Closed A Shared Loss {Kaik}

Lisana goes to the animation studio-- only to find that it's gone.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

A Shared Loss {Kaik}

Postby Lisana on March 29th, 2015, 4:38 pm

16th of Spring, 515 AV

Although the morning was warm, a light drizzle was falling. Lisana pulled her hood over her head, wrapping her cloak around her. As she walked, she contemplated her plans for her latest project.

Although, as she walked to where the Animation studio should've been, a wave of shock rolled over the girl. Rather than the cozy, small house with the words scrawled on the door, it was merely a pile of ash and debris.

A slight gasp escaped Lisana as she looked up at the building, and her hand flew to her mouth. She hadn't visited it in at least a season, so she hadn't known of the destruction that had occurred. As she looked at the building, or what was left of it, a barrage of questions flooded through her. What happened to all the projects and partially-animated objects that were in there? What happened to Maeki Cho? And what happened to the clay figure Liz was animating?

She'd spent weeks on it. Molding the clay to make a simple humanoid figure, she'd used a sewing needle, for lack of a better tool, to add details, like facial features. Gently molding it, almost a season had been spent merely on the sculpting aspect. As a result, she'd only spent a few days animating it.

A pletora of regrets plummeted Lisana, and she sat down, a tear dripping down her cheek at the loss of what was once her second home. There were so many projects she'd stashed there, and now all of them were gone. Shock pulsed through her at the loss of years of practice.

Liz recalled the messy rooms, with paper strewn everywhere, and the tapestries hanging on the walls. The fact that such a beautiful place was gone was shocking.
I make mediocre boxcodes for people here.
Otaia|Anthere|Lisana
3/5 Threads
Lisana
Player

Words: 66239
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2014, 11:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Shared Loss {Kaik}

Postby Kaik Leyr on April 1st, 2015, 2:08 pm

OOCFigured I've kept you waiting for too long. I apologize for the wait.

All he could hear was the tiny clatter of raindrops as he laid on the bed. Kaik stretched out his right arm toward the roof. The marks of the past still etched into his arm.

Still there.

He sat up on the bed and looked at his silver ring.

“Still there,” he said aloud, “now then, Arya?”

Arya sat on chair in the middle of the room staring down at the floor before being called by her master. She stood up from her chair and proceeded to walk toward the bed to receive her order.

Normally I’d be at the studio by now. It feel’s so....lacking. What am I supposed to do now?

“Don’t suppose you know?” Kaik asked Arya pointlessly. She, as expected, only stared at him in silence. “Right. Of course not.” He placed his left hand on his daughter with a chuckle.

Maybe I’ll go see what Maeki doing? Hm, not that I can...never bothered to ask where she’ll be living now. Still I feel like doing something...guess a simple walk will be fine.

The Animator stood up from the bed and walked to his third creation, Oliver. The small doll sat next to the chair.

“Wake up, Oliver. Your service is needed.” Upon finishing the phrase Oliver rose to his feet. “Hello, Oliver.” Kaik said half expected him to respond. Not meeting expectations the doll remained silent.

Yeah, that’s what I expected. Oh well, should at least get him to say something.

“Oliver, say ‘hello’ to me.” The doll obeyed the order.
“H-hel-o.”

Good enough. Should I bring Lina with me? It would be a first I brought all three of them. I don’t think Iris is ready to go out, so that would just leave me at three.

“Lina? Come here.” A moment passed without anything happening.

Oh, have to reword that a bit better. Have to be more specific.
“Lina, walk to me.” Lina arrived from a dark corner of the room. “I was wondering where I left you.” He picked up the doll and placed her in his backpack that sat near the bed.

With all the dolls accounted for Kaik began his usual morning routine and dressed the dolls and himself. When all the preparations were done Kaik left house making sure to pull up the hood of his dolls, though he didn’t bother to do so for himself. He actually liked to feel the light patter of rain on his head.

He let his mind wander as he let himself walk in no particular direction.

Should I go looking for a job? What place would hire me anyway? Petch, I might as well start a store with the luck I’ve had being able to find a job at that studio. Luck? Actually...yeah so far it been nothing but shyke. Well it’s a nice thought, even if I could be able to handle all that hassle.

Lost in thought Kaik had arrived at a familiar area that once held the simple home of Maeki Cho.

Petch. I’ve gotten too used to walking here...hmm? Who’s that?

The stranger has his or her back toward him with a hood and cloak hiding their identity. There was nobody else but Kaik and the stranger which made sense with some of the area burned down. This led Kaik to the question of what reason this person had for being there.

That person’s just standing there in front of the studio. Wow, how tall...at least compared to me. Oh? The stranger is sitting down now. Are they okay? Maybe I should go ch-

A flashback of Mellisa stopped the thought.

Right. Argh, I’m being stupid. That’s not going to happen here. Just go and ask if they’re okay!

“H-hey...um...you okay?”

Boxcode by Estrellir Konrath
Kaik Leyr
The Doll Animator

Words: 180721
Joined roleplay: May 11th, 2014, 12:01 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

A Shared Loss {Kaik}

Postby Lisana on April 4th, 2015, 3:16 am

A question resonated from behind Lisana. The girl brushed her tears off before standing up and turning around. "Oh, I'm fine," she muttered, although it was evident she wasn't.

The man who had asked the question stood a few inches shorter than her, and as a result, she was looking down on him. His hair was black, and as she studied his face, Lisana realized that the man seemed tired, with dark creases under his eyes.

An idea rushed through the girl's mind, and she proceeded to ask the man a question. "Do... Do you know, um..." She trailed off, gesturing to the rubble. "What happened?" Liz felt a bit guilty about not knowing, as if it was some giant piece of news that everyone should've heard. And somehow, she'd missed it.

The man seemed familiar, as if she'd seen him before. The girl thought back, and figured she'd probably seen him at the studio, considering the man seemed to have targeted the place.

OOCOnce again. Short. Ugh. I'm really sorry...
Otaia|Anthere|Lisana
3/5 Threads
Lisana
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Shared Loss {Kaik}

Postby Kaik Leyr on April 4th, 2015, 2:01 pm

OOCIt's fine! My post is short as well. Even when I first Mizahar my posts were just as short. We all have to start somewhere, just gotta keep working at it and we'll improve :)

The hooded stranger stood up and turned before she answered the question.

What a pathetic lie...you don’t look fine.

After the question had been answered an awkward silence filled the air. Unlike the girl who kept her eyes on Kaik, Kaik’s eyes darted away from the girl. There was however one feature of the girl he could not ignore.

How...beautiful? Those eyes...are they natural? No matter the case those eyes are so...unique.

Lost in wonderment he failed to notice a question posed by the girl until she gestured toward the remnants of the studio.

Yeah...I wish I knew what really happened here too. If I could’ve just seen that piece of paper I could...do what?

“It’s...exactly as you see. Somehow a fire started...and this is the result,” Kaik said as he looked at the studio reminiscently.

Is she an Animator as well? I mean that is the studio she pointed to. Coincidence? Maybe. Or she may have lost something in the other places that caught on fire. But then why sit at this particular spot in front of the studio?

“Did...um...I suppose you know the owner of that studio? Maeki is doing well, though I doubt she can just start this studio over again.”

Arya hid closely behind her master with her hand being held by him. Oliver stood on the left side of his father with his head kept down.

I think it’s rude to not introduce yourself, right? Well I guess right now is not the best time, but I have to address her by some name.

“Right...sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Kaik, I-...hm...I suppose I was an assistant at the studio,” he gave a polite bow. “Well umm....you can....what I’m trying to say is I understand how you must feel....well I guess that’s a bit arrogant to be saying I truly understand how you feel. At the very least...I think we’re both are gonna miss this place, right?”

Kaik Leyr
The Doll Animator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

A Shared Loss {Kaik}

Postby Lisana on April 5th, 2015, 12:30 am

Shyke, Liz, he's no fool, he can tell you're nowhere near okay.

The man shied away from her gaze. Although, like most people, he repeatedly glanced at her eyes. The girl, on the other hand, carefully, and most definitely not discreetly, studied his every facial and physical feature. She desperately searched for an answer regarding his familiarity, as if it would magically appear before her.

Instead, came a reply to her next question. She didn't mean to pry, but another question was blurted out of her mouth. "Do you know anything else?" she desperately pleaded for an answer, still disbelieving as to the panorama before her. The man continued to say something about Maeki, and Lisana listened intently. "Yeah, I knew her. Do... do you know where she is?"

Liz had known the woman a little bit. They'd exchanged pleasant small talk, and could be considered friends.This, of course, led to the slightest bit of concern for her.

Lisana had no idea how, but she'd missed the animated dolls accompanying him. One, a little, innocent-looking girl, shyly hid behind him, while a boy simply looked at the ground. "D-did you make those?" Lisana asked.

Brushing her fiery red hair out of her eyes, the girl pulled her hood down, as the drizzle had subsided.

The man, introducing himself as Kaik, stuttered a bit, rambling about the loss of the studio.

I knew he was familiar.

Lisana politely waited for him to finish, before replying. "I'm Lisana. And yes, I'm definitely going to miss it. I had a few unfinished projects in there. That's a bit of a shame..." That was an understatement. Liz barely ever finished projects, and she'd had plenty there.
Otaia|Anthere|Lisana
3/5 Threads
Lisana
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Shared Loss {Kaik}

Postby Kaik Leyr on April 5th, 2015, 5:33 am

I really should incorporate that in my next doll! A mismatch of colors. I like the look of it. Argh... I have to work on a weapon design first though. This isn’t really the best time to be thinking such things anyways.

The girl was not satisfied with what Kaik had said about what happened to the studio. It seemed like she expected something more from him, as if he could put her at ease.

This fire wasn’t some struck of bad luck. I know that at least. Why else would Maeki hide that scrap of paper and say she knew he would try to do something about it? Something was behind that fire. Just what is it? I shouldn’t tell her this...it’s just speculation and just worry her more.

“When it comes to how and why this studio burned down...I know as much as you do.”

Kaik’s eyes were focused on the pile of ash in front of him as his right hand curled into a fist.

I could’ve died in there. Somehow I got away with a simple burn and some dirty clothes. Why wasn’t I scared? Was it because I had to save Maeki? Or was it because I’ve faced worse dangers?

Without any gloves Kaik had been forced to go out without covering up the tattoo on his right hand. Keeping the top of his hand away from sight he kept it at his side.

Should’ve just burned the top of my hand too while was in that fire.

“Oh? Maeki? I think...um...she’s staying with a friend for now, not sure where exactly.”

The hooded girl’s attention soon moved to the two dolls accompanying Kaik. He pulled down the hood of the two slightly even though he was aware that the stranger knew he was an Animator.

She does know I’m a mage, but still...was it that obvious they were dolls? Arya’s face is hidden behind my back and I know Oliver is keeping his face down as instructed. Either she has a keen eye or she’s using magic...or I was careless. No matter, have to answer her question.

“Yeah...I made them. Well...for the boy I bought the actual shell, but I did the animation myself. You curious about them?” he said almost as an invitation to questions.

She’s know I’m an animator and isn’t sticking a dagger in their heads, so it should be fine to show off a little. Argh what’s gotten into me? Maybe it’s because I’m in front of the studio? I just...oh well, maybe it’ll cheer her up?

“Oliver. Say your greetings.”
Oliver looked at his father, “Yes...h-h-hel-o.”
“Hmm...good job Oliver,” he said with a small smile as he patted the doll’s head.

The light patter of rain stopped to Kaik’s disappointment while Lisana pulled down her hood.

That red hair suits her just like her eyes. I really should try the same look with the dolls.

Lisana said few words, yet from it Kaik inferred an important detail.

If she’s saying she left projects in the studio, then clearly she has to be an Animator as well!

“It is a shame. I can...definitely understand how frustrating this is. Animation is certainly an art that requires a majority of your time, so to just lose all that progress…”

Kaik Leyr
The Doll Animator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

A Shared Loss {Kaik}

Postby Lisana on April 7th, 2015, 3:45 am

Well, it could be expected. People always stared at her eyes, and why wouldn't they? They were weird, to say the least. Lisana just wished the man wouldn't be so obvious about it.

The girl felt a bit guilty about prodding him more. He didn't know, and she shouldn't be pushing him so much. She quieted down, leading to a bit of an awkward silence. But at the same time, he seemed like he knew more. He looked at the remains with a sort of anger.

Liz nodded. "As long as she's okay." Maeki had been a skilled animator, and it would be sad if her knowledge was ever lost.

"I-- wow. They're so-- realistic." Lisana looked at the two creations with complete and utter fascination. "C-can I touch them?" She'd never embarked on an effort to make something so nice. Liz's creations were simple, and lacked much detail. Some might be able to blink, or smile. Or just say a greeting. And, of course, they'd all been in the studio.

"Um... Hello, Oliver." Lisana leaned in, smiling, with a temptation to pinch the golem's cheeks.

Lisana snorted. "Hardly progress. I start so many projects that I never finish. But yes, I still worked hard on those."
Otaia|Anthere|Lisana
3/5 Threads
Lisana
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Shared Loss {Kaik}

Postby Kaik Leyr on April 8th, 2015, 12:57 am

OOCHope you don't mind some action in this thread. It's kinda spontaneous decision on my part, but I hope Lisana won't run away (or call the Shinya :p)

Kaik gave a short chuckle upon hearing how ‘realistic’ his dolls were.

Realistic? Ha! If they were realistic you probably wouldn’t have noticed they were simply dolls.

“I appreciate the compliment, but...well they’re...it’s not at the level I want them to be.”

Touch them? Kinda odd request, but then again I’ve seen how odd Maeki treats them, so I suppose I could do worse.

“Sure, go ahead.” He motioned for Oliver, “Just walk to her and say ‘hello, Lisana’.”

Just as ordered Oliver walked to Lisana and said, “Hel-lo...Li-ss-an-a.”

“You say they look ‘realistic’ but...I-I know I can improve them...now they can only act on order, they can’t blink or speak for themselves, they can’t have their own thoughts or feelings...you get it right?” Kaik pulled down his hood having realized the rain stopped long ago. “My goal...my-...mission? It’s...I want to create true life...I want to feel the accomplishment but more than that I-...I...nevermind.”

Surely she gets it. We’re both study under the same discipline. She too must have seen how...entrancing this magic is. I almost got caught up in the moment as well, nearly told her about Ellen. I’ve been telling a few too many people about myself these past seasons.

“You’ve never finished a single project you started? Actually...um...ex-exactly what do you usually animate?”

A distance away a familiar figure came into view only to disappear into an alley as three others followed suit.

That can’t be...Perrin? Petch. It’s those bullies from before. I have to go! I won’t let my student get hurt.

“I’m...uh...sorry Lisana but I have to leave. I’m glad to have met a fellow Animator...go-goodbye.”

He pulled up his hood along with Arya’s and Oliver’s hood. Without further delay he and his dolls quickly ran toward the alleyway he saw his student enter.

And just finished recovering from the last season...it’ll be fine! I just gotta focus on running.

The alleyway was moderately large, enough space for Kaik to move comfortably in a fight.

There won’t be a fight. They’ll just scamper away just like last time. I hope. Now I can only wish Perrin is alright.

Three young men were gathered around Perrin, who had curled up on the ground as they relentlessly kicked him. They shouted insults without realizing Kaik had arrived. “You peice of shyke!”One man said. “Go die!” Another said. “Yeah, just go kill yourself!” Said the last. The scene sparked a flame in the Doll Maker’s eyes.

Tired from constantly kicking and yelling they finally took notice to Kaik’s arrival.

“Oh, look boys...it’s that petching guy from before! Hey hey, guess what? We brought another guy with us and....” the three pulled out simple knifes, “you stay out of this! This guy!” What looked to be the leader of the group kicked Perrin. “He deserves it for what he did!”

Why are they doing this? They look like any other Lhavitian and don’t look like they’re homeless...so it’s some kind of grudge? Shyke, I shouldn’t be worrying about reasons. They have weapons. Shouldn’t I be scared? I am...but...Mellisa was worse. And now...I have something I have to protect.

Kaik Leyr
The Doll Animator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

A Shared Loss {Kaik}

Postby Lisana on April 8th, 2015, 9:47 pm

OOCAction is always good. :D

Lisana chuckled, brushing her fingertips against the doll's cheeks. "Hello, Oliver." She ran her hand through the creation's black hair, smiling. She stood up again, replying to Kaik's statement. "Well, you're on the right track."

Lisana raised an eyebrow. Had she phrased something wrong? "N-no, I've finished things, but I tend to get an idea, and want to start on it right away," She explained, "Then the last project I was working on goes unfinished. Then they all build up into a big pile of unfinished things."

"But I usually just animate smaller things, like a lock that unlocked when I told it to," the girl added, "that I actually finished." She smiled, although it wasn't very good joke.

The man hadn't noticed the joke, instead distracted by something in a nearby alley. Kaik let out a stuttered goodbye, apologizing for being so abrupt, before rushing down the alley with his two dolls.

Unsure what to do, Lisana followed, far more slowly. She stayed at the mouth of the alley, pulling her hood over her face. She peered into the alley, careful not to get caught. She didn't intend to take part, unless something life-threatening would happen. Liz didn't want to intervene in something she didn't know the details of.

But that didn't keep her from watching. A group of men were spitting insults at a man, whom Kaik seemed to know. They didn't seem to have noticed the man Liz had been having a conversation with just moments before.

The girl made an effort to get Kaik's attention, so as to see if she should intervene, but soon gave up. She was concerned for her own safety more than his, and had to stay discreet and out of sight. She just hoped the dolls wouldn't be damaged.
Otaia|Anthere|Lisana
3/5 Threads
Lisana
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Shared Loss {Kaik}

Postby Kaik Leyr on April 8th, 2015, 11:59 pm

16th of Spring| 515 AV

OOCI may have gotten a bit too into this particular post. If there're any problems feel free to say them. I'm a bit apprehensive to the reality of the goons just running away. I can't really picture the scene being scary or not.

Too focused on saving his student Kaik had failed to notice the fellow Animator following at a distance behind him.

Silently Kaik watched as his young student struggling on the ground. Although he did not do anything his presence was enough to make the group move their attention to him.

With painful effort Perrin looked up to see who had stopped the constant kicking.“K-...K-kai-k?”
“Shut up!” The lead said as he kicked him in the stomach.
“Leave him alone,” Kaik said with quiet rage.
“What was that? Hey, I think that petcher said something.”One lackey said.
“He’s scared stupid! He ain’t doing anything with his kids around.” Another lackey snickered.
“Oh? Think he’s this petcher’s friend? Let’s go beat him around. How about it coward!?” Said the leader.

I’m so...so very sorry Perrin...I couldn’t stop this. I’m sorry. Sorry. Forgive me.

The leader led his gang slowly forward threatening the newcomer with their knifes. They all laughed louder as they neared their target. With downcast eyes the doll maker unsheathed his steel dagger.

I won’t kill them. But I can at least make it hurt. Three of them. Two of us. Can’t let Arya do it, can’t kill them.

“H-hey uh...he’s got a weapon too!” Said a worried lackey.
“Idiot! We outnumber him, plus...” With a dash he grabbed Oliver and placed a dagger to where his throat was. “Now we got his kid! Heh, what’re you going to do now?” It seemed the heat of the moment clouded the leader’s vision or the hood of cloak did its job well, either well the man could not see the true nature of what he thought to be a kid. Oliver stood face forward toward his father.

How nostalgic...the same thing happened in that graveyard so many seasons ago. Yet...things have changed so much since then.

Kaik remained quiet as he looked at the three in front of him with utter hate. If there was fear still hidden in the young dollmaker it was not due to the possibility of death. What scared him was what would happen if he gave in to his anger. He could feel his tattoos begin to burn, the constant reminder of what he had done.

“Oliver...stab that man’s legs,” Kaik said aloud while pointing.
“Huh? What the pe-” The leaders words were stopped short by pain.

Oliver unsheathed his cold-iron angle knife and quickly plunged it inside the man’s right thigh. The man shouted out in pain, but Kaik did not let the onslaught end. As the two lackeys watched dumbstruck, Kaik stepped forward and delivered his right fist into the man’s face with a dagger still in hand. Oliver simply stood watching as the arm went over his head and toward the enemy. An unexpected mild pain filled his right hand soon after, but after a moment of hesitation he carried out his plan.

The leader of the bullies lied on the ground now gripping both his leg and face. Kaik waited till the stranger’s eyes opened before he raised a dagger above his face. He started to cry pleading for his life, “N-no stop! Stop! Please...don’t do it! Oh gods...no!” Kaik let the dagger fall to the ground right next to the man’s face. The leader turned his face to see the blade that had nearly killed him. Kaik picked up the dagger with a grin. The leader didn’t do anything even though Kaik had been unarmed, he was simply in shock. The lackeys also stood still holding their knifes tightly.

Silence had filled the alleyway in the moments after the dagger fell. After a chime the dollmaker began laughing. His actions were by no means a ‘scare’ tactic, but were truly how he had felt.

“Telling people to die...ha! What a joke,” Kaik looked into the eyes of the leader, “what’s wrong? Huh? Weren’t you prepared to die? You told Perrin to die didn’t you? Isn’t is naturally to assume he wishes for you die as well? Well? Should I kill you then?”
“N-no! Pleas-se no! I-I’m so sorry,” The leader cried out.
“Do you want to kill me?”
“N-no! O-o-f course...not.”
“Hm...you don’t? Well I want to kill you...actually I want to kill those two ‘friends’ of yours too. Is that okay?”
“D-don’t kill me! Anything you want! Pl-please just...don’t k-kill me!
“Anything?” Kaik chuckled, “then get your friends to beat you.”
“W-what?”
Kaik looked over to the two standing a distance away, “Hey! You’re boss said it’s okay to kick him!” He looked back down at the leader, “Isn’t that right? Or would you prefer I cut off your leg...oh so very slowly...I mean...you did say not to kill you.”
“Help me you idiots! Kill him!” The leader desperately shouted out.
Kaik picked up the knife the leader had dropped with his left hand and placed its edge on the man’s left leg.
“Shall I get started?”
“No! Forget what I said! Stop!”
The two lackeys ran away leaving behind their leader.
“I guess that’s enough.” Kaik used the back of his dagger and pummeled the man’s face till he was knocked out.

Kaik took Oliver’s dagger and wiped off the blood with man’s shirt. With haste Kaik made his way to Perrin’s side returning to his old, quiet facade.

Boxcode by Yra
Kaik Leyr
The Doll Animator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Next