Closed All the Luck in the Sky

The call of the wild is irresistible. (Karin pls)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

All the Luck in the Sky

Postby Jay Darkcrest on September 27th, 2015, 12:07 pm

When she spoke, Jay remembered. Of course. She would’ve understood his Fratava, she would’ve jumped at the opportunity to speak the pidgin tongue of traders and sailors. Since she hadn’t, that meant she didn’t have much contact with other Svefra and her words confirmed that. There was one thing he didn’t understand though.

No Svefra Jay had ever known would be happy as a land-dweller. All of them loved and worshipped the ocean, swam with their tavan, fished and gave thanks to Laviku. They built fires on beaches, danced and sang shanties. Whenever two pods met, they partied together on their palivars. Jay had lived his entire life as one of them, so he couldn’t imagine someone giving up all that for… land. Still, Karin claimed her mother had done just that. Trying to understand, he furrowed his brow. “That is odd. Why does she leave behind the sea? We are connected to it. It is home and family.” Then his conviction faltered. What if Karin’s mother had been born without blue eyes? He’d heard those children were exiled because they didn’t have Laviku in their eyes. Karin had the right color though, so it still didn’t make sense.

Suddenly he felt the limitations of Common very acutely. Taking a deep breath, Jay switched to Fratava. “I’m sure you’ll find the people and place you’re looking for one day. We’re travelers and we belong on our ships.” A tick later, he returned to Common as if nothing had happened. “What did you find out? About your pod? Maybe I can help you with learning.”

There was a pause as they climbed the narrow path side by side. Jay could hear her labored breathing with his sharp Kelvic ears and smelled her faint scent. Sweat and sunlight. He missed the salt that announced the sea. Tomorrow he’d go down to the docks again. Behind the next corner, they passed over rocky ground again and the forest thinned out momentarily. The plain between Alvadas and the Suvan stretched out before them. Two or three strangely shaped rooftops.

Then Karin spoke up and Jay couldn’t help but laugh. If he had known what sarcasm was, he would’ve used it then and there. “Natural. I don’t know what it’s like with only human body or dull human senses. It must be inconvenient, no?” Thinking about it, he laughed again, softly. Karin seemed weird in a tense way, but nice, so he didn’t want to offend her. If she relaxed a little, surely they would have lots of fun!
Jay Darkcrest
Pledge Faith to the Land

Words: 90114
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2015, 6:55 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

All the Luck in the Sky

Postby Karin on September 30th, 2015, 5:18 pm

As they reached the small plateau of bare ground, the sudden clearing and drop which became visible rushed to Karin's head, and she paused, her eyes wide as Jay's questions sunk home. And a veritable tsunami of emotion poured forth, her voice breaking and tumbling and rushing over words like waves over pebbles, clacking and roaring in equal measure. "My mother left behind the sea because it made her unhappy, and she didn't think at all about me. She took me away, and I was only five. It was so long ago that I don't even remember the pod, I don't remember my own family!"

"She told me..." The girl reached up to run her slender fingers through her hair, before starting again, "She told me that the pod is still out there. She told me that all my life, I've been from a culture which I didn't know anything about. That they... that we have a belief system, a mark from our god and a whole way of life that I don't know anything about!" She rolled up her sleeve, gesturing wildly to the mark of Laviku that swirled and danced like the tide on her skin.

The girl was breathless, her heart pumping in her chest. She made quite a sight, her blonde hair sticking up at odd angles from the way her fingers had run through it, her sleeve abstractedly pulled up, the other hanging down. Her blue eyes wild and burning a dark blue.

Her voice took on a dark, burning undertone. "I've been stuck here for most of my life, under the 'rule' of my step-father who has reduced my mother to a husk of her former self, and I've lived here, on land, feeling miserable as petch, all because of a stupid whim!"

Jay had been standing nearby she sensed, and his question, rhetorical or not, which he'd asked shortly before her outburst still hung in the air. With a short, quivering sigh the girl slid down onto the floor, her head in her hands. "Inconvenient." She laughed too. "I know this isn't what you mean, but... my senses feel dull. Dulled by the land, I..." Her voice broke, and she shrugged it off angrily, before continuing, although her voice had quietened now, to a semi-spoken whisper.

"Jay, what is your animal form? Do you know what it feels like to swim, to live on the ocean? Have you felt the sea breeze, the endless skies above your head and the rolling waves beneath you? Can you imagine then what it's like... to have never had that, and then suddenly realise that it's always been out there, just cut off?"

The girl had been avoiding the kelvic's gaze, simply because that was what she was used to in any social situation. But she looked him full in the eye now, a deploring look in her gaze, something deep and searching. "Jay... I want to know... Can you tell me?" She didn't put into words exactly what she wanted, because she felt she couldn't without breaking into unwanted tears. But the deep need to know about the Svefra had sunk into her bones, and she felt that this man held the answers.

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

All the Luck in the Sky

Postby Jay Darkcrest on October 3rd, 2015, 10:45 pm

When Karin spoke, her tone had changed. Two steps ahead of her, Jay stopped in the middle of the plateau to give her his full attention. His eyebrows rose high when she talked about her mother. It was hard to imagine any Svefra being unhappy on a ship, on a beach, in the water. It was in their nature, wasn’t it? They were marked by Laviku, most of them from birth, and connected to the sea all the time. He’d always thought that went for all Svefra. Apparently there were exceptions.

That in itself the Kelvic could accept, but not that said Svefra had kept all that from her daughter. Everyone should be able to decide freely what kind of life they wanted to lead! If he had wanted to leave the sea, his parents would’ve bid him goodbye. Such thoughts and many more were running through his head, dancing and merging like the waves in Karin’s colorful gnosis mark.

Blond strands were sticking up much like his now, disheveled and trembling with exasperation. Jay couldn’t help but smile a little at the sight, although that faded quickly as she sank to the ground. If her earlier words hadn’t, that was enough to seal his decision. How could he not help a stranded Svefra? It didn’t matter that he wasn’t one of them, his upbringing and experience compensated for that. As he observed her small form on the rocky plateau, it wasn’t pity that filled his black eyes… but compassion.

Then determination. Her gaze, blue like the sea at dusk, seemed to hold and hypnotize his. When she had finished, he sat down before her and grabbed her shoulders with both hands. Usually the Kelvic shied away from physical contact with strangers, but he felt that it would add strength to his words. Karin needed that confirmation. “I will tell. You ask and I will tell you everything. No problem.”

As he remembered her earlier question, the shadow of a smile crossed his features. “I’m a marten. Land animal. I swim with family, I climb ropes of ship and I eat fish. But I’m not Svefra, so maybe I understand a little. My family is always nice to me though and treats me like Svefra. My mother too. That’s different, no?”

Tilting his head, Jay rubbed her shoulders a little. He was trying to be reassuring, but the gesture felt more awkward than anything. Still, he didn’t let go, not yet. “So I tell you about Svefra, you tell me about Alvadas and Common language. Promise, aye?” Suddenly the lopsided grin returned, inviting and challenging her.
Jay Darkcrest
Pledge Faith to the Land

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

All the Luck in the Sky

Postby Karin on October 10th, 2015, 11:55 am

Her surprise at the sudden warm grasp of the man left her blinking, but even though she wasn't used to it either, she felt strangely reassured. The man, the marten was kind and somehow seemed sincere.
"I will tell. You ask and I will tell you everything. No problem."

With a tentative smile, the girl gazed at Jay, wondering how best to start. She was still flustered, but his helpful demeanour was reassuring, to say the least. The man suddenly smiled a lopsided grin, and his challenging smile and inquisitive question lightened the mood even more.

Her emotions had been going through a storm, but now... Even though this Jay was almost a stranger, and she'd essentially broken down in front of him (something which the girl would worry about later), she felt happier in his presence.

So, with a hesitant, searching but equally calm smile the girl said, "Jay... I will tell you all you want to know, as much as I can." She was sincere, and to show him that she meant it she placed one hand, albeit unsuredly on top of his whilst it was on her shoulder. Then, with a spring upwards, the girl took hold of the kelvic's hand and pulled him upwards with a heave.

It seemed like the release of pent-up emotion had been quite cathartic, and so with an equally mischievous smile the girl started to run up the path, casting a backwards glance to Jay as she did.

"If you beat me to the top, you get to ask your questions first!" The girl giggled quietly to herself and started the jog up the path, her feet slipping slightly on some loose gravel. She wasn't sure if this was the right way to go about things, not being very wise when it came to social situations, but this seemed right for her, and hopefully for Jay too.

"And... If I beat you, then... I get to... ask my questions first!" Karin's breathing was a little unhitched as she struggled with running up a slope. But she hoped that the man could hear, as she was now a little way up the hill. So, because she couldn't actually see or hear him, she stopped and turned around, "Jay?"

OOCIt's up to you whether you give chase or not, and as to who wins the race, again up to you, although I would pin the winner as Jay ^_^ Hope that's alright!

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

All the Luck in the Sky

Postby Jay Darkcrest on October 10th, 2015, 5:26 pm

His heart lightened when Karin broke into a hesitant smile – yet until then Jay hadn’t noticed how heavy it had been. They were essentially her worries, but he felt for her because they were so close to his life. Former life.

Her touch felt good and, together with her confirmation of their promise, dispelled some of the awkwardness. When touch turned into pull, however, Jay was too surprised to respond gracefully. Instead he stumbled two steps, almost falling flat on his face, before he could push himself up into a standing position. To Karin, he would’ve felt lighter than expected. Shapeshifting and regular exercise in animal form kept his body fairly toned, but he still wasn’t the bulky type and would never be.

Gulping, he watched as she dashed off. The sight of her back and hair fluttering behind woke the spirit of the hunter though. With a surprised laugh, he followed and was soon chasing after her, bare soles pounding the soft ground. Due to a good instinct and two seasons of journeying through forests, Jay had gotten used to traversing the terrain at high speed. The path led up the slope in gentle serpentines with no obstacles except the occasional brown puddle.

While catching up with Karin, Jay found he was not only relieved, but also delighted. The girl had appeared so sober and thoughtful up until then, but he was glad that her mood had changed and definitely liked the playful side it had brought out!

With longer legs and no boots weighing down hardened feet, the Kelvic could’ve surpassed her halfway up the mountain, but he chose to attempt something more fun. Instead of following the path, he dove into the undergrowth next to it, ducking under hanging branches and dodging thickets, thus climbing up the hill in a straighter line than the path took. Fortunately, Karin was too occupied with getting ahead to notice the rustling he couldn’t avoid. Another few steps up, she stopped.

Jay froze until she called out, then a mischievous grin formed on his face. Stepping out of the shadows cast by trees, he passed her a tick later. “See you at the top!” Of course, they still had quite a bit to go and he fully expected Karin to put up a fight until the end.
Jay Darkcrest
Pledge Faith to the Land

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

All the Luck in the Sky

Postby Karin on October 21st, 2015, 10:24 am

The man was nowhere to be seen. In dismay, her face fell, expecting that she'd lost him along the way, but as a shape dashed out from the undergrowth, a competitive grin spread across her face.

See you at the top, huh. The girl sprinted into action, her feet pounding against the floor and her hair flying like tattered pennants behind her as she strained her body to go faster. By nature a swimmer and more used to long distance and slow, steady exercise, the girl soon developed a small stitch in her side.

But she could still see the man in the distance, and she appeared to be catching up! Thud thud thud thud thud thud... Her feet felt heavy as they trampled the path beneath them, but the man, and the top were getting closer...

The stitch in her side had got worse; she had wanted to call out and playfully taunt the kelvic, but her breathing was preoccupied with running, so she couldn't.

Instead, she focused. I will reach the top, I will reach the top...

Apparently not. A few moments later, and the girl had stopped, hands on her knees as she bent over breathing hard. A cool and very refreshing breeze wafted over her face, and she blinked a little, getting a few strands of hair out from her eyes as she surveyed the problem.

The man was still running, in the distance, but not too far away. The top of the mountain was close, she could see a few trees and rocks and it appeared to be levelling off. But the girl was exhausted. On the other hand, she didn't want to let the man win, her once hidden competitive streak had shown itself, and she wanted to win, even if it was in jest.

Also, a competition which she'd instigated should surely be won by the instigator, shouldn't it? But as she watched the man run, noticing and remembering his kelvic nature, and agility, she realised that unless she got a move on, she would definitely lose.

With a sudden burst of energy, the girl pushed off from her position, only one goal in mind. The top. She was so focussed that everything else was obscured from her vision, Jay, sky, floor... All she could see and think about was the top of the mountain, and the fresh air and rest that could be found there.

Aaaalmost there...
Almost...
And the girl collapsed onto the ground, dramatically brushing her hair from her face and breathing huuuge heaving gasps. It wasn't that she was unfit, far from it, her swimming days had given her a core strength that kept her alive whilst suspended in water.

But the action of running, she'd quickly found out that she wasn't built for it, her muscles were swimming ones, not quick-sprint-running ones.

So she rested her head on her arm, and re-gained her breath, not even noticing if Jay had got there first or not. Just a little more rest until I find out.

NoteSorry about the length, both of the post and the wait for it!

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

All the Luck in the Sky

Postby Jay Darkcrest on January 5th, 2016, 9:51 am

After the sprint he’d put up to pass Karin, Jay fell into a slower, but steady trot. Running like that, he was able to reach the top without overexerting himself and collapsing from exhaustion once he’d hit the goal. However, it also meant he stayed within sight of his competitor and could hear her steps behind his back. After some time, he started listening more closely as they seemed to be coming closer.

Then they stopped and he grinned. Still, he cast a hasty glance over his shoulder. Bent over, Karin appeared to be out of breath, but not in serious trouble, so he went on. She was probably taking a break, getting ready to put up a fight during the last bit they had to go.

Jay slowed some more, trying to challenge her by staying within sight longer, and took the time to enjoy running, the surroundings and the good autumn weather. Breathing in deeply, he smelled the fresh aroma of wood, damp leaves and wildlife all around. The ground under his bare feet felt good, sometimes muddy, but overall soft and comfortable to walk on. He’d expected most Alvads to avoid the mountain and surrounding wilderness as much as they could, but Karin seemed different. Then again, she was a Svefra, although he’d assumed her to be land-dwelling city folk like the rest of them. No matter what she said, it showed in her actions.

At the back of his mind, he heard her feet pounding the ground again, coming closer with surprising speed, and pushed his own legs to go faster. Still, he couldn’t help his drifting thoughts… If he did hang out with Karin more as promised, that would bring up memories. Jay didn’t want to remember, yet he guessed he’d deal with them as they came. Try not to think of Jalaal too much.

Suddenly the last climb was behind and the breathtaking view opened before him. The top of the mountain! At the same time, Karin passed him in a flash of pale locks and gasps. Jay watched as she collapsed on the rocky ground. A lazy grin took over his features as the realization dawned. “You did it!” After a moment of hesitation, he clapped. She’d deserved some applause, after all. Indeed, although more exhausted and breathless, she’d definitely beat him. “Looks like I think too much. Didn’t notice until you went past. You alright?”
Jay Darkcrest
Pledge Faith to the Land

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

All the Luck in the Sky

Postby Karin on January 6th, 2016, 8:38 pm

As the girl straightened from her bent-over position, she heard a clap-clapping of hands, and her eyes widened a little as she realised... she'd beaten him! Karin laughed, goodnatured, and stood up properly to pat Jay on the back.

"I'm... surprisingly great, thanks!" She smiled, a little shy but altogether much more relaxed and naturally than previously that day. Kicking at the dirt a little, she looked around properly. "Hey, Jay. It's really beautiful up here." She indicated the surroundings, for they were indeed beautiful. All around them lay the forests and foliage of a natural Alvadas, the rock dark and crumbled and light and firm, with earth and sweet, clear smells.

The girl tossed her long, blonde hair over her shoulder, and gazed as far as she could see, in every direction, getting lost in it for a moment, before gradually coming back to reality and turning to face her running companion. "And are you okay? That was a nice run. Not something I'd do everyday, but... a nice thing to do."

To say she enjoyed this was an understatement, and once again she predictably turned her gaze to the mountain. Nothing could beat the ocean, and in her gaze she was ever searching for that glittering blue, but being away from people, and away from houses and streets was such a blessing that she couldn't begrudge this mountain, with it's golden hues and it's wild, free nature.

With a little sigh of contentment, the girl stretched herself, arching her arms into the sky, before huffing down and stretching out the cramp in her leg. She then faced Jay properly, and, with a feeling of lightening, she asked, "So... what's your favourite thing to do? Do you run often... you seem good at it?"

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

All the Luck in the Sky

Postby Jay Darkcrest on January 7th, 2016, 6:18 pm

His grin widened when Jay saw she was alright. She seemed to be recovering more quickly than expected too, a hint at previous physical training. To the Kelvic, that was just another way in which she was different from the city folk he’d met so far.

When Karin pointed out the view, something in her voice resonated in him. Looking up, Jay took in the amazing landscape of green and brilliant orange treetops, disturbed by occasional naked rock, stretching out right under their noses. Beyond, only blue sky and a few small white wisps. They couldn’t see the Suvan Sea, although Jay knew it had to be somewhere to the east. Still, it felt amazing to stand on top of Kalea and feel strong wind on his skin, tugging at his clothing with the promise of freedom. “Aye, it is.”

When Karin tossed back her hair, the flash of pale blond mane became a part of that landscape too. For a brief moment, Jay was taking in her instead of the forest. Then she turned and addressed him again. “Aye, was fun. I’m tired now, but with fun, tired body is alright too.” Frowning a little, he hoped she understood.

After some time of watching, Jay threw himself down on the warm stone and stretched his legs, wriggling his toes. Of course, since he tried to go barefoot whenever he could, even on paved streets, they were quite dirty. The Kelvic didn’t seem to mind though. His lopsided grin returned as he answered Karin’s next questions. “No, not like this. I run a lot as animal, of course. Catching food. Traveling. I came here over Suvan Sea, but before that I went through forests of Sylira. Big forests.” He only had to glance again at the trees with branches pointing at the sky, listen to birds singing and little noises in the shadows to answer her last question. “Favorite thing? Maybe climbing things. Back with my Pod, I always climb masts of ships. Trees too, but not very often. You like it too or not much?”
Jay Darkcrest
Pledge Faith to the Land

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

All the Luck in the Sky

Postby Karin on January 8th, 2016, 6:19 pm

They stood there for a little while, taking in the landscape. The girl felt refreshed, and presently Jay sat down with bare feet outstretched. The girl joined him with a small sigh of satisfaction, leaning back against a well-placed boulder and burying her fingers into the tough grass.

The man talked of travel, and the girl tilted her head slightly, wondering. "I've not ever left Alvadas, not since I came here. It must be.. nice, to have seen so much of the world already." Her curiosity burned inside her, but she let the man carry on before posing her own question. Conversations with other people never usually lasted long enough for her to learn more about people, but with Jay she felt that maybe she would be able to learn more, if he let her.

Comfortably, she stretched her legs out in front of her and said, "Well, I haven't done much climbing. I'm a little afraid of heights, actually, but.. not so much, I think. Only if I'm stuck on narrow ledges. Maybe if I knew how to climb then I'd like it better? Why do you like it, if you have a reason?"

"I feel more at home in the water, though. I'd spend the majority of my time there if I could." With a little gesture, the girl reached down to start unlacing her boots. The cool earth and grass looked appealing on her toes, and after the run her feet were feeling uncomfortable. As she spoke, she judged the man's expression. He was still a virtual stranger to her, but one that had listened to her rant and seemed to understand... Someone who could be a friend...

"But Jay, could you tell me more... about your travels? If that's okay?" A person's history was their own, and of course it was personal. But if the Kelvic assented then she would be listening with open ears, thirsty for tales of adventure. Her boots were now propped tidily next to her, and luxuriously she wriggled her toes into the dirt and grass, feeling comfortable and at ease.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

PreviousNext