OOC Info The Cyphrus & Sea Of Grass Q&A Thread

If you have questions on Cyphrus or The Sea of Grass, please ask it here. Do not PM a moderator. Mods will answer this thread.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

The Cyphrus & Sea Of Grass Q&A Thread

Postby Gossamer on January 12th, 2016, 8:26 am

Well, since we have opened in 09, the Drykas haven't had an easy time of it. ST's have hit the population of Cyphrus with plagues, slavers, disease, and the Djed Storm. That means what was once 10,000 strong is more likely 3.5K - 5K realistically or even smaller.

Endrykas was never a big city. We term it a city, but honestly its a collection of people that ban together for safety and protection. And because they are banned together, they need to keep moving because all those people camping together as one with livestock and herds really takes a toll on the land if anyone stays anywhere longer than a few days.

So... I'd say the average population of Endrykas is somewhere between 500-1,000 people. People are more likely to be in Endrykas in the winter when its down south near the desert. They move there to avoid the heavy snow storms and enjoy milder winters. The tradeoff is the grazing isn't as good, isn't as sustainable, and its far more dangerous next to Eyktol than it is at a more milder climate up north say by Syliras.

So in the Summer, the population would probably be somewhere between 350-500 people since everyone is off getting the best grazing and resources and gathering/hunting which is only really good if people spread out. In the winter, its closer to a thousand... with the fall/spring in between those numbers.

That leads me to another topic that probably needs to be addressed. Everyone in Endyrkas probably knows everyone else or has heard of them. PCs form long term relationships with NPCs. Word of mouth things travel fast. Strangers are definitely not welcome. In the whole of Endrykas, there are probably 95% Drykas at any given time and very little of anything else except the occasional rarity. A stranger would be noticed immediately and questioned.

This is an example and I'm not trying to pick on anyone, but sometimes I read things that make me kinda cringe because I don't think people think things through.

I read a thread recently where a nude starved kelvic dragged a dead animal (gazelle or something?) into the city, tried to sell the meat, and failed to do so. They then proceeded to curl up next to the animals' corpse to sleep, presumably out in the street... again still naked. No one bothered them and everyone looked the other way in the thread until a lot later when a PC approached. This would NEVER happen in Endrykas. The Watch, or any dozens of men and women, would definitely confront this individual and boot them from the city (or claim them as a slave - able to work in someone's pavilion) if they weren't attached to anyone for the sole reason they ARENT Drykas.

And people would be well within their rights to do so.

Endyrkas isn't big. But it is on the move and is incredibly dynamic. Its population changes daily depending on who rides in and whats going on. It's impossible to pin down numbers of pavilions, break down dynamics past that, etc. There are some full time year round residents, but they are the businesses that help found the city and root it into something more than just a gathering spot.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

The Cyphrus & Sea Of Grass Q&A Thread

Postby Ixzo on January 12th, 2016, 4:08 pm

This thread (if any of you are interested), is an example of what not to do, I suppose.
Ixzo
Lion of the Night

Words: 524570
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2015, 5:57 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Previous