The Restitution Of Idolatry

Minnie seeks the history of a courtesan

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This main section of Abura is accessible only with wings or a chair-flight.

Moderator: Liminal

Postby Philomena on November 11th, 2015, 5:00 pm

Minnie heard the lantern-light more than saw it - the light in the sky was still high, and here at the spire's pinnacle, the cruel white of it was unfiltered by kindly dusk of shadow and lamplight. It made the red-dim mouth of the chamber seem darker, as the voice emanated.

The voice, though! You could swim in it, and it poured so thickly, that the swimming might carry you up, if you didn't wash away in its current. Now, the formality of her dress felt insufficient, for this was no longer simply research, this was something deeper.

I ha' left my story. This is the story of someone greater than I.

She squared her shoulders, adjusted her dress from the chairlift, and unpinned her hat to hold before her. Her boots pinched unpleasantly at her ankles. She curtsied with her regular incompetence, there on the porch to no visible recipient of her politeness.

Entering, her eyes began to run across the walls, with a torturous slowness. It was, perhaps, the most alien place she had ever visited, an altar to something that she could not understand - not emotionally, anyway, for intellectually, it was simple enough. The prosaic was fine. Her eyes stopped for a comfortable rest on a picture of an Akvatari gathering water from a sinuous river with a silver ewer, until she realized that in the shimmer of its surface, you could see the reflection of... she could not avoid looking at it. A child lay on a torn scrap of earth, her tail cut in tiny slender fissures, with the buds of wilted thorn-roses pressed into their hollows. This made her feel sick - but familiar too. It made her mind run into dark hollows, and she felt the thrill of her own death that she felt around the Evalin. The girl's face, in her mind, began to meld with that of Hannah, the girl that old Everto had fed to the Evalin, so terribly long ago. She felt smaller and smaller seeing it, felt docile and ill-fated.

Her shoulders began to cower, and she turned away her face - but the walls of the cave held no respite, and even the stone floor felt as if the striations in it nestled into terrible shapes, as if the cracks and irregularities spelled out all-devouring tales.

It was the last picture that saved her from being swallowed by the room entirely, for it was this image that left her alienated. In the image, an Akvatari woman here painted slow brushstrokes across a stone wall, her face obscured by the fall of her hair, beautiful waves of long, unbound hair, so soft on the stone wall, that Minnie felt the impulse to leap at the wall, to try to force herself into the image and wrap the long around herself, the nestle her face into it, to breathe the scent of it. The other hand held a slender penknife to the throat of man whose face was bent in the pain of lust, his hand at the throat of a third figure, a woman bent into the same passion, as they copulated on a cushion at the woman's feet.

But it was something in the twist of the man's fingers into the tender flesh of his paramour's shoulder that made her eyes travel back to the painter, and behind the fall of hair, just barely in the dark humid shadow of it, she could glimpse the contours of an eye, and the eye looked back at her. The other figures in the tableaus she had wandered over were bent upon their own pursuits, their own world, sometimes cruel, sometimes mild, sometimes. This one alone, had looked at her, the observer. And she looked back into, now, transfixed.

Look at this. Look at these who I hold sway o'er, and forget the teachings of the mind, look only on thy heart. And know that you understand this, all of this, at some level, and you wish for it. All that you have ever sought and wished for is on these walls, and the dark is inextricable from the light. You understand all of these things, and you desire them.

And her eyes looked back upon the two lovers at her feet. And she realized with a sort of shock, that no she didn't - she neither understood more desired this. And in that blindness, she understood something else, something that they eye could not fathom.

I look on thy wall, shadowed eye, and I feel just as thy people feel when they look on the stars and sea and sky of the Gods.

And a trickle of pity came with that, just enough pity to let her not be swallowed up, enough for her to leave the walls and pour back into herself, sicker and sadder and lonelier than when she began.

She stood just behind herself and spoke very soft, "Hello, Eversinger. I ha' come to ask about an acquaintance of thine. And 'haps a box that is nae yours, that I think thou may 'ave."
x
Philomena
Player

Words: 718931
Joined roleplay: December 29th, 2012, 3:40 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Liminal on November 13th, 2015, 2:18 am

There was laughter in response, laughter that was heart-stoppingly beautiful at the same time that it was icy cold.

Then the words came again. They seemed first to come from Minnie's right, then from her left. In front of her, behind her, above her, constantly changing, the sounds coming to her through an almost narcotic haze.

"An acquaintance of mine? Surely, Doctor, you know that a liebsanger never discusses her clients. If Krindre failed to tell you this, she has done you a disservice. Perhaps, should she come again to visit me, I shall loan her my copy of The Art of the Liebsang. Mayhap she has need of it, and the library is so far from this tower."

Was the teasing playful? Was it calculated?

"And a box that is not mine? But Mother Semiyr knows I would never disturb a geldbox, and her prize geldscryer must know the same, mustn't she? Whatever tales may be told of me, I am not a geldthief. Perhaps you would like to read my book? I've learned so much more since I wrote it, but it might serve as an introduction, perchance?"

The voice slithered around Minnie, catching at her ears.

"You may sit, of course. A seat of pleasure? A seat of pain? The red leather sofa beside you conceals knives in its pillows, knives coated in a tincture of a fish-poison that opens the mind in unimaginable ways, if you care for both. I could sing to you, if you wish, or tell you the story of the walls, which so interest you. So much is here, Doctor, more than is held in every hall of learning or pleasure or torture in Zeltiva."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Philomena on November 16th, 2015, 11:33 pm

Minnie shifted uncomfortably. The voice! And that beautiful laughter - she felt the sound of it like a connoisseur with wine: first the laugh itself, that woke the smothered half-ideas of happy childhood, in her, and then a maturity, a thick grey honesty that made that child unsure, and a final sharp hook of amorality on the finish, total empathy with an utter lack of compassion. It made her feel very small, and very needy.

“I think I’ll-I’ll-I’ll” her voice stuttered, and she closed her eyes, to breathe a moment and gather herself. She left them closed.

“I think I’ll just stand, thank you, ma’am,” the voice came out thin and nasal, and wavering. In the rear of her head, she felt the fingers of another her, trying to find the right face to put on, the right person to be in order to interact with the voice.

She sings - oh, she sings! What songs that voice would sing!

“Y-you know, I’m sure,” her lecture voice, resonant and unappealing as a goose call, shook unsteadily, but the slow precision required to speak with that clarity at least gave her time to think, “I’m sure… I… I think, anyway. You know what I am asking about, and… and I think you quite likely know that I don’t refer to a geldbox, either, madame. Please don’t make me say it,” she had intended this last to sound imperious and dismissive, but it came out more like a child asking to be allowed to run to the privy.

The eyes shutting took away the paintings, but it made the silk-and-fishhook voice more intimate. It purred and licked, and ran across her neck, making her feel woozy. Her hand went, only half conscious, to where she used to wear the scarf over her neck-scar, but found only the scar. She fussed at it now in slow shivering traces, the red keloid flesh like terrain over which her fingernail could travel. A little mole stood slightly raised on the skin beside the scar’s far end, and her thumbnail caught it just for a moment with each run along the scar, a tiny, an almost imperceptible snick of pain, of the roughness of fingernail whose corner had been torn by a poor grip on the basket-winch a few days earlier, the malleable flesh of the mole.

“The box, and the old wood-carver, and… and…”

Her mind of a sudden filled with the thought of Lanie, and its admixture with the echoing sibilance of the voice felt at once nauseating and comforting.

“No! No… just those two.”

But her lips shook as she said it, and her cheeks were pale. Perhaps it was an order, perhaps a statement, perhaps a plea. She did not open her eyes.

x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Liminal on November 18th, 2015, 5:39 pm

When the voice answered Minnie, it was very different. Gone were the shifting tenors of playfulness and malice, the seductive tugging at the fevered corners of the soul. Now it was only serious, and perhaps a little sad.

"You've come for the box Imtapptendosin left me then."

The voice was off to Minnie's left now, though its source still could not be seen.

"He was my friend, you know -- one of the very few friends I've had in the past several centuries. We understood each other, he and I, and even if he never experienced the Ouromonad, not fully, he was one willing to approach the world I could show him without preconceived notions."

A sound that seemed like a vague approximation of a sigh.

"When he left me the box, the last time ever I saw him, he told me someone would be along to collect it -- maybe the next day, maybe five hundred years later. But he also told me that the person to whom I should give it would be able to give me a sign, a way for me to be certain that the one who sought it was also the one who should have it."

Now the voice was on the right, but its shifting did not seem to be part of the elaborate game it had been playing only a few moments before.

"What sign do you carry, Philomena Lefting, that I should give to you that which was entrusted to me by my friend?"
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Philomena on November 20th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Minnie’s terror stilled a touch beneath the soft branch of a different emotion: the pity returned again. She almost opened her eyes, but still did not, though her hand reached out to touch… well, nothing, seeking a hand, that perhaps did not even exist now.

It was the loneliness of it that struck Minnie, and she began to feel a kind of kinship with the woman. And with this room, too - in a sense, she began to consider it akin to the House of Lives Lived. They came perhaps from the same instinct: the instinct to preserve shadows of what cannot be kept, and beauty and memory danced so intimately, it could be difficult to tell one from the other. Was she trying to remember something beautiful on those walls? Beautiful things did not come easily, and they were not always pretty.

Minnie drew her empty hand back now, and from it drew the dark glove, revealing the quicksilver flesh, and the mark of the Lady. She held it out like that a moment, then turned it over so that her palm was open, now, a timid offer.

“If you… if you felt it, the… the all-feeling. The Alroomanad. If you felt it… why are you still here? I… I mean… wouldn’t you… you go on to-to someone? One of the Gods would have to…”

She kept her eyes steadfastly shut.

x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Liminal on November 28th, 2015, 4:32 pm

A moment after Minnie extended her palm, something was placed gently in it.

If Minnie were to look at it, she would see a box, roughly cubical, four inches on a side. It seemed to be made of some kind of gray wood, though nothing that Minnie would ever have seen before. There was some kind of lettering on the lid -- lettering in the same mysterious alphabet from Kenabelle's diaries.

"That's what Imtapptendosin told me to expect, and so I entrust this box to you. I've never opened it, as he requested, and I don't know what's inside. I hope it is of value to you. Its simple presence for these many years has been of value to me."

Then, another laugh, but this one was less quicksilver, less mocking, and more...regretful?

"I didn't achieve the Ouromonad," the voice said, from somewhere behind Philomena. "No matter what anyone says, I didn't intend to die during the Excruciastasy. Not that I didn't intend to die eventually during a performance -- one can hardly transcend their current state without leaving it -- but I hadn't gotten all of the theories fully worked out. Something happened at the peak of the Excruciastasy, but it wasn't the full Ouromonad."

A brief, dry chuckle. "You're the first person in some hundred years to ask why I'm still here, and since you've made the inquiry, I'll give you a response. When I died there, I was only partway through my attempts to codify what Liebsanging could be. The Volume of Emotion started to set it down, but there's so much more to it than that! Because I had not experienced the Ouromonad, I was not divine. Were I to enter the cycle again, I would lose access to the memory of what I had done here, and it would be impossible for me to progress further, apply what I had learned, and write it down. So I stayed. I can't actually achieve the Ouromonad myself now -- it requires corporeality, I think -- but I've written three more treatises, based on intellectual inquiry, as well as the experiences with my visitors. I can't find a publisher for them, but at least they exist. When the fourth treatise is finished, perhaps I will have learned enough. I don't know."

The voice was the same, but the tenor of the conversation was so unlike that which Minnie had experienced upon first entering that she would be justified in wondering if she was still in the same place.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Philomena on November 30th, 2015, 4:18 pm

Minnie opened her eyes as she felt the box in her hands, even as a little wave of disappointment came in the more selfish part of her that she had not felt the hand that placed it. The lettering on the box stared familiarly back at her, and her thought clicked a few absent rounds.

So the woodcarver must likely have been able to read it, as well.

"There... You've a good deal of teaching to do--" she interrupts herself, "And you've none for keeping your books for you? They should be copied, and put in safety, and then circulated o' course. I dinny know if there are great scholars o' this art, but there ought to be studies made, comparisons t'some of the theories of aesthetics, or-or-or theology, maybe, I don't know. There so much to be written!"

Her excitement at the thought bubbles in her, but she takes a deep breath. Duty first.

"But... but I canny do it, n'yet, I have... I have work to be doing, for Mother Qalaya. But I want to come back, to... to come and help, if I can help. I dunny imagine I've the sort o' soul for achieving your Ehrmarneid, not I. But I could write it down, I could listen!"

She nods again, "But not now, not today. But... later, if you would have me at it."

Presuming that the spirit does not stop her, she sets the box very carefully in her satchel, wrapping it in a sheet of white muslin, and asks one last question:

"But... but I wish t'ask... ask one more thing, if y'dunny mind, its... a selfish thing, a small thing. But y'ha' been here a long time, and, and she might've been very interested in you, I... I have a... a friend who might ha' come this way, sometime, sometime I canny say when. Pale haired, very beautiful, tallish, and... it might've been round bout when... when there was a bit of a sickness in the city, maybe. Alanza, or, Lanie, or Lanie Mae, and she would have been very sad, I think, and..." her eyes are heavy with tears now, but she does not let them fall, and she restrains her galloping tongue, "I know it is nae s'likely that you might ha' heard of her here. But I canny go without at least asking, if you'll pardon me."

x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Liminal on December 10th, 2015, 2:26 am

"I don't think the demand for the books would be very high, alas." Now, the voice was almost sorrowful. "Eplusare's ideas won the day, and no one studies mine in any way other than historically. Mine were 'dangerous,' and 'misguided,' and 'antithetical to the true spirit of the liebsang'. Even the youthful and dissident who occasionally come to visit me are rarely interested in the full theoretical rigor, and to everyone else, I'm 'fully discredited.'"

The voice had returned to somewhere directly in front of Minnie. "Qalaya was Imtapptendosin's lady as well, of course. Perhaps, should you pass this way again, we can talk more. If you do not, I shall remember you regardless, though Qalaya's children hardly need assistance in the realm of memory."

Fathi said nothing until Minnie's final question was complete. Even then, there was a long silence, punctuated by faint and distant sounds from outside, before the Eversinger spoke again.

"Alenza."

The syllables echoed off the unsettling walls.

"You know I can say little of what has transpired between myself and any who have come to seek me. But I can tell you that an Alenza very much like the one you describe was in Abura, and that it was around the time that an outbreak of water fever occurred. It was years ago -- I don't remember how many -- but she had an accent not unlike yours, and so perhaps was the same person."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Philomena on December 17th, 2015, 4:06 pm

Silence. Utter silence, unless the spirit interrupts. It is a strange contrast, for inside Minnie's head, there was anything BUT silence, a cacophony of thoughts, memories, fears, hopes.

Yes, but you have promised. Mother brought you here, to know this, you can't forget her now. You wouldn't wish to.

Very slowly, Minnie nods, "Thank you, Eversinger. You canny know what I feel at the moment... no. No, I think, p'haps you can."

She shifts her bag, slightly, nodding again, "Yes, 'haps you can after all. If Dira dunny come for me, I'll come back. If she does... well, I still might come back. Thank you."

Her voice is shaking by then, and she takes this as a sign that perhaps her time of speaking is done, turning to stumble toward the door, her hands carefully cradling the satchel. If the ghost does not interrupt her, she goes to the ledge, stares, thoughtfully at the red lamp there, then summons the chairseat to her again, to descend again to the surface.

The two young Akvatari looked at her with something at once relieved and concerned, but said nothing, as they gently and silently set her back upon the earth. Minnie looked back to the lamp on Krindre's platform, then slowly, carefully climbed up to the ledge, her steps loud and clumsy.

x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Liminal on December 24th, 2015, 2:03 pm

The Eversinger said nothing else, and Minnie was unimpeded as she departed.

When she arrived back at Krindre's platform, she would find the white-winged Akvatari already outside, resting her body on the cool stone and looking off over the desert. The woman turned to see her, and her eyes lit up with...relief? The emotion was difficult to parse, but relief seemed to be a component of it.

"Thou hast returned." Concern was evident in her voice. "Art thou well? Hast thou found that which thou hast sought?"

As she waited for an answer, she raised herself up and flitted over to the lamp, which she lit.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

PreviousNext