Pick Up Your Toys And Get Out of My Sand? (Vendaril)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Una Nox on November 18th, 2010, 9:55 am

73rd Day of The Season of Fall, 510 AV

It was one of those days. No matter how hard headed Una was she simply could not help being both angry and sad once her memories caught up with her again for a bit. Lhavit was not really much of a place when you need to be alone, except if you wanted to stay inside your own room, but who in Priskil's name would want something limited like that? She needed to be alone now, didn't she? Well that's what she was doing usually, wasn't it? That's right, she needed some time for herself, and she knew just the place.

There was this run down place on the edge of Sartu peak, not so far from the Iraltu's observatory, but still far enough so she doesn't need to talk to anyone. The place was a perfect hideout, and it was also somewhat nostalgic as it was a lot like sitting on the edge of a cliff. The view from the spot was quite marvelous but the lack of noise is what drew her most to picking that one out of more potential candidates.

It was in sight now, the very sight of it pleased her in some wierd way. „Her perfectly alone spot“, but this time something was off, as she was glaring onto it from a distance and she could see a trespasser. A man, and wait, was it a Symenestra? She did not really care what race he was, she only figured that throwing him off the cliff would have no effect as Symenestra could easily scale walls and things like that. Shrugging her shoulders to the thought of simply taking a stone and hitting him until he was angry enough to lose a fight. She did not hate him, she just hated to share, she was selfish that way when it came to certain things.

Moving closer to the man, she ignored greeting him at first as she just sat there beside him and gazed into the distance. A bit further into her mind, a thought flashed her; What if he needed to be alone as well? But then she just shook her head wanting to tell him he needs to find a new spot 'cause this one was her's. Giving up the ressistance, she was in no mood for a fight, she let out a small indifferent breath before asking him: „So what are you doing here?“ she still did not want to look at him as she was now laying down on the ground and looking at the sky; It really was a beautiful morning.
Last edited by Una Nox on November 19th, 2010, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Una Nox
May Priskil guide my blade

Words: 40495
Joined roleplay: November 7th, 2010, 2:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vendaril on November 19th, 2010, 2:31 am

Stupid!

The early morning clouds drifted by the mountainside, as Vendaril sat on the cliff, cursing the wind. Flashes from the night before flickered behind his eyes, replaying those tense moments over, and over, and over… He massaged his eyes with his palms, trying to erase the memories. As he took his hands away, the sunlight burned bright in his face, burning images of itself onto the Symenestra’s retinas. He blinked furiously to get rid of the multicoloured spots he now saw, cursing all the while.

As the sun rose higher in the sky, Vendaril grew calmer. He sincerely regretted the things he had said, but he was hardly the only one to blame. Tao had said his fair share of hurtful things, but now he was gone. Probably thought he was just another murderous rapist, on the prowl for innocents to slaughter. He rose to his feet and looked out over the cliff-side, down into the misty dips and peaks below. He considered how easy it would be to jump, to end his life in a few thrilling instants. He smiled, and turned away pacing along the ledge, slowly. Eventually he settled again, dangling his legs over the edge. All it would take is one little push he mused, gazing over the captivating panorama before him.

The morning drew on and Vendaril became more in tune with the surroundings; he picked out the distant calls of birds from the muffled noise of the Lavitian citizens going about their business elsewhere on the mountain. This place was secluded, an island of peace in the city. He let out a slight sigh. He had hoped Lhavit would be different, he had heard tales of how the Shinya welcomed all visitors with open arms, but in the end it was still the same. The distrustful looks, the wary avoidance in the streets – it was better in the wild. Beasts couldn’t tell man from Symenestra, they saw only friend or foe, their lives were far simpler. Eat, sleep breed, repeat. That was the life, your friends were your family, and anyone who didn’t care enough to kill you. He sat like this for a while.

He was awakened from his reverie by the sounds of footfall. Tao? he instantly thought, then shook his head. If Tao had any sense he’d never encounter the amateur chef again. The footsteps stopped close to him, and a gentle breeze floated by as the person sat, bearing along a soft feminine fragrance. He inhaled serenely. Sitting idly for a while longer, he caught occasional glimpses of the other person from the corner of his eyes. She – it was definitely a she – was rather attractive, with reddish hair, silvery eyes and a petite face. She had an odd aura of confidence about her, and after a while she broke the silence, enquiring as to what he was doing here. Vendaril got the feeling that this was a frequent haunt of hers. He could see why, it offered a small amount of solitude in the city, and of course the view was spectacular.

Vendaril turned to face her, gazing solemnly at her skyward pointed face. Despite his glum disposition, he couldn’t stop his eyes taking a brief detour along the way. She was certainly a shapely young woman. “I came to try to find some peace.” He followed her eyes up into the clear sky. “I’ve not had much of it these last few days.” He could hear the fluttering of her breath in this reticent hideaway. “I do hope I am not intruding, I can leave if you so wish…” Vendaril hoped she wouldn’t pick up on the reluctant tone in his voice, but this truly was a unique place to hide from the troubles of life. Here was more wild than city, a place where he could slow down and watch the world turn.
Vendaril
the Doped Up Caveman

Words: 54016
Joined roleplay: October 31st, 2010, 2:37 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Una Nox on November 19th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Maybe it would have been better if she had ignored him and waited long enough for him to leave. At least that is what was going through her head as she was hearing him talk in an almost apologetic manner, and that only made her feel worse. Sighing slowly she spoke a bit apologetic: „Look, i really did not mean anything bad, i just.....“ her voice trailed off for a bit as she did not really want to tell him what was bothering her. Still she knew she had to tell someone at some point, holding it all inside was not only irritating but also not so healthy. When she spoke again her tone was a bit more stable, cheefull even: „It's not like i hold some right over this place, and besides if i started chasing away people who could make use of it, then this place would lose it's meaning“ as cheesy as it may have sounded, she really meant it, and it relaxed her.

Una used the moments while she was talking to the symenestra to try and get a better glimpse of his face. His hair was blond, no it was white, grey maybe? As the sun was shining down onto it, the reflections made it hard to decide, so she gazed down towards his eyes. The eyes he had were grey-ish, with a tad of colour sprinkling out of them, was it really purple? It caused her to wonder a bit as she could not pair the two in no manner what so ever. Still, it was nice to notice he had something other than dense grey shades in his eyes. The inspection went on longer as she was looking at him as a whole now. He was rather thin, maybe too thin? And his pale somewhat ash coulored skin could not be disregarded either. All of this made him look a bit like he was dead, or at least going there. Still it was none of her business, to speak of such things that is; so she just let the thoughts slide as the awkward realization hit her. She was staring at him for a bit, and she did not intend to, should she tell him that?

A long way it was, from pushing someone over the edge of a cliff, towards asking them not to go away, or so it seemed as Una was now laughing at the very thought of it. She was a bit nervous now, and it wasn't natural for her to feel that way, so she quickly did what she would always do when in an awkward situation, she started to talk. „I'm Una, how do they call you?“ it was not much of a conversation yet, but it helped her relax, so why not? Even if he was going to be reluctant over talking, she could always talk to herself, and so she started to smile for a bit at the last thing that went through her mind as she was awaiting for some sort of a response from the Symenestra.
Last edited by Una Nox on November 21st, 2010, 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Una Nox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vendaril on November 20th, 2010, 9:29 am

Vendaril swiveled awkwardly on his bottom, turning to face Una. He noticed as he looked at her more directly, that she had a glow to her, it was barely noticeable but he was sure it was there. She seemed to exude confidence, and it was working on Ven. He could feel himself wanting to talk to her, tell her about his troubles. But then he wouldn’t want to burden her with his worries. She seemed to be studying his appearance quite a bit – he suspected she had not encountered one of his kind this closely before. He took this as a sign allowing him to take in her appearance more directly too. His eyes snagged on hers as she asked his name, and he replied, “My name is Vendaril Ixora, pleased to make your acquaintance.”

His mouth answered without guidance from his brain, and he suddenly realized how snooty he sounded. “It’s good to know someone else appreciates the quieter places in the world, sometimes I feel they are all too rare.” The slight masked sadness in her voice had not escaped Vendaril’s notice, and he was curious to know as to the nature of her problem. After all, he was sure he had heard someone saying, “A problem shared is a problem, erm, lessened?” It was something along those lines anyway, and he felt that perhaps if he could convince her to tell him of her problems, maybe he could trust her enough to speak of his own personal issues. Viratas knew he needed a friend, especially after Tao was lost to him.

“You, um, is something the matter?” Vendaril broached the subject tenderly, ready to withdraw at the slightest sign that he had overstepped the mark. “You want to talk?” The morning sun helped to keep Vendaril at ease, warming his exposed hands and face, and through them, his soul. He remembered with fear the crushing feeling from the other night as his chest constricted him. That worried him greatly, perhaps he ought to find a healer to advise him on the matter. He certainly needed reassurance, if only that he wasn’t going to die.

The noise in the background had begun to rise as the city approached the point where its populace was truly awake. Vendaril missed the quiet of the early hours of the morning – the very early hours. He hadn’t been sleeping well lately, haunted by dreams of an iron band tightening around him, squeezing the life from him inch by inch. He was glad to have found this place, it offered solace from his night terrors. Later that day, he intended to do some good exercise, some climbing, some pushups; get himself nice and worn out to allow at least a few bells of sleep before the nightmare struck again that night. For now though, he was content to sit in the soothing sunlight and chat with the attractive girl he had managed to meet.
Vendaril
the Doped Up Caveman

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Una Nox on November 22nd, 2010, 12:01 am

Vendaril, it really was a curious name to Una, but after figuring she has no idea about anything related to the Symenestra and their culture, she just let it go. It was not like she never heard stories filled with horror and danger that were quite common when she usually heard people talk about their kind. Especially when she was small, among many monsters enlisted among the ones that would eat you if you don't finish your meal or sleep tight all night, there were them, the spider folk. Were they really that brutal? Was this one different, or just silk tongued? All of these thoughts were entwining themselves inside Una's head, and as they grew in number, she could feel a thousand voices screaming at her to do this and that, deep inside her head. Looking back at Vendaril, he looked so frail that even she could take him if it came down to it; And so she deemed him „different“, or rather not a threat. His categorization was confusing the girl a bit so she just turned her mind away from such thoughts.

So he liked the wild? So he really did have a free heart even with looking so dead? Maybe she was an idiot to presume he looks like a dead guy? Too many questions, too few answers, and with this the dilemma was gone. „Well let's just say sometimes less is more if you know what i mean?“ she spoke softly, referring to how this place was much more silent than the usual hangouts. Even though she thought of leaving for a few more times, somehow it just felt wrong now, as he seemed like an interesting company, and besides; Not many who venture onto a Symenestra live to tell the tale, she kept the joke to herself as she thought that Vendaril would not take it so lightly, and he had every right to do so.

And it was here that the conversation took one of those „unwanted“ turns. He was asking if something was bothering her, and she wanted to tell him, but.... it just did not feel like her at all. So she found a compromise to that solution, she was going to lie. „I had this friend not so long ago; She was weird at the very best....“ her voice trailed off for a bit as she took a deep breath to remain calm. She never liked lying and she was never quite good at it, but how hard could it be to fool a complete stranger? And so she continued as her voice ran a bit more silent: „From what she told me, her stepfather tried to.... well to abuse her, she fought back and crippled the bastard, and all that only to have her mother blame her for everything“ she sighed before adding the finishing line: „Some say she took a tumble off a cliff after that, others say she just ran, either way.... no one ever saw her again, not even me...“ she could feel her tone deteriorating, lying seemed hard after all, she was surprised. Even with the bad feeling in her gut, she still felt like a stone had dropped from her heart without revealing too much. „It happened a few years ago somewhere around this time of year, so i guess things caught up with me...“ once again her voice vanished slowly as she could hear her brain screaming. „Stupid, stupid, stupid, how could have you forgotten to mention that?“ her mind swirling she just gave up trying to fix anything, as it would only look suspicious. „So what brought you here despite your love for "quiet places"?“ she could not help but giggle a bit as she stated her question, after all, it was all rather hard to put together.

The city became more and more alive as their chatter progressed, and somehow all the racket seemed to simply avoid them and splash around distant cliffs and rocks; Or maybe her thoughts were just too loud for her to hear anything else?
Una Nox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vendaril on November 26th, 2010, 6:14 am

OOCSorry about the delay, I’ve had a whirlwind of exams D:

A shudder ran down Vendaril spine as a gust of wind whistled past the mountainous alcove, reminding him of the impeding winter. He remembered his need for a cloak again, and was mildly irritated by his forgetting, but he flicked his attention back to Una. He didn’t want to seem rude, so he focused on her words as the floated through her lips, forcing distractions from his mind. His stomach gurgled. I haven’t eaten lately, I should probably hunt to- argh! Eyes refocused on hers, twiddling his fingers over the cliffs edge to keep her from noticing his fidgeting. The thought of hunting had surged through his veins like lightning and he needed to let out that energy somehow.

The mid-morn sun lit Una’s hair like a glowing frame to her face. Vendaril noticed it no longer seemed red, more of a brownish colour, auburn, it was hard to describe. His mind wandered again, trying to think of the word to explain it before dealing himself a mental blow to bring him back to the moment. He realized he didn’t notice the distant noise of the city whilst she spoke; she had a slight tenderness but steely determination in her speech. It was an odd combination to Vendaril’s ears, but then he supposed his accent probably sounded stranger to her than hers to him. He inhaled the fresh air with a faint smile as she spoke.

As Una told her tale, Vendaril couldn’t help but pick up the uneasiness in her voice. He wondered what was causing the nervous quiver in her words; whether it was simply pent up emotion or if she were attempting to pull the wool over his eyes. Either way, he paid close attention to the story and responded with the appropriate sympathetic look and condolences. “I’m sorry to hear of your loss. It’s not easy to continue, I know. Were you close to her?” A crisp brown leaf floated by on a draught, dancing across the dusty ground they were sat on. He wondered if it was wise to be nosing into someone else’s business again, but his curiosity got the better of him. He briefly forgot his own troubles as he listened to her explaining her own.
Vendaril
the Doped Up Caveman

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Una Nox on November 28th, 2010, 1:26 pm

OOC :
Don't worry, just take your time, i still love you as long as you come back every once in a while xD

So it worked? It seemed like it did; Una smiled a bit to herself until she realized something that struck her back into an awkward place. Lies or not, she was still sort of depending on telling her worries to someone, and it was a bit much, maybe too much? Shivering a bit as if it was the wind, she gave of a slight sigh as she turned to Vendaril, and even though she already understood his appearance, somehow he seemed to be even stranger now, it was probably all her imagination... but still.

Then her thoughts struck her again; So he needed to be alone too? But why? And was it alright to ask? But maybe he would flee if she asked? Maybe that would not be such a bad thing? Una gave up on thinking as she finally understood what it meant to be undecisive, for the first time after a long time. But still she was curious more, much more than she was cautious, and so she asked that one idea, that one question that was pressing her weary mind: „I know it's none of my business, but it only seems fitting for you to answer a question similar to your own; Why did you need to be alone Vendaril? If you don't mind telling me that is?“ she gave of a somewhat warm smile, but it was more to encourage her to end the sentence than anything else.

Were all Symenestra this depressing and quiet or did this one just have a lot on his time? Una wondered many things as she awaited for Vendaril to decide wether he would answer her question. She could not really blame him if he didn't, but still it was not like she could understand that reaction. The day was passing along nicely, she should get a job soon..... Maybe the Shinya, they sound like an interesting crowd after all.

Her thoughts were threatening to pull her into some drifting fantasy again so she just stopped thinking keeping all her functions to a minimum; All she could hear now was both theirs breaths, and some strange noise in the background, it was all so well accompanied with the strong beats of her heart, that seemed to make her ear buzz a bit.
Una Nox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vendaril on December 13th, 2010, 2:19 am

Vendaril’s eyes flitted across the landscape beyond the city as she asked his business in this place. It seemed as though he had wanted this all along, just an excuse to share his burden. Was that why he had asked her of her troubles in the first place? He was uncertain, and he wondered that if so, was that wrong? Vain? Whatever it was, she had asked him now, so speculation was hardly going to get him anywhere. A moment’s contemplation preceded his answer.

“I recently had an encounter that has shaken me. Well I say encounter, more of a confrontation – though it did not start that way. I was falsely accused of, erm, certain activities with criminal intent. During the ensuing conflict someone whom I had previously counted among my allies – few as they are in this new town! – spoke out against me. Then I, well, I suppose I lost my temper. I said some rather uncivilized words, and now I fear I shall never regain his trust and respect.” Vendaril spoke in short bursts, each with gaps in between, somewhat unwilling to share his tale with a near total stranger but still urging each word out as rapidly after the other as possible.

Una seemed slightly apprehensive as she sat, as if unwilling to hear his worries but feeling compelled to do so by his own queries. Whatever the issue was, he certainly could not consider her as a friend yet, not with how swiftly Tao had turned on him. He did however feel a certain longing towards her though, he was desperately lonely nowadays, and it had been a very long time since he had been with a woman… In fact, he had never been with one of human stock, and Symenestra women were very apprehensive when it came to the physical side of a relationship.

Despite this slightly irritating attraction, Vendaril decided against telling of his night terrors, and the fearful rate at which his body had failed him that fateful night. Perhaps if the girl proved herself to be a trustworthy companion he would reconsider, but until then he would learn to deal with it himself. It would appear that despite appearances this city was not so unlike the wild – the denizens here were just as willing to exploit weakness as their cousins in the jungles of Falyndar. He rubbed his upper arms vigorously as the air’s slight chill seemed to become positively bitter. He redirected himself to look into her eyes.
Vendaril
the Doped Up Caveman

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Una Nox on December 24th, 2010, 11:50 pm

:DI really am terribly sorry for the delay, and would like to continue this thread if you still want to play with me? :)

Again a strange thought had hit Una, was all of this „bonding“ really what she wanted all along? Was she angry? Sad? Simply lonely? Maybe two out of the three? Maybe all three? Maybe it was wrong of her to judge the Symenestra so soon? So many questions clouded her reason as she looked back to Vendaril only to realize he was looking at her. If one would take out the thing that she had never been really close to one of the spider kind and the fact that they were still total strangers, it may have even looked like quite a romantic sight. Scared by her imagination, Una blushed a bit, and turned her gaze over to the gaping chasm in front of them.

Vendaril was still different in her eyes, he was almost like a lost puppy and that thought had an air of slight attraction to it. He was there, yet he did not impose on her, almost as if he was ready to leave on each and every next moment. That uncertainty hanged a bit longer in Una, as she was not yet sure how to even sum all her wrecked brains up.

A sudden burst of words flew easily on her tongue as she just felt awkward speaking about his issues any longer, and besides it had looked as if he wanted it to be left alone: „There probably isn't a single person on this good land that you can fully trust, yet we sometimes let such instincts take over. It really is a strange thing, don't you think, that we are the both at our strongest and at our weakest when we trust another?“ She took a deep breath, but not to wait for an answer, the question was rethorical after all: „ You might think of me as blurting out nonsense, and i probably am, i always talk too much when i'm nervous. Still, i could be your frie... acquintance....“ her voice trailed off slowly but surely as she nudged a bit to her own words. She did not expect to say so much, even while being nervous. Still, it was all water under the bridge, and she couldn't really think up a way to undo what she had just done, so she gave it all she had, as she smiled gently and pushed her doubts away. She said her lines, it was up to the man next to her to decide.
Una Nox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vendaril on January 1st, 2011, 8:46 am

OOCI would love to continue this thread, and apolagise for my lateness yet again. No excuses I'm afraid :S Perhaps we should start to wrap it up soon?

Vendaril was a little taken aback by the swift reply, but not so much as he was by the astuteness of what Una said. He knew people in far away places who would consider such insights rather wise. However, experience had taught the young man that such wisdom often came at the price of the seer’s wellbeing. One of the cleverest men Vendaril knew, a wizened old Symenestra in Kalinor had told him that intelligence and happiness were directly linked – the more you knew, the less satisfaction it brought you. From Una’s story and the way she spoke it, he was obliged to agree with the statement. She certainly seemed as if she had endured much hardship.

As Una drew breath Ven made to voice his thoughts, but she ploughed on with her hurried conversation. Her words had something of a hollowness to them, like she were reciting them rather than speaking from the heart. It was always difficult to voice such ideas without sounding cliché or pretentious though, and at least she wasn’t lauding her magnificent enlightenment as less savoury characters might do.

Upon the proposition of becoming more frequent acquaintances Vendaril grinned, exposing the ivory fangs jutting from his gums. He thought he understood what she was trying to say. “I would be honored to call you my friend,” He said, his smile stretching ear to ear. Una seemed like she could certainly use as much opportunity to let her hair down and blow off steam as possible. He cocked his head slightly, and ran his eyes over her once again, however this time he had more moral reasons than before. Lingering over her hands and forearms he attempted to gauge what her hobbies or practices may be. They seemed just as soft and delicate as the rest of her body, however on closer inspection, the pale glow that emanated from her skin helped blur and mask small nick in the pearly white, little lines of scar tissue. He figured she must be a blades woman. “So,” he spoke in a more casual tone, “What do you do with your time? Would I be correct in saying you practice with a sword of some sort?”
Vendaril
the Doped Up Caveman

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Next