Flashback The Glass Ceiling

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

The Glass Ceiling

Postby Shakune on April 18th, 2015, 10:42 am

11th Summer, 505AV

Shakune had visited Lhavit three years ago, but at the time she had only stayed on land for one day, and had followed her crew around without truly paying attention to the place. And so, now she was able to explore the city on her own, the city felt brand new to her, unknown and exciting.

Lhavit differed completely to the other cities she had so far experienced. It was much more beautiful than Sunberth, more open than Syliras and less intimidating than Ravok. Even she, a girl who considered herself to be a hardy sailor-in-training, had to appreciate the glasswork that networked throughout the city. Even the mountain themselves possessed an illustrious, exquisite thing about them. The whole city was strangely magical and unnatural, and yet Shakune was fascinated with the place. She was unsure of its history; Pa Salt had attempted to better educate her the last time she had visited, but the girl had quickly discarded his lessons shortly after their leave three years prior.

And yet Shakune felt that she was a poor fit to the city. She was not ethereal enough to truly blend in. The stares she received for her appearance did not help, either. Though for once, it was quite pleasant to be regarded as an interesting foreign spectacle rather than a potential slave.

But a fascinating appearance was not enough to make the girl feel comfortable in Lhavit. She would never find a home in the mountainside city, she instinctively knew. Her home was not a city, but instead a ship. The Lady Luck had docked at Lhavit the previous day, and as usual her captain had chosen to remain with the ship whilst the rest of her crew resided in the Shooting Star Inn. They were to stay in the city for an entire season - the longest time they had spent within a single place for the five years Shakune had been a member of the crew. She knew better than to ask for the reasons behind such an extended stay, but her interest was nevertheless piqued.

But there was a more immediate need that had to be fulfilled now. She needed to familiarise herself with the city that would become her home for the next season. Even more crucially, Shakune had to find what it was that Lhavit's citizens did for fun. Fishing, or swimming maybe? Boredom irritated her; it was a scratch that simply had to be itched.

With a sigh, she exited the Inn and lingered at its doorway. Common sense told the girl to stay close to the tavern until she was better at navigating her way around the city. But the inflated self-confidence of youth made the half-Chaktawe turn left outside the tavern, striding forwards to discover her temporary new home.
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Words: 281911
Joined roleplay: August 21st, 2014, 10:43 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

The Glass Ceiling

Postby Lisana on April 19th, 2015, 4:39 am

Lisana wound through the paths of Kalea's diamond, Syna's light cloaking the city in twinkling reflections. The child had no destination in mind, but rather preferred wandering through the streets, looking for some sort of adventure that could be hiding behind many a corner. Although, the girl was a bit disappointed, not being able to find anything interesting, excepting the flora adorning almost every building. Liz stopped more than a few times to observe the beautiful greenery, and to inhale the pleasant aroma.

The girl passed an inn, which she knew to serve food, although she had no money to purchase any. A growl resonated from Lisana's stomach, and the child realized she hadn't had breakfast that day. Being that it wasn't something that could be fixed, the girl ignored the slight hole in her stomach and kept walking.

Thoughts began swirling amongst Lisana's mind, abut anything and everything. As a result, there was no warning for the gentle bump on her shoulder. The child looked up to realize she'd bumped into somebody, while she'd been lost in thought.

x
I make mediocre boxcodes for people here.
Otaia|Anthere|Lisana
3/5 Threads
Lisana
Player

Words: 66239
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2014, 11:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Glass Ceiling

Postby Shakune on April 30th, 2015, 6:22 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tThis city was strange, all sparkly and glass like a painting. It was pretty, Shakune had to admit, but simply not to her taste. Poets and artists would appreciate this place more, rather than a teenager with simple tastes and a brutish nature.

When someone knocked into her, Shakune instinctively turned around sharply and said, "Oi! Watch it!" in the scrappy manner she carried with her when aboard the Lady Luck. It took the young girl a tick or so to catch herself and realise remember she was. Instantly, her cheeks flush pinkly. "Oh, I'm sorry." She mumbled guiltily, throwing the passing adults a sheepish look.

She felt embarrassingly crude speaking so brashly whilst standing in the glittering city of Lhavit. Shakune's confidence began to melt away as she realised that she was nothing more than a young girl in an unfamiliar place. She was not a thick-skinned pirate. With difficulty, she swallowed down this uncomfortable truth.

"I didn't mean t'speak t'ya like that." She apologised glumly, pupil-less eyes looking down to her feet, "you made me jump, is all." Her explanation was feeble, but honest.

For the first time, Shakune regarded the other girl. Shocking red hair sat on top of a plain-enough looking face, on which centred a pair of different coloured eyes: one blue, one green. Strange, Shakune considered, but at least human-looking. The half-breed tried to give the other girl a crooked smile. "D'ya live 'round here?"
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Glass Ceiling

Postby Lisana on May 6th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Lisana jumped, blubbering out an apology when the girl she'd just bumped into snapped at her. "I'm sorry," Liz muttered, and the other girl replied with an apology of her own. Lisana felt bad, but before she could explain herself, the lady before made an effort to apologize.

"It's fine," Lisana said, "I should have watched where I was going." As they spoke, Lisana studied the woman's face. She had tanned skin, and dark hair. She couldn't be more than six years older than Liz, so the child shoved away any of her mother's warnings of, "Don't talk to strangers!" Besides, if you couldn't talk to strangers, how would you make friends? Lisana silently snapped at herself. But the child's attention continued to revert back to the stranger's eyes. They were pitch black, and made Liz feel a bit uneasy. She tried not to stare, knowing how uncomfortable she felt when people stared at her eyes. The eyes screamed foreigner! and the teenager's accent clarified this.

The stranger asked Lisana a question, and the child replied proudly, "Yes, I do!" The little girl loved the city, and was very proud of living there. "Where are you from?" The child figured that it was someplace far less extravagant than Zintila's city, as the child thought highly of the place she grew up in.
Otaia|Anthere|Lisana
3/5 Threads
Lisana
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Glass Ceiling

Postby Shakune on May 8th, 2015, 4:07 pm

She was another child. Though, at fifteen, Shakune outright refused to accept that she still fell under the category of 'child'. Nevertheless, the sight of another person close to her age broke down the half-breed's guard. Perhaps a little too efficiently, in fact. But it was a rare to see another kid, and Shakune felt that the least she could do was enjoy the company of this younger girl - at least for a while.

Plus, it's better that I go off with a young kid than a grown man. That'd be how she would explain herself to the rest of the crew if they noticed her speak to a stranger. This place, Lhavit, was apparently pretty safe anyway. It was the entire reason Shakune was allowed to explore by herself, so why shouldn't she talk to someone?

The logic of a teenager assured the half-breed that she was safe, so with a critical eye, she scanned the passing crowds. After all, she didn't want to seem too keen, did she? "I live on a boat." She replied with a casual shrug, hugely downplaying the excitement and happiness her lifestyle gave her.

"So what is there to do around here?" She asked, bringing her left thumb to her mouth and chewing at it. She'd seen Pa Salt do it countless times when he was dealing with a new client. Act like you don't even want their business, see, he would tell her afterwards with a wink, and then they'll desperately want to sell it to you for a lower price.
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Glass Ceiling

Postby Lisana on May 13th, 2015, 2:02 am

"A boat?" the child yelped in amazement. Lisana had never been on a boat before, and had no idea what it was like. She almost asked if she could leave on the boat with the teenager, and see the world, but then realized asking such a thing would be foolish. You don't even know her name! This thought prompted another question. "What's your name? I'm Lisana."

The teenager was nonchalant about the city, and the child took it a bit personally. The visitor should be awestruck by the city's beauty. Not wanting to be rude, Liz said nothing.

"Well, there are plenty of parks... and, um, places to eat..." The child trailed off, trying to think. "Oh!" An idea of an entertaining location popped into Lisana's head. "We could go to the Observatory!" It was a bit of a walk, but it was always gorgeous to look at the stars. "Or no.. never mind. It would have to be night to go there." The little girl smiled sheepishly.

"What kinds of things are you interested in?" Liz assumed there wasn't much to do on a ship, and wanted to entertain the visitor as much as she could.
Otaia|Anthere|Lisana
3/5 Threads
Lisana
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Glass Ceiling

Postby Shakune on May 15th, 2015, 9:06 am

Shakune's black eyes glittered excitedly at the girl's amazement over her lifestyle. Yes it all sounded rather glamorous, Shakune likened to think. It contrasted starkly with her previous life in Zeltiva, where her life had centred around her mother's drug habit.

No, don't think of that. The teen told herself sternly, brows furrowed in concentration as she pushed those thoughts out of her mind and replaced them with what was happening in her life now. She was in Lhavit, far away from Zeltiva and Kinsha's drugs. She was safe, happy and a sailor. "Shakune." She replied absently, to a question the other had asked.

The second question, however, stumped Shakune. What did she enjoy doing? Living on a ship, sailing, fishing, swimming. All of her favourite hobbies centred around her life at sea. She was on land now, and the girl had almost forgotten what life on solid ground was like. "Anythin'." She replied eventually with a shrug. "Life on a ship is pretty busy, so there's not always alotta stuff to do." But she was never bored on the Lady Luck. If there was no job for her to do, she'd pester the crew for entertainment. Sometimes they'd sing or teach her to dance. Othertimes, they'd throw her overboard and let the spluttering half-breed climb back up. That usually wasted away a good half bell.

"What'd you do for fun?" She turned the questions around, allowing the other girl - Lisana, she said her name was - to instead chose an activity for them to do. The half-breed turned another precarious glance to the people passing them by. "Have you lived here all y'life?"
Shakune
I drive a hard bargain.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Glass Ceiling

Postby Lisana on May 20th, 2015, 3:38 am

"It's nice to meet you, Shakune," Lisana delivered a greeting to the visitor.

The teenager stated that life on a ship was dull, and work-filled. Because of this, Liz felt that she had to introduce to Shakune the wonders of dry land. The child thought highly of Zintila's city, and felt obliged to show the newcomer the wonders of Lhavit.

It was evident that the stranger didn't know what she wanted to do, rather asking of Lisana a similar question to what was asked before. "I usually just wander around, looking for something to do." This made the child realize just how uninteresting her life was. She pushed the thought away, thinking about the question at hand.

An idea rushed through her mind, and Lisana piped up. "We could go to the Okomo villa!" The creatures were quite entertaining, and fun to look at and pet. The child just hoped Shakune would be entertained.
Otaia|Anthere|Lisana
3/5 Threads
Lisana
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes