The Restitution Of Idolatry

Minnie seeks the history of a courtesan

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This main section of Abura is accessible only with wings or a chair-flight.

Moderator: Liminal

Postby Philomena on September 27th, 2015, 10:36 pm

Autumn 17, 514
Spire of the Red Lanterns
-------------------------------

It was a day for her best dress. The feel of it was peculiar on her, now, after spending so little time in Zeltivan dress over the past months, and the fit did not help. She had put on some flesh and while she carried it with less sagginess then it had on a consistent diet of little enough exercise and plenty of kelp fritters, it was enough to make her quite aware of the differences between her own build and a young Kenabelle Wright’s. she buttoned as far as she could manage, and managed to make the rest of the neckline with a bit of contrivance, a length of grey grosgrain, and a handkerchief over the decolletage. Even so, it pinched at her flesh, almost as much as the little boots made her feet ache.

But, today was a time for high and important business. Still, it did make her wish tailoring was more common in the City-on-the-Spring. As she pulled the button hook through the boot-buttons, she had found herself realizing that what she SHOULD have looked for was a theatrical costumer, as there likely was several highly talented members of that profession in the city. But this rather clever idea had come entirely too late, and in the way of self-consolation, she had convinced herself that likely such a costumer would be unused to fitting human bodies in the first place, though she managed such a soothing only by ignoring the fact that SOMEONE must have manufactured the rather beautiful gown that Raisa had worn at the sea-opera, so long ago.

But it was not, after all, a matter of looking beautiful - Minnie still held no credence in the idea that she could manage any feat so daunting. It was simply that in matters of import, one dressed the part. It was a way of showing respect, both to those one might confer with, and to the topic on inquiry itself. And in this case, she would confer with the Leibsangers who warranted her respect, and the subject of inquiry would be in regards to the mysterious box of Kenabelle Wright, and what demanded more respect than that?

She now stood - a bit stiffly to relieve strain on her buttons - by the long pool of the house of lives lived, fidgeting idly with the strap of her carefully packed satchel. She could see the chair descending now from the lime-white tower. Minnie went to stand, then realized she already was, and took her crozier from where it leaned against the wall. The turned wood of it was light, despite it being slightly taller than Minnie herself, and it made her feel very official, magisterial almost. The Akvatari swept close enough that the chair hung just over the ground. They did not land - Minnie was an accomplished rider, now, and did not need help into her seat.

“Philomena Geldscrier, thou wisht our services?”

“Good morning to you both, Dairolot, Sevollse. I’m not dressed for swimming today, I must be off to the Red Lantern Spire, if you could oblige me?”

She was already in the seat, her satchel cinched tight to her, her gloved fingers wrapped around the lines of the seat. Sevollse, the taller white-haired one, nodded, “Of course.”

The flight was short, and the breeze only rocked her gently, instead of some of the harder days, when a stout sea breeze could tip the seat to a rather unsettling angle, especially when wind turned to howl along the channel of the Grand Canal.

The chair stopped, the two carriers, quiet as was their wont. Suspended over the hollow shaft of the Red Spire, Dairolot and Sevollse descended with a slow grace, rotating slightly as they went.

“Is there a shelf thou wishest to be set on?”

“Oh.. oh no, just the gardens. I shall be happier for the walk, Krindre is so close to the bottom. I’ll be fine.”

Dairolot smiled with a bit of puckishness about her. Likely, Minnie reflected, she assumed that Minnie and Krindre had become sweethearts of a sort. The thought amused Minnie, and so she did nothing to contradict it.

The seat stopped just above the mossed stones and Minnie slid carefully to her feet, letting the bag’s strap out again, and turning to press a few nilos into Sevollse’s hand. Sevollse took a moment to remember the tradition, and as was her general wont looked both amused and inconvenienced to even bother with such trifles, but she took it with a bow.

“Can I call for you later, when I’ve finished?”

Sevollse shrugged, “It is slow business, thou knowest. The gardens are cool, and the air sweet with the last flowers. I imagine we can wait, eh Dairolot? I have my pens and a sheet or two of foolscap.”

Dairolot nodded, “Of course.”

Minnie nodded, gratefully, and turned, just as Dairolot began on a carefully choreographed bit of aerial dance. Minnie had seen her practicing it several times, and had it explained to her that it was part of a new work at the Seasky Ballet, to which the young akvatari had earned a chorus dancer’s place.

The lamp on Krindre’s porch was lit, a fine twinkling in the dusky shadows of the lintel. Minnie turned again, to wait. Sevollse was drawing, slow, graceful arcs of black ink, while her more broadly built companion, hummed a snatch of a piece to herself, while flying in long, sinuous verticals, then falling backwards, as if pierced with an arrow. It was an affecting sight, for she hun tenuously at the top of her ascent, then fell, limply toward the earth. The movement of her wings was stylized, with precise movments that suggested the idea of death while simultaneously slowing her. The objective seemed to be to slow the body so that it stopped as close to the ground as possible, so that the last release of her weight to land on the earth was almost imperciptible as being separate from the preceding fall. It seemed, to Minnie’s mind, rather an unfair thing to ask of a dancer, but then, while she was delighted by the sight of dance, she had always been quite sure she was not suited to performing it.

Up, and down the woman went, up and down, until Minnie’s eyes began to droop, lazily.

x
Last edited by Philomena on October 30th, 2015, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philomena
Player

Words: 718931
Joined roleplay: December 29th, 2012, 3:40 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Liminal on October 10th, 2015, 1:53 am

It was not a long wait -- five minutes, perhaps -- before a figure flew out of Krindre's window. It was a male Akvatari, with a rich brown tail, but he was gone so quickly that Minnie would not be able to discern any more detail about him.

Another figure emerged, this one equipped with a snuffer for the lamp. She hovered there, her white wings almost a blur, as she carefully quenched the light. As she did so, however, she saw Minnie, and gently beckoned with her free hand.

"Dost thou bring me another Diraline?" she called out. Her voice, even when she was only talking, was both musical and sensual, like a stream of pure water running down one's back.

She said nothing else -- no doubt wishing to maintain the code of privacy that permeated the Spire of Red Lamps -- but her eyes never left Minnie, and it was clear that she couldn't think of anyone else whom Minnie might be there to see.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Philomena on October 12th, 2015, 6:08 pm

Minnie turned a bit dreamily at the familiar sound of the lantern being snuffed, just in time to see Krindre. Still a bit drowsy from the hypnotic repetition of the dance maneuver and the warmth of the autumn sun in the little garden, she hadn't the prepossession to be intimidate - at least not quite yet. Thus, her smile came through warm and genuine, untinged by the peculiar discomfort she felt on account of the interaction of the Leibsanger's peculiar talents with her own vulnerabilities. She pulled her self up on her crozier and settled her bag starting toward the basket below Krindre's porch.

"Oh, the second best thing to that, I'm afraid. I've only brought questions - though good questions can be nearly s'good, I've found."

She curtsied a big, and settled her hair a bit - it was in the awkward adolescence of it's length not quite so short as to care for itself, but not quite so long as to have all its bobs and corners neat pulled back by such an inexpert hands as Minnie's, and the dearth of humidity combined with desert wind made it tend towards the wild, here.

"Does the lady mind a little time? I... I don't want to interrupt if you have... have business, but 'ts'matter I'd rather than not be gaggling out in the open over."

The dress was better now for a being a bit drowsy-tossed, a bit less carefully laid, the stays a bit stretched, giving her a bit more room to breath ad bit less of the queer bulging around its imperfect fit. Sadly the combined careless effect of her hair and dress, her cheerily sun-dark cheeks with their muddy brown freckles, was ruined a bit by the slightly awkward hobble she made - the lady, after months of building such a callous that she even ambled barefoot across the mid-day stone walks at least for snatches of time, had grown a bit clumsy in boots.
x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Liminal on October 14th, 2015, 11:35 pm

Krindre smiled. "For thee, I have as much time as thou mightest require." She reached back inside the entryway and plucked up a torch, which she used to relight the lamp. Returning it, she added, "And I shall give to thee whatever answers I may possess."

The basket was winched up, and before long, Minnie would be able to step out onto Krindre's landing. The Akvatari extended a hand to help Minnie out of the basket, and then flitted back inside. She half-sat, half-laid on one of the odd couches that so many Akvatari used instead of chairs, and motioned for Minnie to take a seat wherever she preferred.

"I have little refreshment that is suitable for one of thy kind, but when last I happened near the Zeltivan Quarters, I procured these from Hospitality House." She gestured at a basket on a low table, in which three apples rested. "Take one if thou wishest. And please, once thou wishest, share with me thy queries."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Philomena on October 16th, 2015, 8:05 pm

449 - FTE

Minnie took the Leibsanger's hand and stumbled carefully out of the basket, leaning on her crozier with the other arm. She straightened her dress a bit, then nodded to herself reassuringly: Yes. I'm all put together. I'm not a child, I'm not a moony-eyed maid. I am a professional.

Her eyes, however, were bubbling both with the now instinctual thrill of Krindre's sitting room and the intoxicating whirl of divine mandate. The apples looked beautiful - they looked after all, as if they had been selected by someone with an eye for beauty, the rosy blush of a bride's cheek over pale gold. She picked one up, entranced - and a bit peckish, for she had not eaten terribly much before coming. However, taking the apple, she realized that she had no idea what to do with it - she couldn't maunch noisily on apple-flesh while having serious conversation, after all. So, she simply put the the apple between her two neatly-gloved hands, and held it in front of her belly, as she curled her legs downward to rest on the cushion.

The skill of resting on the ground, at least, Minnie had learned a great deal about: if one is to learn how to settle one's legs, there is no better schoolteacher than watching the insinuations of the solid, fur-sheened tails of her hosts in the desert. She rested, then, with an unconscious grace, looking for all the world like she was posing for a portrait, particularly with the compositional foci of rosy apple between bleached and starched gloves.

"I'm looking for a Leibsanger, or more likely, just some information about one. I suppose she'd be likely gone, by now, but I canny say for sure," she stroked the apple absently with the fingers of her Qalaya hand. Its skin was so fresh and delicate.

"I s'pose even there, I canny be sure I haven't said summat wrong. I dunny know if its a he or a she. Just... well, there is this..."

She set the apple delicately beside her knee and opened her satchel. Very carefully, she slid a volume of her personal notes out, and opened a page marked carefully by a supple willow-leaf. The page contained a long description of a sick Akvatari woman sunning herself while coughing fitfully, a set of notes on Charm Wright, a messy, tear-blotted letter addressed to Mara Capinsal (but clearly never sent, its composition having been only a few nights previous), and at the bottom, carefully pasted, a very precise and masterful drawing of a locket. There were two images, one shut, beautifully displacing the shimmering organic whorls of the shell, and the other open, showing the engraving - F.T.E.

"This F.T.E. would have been here, m'thinks 'round 449. A long time ago, I know, I know it is p'haps not a question you can answer. But the answer is..." she did not frown, but her eyes did, a tremble around the tear ducts, "The answer is very important to me. So I thought I ha' best try. And you... well, I wanted to start at least with a friend."

This elicited a little blush, "Well, I mean, if... if you don't mind me saying so."

The gloved silver hand held the book out, perhaps with a little apprehension of her vulnerability in showing a page of her notes to someone, but still with surety if not confidence. The other hand fell, to rest on the surface of the apple.
x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Liminal on October 21st, 2015, 8:21 pm

The look that crossed Krindre's face as soon as she saw the drawing was difficult to parse. It contained recognition, that much was clear -- but there was something else there as well. Concern? Hesitation? Fear? Some mixture of all of these.

The silence hung heavy in the air for several seconds after Minnie had finished speaking. At least once, Krindre seemed to start saying something, but swallow the words before they were spoken. Finally, in almost a whisper, she said:

"Fathi. Fathi the Eversinger."

Another long, long pause. The air seemed simultaneously electric and heavy, like the moment before a thunderstorm.

"My friend." Now Krindre looked directly at Minnie, almost as if trying to see through her. "She is here. She hath been in Abura longer than anyone, and shalt be here, I doubt not, longer than any now living. She dwelleth in the topmost room of this very tower. But--"

Her voice dropped almost a full octave here. She had the air of someone warning a family member not to swim in a lake full of crocodiles, or a knight telling a comrade's family of that comrade's death.

"--she is...different. Incorporeal. Dangerous. The answer now is thine, but if thou pursuest the question further, thou shalt do so against my most dire warnings. I tell this to thee, not to frighten thee, but because thou art dear to mine heart."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Philomena on October 30th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Minnie felt one cold starting from the soles of her feet, and another from the pit of her stomach. The two raced wildly throughout her body, finally meeting and the base of her spine, and traveling in a trembling resonance up through the vertebrae of her back.

It was a peculiar feeling, to be so suddenly terrified, for she had no real conception of what a being such as the one Krindre hinted at would actually entail, short of spooky stories and folk tales, and ignorance, in general, would have masqueraded as courage. But, it was the Leibsanger’s voice that made her shake, the low, terrified tremble, the sudden absence of control - for with Krindre, part of what made her so enthralling was that aura of control, of a power difficult for others to understand.

But now, the skin-painter's white wings turned, and her eyes pleaded. It was a queer change, at one and the same time making Minnie feel both terrified and motherly. She wanted to hide, but she wanted to hide Krindre, to wrap her up tightly so no-one could see her. It was not an overpowering urge - the rational part of her brain surmised that the woman’s fear seemed to be more for Minnie than herself - but the juxtaposition of her own urge to run and urge to protect was unsettling, leaving her unsure of who to be in the situation, mother or child. This left her in the uncomfortable middle position of ‘peer’, a difficult place to maintain with any but a very few - and the sheer polarizing force of Krindre kept her from being one of those few.

And yet…

There was at the same time, something deeply alluring about the idea of this. It was like being a character in an opera, almost, and she began to understand, at least a little bit, people who went roving for adventures. There was something seductive. But not seductive enough, for the very selfishness of the feeling made her suspicious of it.

I’m no adventurer, I dunny need an opera written about me. I’m just a bookworm with a deal of good luck on her side. I canny go up there for myself. If I go, it's for Qalaya, and for Kenabelle and for Charm and for Bethany.

There was a little voice, a smaller voice, one that she did not even let make full expression of its thoughts, that too had a desire in visiting this ancient creature. But this little voice, too, had love, a different kind, a shivering, aching sort. She set it aside for now.

She did not speak at first, only took her friend’s hand. She was silent for a moment, with her head bowed, and her eyes closed. Finally, when she spoke, her voice was low and solid and warm.

“If she is there, I’ll have to be going to see her. Oh… Krindre, I am sorry. I want to come back after, I… I want to make it through the other side. But I suppose I might not, I suppose other things might happen. But, still, I have to go - for love, I will go.”

Qalaya, mother, I will do what I can. Bless me, please.

x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Liminal on October 31st, 2015, 3:58 pm

Silence folded around the room like a quilt. It remained there for perhaps a minute -- an amount of time that seems small until it's spent in silence, when it becomes almost overwhelming.

"Then I will tell thee what I know, that thou mayest not enter the Eversinger's lair unprepared." Krindre's gaze was fixed on the remaining apples on the table.

"Fathi is -- or wast -- Akvatari. She wast among the early ones of our kind, not the generation of the Awakening, but the one following.

"She wast one of the original liebsangers. Then, there wert two important figures -- Eplusare, and Fathi. Eplusare laid down the original theory for liebsanging as art, based on the principles of Desire as Beauty, and sexual tension and release as analogous to dissonance and resolution in music. She wrote a book: The Art of the Liebsang, which is the standard text even now.

"Fathi also wrote a book, The Volume of Emotion, but it is a different kind of book altogether. Fathi believed that the measure of art was the amount of emotion it evoked in the audience, and that the best art then, would evoke not simply a large degree of one emotion, but a large degree of a variety of emotions. The ultimate expression of art, then, wouldest be what she called the Ouromonad, which would evoke in the audience an infinite quantity of every emotion at once: unspeakable pleasure, unendurable pain, incomparable beauty, indescribable disgust, and so on. It wouldest raise a mortal to the level of the divine, the avatar of art itself.

"Both her book and her liebsanging caused tremendous controversy. Her sessions grew more and more...extreme, and more performative. Finally, at one performance, before a crowd of onlookers, she pushed as far as she could. It is difficult to explain that performance, the Excruciastasy of 57, though books on the subject art present in the library in Abura if thou art interested, but Fathi did not survive it. At its peak, however, she appeared to attain some sort of visionary state. She saw something, something beautiful and terrible, though I cannot say precisely what.

"And yet, she did not leave -- or at least, not for long. She did not return to the cycle of incarnation, but remained here, a ghost. Indeed, she continued her liebsanging, even incorporeally. (Though, after the Excruciastasy, she had few clients.) However, she seemeth altered, askew, as if whatever she saw didst infect her with a madness more extreme even than that produced by her art. She dost not leave her chambers now, and few in Abura have actually seen her. Those who have, and who have survived it, have difficulty describing the experience, but say that she tempts them with visions of her vision, possessing them with something too beautiful and terrible to endure."

Krindre abruptly raised her eyes to Minnie's. "If thou must go, thou mayest instruct thy chairlift to raise thee to her platform. And if thou returnest, please bring me word. If thou returnest not, I shall sing for thee in the House of Lives Lived on the day thine geldbox is placed."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Philomena on November 3rd, 2015, 4:46 am

Minnie stood quite still, through all of this.

To feel everything at once.

Her eyes did not blink, her lips did not tremble.

Everything?
Yes, everything. All of everything, gutterslut, can’t you see that?
Oh...
What do you think, then? Everyone, you foul little thing? Everywhere?
It’s inside of me, all of it, all. That is where feelings come.
Yes, that’s right. Go, then. Go ahead. I’ve been waiting long enough.

No. Minnie-la, you know better.

I can’t be noble. I’m not a hero. I’m a professor. And I promised. I promised Sister Bethany.

Her face began to move slowly, now, her eyes blinking, struggling, to see a thing. Her lips moved, slowly.

But no, this was not the time for these thoughts. It did not matter, she had made her decision.

“This...” she reached into her satchel, and lifted teh lining, where there was a little sack inside, and in the sack, a flat, steel oval box, which she carefully unlocked, handing it to Krindre. Inside of it was a lock of pale hair, grown dry with age.

“If... If I... If I don’t... please, this is for my geldbox, if-- if Semiyr will make one for me. And... and tell her please, to take my books, and keep them safe, please, it is important. And...”

She stops, reaches in again to find a penknife, which she take and hacks two locks of her own coarse hair.

“One for Belslea-la. And... and one for you, if you will take it.”

x
Philomena
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Liminal on November 7th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Krindre carefully took the three locks of hair from Minnie, placing them in a small row inside a wooden box that rested on a low end table.

"These things I shall do for thee," she said somberly. "Though I hope I shall not have need so to do."

Krindre did not follow Minnie outside, and even after Minnie had fully departed, the lamp in front of Krindre's home remained lit, unsnuffed.

There was no basket that would take one to the topmost room in the Red Lantern Spire. The landing in front of the door was at least twenty feet square, more than enough room for Minnie's chairflight to set her down. No one was outside to greet her, but as soon as Minnie's feet touched the polished stone, the lamp next to the entryway flickered to life.

"Do come in."

The voice seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere. It was recognizably female, but almost nothing else about it could be pinpointed -- whether it was young or old, happy or sad, playful or malicious.

Assuming that Minnie obeyed the directive, she would find the interior unlike anything else she had ever encountered.

The entire room was bathed in unearthly red light; it was hard to tell whether this was meant to signify eroticism or violence. Some of the low couches looked more luxurious than any Minnie had previously seen, while others appeared to be made out of rusty bolts and razor wire. More unsettling than any of this, however, was the artwork.

Every available inch of wall and ceiling space was taken up by an elaborate mural. Thousands of figures, most Akvatari, but some of other races, were depicted in almost photorealistic detail. Some were engaged in normal, everyday activity; some were taking part in sexual activities ranging from the vanilla to the unimaginably obscene. Still others were inflicting horrific violence on each other in ways that Minnie would never even have heard of before. Sometimes, the three things were combined in tableaux of nightmarish intensity. The exquisiteness of the technique made the whole scene that much more disturbing.

"A woman! A human woman! It's been so, so long since one such as you came here. How may Fathi serve you?"

There was still no obvious source for the words.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Next