for trying, can you?” she asked in completely unaccepted and impeccable Common. Orin’s jaw dropped. She’d played him the entire time. Crest held out Orin’s belt and Orin snatched it, dropping the net in the process. ”What is this, some kind of conspiracy? What game are you playing Crest? I told you I didn’t want to talk to you and nothing has changed since then.” Orin finally had to let go of the poles to get his belt back on.

Crest held out his hands in a placating motion, before stooping to pick up the net and put it in a rucksack the woman had taken out for him. Orin took it and gathered up his poles. Orin snarled at Crest and began making his way to Stormhold. However an arm reached out to block Orin’s way. It was obviously Crest’s. ”Are you deaf or something? I said, I did not want to talk to you.” Crest’s eyes were warm and a half-smile graced his face. ”Well, if you hadn’t run off like a scared child I wouldn’t have had to ask my people to keep an eye out for you, now, would I? News travels fast among the Svefra. I think you owe me at least a conversation.”

Orin raised his eyebrows. ”Oh really? Because I personally don’t think I owe you anything. Now let. Me. Past.” The older lady snorted and Orin spared her a glance. She was grinning wildly and gave Orin two thumbs up. However, Orin noticed that a crowd of Svefra had circled the Crest and him and felt a blush creep up on his cheeks. Of course this had to happen and of course it had to happen with an audience. Orin wished he could just crawl in a hole and die. That would be better than having this out right now.

Secret :
2x Fishing Rod
Fishing Net 25sq ft.
Rucksack
Last edited by Orin Fenix on March 19th, 2015, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on March 19th, 2015, 12:44 pm

Crest glanced around at the growing number of people around and grimaced. He lowered his voice to a whisper. ”Look I’m not letting you go until I get some answers from you. Now would you mind taking this to a more private venue? Orin crossed his arms across his chest. Crest was far too personable for Orin to trust him without other people around. Orin’s heart was pounding and he really hoped that it was from anger and not from some other emotion he didn’t want to think about. No, he was definitely annoyed and hurt and confused about Crest. Orin didn’t think he had given the man any indication that Orin was open to that, at all. Why are you trying to convince yourself of this? The thought was piercing, but Orin strangled it in its infancy and shoved it down to the bottom of his mind. He knew that he was in the right and the Svefra was in the wrong. Two guys did not kiss each other, not even in jest. ”No. I think all these lovely people want to hear this too.” The crowd practically cheered and hoots came out. Apparently, this was the Svefra idea of a masterful entertainment. Orin ignored them too focused on Crest.

Crest grimaced and shrugged. ”I was asking for your benefit, mate. Now look, I apologize if I made some assumptions but not only was it an understand mistake, you seemed to be enjoying yourself.” Orin sputtered with rage. How dare this person stand there and tell Orin what he had been feeling. Orin should know seeing as it was his mind and his body. And he had most definitely not been having a good time. Sure, he might not have pushed Crest away at first but that was because he’d been in shock and not because the kiss had meant anything. You sure about that? The nagging voice popped up again before Orin slapped it down, harder this time. He didn’t need life lessons from his subconscious and he didn’t have the time for self-examination.

”How dare you. How dare you stand there and have the balls to tell me that I enjoyed that! Are you so blind or just so full of yourself that you assume everything you touch will fall at your feet, infatuated? Well here’s something to work into your thick skull: I’m not buying what you’re trying to sell.” Orin was breathing hard. The depth of emotion he was dredging up was shocking even to him. And his usual anxieties and stutters seemed to have abandoned him. Maybe he should get angry more often if it meant he would allow himself to speak his mind. It was Crest’s turn to grimace and stab an accusatory finger towards Orin. ”You led me on, not the other way around! With your ‘Oh I can’t swim’ nonsense and your faked coy modesty. And then you getting drunk and having me help you up and down the crow’s nest. And the little touches and you invading my personal space.”

Orin’s jaw dropped. The man was clearly an idiot. Orin hadn’t touched him any more than necessary. They were on a ship and Orin didn’t have his sea legs, so he’d had to catch his balance. And he had used Crest to steady himself, sure, but not in a way that indicated interest. Also, Orin really hadn’t known how to swim. So now Crest was calling him a liar and a harlot. This was just great. ”Oh, me getting drunk? Really? As I recall, you were the one who suggested grog in the first place and kept insisting on refilling my mug. So who got whom drunk, exactly? And the crow’s nest was your idea in the first place as well! I’m not even going to dignify the rest with an answer.” Orin didn’t think casual nudity was acceptable, so he hadn’t been playing some kind of deeper game there. Orin had only blushed because of the nakedness, not because it had been Crest specifically who had been naked. Anyone who was nude would cause the same reaction. Crest had obviously just taking a few innocent events and twisted them around for the past few days to try and justify his actions. Orin wasn’t going to deal with the clearly irrational man.

He started walking away, shoving Crest’s arm by force when the man didn’t budge it. Orin stomped, humiliated and upset and full of rage. However, when a hand fell on his shoulder that was the final straw. Orin dropped his newly bought items, pulled out his dagger and with a spin, slashed out at Crest. The Svefra narrowly avoided the blow. Orin had originally just planned to scare him off but apparently his body had other ideas. Crest really shouldn’t have done that though, since the blood was pounding in Orin’s ears and he was starting to see red. ”What part of don’t touch me is so hard for you to grasp? And if I hadn’t said it already or for some reason it wasn’t clear, don’t touch me! Not now, not ever.” The heat in Orin’s voice surprised even him, and Crest took a step back, clearly frightened at the vehemence Orin was displaying. The rest of the Svefra were holding their breath, clearly waiting to see what this turn of events would bring. The tension in the air was nearly palpable. Orin supposed it was good that at least some people were getting entertainment value out of this whole scenario. Orin certainly wasn’t.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on March 19th, 2015, 2:07 pm

Crest reached forward and Orin jabbed at him, forcing the man back. Apparently, the man didn’t know the meaning of the word no. Which was perhaps the reason for this entire debacle in the first place. The man simply couldn’t comprehend that Orin didn’t want what he was offering. Well, Orin had done everything in his power to make himself quite clear. Bending down, but keeping his eyes and his blade pointed towards Crest, Orin managed to wrangle the poles into the crook of his left elbow, and the rucksack with his net into his left hand. The whole burden felt entirely awkward but Orin wasn’t going to let up for one tick. Otherwise, if prior knowledge was anything to go by, Crest would take it as an invitation. Since the man seemed to read so much into normal interactions. So much that was not there. You sure he’s the one to blame for all this? Orin nearly groaned. The stupid thoughts coming from his conscience or subconscious or whatever wouldn’t stop. And they were so off the mark that they were almost funny, if Orin had been in any position to appreciate their humor.

Luckily for Orin, the Knights had essentially been forced out of the docks by the sheer mass and numbers of the Svefra. Orin didn’t think they’d appreciate Orin taking swipes at a civilian, especially when that civilian was a Svefra and the citizens of Syliras were supposed to be making nice with them. Still, the chances of this incident getting back to the knighthood were slim, and Orin could say in all honesty that he was trying to get someone who was harassing him to back off. That was the truth. And if for whatever reason they asked why exactly the man was accosting Orin, Orin would just have to hedge his answers and hope they didn’t press that point too hard.

Orin slowly stepped backwards, tracking Crest with his knife. The man was wisely staying away out of Orin’s reached but he was still following Orin. Suddenly, Orin felt the press of people on his back. They weren’t parting to let him through. Orin groaned. He should’ve guessed that this group of Svefra would take Crest’s side. After all, they didn’t know Orin at all and Crest was one of their own. Either that or they were having so much fun watching Crest and Orin’s spat that they didn’t want it to end just yet. Whatever the reason, Orin was trapped. He ground his teeth together and informed them tartly, ”I don’t have time for this,” but he was met with grins in response. They were definitely enjoying this insanity.

Orin sheathed his dagger since he obviously couldn’t cut his way through them all. He had seriously considered it for a moment there though. In the confusion maybe he’d be able to make his escape. But his quarrel wasn’t with them, it was with Crest. So Orin sighed and faced the sailor grudgingly. Hopefully one day Orin would have friends and companions or even a whole race that would stand up for him as well. But that day clearly wasn’t today. No, today was the day that Orin would have to deal with the most stubborn and infuriating person Orin had ever met. Well two could play at that game. When push came to shove, Orin was as bullheaded as anyone else. So if Crest felt that he could get Orin to budge the man was in for a rude surprise.

Seeing that Orin at least seemed willing to listen Crest relaxed noticeably. He flashed a grateful at the crowd, who push Orin forward a few paces to close the distance between Orin and crest before retreating back to their earlier positions."Orin, please listen to me. Just, hear me out. I'm sorry this got to this state and I misread the cues you were sending out. It's just, and Crest's voice cracked here, "I really liked spending time with you. I know it was only a day but I felt that I helped you to loosen up and enjoy life and you, you helped ground me. I know I'm a bit flighty and careless but you brought out my better half." Crest nearly choked at the word ground. Perhaps that was especially important to the Svefra, who spent all of their lives adrift. Orin almost, but not quite, felt pity for Crest. And he certainly was far from forgiving the man. But the edge had been taken off of Orin's anger. Orin couldn't blame Crest for trying to find comfort where he could. But Orin remained silent. He no longer trusted his tongue not to betray him and the wisest course of action was to say nothing. Too often Orin had let his mouth show his inner thoughts and he couldn't risk that here. As the ticks passed and still Orin didn't respond, Crest grew more and more agitated. The Svefra started running a hand through his hair in a gesture so similar to Orin's own anxious moves that Orin's heart skipped a beat. Maybe the two of them had more in common than they thought.

A woman's voice, deep and melodic, rang out from the people behind Orin. "I think we've all had quite enough." Orin looked over his shoulder to see a tall and stately woman push her way through the mass to come stand next to Crest. She clasped his shoulder in a companionable way, but one that also made it clear she was in charge. The resemblance between their features was striking. Orin gulped and nodded his head in respect. This was likely Crest's mother and the Lia of his ship, the Wavedancer. "I'm sorry to disturb you all, especially you, Mistress Lia."

She chuckled at the honorific. "Just call me Maia, child. You seem to have made quite the impression on my son. Now, since you both seem to have finished here, I suggest that we all disperse and go about our business." This last was directed as much to the surrounding Svefra as to Orin and Crest. They grumbled, but did as she asked. Maia started to walk off, but Crest hesitated just minutely before turning to follow her lead. Orin was mortified but at least it was over. He could go home and sort out his jumbled thoughts and feelings there.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Caela Dorin on April 5th, 2015, 6:53 pm

Grade Awarded

Orin Fenix
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Intimidation 2
Negotiation 1
Observation 4
Persuasion 2
Socialisation 2

Lores
Lore Earned
Haggling: Difficult When You Don’t Speak a Common Language
Haggling Technique: Walk Away to Be Offered a New Price
Being Cheated in a Trade
Crest: Persistent
Denying One’s Own Feelings
Intimidation Technique: Waving Around a Dagger
Maia: Crest’s Mother and Wavedancer’s Lia

Consequences :
+2 Fishing Rods
+1 Fishing Net (25sq ft.)
+1 Rucksack
-1 Short Sword

Additional Comments

This is one of the most entertaining solos I’ve read in awhile. I enjoyed Orin’s attempts at haggling and the fact that he ended up being duped but the interaction between Orin and Crest was the most fascinating. I really enjoyed how you portrayed Orin’s internal confusion and denial as well as Crest’s clear anguish of not being able to explain himself and find out where things went wrong between them. I’d certainly be interested to see how these feelings are resolved! Great thread!

Please edit or delete your grade request and PM me if you have any questions or concerns about your grade.

x
Caela Dorin
Seductress

Words: 472136
Joined roleplay: January 1st, 2014, 12:00 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)