PM to join Trading Burdens (Jasmine)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Trading Burdens (Jasmine)

Postby Colt on September 25th, 2015, 9:00 pm

32nd of fall, 515 a.v
mid morning

A veiling mist had fallen over the Sea of Grass, and it had lasted for days. It was thickest in the morning, when the usually endless expanses of Cyphrus were instead shrouded in a thin layer of silver until all one could know for certain was the vaguest edges of their own camp. Aside from memory, the most reliable tool for finding one’s bearings was sound; the whuff of zibri at the outskirts, the snort of horses made irritable at suddenly not being able to find the best morning grass. It was a thick and uncooperative fog, one that left many of the city behind on the tasks they were meant to complete.

For Shahar, the mist had been a mixed offering; while he certainly didn’t like not being able to see where he was heading, it had also had the effect of both veiling his traps and suppressing their scent to unwary creatures; both snares had been filled in the night, one with a lean groundhog and the other with a tangled navira pidgeon, each corpse bearing trinkets that others would want. The fur and feathers were stripped and tucked away for selling, but the meat was immediately processed and spread throughout the camp. There was no time to offer meat to others when they needed it themselves.

As such, Shahar made his way to the Hunter’s Allegiance with only the skin and feathers to offer for trade; it certainly wouldn’t summon up a large price, but it was better than nothing. And the Allegiance was more than just a place to pawn off kill trophies; it was a congregation of hunters that time and again proved invaluable at connecting skills and people. It was this connection that Shahar needed more than coin, and it was what he would be looking for today.

He entered the outskirts of the Allegiance just as Syna burned the last of the mist away, Snow on one side and Tuka on the other. Snow was hungry, and although he could not hear Tuka he could only assume that she felt similar; brief, small meals in the mornings were not enough to sustain the two of them for the entire day. They needed food, and Naiya and Khida needed food, and Seirei and the twins needed food; the mere act of feeding his family had become a puzzle to be figured out day after day.

He hoped today would be the day he felt some of that burden lifting.

Shahar had asked Zethar to spread the word to those that might be looking for an opportunity to sharpen their skills; the clanless Drykas knew his way around the plains well enough, and he had some experience teaching others. All he needed was an extra pair of hands, even for a day, and he could use those hands to hunt bigger prey that he could otherwise not hope to pursue; two people were always better than one, and, assuming that such a person was capable of listening to instruction, Shahar would gladly teach some of his skill in exchange.
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Jasmine Stormblood on September 26th, 2015, 2:01 am

Jasmine was working like usual as she hears about one of the rouges looking for a helping hand out on the plains. With time off from The Guided horse Jasmine would have plenty of time to lend an extra hand. Once the young Drykas finished she whistled calling Chaser over to her.

"Come on big boy let's go for a little ride." Jasmine knew which general direction the Hunters Allegiance was in.

Clicking her tongue Chaser cantered off to the Hunter's Allegiance easily finding the building.

"Don't go far," Jasmine said jumping down from Chaser's back going inside of the building looking around and seeing an old friend.

"It can't be," She said walking over to the one and only Shahar.

"Shahar Dawnwhisper been a while since I last saw you," Jasmine said with a smile walking over and standing beside the slightly younger man.

Though Jasmine is older mind you by just a year Shahar is far more experienced than the female Drykas. Jasmine had never really been one to want to do anything different than what her families specialty was. Lately though the young Drykas was craving more than just being a horse trainer; she wanted to be able to fight and help collect food for her people in the winter.

Jasmine looked when a man walking around asked her about anything to trade, "not yet but I hope to have something soon."

She hoped that would appease the disgruntled man who just seemed to get in an even more foul mood that the girl had nothing to trade for coin or other products.

The Clan is Strength.
The Clan is Life.
Last edited by Jasmine Stormblood on March 6th, 2016, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasmine Stormblood
The Clan is Strength, The Clan is Life

Words: 263067
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2013, 2:51 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Colt on September 26th, 2015, 3:02 am

As Shahar had predicted, his meager offerings from the morning did not yield more than a few coins. Better than nothing, it was true, and at least there had been food to eat, so it hadn’t been a complete loss… but it still left him with a hollow knot of worry in his stomach, because he would have to do the same tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that until a more permanent solution was found to the problem.

Exchanging the goods for the money, Shahar made his way in between the Allegiance and the Spit Fire, where many of the hunters gathered. He kept to the fringes, eyes alert for any familiar faces.

“Dawnwhisper!” Zethar’s was a voice he knew, and it gave him some measure of hope.

Respectful greeting formal.

“How goes the morning?” Zethar asked, bending at the waist to invite Snow to say hello. The pup yipped and trotted closer to the old tracker, allowing him to pet her head fondly.

Thin bounty, Shahar replied.

“Ah. I heard that you’ve put out word for help. Have you lost your touch, friend?” Jest.

Touch with what?

Zethar chuckled. “I wonder.” He straightened, which was a signal to Snow that the petting session was over. The pup returned to Shahar’s side. “Someone’s heard it, you know.”

Come again?

“Word is passing. There is someone that wishes to help.”

Where?

“If I’m not mistaken, that might be her right there.”

Shahar turned to where Zethar was indicating, and was greeted by the sight of a honey-haired striding towards him. There was something familiar about her…

The woman seemed to have caught sight of him as well, and she was clearly angled in his direction. Snow whined uncertainly, not sure who this new person was, although she made no move of anger or true fear. Shahar watched the woman approach with cautious stoicism.

“Shahar Dawnwhisper,” she said. “Been a while since I last saw you.”

Yes, he had met her before, hadn’t he? A brief flicker of memory sprang to mind, of a winter’s day and a brief passing of greetings.

Recognition, he signed to her. See before, vague memory, greeting, what do you desire?
Colt
Miss Communication

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Jasmine Stormblood on September 26th, 2015, 5:32 am

"Well that was two winters ago. I heard you could use a hand getting bigger bounties, since I have next week off from work I thought I would see if you wanted a couple of eager to learn hands with you," Jasmine said with a smile looking at the man before her.

Smiling gently Jasmine kneels down and offers her hand to the young pup to show she means no harm to it or Shahar.

"Such a cutie. I bet you are the bravest little pup out there." She said with soft voice smiling gently as the pup starts to move closer to her hand.

"That is if you want someone who is untrained," Jasmine said looking up at the man before her talking to him.

The Clan is Strength.
The Clan is Life.
Last edited by Jasmine Stormblood on March 6th, 2016, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasmine Stormblood

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Colt on September 26th, 2015, 8:41 pm

She seemed unperturbed at his lack of recognition; he was certain he had seen her before, but the details of the when and how continued to exist as vague, blank shapes in his mind.

"Well, that was two winters ago,” she reassured him, apparently not at all put off.

It occurred to him that she had a remarkable memory for events if she remembered not only their meeting, but his name.

“I heard you could use a hand getting bigger bounties,” Jasmine continued. “Since I have next week off from work I thought I would see if you wanted a couple of eager to learn hands with you."

Yes, he had put the word out, hadn’t he? He didn’t know what sort of experience this woman had, and he wanted to be able to choose between helpers… but there was no time. Trained, untrained or somewhere in between, Shahar needed help, and he needed it as soon as he could get it.

With a smile, the woman knelt and turned her attention from Shahar to Snow, who perked up curiously. The woman offered her hand formally for Snow to inspect, murmuring in Pavi as she did so. While Snow certainly didn’t understand the Pavi, she did understand the offered hand and took a moment to sniff at it. There was nothing threatening about it, she decided, and so she hesitantly began to wag her tail to signal her approval.

“That is, if you want someone untrained.” Now she was looking back at him, offer standing in the air.

Shahar didn’t want to admit it, but he was desperate. He needed help, from anyone that was willing and able to provide it.

Acceptance, he said. “When can you begin?”
Colt
Miss Communication

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Jasmine Stormblood on September 27th, 2015, 1:59 am

"Right now," Jasmine said with a smile and looked at the small pup.

"See? Nothing to fear," She said before standing up to look at the young man before him.

Did she truly remember him? Of course not hardly anyone knows someone after not seeing them from two years, all she could remember was that they had met while she and Chaser had been out for a ride. The main reason she recalled his name was because she had heard some of the men say it as word spread. Though she could not and still cannot fathom the reason about why the men had been so reluctant to come and help the man before her.

Jasmine looked hearing Chaser getting restless outside.

"I had best get back outside before Chaser tries to charge his way inside to see if I still live." She said with a smile looking at the man before her.

Jasmine turned and began to walk away before turning back towards the Shahar.

"Let me know when you are ready to begin." She said and walked back outside of the building as his companion was surprised at her boldness and tone of voice.

The Clan is Strength.
The Clan is Life.
Last edited by Jasmine Stormblood on March 6th, 2016, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasmine Stormblood

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Colt on October 2nd, 2015, 6:13 pm

Right now.

Shahar nodded in curt understanding; meet up, outside, gather your supplies, to the west there is “Three boulders,” large, together. Meet there.

Jasmine stood to attend to her strider, and Shahar turned to attend to his own companions. To Tuka he signalled intent to move time to go, which spurred the she-cat to stand from where she had been lazing and make her way to his side.

Snow wagged her tail and sent a pleased look his way, she liked it when she made a new friend.

Shahar led the two of them to where Akaidras waited and vaulted into the yvas. The pup and cat fell into comfortable step at each flank. They had been making habits of it, and it was now the norm for Tuka to be on the left and for Snow to be on the right; all four of them were creatures of routine, and it was an effective routine they had made that was neither difficult nor complicated. It was their own.

They four of them left the Hunter’s Allegiance at a quick pace to return to the Dawnwhisper camp; Shahar hadn’t expected such an immediate response, and so he had not brought along Drelah or the body sled. In a few minutes they had returned to their home, where life continued as it always did; the Seme stood with the rest of the horses, and he lifted his head when Shahar dismounted and made straight for him. The Drykas gestured for peace and friendliness and follow, leading the gelding deeper into the camp where the equipment waited.

The body sled was in Aani’s wagon, folded and unused. Shahar took a brief moment to spread it out and make sure that it was still sound, then hoisted it onto Drelah’s back and secured it. They wouldn’t need it yet, and so there was no reason to be dragging it on the ground until necessary; once they had a beast to bring home would be when it was used.

When his business at camp was done, Shahar remounted and led Drelah, Tuka and Snow from the camp. The three boulders to the west had been where he had indicated for Jasmine to meet him, and he hoped he wouldn’t have to wait for long; he didn’t know how well-equipped she had been at the time of their meeting or if she even had anything left to gather. In any case, it was the three boulders that he headed for, and, if necessary, where he would wait.
Colt
Miss Communication

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Jasmine Stormblood on October 4th, 2015, 5:24 am

Jasmine rode back to her house and got out her Yvas.

"Okay big boy I know you don't like the Yvas but for this trip we have to take more than just the two of us this time." She said with a smile.

Jasmine grabbed the blanket that goes to the Yvas and put it on Chaser as he snorts and tosses his head.

"You have to come to terms with it." She said while grabbing some bags to gather herbs with as well as flowers to get the scent extracted for the soaps around the village.

"Next I need," Jasmine said while looking around after getting the bags packed on she grabbed a couple of knifes as well in case they were needed before thinking.

"Food," She said and got plenty of apples and carrots to eat while out on the plains.

"That should be everything," She said and mounted up clicking her tongue.

Chaser snorted and raced out of the village as Jasmine looked around trying to find where the boulders are.

"Three huge boulders grouped together," Jasmine said and slowly stood up on Chaser's back looking around as she finally spots them to the right.

"There! This way and watch for Journeymen and Glassbeaks," Jasmine said and clicked her tongue as they took off racing to the boulders.

"I hope he hasn't been waiting long," Jasmine said as Chaser ran jumping over rocks and some small logs.

After about twenty or so minutes riding the two arrive at the boulders not seeing Shahar there yet.

"Strange I was sure he would have already been there," Jasmine said and jumped down stretching and looking around the pair.

"I haven't been here yet which is surprising," Jasmine said.

The Clan is Strength.
The Clan is Life.
Last edited by Jasmine Stormblood on March 6th, 2016, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasmine Stormblood

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Colt on October 7th, 2015, 3:58 pm

Jasmine was waiting for him. Good. There was less time to waste.

Snow perked up curiously at the sight of their new companion, and at the general air of professionalism that surrounded them.

Hunt-stance? she asked. New friend Shahar Snow Tuka hunt?

Yes, Shahar replied. Together-hunt.

This excited her, and the pup immediately began looking outwards, towards the open grasslands. Shahar busied himself with acknowledging his companion and explaining their situation.

You and I, we hunt, he signed to Jasmine. Large animal. Seek, find, trap, kill, return. He turned and gestured to Drelah. This, your job. Handle him, lead him, wait, hide, I tell you. Understanding, you accept?

If she did accept, Shahar would give a curt nod. One more thing, seek find prey. He slid off of Akaidras’ back and went to stand near the three boulders. He sat down and crossed his legs, leaning back against the stone in preparation for his next journey. I go into Web, find our prey. You must guard me.

Snow, already aware of what followed when her partner closed his eyes during the day, padded over and leaped somewhat clumsily onto one of the boulders, where she adopted a stance of protective surveillance; if anything approached, she would be the first to detect it.

When all was well, Shahar closed his eyes and focused. The grasslands began to hum around him as he opened his senses to the threads of djed, live with the souls and memories of a thousand Drykas. He took a breath, found the closest thread and dragged himself in.

The separation from his body was, as always, incredibly jarring. In an instant he had left behind his flesh and bone and cloth and metal, and all of his thoughts and hopes and dreams were suddenly everything. He ceased to be a man and became Shahar in the purest, most untainted form.

He clung to the strand of djed like a spider, and through it he felt the vibrations of a land interwoven; voices and movements rippled outwards like rocks thrown into a lake, fading outward and informing all the Web of what was happening. Every creature made a ripple as it went about its daily business, and the information was temporarily overwhelming.

Focus. He had to remain focused. He was still next to Akaidras and Snow and Tuka. If he could find them, the rest of the grasslands would be put in perspective.

A few moments of concentration and the ripples of his companions made themselves known over the din of the mice and birds and grass around them. They were larger, and their vibrations were stronger, particularly Snow’s. Yes, he could see them. He knew where he was.

He knew where he had to go.

Shahar started off towards the northwest. It was mid-fall, and so most of the migratory animals would have long since begun their slow trek to the south. The center of Cyphrus would be the stage of a hundred herds making their way towards the warmer climate of the Eyktolian border; if he just found an appropriate water source, surely he would find a herd there.

The Zeis river was not far, and was as good a place as any to start. Although it was not as full as the Bluevein, it was a strong river that remained even after the heated summer they had experienced. And it had its origins in the great Zeis lake, which could be a secondary prospect; both would draw animals from miles to slake their thirst before continuing their journey southward.

Travel in the Web was much faster than horseback, and while it took a bit of roaming to find the river Shahar managed it in a small amount of time. Old ripples continued to buzz at all points along the bank; plenty of herds had come here to drink, but he needed to find one that was still here.

Wait, what was that? Was it… yes. Farther up, near the lake itself grazed a herd of larger herbivores. Following the threads of their passage, Shahar learned that they had stopped by the shore of the lake, then had lingered to avail themselves of the thick foliage that grew around it. They were very slowly making their way south, following the eastern shore of the river. If they continued, then Shahar and his companions would only have to find a southern part of the river and follow it north until they met the herd halfway.

Shahar blurred back to where his body lay, hauling himself out of the Web and into the material world. He opened his eyes with a soft gasp as his senses crashed down on him again, filling him with sights and sounds and smells and the rough feel of the rock at his back.

Happiness see again! was Snow’s booming greeting.

Confused greeting, reorienting. He took a moment to ground himself in his body once more, flexing his hands and shaking his head to clear it.

Knowledge, he signed to Jasmine when the dizziness faded. Large animal many, to the west and north. Find river, follow it. He stood unsteadily and made his way to Akaidras, leaning against his strider for support. Once he got into the yvas, Akaidras could carry him until the rest of the effects of his ethereal journey passed.

Towards Drelah, Shahar indicated friendly to Jasmine. Amiable, will listen, will obey. Caution, he’s lazy. While Shahar was willing to share the duty of caring for Drelah for the first leg of their hunt, he would need to move ahead without the Seme or the woman if he wanted to direct the herd in any one direction.

Leaping into the yvas, Shahar signaled intent to move, time to hunt to Tuka and bid Snow to follow.

Hunt? You find?

Yes. We go. Shahar turned back to Jasmine. Follow me, he said, and when the party was prepared to move, he started west.
Colt
Miss Communication

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Jasmine Stormblood on October 8th, 2015, 1:57 am

Jasmine got on top of Chaser ready to ride behind him. Chaser snorted unsure of the man and creatures before him and Jasmine.

"Ready when you are," Jasmine said looking at Shahar.

She waited as Shahar used the web to find the prey that the pair would be hunting. Jasmine yawns stretching as she awaited for the man before her to come back from the web; she had only started going into the web a few times the past two years. She looked as the young man finally came back from the web; Jasmine clicked her tongue to Chaser and turned to face where the river is and follows Shahar as they began to move out to the river.

"It is warm today which is surprising," Jasmine said quietly looking up at the sky as it had been colder than normal the last few days.

Jasmine looked at the seme and motioned acknowldged with a soft smile to the other horse as Chaser snorted not wanting the horse anywhere near the young female drykas.

"Hush now," Jasmine said looking at Chaser and shook her head.

Jasmine looked to the smaller hunting animals with a soft smile and signed her acknowldgement to the smaller animals as well happy to see the young pup again as well as his young cat this time. Jasmine hums gently looking out towards the open sea of grass knowing the dangers that its calm exterior hides.

The Clan is Strength.
The Clan is Life.
Last edited by Jasmine Stormblood on March 6th, 2016, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasmine Stormblood

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Next