Hunters Of A Different Feather (Zephari)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Colt on September 6th, 2015, 7:43 am

Image44th of fall, 515 a.v
midday

The day dawned in golden fire, as it often did, although the colored clouds were quickly swept away by the dark and irritated cover of thunderheads. By the time midday arrived, Endrykas had been treated to several quick shots of lightning in the distance and the rippling growls that followed, as well as the occasional ticks-long bout of showers. It was, all in all, a very indecisive sort of sky, one that was quite obnoxious with its puffing up and posing but without the courage to actually commit to a thunderstorm. At least, it didn’t have the courage yet; the weather had been the same yesterday, and most were in agreement that the clouds would break for good soon enough and dump a whole Bluevein of rain down on them.

The hunting party entered a very tense Hunter’s Allegiance that day; whispers came from every knot of Drykas, all uncertain about their ability to continue hunting competently in heavy rain. Shahar kept an ear out as he angled towards the Spit Fire with the morning’s catch.

Akaidras snorted and shuffled towards their destination at an uncooperatively slow pace, uneasy with both the weather and the dark attitudes of their usual haunt. Firm words and a kick kept him going, although he made it clear that he did not want to be here for longer than was absolutely necessary.

At one side walked Tuka, teeth full of the feathers belonging to the dead goose draped over Akaidras’ withers. At the other side walked Snow, who was so proud of her own dead goose that she had insisted upon carrying it into the Hunter’s Allegiance herself.

Snow had been growing by leaps and bounds since her odd arrival to the Dawnwhisper family, and was easily taller than any grass-bred Luvanor. While she drew the odd glance from those who saw her, she walked at the side of a hunter, opposite a cat and with a goose in her mouth, marking her as a useful hunter. And besides, she was a well-behaved creature, and she was attached to a Drykas. She was left alone, for the most part.

The Spit Fire was a bit less busy than usual, but they were still quite happy to receive the geese.

“Good to see someone’s still taking today,” said his butcher, a tawny-haired woman that he didn’t know the name of. “All that thunder’s got the hunters wary. Animals don’t like it, niether, so they stay burrowed off. Bad day for huntin’ friend, and’s only gonna turn worse, let me tell you. You want both of those birds off yer hands?”

Shahar looked at Snow. “No.” We keep that one.

“Fair ‘nuff. No good going out again, this weather over us; you stickin’ round?”

Shahar shook his head. No.

“Takin’ home, then?”

No.

“Another plan?”

“Raised Sun.”

She laughed. “Right in the head, you are. Don’t complain; just change yer course.” She made off with the goose, throwing a cheerful farewell over her shoulder. She was out of sight before Shahar could bother with a reply.

My goose?

You goose keep. All eat tonight. Shahar returned to Akaidras and remounted, signalling intent to leave to Tuka. The poor weather would make for poor hunting, and so he had an entirely different strategy to complete the day’s work. The Raised Sun would almost certainly have a job he could attend to.
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Zephari on October 13th, 2015, 8:34 pm

Engrossed in being back with her own people, Merevaika didn't have a ton of time of free time spend dealing with Zephari's random bursts of curiosity that she often had these days, not that she was unable to have a constant source of entertainment from a job.

Having made two short excursions away from the main maze of tents, Zephari found herself unusually confused by the land she was in. She was somewhat used to getting lost from her early life in the desert, because that was something that just inevitably happened, but this place was different. It didn't seem to follow the normal rules of landscapes. Cave entrances and random sudden drops, and craters. None of them seemed to have any of the normal rime or reason. Without Merevaika to have as a guide, she could get herself into real trouble

So she asked around looking to see if there was a place where such a guide could be acquired. Back in Riverfall, Zephari would have gone straight to the Sanctuary, or Gideons Arena to hire some warrior to protect her. But she had no idea. Some of the drykas miss understood what she was asking, and pointed her towards a place called "The Raised Sun", saying that's where you go to get a job. Figuring that she may as well get a job anyway, and maybe there would be somebody that would speak better common there she made a be-line for the yellow tent.

This was obviously the place, as it had quite a few drykas and non drykas walking in and out of the tent constantly, all bustling about seemingly randomly, until they actually got inside, where it was forced into a neat line up to a small desk with a middle aged Drykas man sitting at it.

The line went quickly, as it seemed that the man working the front desk was extremely fast at his job, taking applications and handing out forms nearly quicker than she could keep her eyes with. As she came up to second in line, she realized she hadn't though about the type of job she should ask for. Yahal forgive me for being so dumb! I should have thought of this the moment I got here, need to pull my weight and all. I doubt there are any mines or prospecting job around here... They have to have some type of metal or stone working though, some way to make arrows and stone tools... Yes that's something I can totally do.

The man pulled her out of her thoughts as the drykas in front of her walked away. "What do you need miss?" he asked politely, readying his quill to start writing. Taking a short deep breath, Zephari started; "I am looking for any jobs involving stone or metal work, preferably stone work, I'm a geologist".

This made Dernan raise and eyebrow at the benshira. "A geologist? Well we don't exactly have many ways to put that to work. If you are fine with stone and metal work, we have a couple of smithies in the city." She nodded confirmation, and his hand set to work scribbling down notes and request forms to send off to the smiths. He then waved her to the side, wanting to move onto the next customer.

"Actually there is something else I need too" she said somewhat forcefully, irritated at being waved off when she wasn't done. "I need to hire a guide, specifically someone that has lots of experience outside around the city. I'm kind of an explorer, and i'd probably get myself killed without a guide." she said sarcastically, but with a stern face.

He nodded, taking a side note, tacking the note to a board next to him. Probably the open jobs board, I guess I'll just have to wait for somebody to take the job, since there probably arent any straight up guides just available for hire at all times.[/i] Turning back to the benshira, he asked her name. "Zephari. How long do you think it will take for somebody to take the job?" she asked, letting her hopes get the better of her.

"You can sit over on that bench and wait if you want, it's possible I could give it to one of the people in line, or it could take a couple of days." he said, pointing to a simple bench with a blanket over it at the far end of the tent. Hoping that she'd get and answer fast, and wanted a slight rest anyway, Zephari sad down and waited.

This is the color of speech.
This is the color of others speech.
This is the color of thought.
Zephari
The Collector

Words: 107646
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1