Flashback Written in the Sand

Unarmed Training... Again

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Written in the Sand

Postby Elias Caldera on May 9th, 2015, 3:52 am

60th Day of Spring, 508 AV

"And you promise, right?" The scrawny thief asked impudently, green eyes skeptical yet desperate as they looked toward the apprentice whom he stood before. Elias rolled his eyes and sighed in annoyance. “I 'promise' that if I have to repeat myself again, I’m going to change my mind.” He exclaimed, a hand dropping dangerously upon the hilt of his weapon. The narrowly built young man flinched and threw his hands up. “Alright, alright!” The urchin cried, helpless against his better's subtle powers of persuasion. The Ravokian couldn't help but notice with impatience as the boy’s attention constantly fluttered over to the exits of the fighting pit. He had chased him here for an intensely dogged pursuit through the merchant district, and both of them were tired from the running, but the petitioner wasn't above catching him a second time if need be. Truth be told, he also wouldn't mind it either, as long is it got him out of their current location. Elias didn't often frequent the place, seeing it as little more than what it was, a filthy den for filthy slaves to kill each other for the entertainment of the bored. He knew that if he had more time to grow complacent and aloof like those that enjoyed the spectacles of bloodshed shown here, he too might have found the Pit’s charm appealing. Unfortunately, he was a petitioner, and Elias barely had time to breathe most days, let alone have fun. That said, the situation he found himself in now however, was quite amusing.

Better than getting flogged and jailed I guess.” The thief sighed as he began rubbing the back of his shaven head profusely. A bad habit of his no doubt, and one that probably heralded the beginning of every horrible mistake the young man had ever made in his life by the looks of it. “Flogged?” The stryfer grinned. “That was commander Asan you manhandled back there. Commander Asan the Flesh Eater they call him. I assure you, a whipping would be a god send compared to what that man will do to you when I tell him-

No wait, ok! I’ll do it, please. I’ll show you.” The pleading and fear were enjoyable enough, but Elias was here for more than just a passing fancy of midday distraction. This runt, this mere street rat had caught the recruit's attention, dooing things Elias had never before seen until that day, and what was even more fascinating was that he had done it to a fully trained soldier of the Ebonstryfe. The unfortunate warrior in black had spotted the boy not so skillfully stealing from a stall and had approached, but when he accused the lad and went so far as to place a hand on the boy’s shoulder, what happened next had been a blur of precision and violence that had both excited and dumb founded an on looking Elias who was lucky enough to see the whole spectacle from across the canal. Now whoever that soldier had been, he hadn't been a commander, that was for sure, and he also wasn't called Asan, because Asan didn't exist being that the 'Flesh Eater' was someone he had just made up on the spot. After seeing the man go down, the Caldera’s interest had been furthered flared by what had happened afterwards. The boy had apologized as he ran away. Such an absurd thing to do after soundly snapping his foe’s arm and dumping the screaming man into the lake. It was that curiousness that made Elias decide to follow the strange little scrapper to his hiding spot. He had been expecting a fight as he crept his way into the Pit, but instead he had found his prey shocked, scared, and begging for his life. Being that Elias was a kind and generous man, to spare boy the torment that awaited him at the hands of those he had wronged, an agreement was soon struck.

If you say all you want is for me to teach you, then yes, I’ll show you what I know, just don’t turn me in, I beg of you, sir.” The boy, likely older than Elias by three or four years, displayed a suitable amount of compliance and fear towards his Ebonstryfe superior, but he had also extended his arm out at the young man as if he actually thought Elias was going to shake it.

Elias tilted his nose up at the thing and sneered.

You make it sound like you had a choice.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Words: 1255799
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2013, 1:28 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
Ravok Seasonal Challenge (1) 2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Written in the Sand

Postby Elias Caldera on May 9th, 2015, 4:05 am

The two of them met in the middle of the dusty, dirty pit where countless slaves and fighters had spilled their blood over the decades in glorious and historic bouts of combat. Elias yawned, twisting his neck from side to side and stretching his limbs in tempered enthusiasm. ‘You will come at me like you mean it.’ He had told the other boy, making the threat in his tone evident as it echoed throughout the bleachers. The hollowness of the place was unnerving. He may not have partook in the betting that went on in the establishment day in and day out, but that didn't mean he had never walked by or wasn't called here for business every once in a while. Never before had he known it to be so… empty, nor so quiet. “You live here, you said?” The petitioner found himself inquiring for the second time, still perplexed by the explanation that eluded him. Herin, as the boy’s name turned out to be, was in the middle of a number of elaborate and extensive maneuvers meant to awaken his body for the training to come, and Elias noted with disdain how much more comprehensive they appeared that his own lazy flailing. He looked up at the recruit and nodded gleefully. “At least for now, yah. I just got to the city, see, and… well I’m short on coin so no place will take me in, but there’s a fighter here who lets me stay and brings me meals. He’s real nice, and says I have a lot of potential. I’m training real hard everyday and gonna be champion like he is someday soon.

The gaudy stink of innocence and naivety wafting from the outsider was nauseating, and it was all the Ravokian could do not to gag. He shook his head and flexed his arms, fists tightening as he regarded the kid as not just another idiot anymore, but as an opponent now. “Enough dallying, get ready, and remember, fight me like you fought the Amon.

Uh… you mean Commander Asan?

Whatever!

Dropping hard into his stance, Elias began his approach while Herin appeared to be content with a more relaxed open hand stance, his palms facing toward his slightly taller and moderately heavier opponent. He wasn’t strong or at all intimidating with his doe like eyes and meek demeanor, but the petitioner had seen what the boy had done, and so firmly reminded himself not to underestimate his enemy, no matter what he looked like. For a moment however, it appeared neither boy intended in making the first move, as Herin was clearly uncomfortable about the idea of hitting yet another member of the Ebonstryfe, and Elias was doing a poor job of pretending he wasn't uncomfortable about getting hit. The young outsider had likely expected Elias to be content with a few demonstrations and friendly explanations about one move or another. He had been wrong, of course. Elias needed first had experience to truly learn, and now that he was in a position to, he demanded it… He just didn't want to be the first one to make a fool of himself however, and so he held back, closely scrutinizing his enemy for weaknesses and openings. If there had been a crowd here, they would be booing quite loudly he imagined. Thankfully, impatience and adrenaline took over and Elias rushed in swinging, realizing Herin wasn't ever going to initiate.

A quick, spinning fist that seemed to catch the boy off guard was still easily evaded, although Elias tucked the same elbow in and came around with a back fist, it too being avoided to his chagrin, but not before his enemy grabbed on. Herin's hand spun around Elias's forearm and yanked it downwards, while the lanky competitors opposite hand reached around the back of Elias's head an instant later. Pressing against his head firmly, the Caldera was suddenly forced downward, his body spinning around as he was brought to the sandy floor painfully in a whirl of actions he didn't quite understand was possible. Damnit! This had been exactly what he had hoped to avoid.

Growling, Elias didn't spend much time on the floor as he reached up with both arms, gripping around Herin's closest leg. Leaping upright with as much haste as he could muster, he smashed his weight against Herin's knee and quickly performed a grounded takedown, sending the rather timid boy flopping to the floor. He imagined with a smile that the crowd would be similarly impressed with the quick retaliation Elias mounted, all things considered. Though there was no one there to cheer him on, it didn't matter so long as he learned what he could from his opponent. The stryfer in training moved up to straddle atop Herin and dominant him with his size and weight, but Herin was extremely slippery, quite literally slid straight through Elias's legs before rolling forward and onto his feet. In the brief exchange both boys had managed to bring the other to the ground, but the entirety of their first connection with one another hadn't even spanned the length of a breath. Spinning around, Elias met Herin's eyes, and with a smile, he noticed the boy looked genuinely surprised.

Good.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Written in the Sand

Postby Elias Caldera on May 9th, 2015, 4:12 am

Barreling inward like a charging bull, his confidence and expectations invigorated by the brief skirmish, Elias swung hard with a right, to which Herin promptly replied by expertly parrying the blow. In a fraction of a tick Elias evolved his stance into a new one, enabling him to snap a strong right round kick at chest level. It was all Herin could do to put his arms up and block the blow directly, but the weight of the attack literally sent the boy backwards into the posts that framed the platform of the arena. Looking to quickly reengage with his unwanted adversary, Herin noted the motion of the stance Elias had taken, this time preparing correctly for the second kick fired his way. Sensing it appropriately, he moved into Elias's space, hooking his left arm beneath Elias's right raised leg and shoving his hand into the Ravokian’s chest, sending him downward to the ground with a loud and rather thunderous thud.

Unable to prepare for the impact, Elias's eyes bugged out quite noticeably as the air was driven from his lungs. It was with great difficulty that he managed to finally regain his breaths, all while Herin busied himself manipulating the seized leg into some sort of standing leg lock. Elias pulled his leg back suddenly, the weight differences in their body types giving him enough of an advantage that he brought Herin with him in the hasty maneuver. Attempting to raise his torso up to strike at the boy whom was now bending over slightly in an attempt to keep up with the motion of the leg he had finally seized, Elias began striking with his fists in an effort to force his leg free so he could obtain a more advantageous position.

As expected, a few blows, even glancing, were enough for Herin to re-evaluate his commitments to the hold, however instead of releasing completely as Elias had hoped, the slender framed outsider dropped into a roll as he gripped one of Elias's punching arms, sweeping his feet down and across Elias's chest as he began attempting to hyper-extend the recruit’s elbow. "This is called an arm bar." Elias heard from across his entangled arm, and with a start he realized it was Herin speaking, as if even in the middle of the bout the boy had enough pity and time to start giving him instructions like Elias was some fool child. He could have roared in indignation at the very notion, but instead his time was too preoccupied with struggling to roll his body over, or even just get his arm away from Herin. He was already beginning to feel the tendons in his arm reaching their most taut, elastic state, and the panic was quickly setting in. The pain from his elbow was starting to make finding a way to reverse the hold very difficult, and by now Herin had locked himself around the wrist so tightly that it would have most likely taken a third party to get him to let go.

Struck with his head and chest pinned by the other boy’s legs, and his arm thoroughly wrenched in a most vulnerable position, Elias was faced with the prospect of having to… No, I’m not giving up!. His arm quivered in the strain of resistance, and it wouldn’t be long before Herin had completely extended it and ended their impromptu match. He had to think, and quickly! Despite his anger earlier, the move was mostly foreign to him, but he knew there had to an answer to it. What had his training taught him that could help here?

Twist your body as I lean back. Then pull your arm free.” He heard Herin say, a new found strength wrenching at Elias’s limb now. The arrogance! Elias fumed as he twisted his body in concert with Herin's. The audacity! The hold slackened as his palm now faced his opponent, freed from the pain, and a tick later, freed from the hold as well. How dare he! His body liberated for the most part, he was able to crawl his way up Herin’s prone form unabated. He quickly mounted his opponent before he could right himself to face the challenge.

You learn quickly. Good job.” Herrin congratulated from his back.

…Thanks.” Elias mumbled awkwardly, and rolled away.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Written in the Sand

Postby Elias Caldera on May 9th, 2015, 4:20 am

After a few ticks to collect themselves, the two returned to the center of the ring, ready to engage again. Thankfully his arm had recovered well enough, but the fear of getting himself caught in another position like that, especially given the incredibly quick nature of this Herin, was palpable now. He was no master of holds and submissions, and he knew too few ways to deal with them to not be nervous around someone so apparently well versed, but that was why he was here wasn't it. If not now when the opportunity presented itself on a platter, then when?

"Start!" he ordered, to which both young men moved in on one another. Elias snapped several jabs out, mainly to test his reach on Herin, as well as to determine if he could bait him into going for the arm. Herin was quite good at simply keeping his palms up to bat away any blows while also utilizing his narrow target area to weave around that which his hands didn't need to attend to. Suddenly shooting inward toward Elias's legs, the petitioner quite literally jumped over the attack, although his right foot caught the urchin's shoulder as he surged up and over. Reacting quickly as he started to fall, Elias rolled unto his shoulder and utilized his forward momentum to come back up into a standing position, spinning around to face Herin once more.

As Herin looked to slip back into Elias's vulnerable space, the stryfer caught him with a perfectly timed front kick, knocking the kid back to the edge of the platform. Galvanized by the landed blow, the Caldera Immediately followed up on the success, swinging a hard right to the body which connected solidly, causing Herin to hunch over from the meaty impact. As Elias swung his elbow around to finish his opponent off however, he understood too late that Herin was trained enough to fight through the pain of the most recent attack and so was quite able to bring his hands up to stop the elbow with both palms. Vice like fingers quickly manipulated the arm as they took hold into the start of another one of those arm bar moves. Frightened, and rightfully so, Elias recognized the absolute priority to keep such a thing from happening and brought a foot up to stomp down on one of Herin's, but some quick footwork on his part had Herin ducking straight around Elias and wrapping his arms around the bigger fighter’s waist.

Trying to look for a target behind him, Elias swung an elbow backward, but the attack was way off target. As his body torqued, Herin must have felt the shift in his opponent’s momentum and drove a leg into Elias's calf as he spun the Ravokian off his feet. Elias clamored to the ground with Herin on top of him, the little shyke quickly shuffling around to grip an arm of his choosing. Almost as quickly as the hold in the first round had been applied, Elias found himself struggling to keep his arm from being peeled away yet again.

This time however, he was prepared, but not with the same tactic as before, as Herin was no doubt waiting for that given how quickly he had reused the same hold. He was probably planning to demonstrate some lesson about it, the smug punk. Well, he was in for a rude surprise! Elias, quickly tucking one hip beneath himself as best he could, began to pull his extracted arm inward far enough to allow his free hand a solid grip on the trapped one. The result was an odd handshake with himself, but weird as it may have seemed, the strength of both arms fighting against the arm bar was enough to keep Herin from cinching in the hold completely.

Breathing heavily, Elias suddenly grunted with effort as he started to climb to his knees, drawing Herin in with him. Then, in a scene that was as impressive as it was unexpected, he stood up, Herin still attached to his arm. The boy never had time to unlatch himself before the end.

Like a falling tree, Elias plummeted back down the ground with as much power as he could muster. The sands of the arena shuddered at the impact as Herin crashed into the ground upon his back. The force of the blow was enough to cause a total slack upon Elias's arm, allowing him to pull free and stand to his feet again. Herin on the other hand, groaned a little and squirmed around in shock and breathlessness a little while longer. It was what he deserved. There had never been any chance the same move would work on Elias a second time.

You’re right. I do learn quickly.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Written in the Sand

Postby Elias Caldera on May 9th, 2015, 4:28 am

On the outside he appeared to be in exquisite control; barely a sheen of sweat to be seen on his scalp or a weary breath upon his lips. On the inside however, was another story as he could intimately feel his muscles starting to become exhausted as the session dragged on. Even if each ‘round’ wasn't very long, the opponent was strong and alien to him, and having to counteract such a different style than he was accustomed to was troublesome, even if he was showing some success early on.

Again!” He barked, not wanting to lose the moment or the rhythm of combat that went along with it. Herin had been rubbing the back of his head again, though this time to ease the ache of the fall from earlier and nothing else... At least Elias assumed so. If the boy decided to run again just because things were getting a little rough, the petitioner would be very displeased. “You said the fighter that looks after you saw potential. Show me what he meant.” Elias goaded, and by the light that suddenly sparked in the other boy’s eyes, it looked like it had worked.

With both of them as ready as they were ever going to be, Elias acted first, wasting no time and rushed in, immediately landing a huge right hand to the side of Herin’s face. At least it had appeared that way at first. The wrestling thief didn't appear too damaged by the blow as he rolled his face with the punch, swinging an arm up in an attempt to distract the Ebonstryfe recruit. In response, Elias lifted his left forearm to block whatever type of attack it was, only to recognize at the end such a movement was merely a feint. Instead Herin followed up by drilling his shoulder into Elias's midsection and wrapping his arms around a stumbling Elias. Rearing backwards, the Caldera attempted desperately to keep his footing, only to find his efforts in vein and his back on the floor once again.

Often having to employ them against the bigger petitioners during training, Elias was quite accustomed to the single leg take downs that he had just fallen victim to. Unwilling to be undone by it however, he yanked his foot free rather abruptly, only to start spiking it at Herin in order to get the man back and away. Herin circled around like a predator, juking left and right in order to try and confuse his enemy, deceiving him into misinterpreting the assault’s direction. He knew that all the boy needed was an instant in order to shoot in and gain dominance. Luckily Elias found his feet before that could happen, but the two still circled each other, any attack just a ploy in order to pry open the other's defense.

The two of them were locked in that stand still for a while, each hungrily seeking a way in and being denied at every turn. In one particular exchange, Elias was able to land a particularly solid blow to the knee, which caught the thief off guard and even dropped Hiren to one leg. It was the first opening in their grueling -what was it now, third round f fighting?- and so Elias didn't hesitate to capitalize. Perhaps the smaller boy recognized what was coming and could have been able to stop it had he the time or the wherewithal, but in the end it didn't matter as the young Ravokian planted a hard knee strike straight across the outsider’s jaw that put him flat on his face.

If you think just because you’re bleeding means our deal is done, you’re sorely mistaken.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Written in the Sand

Postby Elias Caldera on May 9th, 2015, 4:37 am

The attack had been brutal and satisfying to say the least. Herin may have been a stalwart and resilient young man, but even he couldn't help but spit out a mouthful of blood as he struggled back to his feet. Beneath him his legs wobbled slightly, but through training and the building of his endurance he somehow managed to find his stance quickly enough. As a merciful man, the Caldera allowed his sparring companion/punching bag a moment to regain his composure. If he was in an exceptionally charitable mood, he might have even given the boy some pointers on why he was losing so badly...

But he wasn't.

Herin wiped the red from his lips and spat once more to clear his tongue of the rancid iron taste that filled it. He nodded with a tenacity that surprised, and the petitioner nodded back in return out of begrudging respect, slightly impressed with the stubbornness of his foe. Impressed didn’t mean charitable however, and with a low growl, he attacked again. Moving forward, Elias unleashed a low round kick. The heavy slap of the top of his foot impacting Herin's outer thigh rang out, causing the wrestler to pick his toes up from the ground in an attempt to remove some of the resonance. Elias, seeing this brief change of balance, rode the momentum and spun around with initial strike, shooting his left foot outward with a ballista like side kick. The attack landed so hard that it nearly upended Herin off his feet again, but the outsider trained hands reached around the ankle even as it was denting his abdomen, pulling Elias backward with him. In that moment Caldera realized the boy had been playing possum, taking hits and leaving openings only in an effort to gain the perfect hold on his opponent. An opponent who now dreaded what was to come next.

Wrenching that ankle around, Herin sought to bring the Ravokian to the ground and cinch that leg into a painful lock around his ankle. Just when it looked like the Ebonstryfer was doomed to fall, bouncing precariously on one foot to keep himself afloat as he was, he leapt from the sand and swung his free foot around with a kick to the back of Herin's head that the little grappler, fixated on his captured prize, never saw coming. Landing hard on the ground with a heavy crash, Herin followed suit, first dropping to his knees before descending flat on his face. Of the two of them, only Elias rose back to his feet.

The thief slept with a peacefulness that belied the throbbing welt forming on the back of his shaven head, and Elias allowed him his rest as he went about collecting his things and dusting himself off. Though he was not conscious enough to thank him, Elias was sure the young boy would be grateful for the time he was allowed to slumber, because once the Ravokian turned him in to the soldier he had attacked, poor Hiren was going to find rest a luxury he would no longer be able to afford.
Elias Caldera
Playa

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Written in the Sand

Postby Bartholomew on June 18th, 2015, 9:30 pm

-Elias Caldera-
Experience
Skill XP Earned Skill XP Earned
Intimidation +1 Persuasion +1
Observation +5 Acrobatics +1
Negotiation +1 Body Building +1
Rhetoric +2 Endurance +2
Unarmed Combat +5
Wrestling +2
Lores
Lore Earned
Herin: Fears the Ebonstryfe
Herin: Lives in the Fighting pits
Herin: Better at Training
Herin: Not just another Idiot
Armbar
Escaping an Armbar
Items Aquired :
  • Injuries: For a total of four days Elias will experience the effects of this battle on his elbow and back. On the first two days his back will especial become a nuisance with his everyday activity. His back will heal on the third day, however; but his elbow will fully heal on the fourth.
Additional Comments
Congrats. You managed to keep me very entertained. Nice writing my friend!

Elias was a petched up kid :(

Apologies, but Elias is going to have to be a little more clever against his enemies if you want him to receive tactic skills.

Please remember to delete this thread from your grading request.
If you have any questions, concerns, or problems with my grading then please send me a PM and I will try to correct them the best I can.
-Light Dicey

Bartholomew
Player

Words: 98215
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2015, 3:02 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes