Closed The First Encounter (Varial Blackhand)

The first time Varial and Sh'Ky meet.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

The First Encounter (Varial Blackhand)

Postby Sh'Ky Naes on May 29th, 2015, 2:17 am

Spring 48, 515

'Ky had almost got the merchant right where he wanted him. The man trusted him completely, especially after he drove off a petty thief, who had taken the man's obviously fake ruby ring. However, there was one item that had caught the dark-haired man's attention. A small, as of yet unnoticed pair of earrings that appeared to be actual gold. 'Ky didn't know if the man knew what he had, but 'Ky wanted those earrings. Could be worth a nice gold or two at the Fence. And the merchant had gotten sloppy, even going so far as to drink from a small flask at his hip, trusting in 'Ky's ability to keep his goods safe. 'Ky, in his leather armor, and with his metal gauntlets, did make an imposing figure, he supposed, so it would be an accurate assumption, if 'Ky wasn't planning on ripping him off. What the merchant had agreed to pay for his services wasn't even a fraction of the money he'd get from the earrings, even if he made next to nothing. "Ay, m'boy, the merchant slurred, in a near-drunken stupor, "I think I'll be makin' an actual profit t'day! And it's all than- than's to yew, mate!" He raised his flask merrily, and 'Ky might've joined in, except his chance was near. If the man looked away for just a second...
College is picking up, sorry if I'm not on for long periods of time.

How did you know that what you sought was redemption and not righteous vengeance?
Redemptio et quomodo iusti non quod petitur intelligis quia quod vindicta?

ImageImageImage
Sh'Ky Naes
Sometimes good people do horrible things.

Words: 82544
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2014, 12:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Vairial Blackhand on June 2nd, 2015, 8:39 pm

Vairial had been frequenting these markets more and more as of late. His coin had begun to run a little low for his liking and the only skill he was at least competent in was hypnotism. He had been working his little trade from the beginning among various merchants, but it was slow going. He had to be very subtle with his advances, only resorting to mostly unnoticed and small bits of mental conditioning. A lot of the work was observation however with the occasional use of djed to manipulate the situation. He seeked to build up trust with some of the merchants, or perhaps make them take a liking to him in hopes of receiving a discount, or maybe until they let their guard down. If he had been a thief by trade he could have already been lifting masses of product from under their noses already. That was a sure fire way to get caught stealing for the Symenestra however, what with all the eyes that already seemed to glue themselves to his pale-skinned, red-eyed form.

The first day he had already wrote off any of the merchants who had some strong pre-dispositions of his race already, those were more work then it was worth. There were many merchants such as this. Now, he glided along in the crowded market, making his way through crowds where he had to. He was heading to the merchant he had made the most progress with, a man he would most often find drunk, or on the way to being drunk. It was for this reason he had been easy to manipulate in the first place. As he approached however, there was a different individual there, a man in armor, clearly a bodyguard. The Symenestra did not acknowledge the man yet, a plan formulating in his mind as he walked past to where the merchant sat with his wares.

The man's eyes already seemed to light up when he spotted Vairial, and he offered him a seat behind the stand, "Kazel! Come, sh't, I would'n want me best customer to be lef' standin in the sun." Vairial thanked him graciously, rounding around to sit in the shade behind the stand, placing himself next to the drunken man. The man disgusted Vairial and he would kill him immediately, even if he had nothing to gain from it. He would lose a lot if he did however, especially in such a public place. "How have you been? Business been good I am guessing? You seem to have hired a body guard." He worked his magic even now while he conversed with the man, using words and expressions to channel it. The two conversed for a bit, quiet enough that the bodyguard could not hear however, except for the occasional loud outburst of the drunken merchant. They would have to pause a few times as customers sauntered up. It seemed they spoke of mostly menial things, such as the weather, business, and the merchant's family. These things were of course terribly boring to Vairial but they were steps he had to take to enact his plan.

Vairial began speaking in a hushed voice now. "You know, from what you've told me you are not paying this bodyguard very much, are you sure you trust him?" He began sowing in some seeds of doubt about the bodyguard now. Vairial figured if he could convince the merchant the guard was untrustworthy he would grow to trust him more. He only needed something to seal the deal, perhaps he could frame the guard in some way...
Vairial Blackhand
Player

Words: 9155
Joined roleplay: February 19th, 2015, 1:14 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet

Postby Sh'Ky Naes on June 5th, 2015, 1:16 am

"Kazel! Come, sh't, I would'n want me best customer to be lef' standin in the sun." 'Ky immediately turned his attention to the newcomer. This 'best customer' of the man was some character, all right. Freakishly long arms and legs ended in.... claws? No, just long, sharpened fingernails. And those eyes... it was hard to trust someone with eyes like those. That unnatural color, compounded with the shifty and slightly repulsive look in them. Over the course of their small talk, 'Ky edged closer, both to get a chance to swipe the earrings, and to hear what they were saying.

At the man's whispers of doubt, 'Ky smiled and shook his head. "What reason would he have to distrust me? You know how hard solid money is to come by in this city. To find one source of income is good enough." Flashing a brilliant grin, he said, "I wouldn't do anything to endanger that." Eyeing the freak more carefully this time, he kept a close look at his hands. Those claws looked like they were easily nimble enough to swipe something from the table. "However, I don't know what YOU'RE up to." The merchant held up a hand and smiled weakly. "Sol, surely this trust is unwarranted? I've known him for about two weeks now, and he doesn't seem a bad sort-" Sh'Ky, in his alias as Solomon, interrupted him. "Zeke, this is why you hired me, no?" Turning back to the freak, he leaned in close, and said, "So why ARE you here?" And why the petch are you interrupting me in particular?

The seeds of doubt WERE planted in the merchant's mind, but for now, they were dormant, not given any reason to bloom.
College is picking up, sorry if I'm not on for long periods of time.

How did you know that what you sought was redemption and not righteous vengeance?
Redemptio et quomodo iusti non quod petitur intelligis quia quod vindicta?

ImageImageImage
Sh'Ky Naes
Sometimes good people do horrible things.

Words: 82544
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2014, 12:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Vairial Blackhand on June 12th, 2015, 8:59 pm

Vairial's red eyes glittered with what seemed like amusement for a second as the guard piped up, apparently he had been eavesdropping, how rude. "Being a guard can be a good source of income, I suppose, a small amount albeit but steady, and reliable." Turning to face the guard now, his fangs glinting in the light as he smirked his red eyes peered at him. He could already see the man was unsettled by him, so he figured he would have some fun with it.

"Unfortunately, most in sunberth aren't looking for that sort of income. Most are influenced by avarice, or perhaps the will to survive. Any chance a man could to get rich quick is taken." Vairial was able to see the man had edged closer to the table with most of the wares on it as well, and at this he narrowed his eyes, would he actually steal something? That would sure make his job easier.

There was a moment of tense silence for a moment after Sh'ky started questioning him, during which Vairial held an air of innocence, raising his hands innocently as he spoke, "I truly do not know what you mean, sir. I am merely looking after the best interests of my close friend here." he said, patting the man next to him, who nodded in agreement. "As for why I am here? Do I really need to have a reason to visit a good friend?"
Vairial Blackhand
Player

Words: 9155
Joined roleplay: February 19th, 2015, 1:14 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet