Hunger [John Griffin, Markus]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Ash'eny on November 26th, 2010, 5:38 am

Timestamp: 48th of Fall, AV 510

Ash'eny stepped out of the Ironworks, a new, and beautiful, mace in his hands, a glitter of madness in his eyes, and a trembling in his arm that from anxiety. It had been so long since he had held a weapon with intention to kill. Well, he still didn't plan on killing anybody, but he had a hunger to use the weapon in some way, the only way a weapon was used. He wanted to be the shyke out of a bush, to thrash a tree until his arms quivered from exhaustion, to crush the heads of whatever dared to wander too close.

The problem was that Syliras tended to be heavily guarded, and bashing the living snot out of property was highly forbidden. Where could Ash'eny go to just work his muscles into rubber and his anger into nonexistence? He would have to wander around, maybe even outside of the great walls if he must. He didn't particularly like that idea, since it would be dark soon, and the wilderness was known for being incredibly dangerous. Yet, even with knowing how dangerous it was, he didn't particularly mind, he just wanted to bash something with his knew weapon. Was that too much to ask for?
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Words: 195301
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2010, 8:17 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby John Griffin on November 26th, 2010, 10:57 pm

The leather of his studded jerkin creaked slightly as he hefted the spear. The shaft was six and a half feet of sturdy ash, and the head was leaf shaped iron of moderate quality. This will do nicely, thought John. He had decided to buy a spear a few days past, but not had time due to patrolling until today. The knight was about to motion for a nearby shopkeep when he saw something that caught his eye. Another man was leaving the Ironworks with a mace, and a peculiar look of craziness in his eyes. Not the insane craziness; just the 'I may do something stupid soon' look.

With a sense of urgency, John rushed to the counter and handed over the two Miza price for the spear, then hurriedly followed the crazy-eyed man out of the Ironworks. A knight was always on duty, so practicing with the spear could wait. Best to make sure the mace wielder was no threat to anyone before he went along on his own way.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Words: 100281
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2010, 5:42 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Ash'eny on November 28th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Ash'eny hadn't even been walking long before he looked over his shoulder to find John following him. It wasn't particularly suspicious really, until they had been walking longer. Each time Ash'eny glanced behind, he saw John following him, and did he ever look determined. Ash'eny found himself instantly feeling excitement, fear, and rage all at once as the knight (which Ash'eny wasn't aware he was) pursued him. It was the life of Sunberth surfacing. What was this man? A thief? A mugger? Somebody that just wanted to cause harm to him? Ash'eny turned away again and grinned as he felt his hands tighten on the weapon he had just purchased. He would lead this man to an alley or darker, lesser visited part of the city, then the three of them would talk. The three being Ash'eny, John, and the Mace.

Ash'eny picked up the pace a little, glancing behind him once more at John, who would certainly know by now that Ash'eny knew of his presence. It was just a matter of time before Ash'eny found a nice little place to jump the following man. This might have been just the thing he needed. He was feeling violent, so why not be violent? He wanted to destroy something beautiful, and life was just that. No, he didn't plan on killing anybody, that was ridiculous... just maybe making him regret ever looking at Ash'eny. Yes, that made a little more sense.
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby John Griffin on November 28th, 2010, 5:36 pm

John followed the Mace-Man for a little while, and didn't really try to hide it. Most people would hardly notice someone following them, especially in as large a city as Syliras. When the man started walking faster, and glancing back regularly, John knew he was had. That the man didn't stop to confront him spoke volumes. Plenty of criminals ran even when you weren't onto them, because they knew they were guilty. The young knight's resolve to follow the man just grew stronger as the pace of the walking grew quicker.

He shifted the spear to his left hand, resting it on his shoulder. That way, if it came to it, his right was free to draw his sword. It would be much better for close quarters, not to mention that he was a pretty good swordsman, compared to his relatively little experience with a spear.

He walked even faster, trying to close the gap.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Ash'eny on November 30th, 2010, 7:10 pm

And closing the gap he was. Ash'eny found himself glancing into windows to watch for the reflection of the man with a heinous looking and very large weapon trailing him. He was closing in. Ash'eny felt an interesting tingling in his fingers as he realized that he wasn't particularly scared, but anxious at what could happen. It had been so long since he had fought instead of run, a long time since he stood his ground rather than flee as a coward. Ash'eny turned the corner into a rather small alleyway, but stopped as he slipped away from Griffin's sight. Surely the man would continue, maybe even hasten to regain his contact with Ash'eny, who was waiting for him to turn the corner, surprise him.

No, Ash'eny did not swing the mace to kill the man. He was innocent of crime, so far, and Ash'eny did, in a somewhat secretive way, work for the Knights. Tucesi would not think well of him if he killed a civilian without cause. As John turned the corner, Ash'eny grabbed him by the shirt and threw his back against the wall, the closer he could stay to this man, the more difficult it would be for his to use any weapons (unless he had a knife or dagger like Ash'eny himself did). Ash'eny grinned, their faced were mere inches apart, it was likely Griffin could smell the nearly completely-diminished scent of alcohol on his breath from hours before. No, he was not drunk, but he had not eaten since he last was, there was little in the way of that breath.

"It'd be best not to follow a man that you do not know. You're just a kid." Ash'eny groaned painfully as he released the shirt. Ash'eny knew that killing a kid, even if he was technically an adult (Ash assumed he was younger), would be even harder to weasel himself out of. He was almost upset that it wasn't a grown man (or that he thought was), at least he could claim self-defense and get away easily. "Listen boy, I'm on edge, I wouldn't tail a man when he's conflicted with mixed thoughts of morality and violence, it's likely to get you killed." Ash'eny lifted his four-fingered hand to his face, sliding it downwards in a resigned manner. He was moments away from leaving the kid where he was if he didn't respond soon.
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby John Griffin on November 30th, 2010, 9:57 pm

As he drew closer, John became more wary. Criminals were not prevalent in Syliras, and the majority of the crime that did take place was petty. Still, it was wise to be cautious, lest your let your guard down at the wrong moment. Furthermore, most criminals didn't walk around with a mace and a violent look in their eyes. The man turned into one of the small byways rife throughout the castle, and John hurried to follow suit, not wanting to loose his mark. He turned the corner, hoping to at least see which way the man went.

He saw a whole lot more than that.

The man he had been following was standing immediately around the corner, and he grabbed John as soon as he turned. The young knight's hand raced for his sword, but it was too late. He had been surprised, and was thrust up against a wall because of it. Thought his assailant was a few inches taller, he reckoned they were about the same weight. John figured he could probably wrestle the man off of him, but he didn't like his odds, due to the mace already in the man's hands. Instead, he went for his dagger, hurriedly pulling it from its sheath and positioning its deadly point just under the man's armpit as his attacker's horrid breath swept over him.

As the man spoke and released the collar of John's shirt, he quickly lifted the dagger up in between them, it's point now directed at the man's throat. "I'm more than just a kid," he said, steel in his voice. He was a knight, after all. Then the man admitted to as much as John had suspected. "Which is exactly why I followed you. It's my job." Realizing that he was being a little vague, he added. "My name is Ser John Griffin, of the Syliran Knights. And you had best convince me that you're no danger to anyone, and convince me quickly."
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Ash'eny on December 4th, 2010, 2:11 am

Ash'eny was quite surprised to see this 'child' draw a knife so quickly and point it at him. They were in an interesting situation, though once Griffin revealed he was indeed a knight, Ash'eny let a sigh of relief flow from his lips. A truly guilty man would only sweat bullets at such knowledge. "Well my young knight, I know this may not be very believable, but I am a friend of the knights myself. I am forbidden to speak my connection to them, but I do have something on me that grants immunity, however, I do not plan to risk such a thing. Come, forgive me for what I just did. A man does not easily forget his past growing up in Sunberth, such a mistake as not watching your back tends to leave you dying in the streets. My name is Ash'eny, I have lived in Syliras for almost three seasons now." Ash'eny extended his hand towards John, offering him to shake, an attempt to both greet and mend the situation, if only a little.

"In my defense though, I did nothing wrong. Perhaps I am capable of violence, but I do have morals that haunt even the bare thought of destruction of innocent lives." Ash'eny tightened his grip on the mace in his hand as he realized he was still griping the weapon, ready to strike. He forced himself to loosen up. "I bought this. I fear my job, which I do for the knights I remind you, requires more skill than I currently have. Surely you can understand." Ash'eny peered down at the sword on John's hip. It was probably safe to assume that John could not only use it, but easily massacre the thief without so much as a sweat.
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby John Griffin on December 5th, 2010, 10:15 pm

A friend of the knights? John found that highly unlikely. Why would the knights need a vagabond such as this reeking scoundrel as a friend? "A friend of the knights you say? Yet you cannot elaborate, nor can you prove it. It seems I have little but your word to take you by. And I assure you, that is not enough." He scowled as the man offered his hand, eying the mace again. Now that he had been let go, he slid away from the wall, keeping the dagger up just in case. "Nothing wrong? You assaulted a Knight of Syliras. Even if you didn't know I was a knight, which is obvious, you assaulted someone within the city's walls, and for no good reason. Suspecting someone of following you is not grounds for assault."

John tossed his dagger to his off hand and took a quick step back, drawing his sword in the process. "I am afraid I'm going to have to ask you to surrender yourself to me. I shall take you in, and if what you say is true, you may be released without issue. But first. Drop the weapon."
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Ash'eny on December 5th, 2010, 11:00 pm

Ash'eny expelled a heavy painful sigh from his throat as Griffin explained so very kindly that Ash'eny was not forgiven. John obviously saw no problem in tailing a guy for no reason, giving him every reason to be paranoid, and then claiming that he was assaulted. Ash'eny shook his head slowly. "Have you ever been in Sunberth? Have you ever been born and raised to believe that every single soul that you met had the ability to stick a knife in you back just for the small pile of coins you might be lucky enough to have? Have you ever felt the cold fingers of death tighten around you throat to the point where you could have sworn you saw your next life being born? Have you ever been chased through miles of a city by a madman with a pickax and his thugs, beaten, and have your finger ripped from your hand for no petching reason? Forgive me if I find a man following me upsetting, you apparently can't understand what it is you've done to me." Ash'eny growled lightly as his hand reached under his reach through the neck.

From under his shirt, Ash'eny revealed an onyx and silver pendant, the proof of his alliance. "Do you know Sergeant Knight Tucesi Deerstalker? This is her promise to me, proof of our alliance. I've been given orders not to reveal this but when trouble comes up with the knights." Ash'eny spoke calmly in attempt to cool himself off. He pushed the pendant back into his shirt to hide it from view once again. "There are some deeds you knights cannot do. You are too clean, too obvious, or too bound by honor to perform deeds that must be done, for the greater good of Syliras." Ash'eny continued to speak, his confidence growing and there almost seemed to be a sparkle in his eyes when he spoke of the 'great good'. He may have been pissed off and thoroughly upset with his life, but he still had a respect for Syliras, what it stood for, and how he helped it. It was just a shame that he would never be respected, ever. There were but a handful of those that knew what he did, and they weren't going to speak. "I'll need your name. I'm going to have to report this to Tucesi, for precaution."
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby John Griffin on December 7th, 2010, 11:57 pm

John didn't bat an eye as the criminal tried to give him some sob story about living in Sunberth. Sure, the southern city was probably a terrible place to live, but they were in Syliras now, and it was John's duty to protect its people. "Spare me the story, I'm not interested." His heart was beating fast, and adrenaline was courses through him. Was he about to get into a real fight? Most of him hoped not, he'd rather avoid violence. But a little piece of him hoped the scumbag in front of him would try something. John had been yearning for quite some time for some action.

"Now. Let me tell you how this is going to happen," he said forcefully, his tone clear that he was not negotiating. "First, you WILL drop your mace immediately. Then you will lay face down while I search you. And then we can go check on your story. That pendant's the only reason you're breathing right now, but you could have stolen it. So we'll take a walk over to the Tank, and you can spend a few hours there while I figure out what's going on. My name is Ser John Griffin. And don't worry about reporting me, I'll be talking to Sergeant Deerstalker myself." The young knight's eyes narrowed. "Now drop the weapon."
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Next