You Can't Fight Tears that Ain't Coming (Cosette pls)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Re: You Can't Fight Tears that Ain't Coming (Cosette pls)

Postby Malia on February 13th, 2010, 10:22 am

The archmage … So the girl had been to Sahova and had spoken to an influential and powerful Nuit, most likely one of the oldest existing undead. Malia didn’t feel tempted to visit Sahova just for the sake of getting to know beings who had watched the world since before the Valterrian, perhaps even for thousands and thousands of years, but she couldn’t deny that she was curious. How would they act, speak, think? What epiphanies had they experienced? Hopefully they had found an answer to Malia’s ever-constant question of sense, but then she doubted it. It couldn’t be that easy, after all.

However, she silently approved of Cosette’s idea. The laboratories of those who had first created Nuit and Pycons would certainly help. If one knew how they were created, one could also find out how they could be transformed into what they had been before. Humans … dead bodies or clay. She wondered whether it was even possible for them to claim a living body and slip into human existence once more. What would happen to their ichor? It was a complicated topic, that much was sure.

Well, as Cosette had said, the Nuit had all the time of the world to do her research. And Malia had all the time in the world to observe, to learn from the living and probably find a sense for herself, something worth living. Belief was the most important thing for them. Belief fueled their desires, kept them occupied.

Suddenly the girl’s voice changed. She was asking for a favor? Malia tilted her head, face blank, curiosity sparkling in her eyes, and waited. Then she gave a short nod. What the girl asked for wouldn’t be too difficult. “I will, yes.”

When Cosette mentioned Glav Navik, the caretaker of the temple, she nodded again. Oh, indeed she remembered her last visit all too well. Many things had happened, but Glav had been the one to let her in and provide clarity of the mind and silence. Eventually that had led to her meeting a goddess … An encounter she would never forget. It was forever burned in her immortal Nuit memory. Her expression didn’t change, but somehow she appeared wiser, more beautiful to the other undead girl.

However, the impression only lasted a single moment before it was gone. “I have met Glav before”, she commented. “What exactly is it that you do for him?” Her imagination was good, but she had no idea what Cosette would find interesting enough to do for a living.

Perhaps she didn’t know enough about Glav, and she certainly didn’t know enough about her opponent. It was time to find out a bit more …
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Cosette Merryweather on February 13th, 2010, 5:26 pm

"I'm something between a personal assistant and a maid..." of course the fact that Glav could do everything she did and more made her feel more like a freeloader than a welcome addition to the temple. "For the moment I intend to do everything I can to help him with his work and when I finally find some solid evidence about the whereabouts of either Pycon's or Sagallius' laboratories I'll temporarily resign from the position."

"...I don't mean to prod, but what did you discuss with father Glav? He usually has interesting things to say the first time you speak with him." she remembered the first time she had talked to the man, he'd instantly figured out what she was despite the magical measures she employed to disguise herself. "Did he figure out that you were a Nuit almost immediately?" assuming of course, that he didn't already know.

"I sometimes wonder if maybe its a gnosis that lets him do that... The man just seems more than just a priest... I sometimes suspect he's a champion of some god, if he doesn't have divine blood running in his veins..." Cosette had been speculating about the man all this time but this was probably the first opportunity she had to talk about her suspicions. At the very least she was certain that Malia would have suspected something too, she was far too old for things to pass her that easily after all.
The answer is more Body Building. -X.
Cosette Merryweather
Unyielding Optimism

Words: 69794
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2009, 10:22 am
Character sheet

Postby Malia on February 13th, 2010, 7:53 pm

To Malia, that job sounded like everything and nothing at the same time. She simply helped him, but, well, if she liked the job and he had use for her Malia was the least to criticize that arrangement. Besides, the way Cosette spoke about the job told her that she thought of it as some kind of transition until she got more information and was able to continue her search.

But then, the girl asked her to wander back to the past again … not really that long ago when she had just arrived at Syliras, purchased a small apartment and found herself with too much free time at hand. One of her first strolls had led her to the Temple of All Gods, inside the main hall and to the cozy little back room that was decorated with the most beautiful and expressive pictures of the gods she had ever seen. Not that she had seen much depictions of the divines anyway; she was usually satisfied seeing them in her mind only. Glav had been very kind to her, very understanding.

The corners of her mouth curled a bit and a thoughtful expression crossed her features. “I wished to worship Tanroa … but I had no idea whether there were any rules of worshiping a god or not. In the end Glav has helped me to find my own way. Since then Tanroa lifts me up when I’m weaker than I should be.” Strong words, voiced with passion. Malia had tried to sum it up as shortly as possible. Those memories were private as well as precious – she would cherish and remember them as long as she lived. And obviously that would be a very long time.

Then her attention turned to the temple’s caretaker. Yes, she had been a bit surprised, but his whole demeanor offered comfort and understanding. Why would one not trust him and tell him everything they needed to get off their mind? Perhaps Cosette was right and he was involved with magic or one of the gods. Malia wasn’t sure herself, but she nodded. “Indeed, he did.”

Cosette’s suggestions made her think about him. She didn’t know anything about him … and the people she heard talking at the streets didn’t seem to either. He simply existed in the middle of the city’s lively population: A priest without family ties, without any connections at all. Despite the fact that he was employing a Nuit girl as an assistant. It did sound a bit dubious, Malia had to admit. “I wonder what he is and what kind of knowledge he possesses. It must be very interesting to learn from him.” Her eyes sparkled a bit at those words. She longed for knowledge, for a different perspective, for something she could relate to.

Perhaps Glav was just the person she was looking for. However, whatever was the case, she was grateful for Cosette pointing that little difference out to her. Tilting her head, she spoke: “I didn’t realize that he is different until now. He may know a thing or two about what we are looking for.”
Malia
The Remnants

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Cosette Merryweather on February 14th, 2010, 2:46 pm

So the Nuit was a worshiper of the goddess of time. There were intense emotions behind those words, much more than Malia had ever displayed during the entire time they spent talking. "So... should I take it that means you've been marked by the goddess...?" the little Nuit stepped closer, her eyes scanning the older woman's skin for the beautiful mark the goddess would have most definitely made in the event Malia was being honest.

"Sorry... I've never seen a gnosis close up, father Glav doesn't flaunt them and I find it difficult to stare at his..." and then she wasn't even sure if those really were gnosis. They could've been something else entirely, maybe they were glyphs? "I wanted to know, how one differs from another. I wanted to know how much commitment one has to make to be blessed by the gods themselves."

"Its difficult to learn from father Glav, he has plenty of secrets... He may even know exactly what we want to know but I doubt he'll tell us anything." A smile touched Cosette's lips and she turned her eyes towards a flock of birds that were passing by overhead. "Besides, the best answers rarely ever come from other people." she truly believed that statement of hers. The decision to live was hers to made and when she did make it she did so by becoming a far stronger Cosette than the last. Becoming a Nuit might not have been as much of a curse as she might have thought it was in the first place, it was a thought that was only begging to take root in her mind.

"After we part ways, where do you intend to go? You're special to me Malia, if only because you're the first female Nuit I've talked to who has a personality. It would be great if I knew where to reach you in case I get too bored at work."
Cosette Merryweather
Unyielding Optimism

Character sheet

Postby Malia on February 18th, 2010, 10:36 am

Malia felt a bit uncomfortable about being eyed by the other girl expectantly, but she could understand her curiosity to a certain degree. She herself would have been more subtle, of course. Nevertheless she bent down to offer Cosette a close look to her eyes. Pitch-black and deep and empty they were, but if one looked closely they would notice slim blue circles framing the blackness. Blue circles that always were one with the river of time and enabled Malia to jump right into it and watch if she wished so.

When seeing cognition running over Cosette’s features, Malia straightened. She almost looked serene, like someone who was content with what she was. Of course, there still were many unsolved mysteries and problems lying underneath, but Tanroa had given her the belief and will to fight. She didn’t have a purpose, a sense … not yet, but at least she had something else.

“Commitment? Perhaps I have been lucky … Tanroa gave me her mark as a gift. Also, I don’t think that any other god has claimed the eyes of their followers for gnosis marks.” No, she didn’t know anything about other gods. Of course, the basic knowledge was there, but she wasn’t particularly interested in worshiping other gods. It felt like they didn’t really belong to her world, although she assumed that Nuit could worship whom they wanted just as the living did. Time was everything that mattered to her, so she stuck to that aspect of divinity.

“True”, she nodded along to Cosette’s statement about finding out answers on one’s own. “Glav knows that as well.” Oh, come to think of it, she was sure that he knew. The old man knew so many things, he was wise and would never impose his knowledge upon others. He left them searching on their own and if they asked, he answered. In many ways, he reminded Malia of herself: watching, but never deliberately changing anything. Only when provoked he would act. As a Nuit Malia respected him … Perhaps he was the only living person she could respect.

The next words surprised her a bit. Special …? No, she wasn’t special, just another Nuit searching for something that would connect her to the living again. From that perspective she almost had the same goal as Cosette, but the difference lied in the methods they used, the path they followed. Perhaps she was special, because she was different. Perhaps Cosette who had experienced the ancient beings in Sahova found her special because she was older than her and still had a “personality” – whatever that meant to her. Malia wasn’t sure, but she nodded.

“I live in a small apartment. You can always reach me there – sooner or later”, she mused. Her love for roaming the streets of Syliras, merging with the living was still very much present. However, sooner or later she would return to the cell that she called home, as she had said. She recited the exact location and address from memory and added: “I don’t mind meeting you again. If you’d like we can travel to Sahova together, although I don’t know when that will be.”

Pausing and feeling the awkward silence for a few moments, she concluded: “May the gods light your path, Cosette. It was interesting to talk to you.” And she meant what she said. Interesting, useful, revealing. This little girl had been the first Nuit she had met apart from her ‘Master’. She remained to wait for Cosette’s reply and then she would leave the alley and disappear in the crowd.

OOCThank you for this thread! Hopefully we'll meet in Spring to head towards Sahova. ;)
Malia
The Remnants

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Cosette Merryweather on February 19th, 2010, 7:30 am

"I wouldn't know, I've seen few gnosis in my time, all of them in passing." the younger nuit delved into the older one's and determined to memorize the features of one favored by the goddess of time. "Yours is a beautiful mark, I'll probably never find religion. The only god I'd have wanted to worship is dead and the others would no doubt demand something from me."

Cosette murmured the address to herself, even going as far as coming up with a short mnemonic for it. She didn't want to risk loosing contact with the only other Nuit she'd met in the city. At the very least she had something to report to master Farke now, if he wasn't up and about doing business elsewhere on the continent.

"I'll leave a letter penned to your initial if ever I don't find you home." the suggestion of going to the island citadel caused Cosette a brief moment of uneasiness. She'd been rejected there, by no means barred but she didn't want to go visit a place that wasn't willing to receive her. "Sahova... I can't say I miss the place but my teacher, master Farke might be there and I miss the man. He's by far the nicest of the masters there, aside from the archmage himself of course... just tell me when you want to go, I'll accompany you."

"Oh and when we do get there avoid the nuit who goes by the name Aelobius. He's a master voider who's prone to sending those he doesn't like into oblivion, or that's what I'm told. He looks just as sinister as his reputation entails too."

"If any would." she mused. Cosette doubted any divinity would take pity on her, Syliras was dead and the rest that she knew about were self-serving gods. "Tanroa lights yours, I won't need to wish you safety." the small nuit smiled and waved at the other older nuit as she drifted away silently and not before long she lost Malia's form in a crowd of ever changing colors.
Cosette Merryweather
Unyielding Optimism

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on February 28th, 2010, 9:34 am

Malia
Experience: +1 Interrogation
Lore : Sahova (partial/rumors), Master Zarik (partial/rumors), Aelobuis (partial/rumors)

Cosette
Experience: +1 Interrogation
Lore: Physical Appearance of Tanroa’s Gnosis Mark

Notes: There really wasn't a whole lot of information passed about various folks or concepts to award full lores. Otherwise nice social thread you girls.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Previous