Closed The Smallest of Gifts

(S'Essy)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Smallest of Gifts

Postby Perplexity on March 23rd, 2015, 9:30 pm

15th of Spring, 515 AV

Dawn was breaking over the horizon and with it a new day in the city of Zeltiva. The city was abuzz with renewed feelings of hope and faith. The people of Zeltiva had been visited by their patron and Father, Laviku the event had spawned many private celebrations throughout the city. Joy was practically palpable among many of the citizens who up until that point had been world weary. The visiting of Laviku had done wonders as a balm for the ailing spirits of the people.

Standing amid the sands of the beach was a young man. He carried a staff in his hands but it seemed to be of the most mundane quality. It was fashioned well implying that the young man had purchased it for specific purpose. His attire was tailored and his appearance clean. Chestnut brown hair rustled lightly in the wind. The young man edged forward touched a foot to the cool waters of Matthew’s Bay. A smile crept its way across his features. He turned his face toward the rising sun breathing in deeply. Syna’s rays swept over him with the slow but steady rising of the dawn.

Good morning, Lady.

The gulls called in the distance and all seemed to be at peace. The tides lapped against the shores. The city was awakening from several nights of celebration or perhaps vigils in prayer to the gods. Life would soon spill out of Zeltiva as merchants opened their shops, workers tended to the docks, and people generally went about their daily lives. The young man could picture all of it. It was a far cry from the daily routine of his own life. But that was not what had brought him to the beach. He made it a habit of visiting the sands most every morning. He enjoyed the feel of the warm sunlight as it bathed his body in golden rays.

And so it was that as Zeltiva stirred itself into awakening, a young man stole a moment from time. He took that moment to enjoy the company of naught but himself and the rising sun. It seemed a lonely ceremony but in truth it couldn’t have made him happier. This was a sacred moment. It was one to be cherished as it signified the birth of a new day and the infinite possibilities that were made possible by its beginning.

Would he enjoy in this beginning alone however?
Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

The Smallest of Gifts

Postby S'Essy on March 24th, 2015, 2:41 pm

Finally they were back in Zeltiva. She didn't think that she would miss the city so much like that. Sunberth showed her otherwise. And being in Zeltiva made her feel very good another reason. Laviku made an appearance in the city, she only heard the rumors and saw the celebrations. If Only they would had arrived sooner. Seeing her grand Sea Father. Next time probably, she had many years ahead herself. She had still the chance. Of course because of His visit, the people were so lovely. She enjoyed her days in the city. So refreshing from Sunberth.. from everything that so far happened.

She was still a bit afraid to be alone in the city. A bit paranoid but she was getting better. And Zeltivan people helped a lot about her condition. Having positive and happy thoughts is always healthy. For that reason she got the courage and got up early. The Sun was just coming up. The Healer dressed up immediately so she could go out quickly to Laviku's water. She didn't plan to swim however. Just to see sun rising from the beach, which is always a miracle. Syna's light reflecting on the sea's surface. Feeling the breeze on her face.

The Konti was careful of course, especially since she was pregnant. She walked to the beach and the miracle was happening in front of her. Just how it was every morning. Syna's light shining on the ocean, through the slight wind she could feel the water's waves on her skin. A shiver went through her every time. She took off her footwear and walked along the shore's line slowly. The sea touching her feet. "Good morning, Father! It's good to see you again." She was smiling as always and her head turned towards the city for a moment.

After many celebrations and after a night of sleeping people were coming out from their houses. The noises were getting louder but where she was it was still peaceful and quiet. She preferred to start her day that way and if she could even swim... It would be a perfect morning indeed. But her lover was tired and she didn't want to swim alone there. Also she didn't want to selfishly wake him up for this. The day was long and she could swim later. And then she noticed she wasn't the only one there, she wasn't alone as she thought. Her eyes wandered back to the shore.

She stopped for a moment and examined the situation. A young man with brown hair was also at the beach. He looked clean and very fancy. But the strangest thing was his staff which he was holding there, not just any stuff. A beautiful piece of equipment it was. And he was smiling just as brightly as S'Essy. Should she go there? She could hardly resist the urge. She could share her joy with someone else. She started the morning the same way as this man. This was a good sign. She went to him, still smiling at him.

"Good morning! So I'm not the only one who enjoys her morning at Laviku's water? Are you happen to be among those who could see Him in person?"
Unless I promised one, I can not accept any more threads at the moment! I'm sorry.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Words: 267181
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2014, 6:16 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

The Smallest of Gifts

Postby Perplexity on March 26th, 2015, 2:21 am

The young man turned his head in the direction of S’Essy. A smile touched his face as he considered the gentle Konti’s question.

I haven’t seen anything in a long time, ma’am.” As Syna’s rays touched his face the first thing that would be noticeable was a very distant look to his eyes. The color was faded and his gaze was unfocused. Nevertheless he seemed perfectly aware of where S’Essy was. He did however incline his head.

I did have the privilege of standing in Laviku’s presence though. He was kind. It was…” The young man quirked his head closing those vacant eyes listening to the waves. “…I don’t really have words to describe it. I felt safe, like I mattered.

It was what Zeltiva needed. So many had been lost to the chaos that had consumed the city. The tragedies of the recent seasons have been many. So much so that I fear even the light of Lady Syna was working hard to raise people’s spirits.” Jason nodded to the sun. A peace entered his countenance as his face was turned toward the sunlight.

He shook his head unable to really put words to the whole experience. He had heard the chorus of joy, the utter relief at Laviku appearing in the city to comfort the people had been tangible. He had stood beside men who had fallen to their knees and wept with complete happiness that the Father of Zeltiva had gifted them with a visit in their lifetime. The whole of the crowd had eventually raised their voice in song giving love and praise to the beloved god. That sort of event he felt would stay with him for the rest of his life, however long that was. Adjusting his grip on his staff he prodded the sands for a moment listening before stepping forward extending a hand to S’Essy.

I’m Jason. To whom do I owe the pleasure of meeting?” His handshake would be gentle. The whole of the Jason’s demeanor seemed to speak of a gentleness. After their introductions he considered the woman for a moment.

Would you…would you be willing to do me a great kindness?” He reached up touching his cheek just beneath his right eye. A smile touched his lips.

There was a time when I could watch the dawn. That was a long time ago. I still remember but…could you describe it to me? The rising sun? I don’t often get the chance to enjoy the dawn in the company of another.

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

The Smallest of Gifts

Postby S'Essy on March 26th, 2015, 1:47 pm

His smile remained bright and untouched. although his answer was strange. She only realized what did he mean by that when he turned to her. As the sun's light touched his face she could see his look. He was only looking at her direction not exactly at her. And his eyes' color was faded and had no focus in them. S'Essy could guess from there: Blind, he only followed her voice, which could tell her location from him. She was glad he couldn't see her face at that moment.

She felt sorry for him very much. The Healer knew people didn't always like that look. She tried to ignore the fact that he had no sight, he seemed still happy and that was exemplary. She also wished she could heal him. The itch was inn her to try, that she could probably help this time but she knew well this was out of her hands and power. But she stopped being sad about that as he continued his story and told her about the miracle.

She closed her eyes and her lips almost reached her ears, her smile was becoming that wide. The Konti didn't care that he couldn't tell in exact words how he felt because she still understood the feelings of it. Being safe, having purpose. she felt the same when she was swimming in His waters. "I feel the same way every time. The wonderful feeling that Laviku is protecting me and is with me." she whispered silently. She could see it with her own eyes as he was telling. Laviku and the faithful Zeltivans around him.

The story went on and she opened her eyes. She knew only about the mage killer in summer last year, but apparently it wasn't the only trouble for the city, they had more to worry about. And after Sunberth, finding a city full of spirit, that's what she needed and she was glad she could arrived this time. Laviku might demand respect but he was also merciful and kind too to those who do so. However his last line made her think. Syna was working hard to bring their spirit back also? Syna... She heard the name... The Sun. "I honestly don't know her that much. In fact I didn't really think about her working hard to bring spirit. But I guess it makes sense. Her light brings a new start, a new day for all. It can cheer me up when her light is warming me up."

She grabbed his hand and shook it just as gently as he did. Jason was so polite and gentle, S'Essy already liked the man. "Oh, How rude of me. I'm one of Rak'keli's healer. I'm S'Essy a Konti from Mura." Her introduction was probably strange but she was aware that he couldn't see so she felt she would share these facts. She trusted him that much somehow. She couldn't quite explain, she onyl knew that his presence brought joy to her, his smile and positive attitude.

She raised her eyebrows at his request. "Sure, what can I do for you?" He only pointed at his blind eye. She was asked to describe the rising sun to him. she could do that much, after all he could no longer watch it. Though she didn't quite know how to start or how to tell such beautiful moment. She took a deep breath and looked at Syna's way. She was slowly coming up and her light was brighter and brighter by every tick.

"It's.. No, she is beautiful like she always is at every dawn. The Sun.. Syna is coming up from the horizons slowly and gracefully. The globe.. yes that.. so it's becoming brighter." She almost started to explain her warmth but she reminded herself to only focus the sight, he could still touch, smell and hear. "Her light is shining on Laviku's water's surface like pretty pearl on the waves. The city's shadow are hiding from her, but soon she will reach them all. Sorry I can't describe it well, I'm not that great with Common"
Unless I promised one, I can not accept any more threads at the moment! I'm sorry.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

The Smallest of Gifts

Postby Perplexity on April 10th, 2015, 12:36 pm

Jason closed his eyes listening to what S'Essy had to say. He breathed a sigh giving a nod in thanks to what she relayed.

"Thank you. Those words were enough. It might not seem like much but I am thankful that you shared what you could." Jason adopted a sad smile.

"There was a time when could witness such a thing myself. That was some time ago." Jason rest both hands atop his walking stick peering in S'Essy's direction.

"I am sorry to bother but can you tell me about the Konti? I've never left Zeltiva. I have heard of your people but I've not had the honor of meeting one before. Is it true that Laviku himself lives in the island? Does the Goddess of Healing really perform her miracles there? Is your city really made of silver? What about Avalis? What is she like?" His eagerness and curiosity were almost tangible. The young man ceased his questions giving a shy smile.

"Forgive me. My curiosity gets the better of me sometimes."

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

The Smallest of Gifts

Postby S'Essy on April 10th, 2015, 1:35 pm

She was taking glaces to him while she was describing the sight for him. His eyes were closed and was focusing on what she said. She was wondering how hard could it be for a blind person to imagine pictures, knowing that they weren't blind from birth. After her description about the picture Syna and Laviku gave, he gave her a nod. S'Essy nodded back automatically when she realized it wouldn't really matter. She felt a bit awkward but not often she was talking with a blind man. It was annoying to her. She wanted to heal it and yet she couldn't...

He showed a sad smile to her, god she felt that her heart would fill with sadness. "No, I understand. I just.." No she can't say that. She had to be a professional like always at work. Smile it off, and don't let the patient see and hear you sad. You had to be strong. But it was hard and the itching feeling to heal... She had to be sure, she wanted to try. "Please, don't get scared!" She didn't want to tell him what she would try, the Healer didn't want to give him false hopes. She placed her hand gently on his eyes and was focusing on her mark. Let the warm feeling go through her and heal his eyes...

She took her hand away but as she thought. Nothing changed, still the unfocused eyes were looking at her direction. This was indeed out of her hands. She looked up at the sky, focusing again at her mark... more like her connection. "Oh Rak'keli, my dear goddess, bless this man because I don't have the strength to heal him." She just had to help other ways and let him forget about it and herself with it. Only joy... enjoy life... she was a healer, she was enjoying life, she loved life. That's why she could help. She was glad Jason gave her questions about her race, this was a great opportunity for it.

Her smile came back. Mure made of silver. She let out a little laugh. His curiosity and eagerness was just like hers. "Haha, don't worry darling, I'm just as curious about the world around me as you are. Let me answer your questions first then." S'Essy took another glance at the sea then back at him. Laviku... "My Sea Father often takes visits to our island, as He and Avalis are lovers. But Laviku is everywhere, but I'm sure you know that. Goddess of Healing, Rak'keli does miracles there. And we, Healers help her work. Every time I heal, I feel her power going through me, it is just.. great." Even if it was successful or not.. "And, heh.. that's really cute. Our city is not made of silver, but just as beautiful. Avalis. Honestly, I don't know much about Her. She is the Mother of our race, Goddess of divination. I... don't know. Her power is just as amazing as Rak'keli's. One of her follower helped me a lot, gave me something I have long forgotten."

She gently grabbed his hand and put her arms around his. "Would you mind, taking a walk with me? I'll help you but please also be careful and slow with me. I'm pregnant." With her other hand she guided Jason's to her growing belly. "What else would you like to know about our race? And also... can you tell me about Syna? I take it you know Her well." And if he would accept, she would lead them around the beach, slowly walking.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

The Smallest of Gifts

Postby Perplexity on April 11th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Mura sounds like it is a wonderful place.” Jason’s eyebrows rose slightly as S’Essy took his arm. His expression softened however when she guided his hand to her belly.

You are blessed indeed and I wouldn’t mind walking with you. I…” He chuckled quirking his head to the winds as if listening to the world around him. “I was actually going to make my way back to my home. It is just through the Old Quarter and down into the Ancient Quarter. I can guide us along the way.” He took a tentative step forward getting his footing before accompanying the Konti along the beach with a little more confidence in his step.

I once heard that Healers possess the power to restore sight. Is that true?” There was a wistful quality to his voice. There was a longing present but it was dull as if the thought itself were nothing more than a dream. Zeltiva had a presence of Healers but none were so highly favored or marked that they could perform the great miracles that surrounded legends of the Goddess of Healing.

You know, I have always wondered whether or not it is true that Konti can breathe under water? It’s exciting to think that your people, the very daughters of Laviku, are so highly gifted.” He smiled lost in the clouds of his own thoughts for a moment before chuckling. At her question regarding the Goddess of the Sun the young man pondered.

There is a great deal I could tell. Syna is the light that brings warmth to the world. She is the Goddess of the Sun but she is also Mother to Joy, Energy, and Sight. The world is hers to view and all that her light touches is hers to see and know. She fills it with joy, warms it with her love, and bestows upon all who gaze upon her a boundless zeal for life. She is beautiful and the world would quite literally be a dark place without her.” Jason nodded toward the city being mindful to walk slow that their pace be pleasant as not to tire the mother-to-be.

If we head into the Old Quarter toward the Fish Market we can take the streets to the left and make our way toward the Ancient Quarter.” He grasped his cane reaching up to tap his nose. “Just follow the smell.

Syna is also the beloved of Leth, God of the Moon. Theirs is a beautiful romance that I feel could bring comfort to all who know it.

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

The Smallest of Gifts

Postby S'Essy on April 11th, 2015, 7:38 pm

She was glad that he accepted her offer and that he would walk with him. Jason was a refreshing person for S'Essy. She was also smiling at his mentioning that she was blessed. Yes, she was truly. And she was blessed with loving lover also. He would go home from there, into the Ancient Quarter. She didn't believe she has ever been there although she wasn't really sure. She didn't really know this city well and she didn't know the names. Old... Ancient... Nothing really she could picture about it, she certain heard it by the people but that's all, heard it. Luckily he was leading.

It was strange, the blind leading the person with sight. At least for her it was weird, though she was curious how would he find his way back. She was interested how these people could help themselves out because she knew they could find their way in places. The Konti's eyes wandered to his staff, yes that could help not to bump into things and to tap the environment around him. Probably he also relied on his ear, hearing the noises and such. And of course there could be the people around him, guiding him if he required that. Wonderful and she respected them, that they had the will to move on and enjoy life without sight.

Her smile faded again about his mention about healers and their powers... Just when she has just tried it on him. She didn't want to tell him she can't, it was so bothering and heart breaking for her. S'Essy didn't want to ruin the good mood. But if she mentions that other probably could... that might give him the hope. And seeing the hope on his face would be just as good. Yes, that will bring him joy. "I... have tried it myself before. I am very sorry, Jason, I can not restore your sight." She let out a big sigh. "However, I'm sure, those who are closer to my goddess, might have the power to restore it. Dear, if you have the chance, do visit Mura and go to the Opal temple there. That place can do miracles, if nothing else you can experience the kindness of my people."

She was glad that he moved on and asked more questions about her race. She could smile brightly again and let out another little laugh at his mentioning. The Konti also felt very lucky that Laviku has gifted her. "You don't even know, how much I love my Sea Father. She gave me a gift I can't even thank him enough. Yes, we can breath under water. I have gills, I have webbed fingers and toes and I also have scales. I swim everyday and I visit His waters because of that everyday. He is always for me there, to cheer me up, to listen to me, He allows me to have fun in the sea. It's a wonderful gift darling."

As she thought he had many knowledge about the Goddess of Sun. And she could tell he adored her very much, by the way he was speaking about her, by the tone he was telling to S'Essy. It was just nice to hear about it. Goddess of joy, energy and sight also. That made sense though, the Sun gave the light to see, S'Essy also had to admit, it gave joy to her and also it could give many energy. No wonder the blind man loved her so much. It was interesting, and she would probably think more about Syna when swimming. The man also described her as beautiful, how strange. Maybe he met her? Or he just simply find her beautiful. "Yeah, so beautiful, and so bright, can't even look at her." She tried to joke about it.

Before he continued he mentioned the directions. Fish Market, take the left there, follow the smell.. Oh yeah smell, she forgot about that one. She wasn't focusing where she was going by eyes but tried to use her nose. She didn't smell anything yet. But thought of fish and the smell of it... "Oh gods, if I will smell fish we have to turn to the left quickly or I would eat the whole market. Erm.. Konti thing, since I'm pregnant I just love eating sea food more than ever. Raw fish.. yum!" She had to focus, she was walking with him, she could eat later.

He continued his story afterwards. The God of the Moon, Leth was Syna's lover. That also made sense for her. Two Gods ruling the sky day and night, looking at each other. There was romance in that, heart warming romance. "Must be also beautiful, I mean their love! When Syna and Leth are changing roles, it's just pretty. When the Sun is going down and when it is going up." And with her final words she could smeel the fish, yes it was about time to take to the left. "Okay, I think we can turn now.. or shall we go a little further?"
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

The Smallest of Gifts

Postby Perplexity on April 11th, 2015, 10:11 pm

It is alright, S’Essy. That you would even think to try is a kindness in and of itself. My sight was the price I paid for being a very foolish boy. It was lesson that was hard learned. Though darkness surrounds me, I have never seen clearer. The experience opened my eyes to more than just what was in front of me.” Jason left unsaid the event that had left him blind. The tone of his voice implied that the subject was not something to explore at that time. He listened contently as the Konti explained the gifts of her people. He chuckled at her joke.

Ha! I like to believe that the Sun Goddess has a bright sense of humor.” He flashed S’Essy a sly smirk. A look of disbelief crossed his face as she mentioned the notion of eating raw fish.

You eat fish raw? How…different.” The young man nodded his head to the left down the road. “You’ll take this road on through West Street. Past the University. My home will be the first that you encounter on the right hand side.

As they continued their walk, Jason seemed to be listening for things. For a man who could see nothing he appeared to be rather observant.

Have you ever heard the story of Syna and Leth’s love?” Given that S’Essy wasn’t familiar with much else about the two gods the young man gave her an indulgent smile before pressing on with the story.

Long ago it is said that Syna walked the world spreading her light and joy wherever she went. She danced with mortals. She filled the lands she visited with a tangible excitement. There came a time when her light shined into a dark corner of the world. It was there that Leth dwelled. He was a wild god with a dark nature that couldn’t be tamed and yet upon seeing her beauty, his wild nature calmed. She stirred in his presence and their romance began. It is a wonderful thing that brings balance to the world.” Jason was greatly comforted by the story of Syna and Leth’s love. He did not know all of the legends that surrounded the two deities but he enjoyed most of them.

Syna’s light is what allows life to grow. Her love is what give crops their nourishment. In turn those crops that are grown are eaten by all of us. Without the sunlight, the trees would not grow. The grass would not rise to greet the sky. Animals would have nothing to feed on and would perish. With every meal we are shown the love that the Sun Goddess has for all of us.” Jason angled his walking stick bringing the both of them to a halt as a horse drawn wagon crossed the cobblestones of the street. He paused tilting his head to listen likely to gauge the distance at which the clop of hooves faded.

May I ask why you are interested in the Goddess of the Sun? She has many followers but not often do I meet people who have such a deep interest in her.

Perplexity

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

The Smallest of Gifts

Postby S'Essy on April 12th, 2015, 7:20 am

She raised her eyebrows at his little story. Price he had paid as a foolish boy? So it probably it wasn't illness or such thing, it was a punishment for him. Or she assumed but she couldn't judge. She was wondering thoughts at his words. Darkness surrounds him, but he could see clearer. Surely lesson was taught to him. The Healer's curiosity was picked and she was about to ask him: "Wha-- Nothing." No, she couldn't ask it. Even his tone indicated that he rather not talk about it. A story for later... maybe.

She chuckled at him. How different, was a really good term for it. But else could she do? She was craving for some at these time. "Yeah, we are not that gracious anymore are we? But no really, I had to get myself fit and well. I MUST be healthy anyway as a Healer, I literally don't have the luxury to get sick and rest. And as pregnant, it is even more crut.. erm.. what is that word again? " Her Common again, she was trying to remember, but it didn't came to her mind. "So I mean, it is even more important." And in Sunberth especially, those people, that atmosphere around the city was just sickening to her. She had to work harder there to keep sane and fit. She almost lost that "battle", thank the gods they could go away from there.

As they were walking, S'Essy saw that the man could navigate himself quite well in the city. He must have great control over his other senses. Even if it was natural for a blind person to rely on hearing, smelling, touching, she was still surprised and admired that in him.

She shook her head, she didn't hear about it but Jason has guessed as much and without hesitation he told the story. She really liked it, it had everything a romance story should have. Syna the beautiful, bright maiden, Leth the wild and dark man and they found peace in each other. Probably that wasn't exactly the truth but who knew? What they knew that they loved each other and they were chasing each other in the sky, at least, for S'Essy it gave that illusions now that she knew about their love.

And Syna's light gave so much to the world. She really didn't even consider it herself or thanked Her for it. The Goddess helped Life with her light and that was something S'Essy wanted to do also. Despite Syna is a goddess, S'Essy found herself some similarities between herself and the Sun this way. As they almost arrived to the man's house she looked at the direction where the Sun would come up. She couldn't see much because of the buildings but soon, she would be at the top of the sky. Luckily enough, even she wasn't watching, Jason was listening to the world around himself and made them halt. S'Essy turned her head back and was surprised a bit, as the wagon has crossed the street in front of them.

Then her eyes wandered to him and without any thinking she could answer that question so easily. "Simply put it, I'm curious about everything and everyone. And I like to learn and get know about many things. Syna is the Sun! Getting know Her is just natural to me. I don't know why I haven't considered it before. She helps life, just like I try to do. And She basically saw my life, just like Laviku. She saw it when I first found love, She saw it when I had bad days and was sad. She sees me when I'm swimming in Laviku's waters." Her smile was untouched like his and just as bright.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Next